Texas Hunting Forum

Long Horn Hunting

Posted By: Hipshot

Long Horn Hunting - 04/22/08 11:37 PM

Can any of you gentleman point me in the right direction as far as wild (feral) long horn steer hunting.

Thanx !
Hipshot

Posted By: BECX

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 12:09 AM

Posted By: Flat Cat

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 12:35 AM

Heres a guy name Doug who hunts longhorn at:
www.doughuntlonghorns.com
Happy Hunting

Posted By: Cool_Hand

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 12:35 AM

Theres a ton of them in the Austin area. Welcome to the forum!

(How do you hunt a long horn???)

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 12:38 AM

And theres a bunch in Cedar Hill too.

Posted By: cbump

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 12:41 AM

That second one could be the next Bevo...

Posted By: NathanaelGreene

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:08 AM

Years ago, I suggested to a couple of guides that they offer "feral cattle" hunts.

They looked at me like I was crazy, so I guess they didn't get the joke.

Posted By: Stinger

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:13 AM

The longhorn is all but extinct. The boomer sooner has decimated the population.

Posted By: kdub

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:13 AM

how about hunting them with dogs and a knife?
actually a while ago there was a postr witha picture of a crazy auzzie who did that, apparantly they've got em in australia, he was hog hunting i think, and his pitt grabbed a bull instead of a boar.

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:20 AM

If your looking for the Meat go to Kroger....
If your looking for the Horns and Hide go to eBay.....
Other than that you could buy one from a rancher and shoot it on the spot..
Never heard of such a hunt..
Except one time, I was about 16 and was in a deer stand at the Light Ranch and saw the bushes rustlin. I drew my 30-30 and started to squeeze the trigger and a longhorn came out. Glad I didn't shoot cause I hunted that place untill George Light died in '89 and that would have been about 20 hunting trips I would have never made.

Posted By: BigBow

Re: Long Horn Hunting *DELETED* - 04/23/08 01:28 AM

Post deleted by jeh7mmmag

Posted By: caprocker

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:30 AM

if its the horns you want go to the market in san antonio..by way of mi tierra

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:36 AM

Heres some horns for $135 with a pretty little lady too..

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEER-MOUNTED-LONGHO...1QQcmdZViewItem

Posted By: MikeC

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 12:56 PM

Quote:

Heres some horns for $135 with a pretty little lady too..

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEER-MOUNTED-LONGHO...1QQcmdZViewItem

My wife would let me keep the horns but she wouldn't approve of the pretty little lady.

MC

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:02 PM

I know that everyone is having fun with this but years ago I remember reading a story in Outdoor Life about hunting feral cattle along the Texas/Mexico border. The story said that they were very wild and mean and did a lot of damage to domestic cattle in the area. They said the herds would move back an forth across the river and were a problem for the local ranchers. If I remember right the author of the story was using a 416 Rem Mag and said if he ever did it again he'd carry a bigger gun.
I'm sure that they have been controlled by now though.

MC

Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:11 PM

MIKE I REMEMBER THE SAME ARTICLE. FOR WHAT ITS WORTH.

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:19 PM

Quote:

MIKE I REMEMBER THE SAME ARTICLE. FOR WHAT ITS WORTH.

Ya think we are giving away our age?

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:21 PM

I've heard of wild cattle and had to run from them in Wyoming and No. Nevada but not as a regular hunt. How would you call them in? Rattle? (big horns to rattle), call? (would you use one of those Moo things that you turn upside down), scent attraction? (Borden's Milk) I am having fun with this just because I'm thinking of sh*t like that. "The mind is a terrible thing"
But seriously, my ranch is in open range territory (the only left in Texas)and I have never seen or heard of this kind of hunt going on. I guess asking is a fair question but I can't help from laughing.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:40 PM

Quote:

How would you call them in? Rattle? (big horns to rattle), call? (would you use one of those Moo things that you turn upside down), scent attraction? (Borden's Milk)

I just honk the horn and rattle a feed sack. Gets them every time.

Biggest i've ever taken was a Brangus Bull weighing just over 1600 lbs. He just missed making the Old Mac Donald book by 6-8ths of an inch. Dang!

Posted By: HighTechRedneck

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:48 PM

Quote:

Can any of you gentleman point me in the right direction as far as wild (feral) long horn steer hunting.

Thanx !
Hipshot

Just started a new herd and here is a 2 year old that will be throwing off some B&C Bulls. At 2 he already has a 38" inside spread with massive bases.

Posted By: booger

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:51 PM

I remember the same story. Wondered if this was joke thread but...

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 01:53 PM

Hook him up Randy.

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 02:58 PM

He is looking for feral not 4-wire high fence!

Randy that one already has already been horn tagged?

Would the brand disqualify him from IBP & Hormel Feral guidelines?

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 05:41 PM

If you are looking for meat hunts here are a few pictures of some of our feral free range Black Angus. The Angus horns come in polled version and are avaiable optional for a fee. The bull fries are the best around and will genrally feed a large group. I never could eat the horn and ear soup!

We find blowing the horn and baiting them out with Fritos and cotton seed cake works great. Just make sure you keep your pickup doors and tailgates are shut or they will try to get in the cab with you! Also watch out when you are around the feed bags or they will knock you down charge you.

They are sneaky and will raid your camp in the cool summer evening. They love hiding in the Mesquite trees on cool summer days. Shooting at this range will require open sights.

They have also been known to sneak in and drink up the beer if you are not careful! So bring plenty of dark extra beer.

Here is our processing and chilling area.

Here is a picture looking out one of our mobile blinds. We just scatter the Fritos and cotton seed cake in piles on the ground and hit the horn. As you can see they clean the ground up pretty well. They also love that solar powered water.

Sometimes they are like pets and love alittle barbequed chicken!

These hunts can be arragned year round but I will need to talk to my banker first about my chattel morgage!

Posted By: bhunter

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 05:53 PM

Quote:

If you are looking for meat hunts here are a few pictures of some of our feral free range Black Angus. The Angus horns come in polled version and are avaiable optional for a fee. The bull fries are the best around and will genrally feed a large group. I never could eat the horn and ear soup!

We find blowing the horn and baiting them out with Fritos and cotton seed cake works great. Just make sure you keep your pickup doors and tailgates are shut or they will try to get in the cab with you! Also watch out when you are around the feed bags or they will knock you down charge you.

They are sneaky and will raid your camp in the cool summer evening. They love hiding in the Mesquite trees on cool summer days. Shooting at this range will require open sights.

They have also been known to sneak in and drink up the beer if you are not careful! So bring plenty of dark extra beer.

Here is our processing and chilling area.

Here is a picture looking out one of our mobile blinds. We just scatter the Fritos and cotton seed cake in piles on the ground and hit the horn. As you can see they clean the ground up pretty well. They also love that solar powered water.

Sometimes they are like pets and love alittle barbequed chicken!

These hunts can be arragned year round but I will need to talk to my banker first about my chattel morgage!

What are you charging for a guided hunt and does the charge include processing?

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 06:37 PM

You just spent 3 days with a man who knows everything, and you come on here asking a question like this. I'm sure NY has some cows somewhere to shoot.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 07:29 PM

Hawaii

Posted By: Hipshot

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/23/08 11:15 PM

dgilbert,
For a moderator you are pretty funny !

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/24/08 12:25 AM

Sorry I didn't make the THF comedian list.

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/24/08 01:23 AM

What are you charging for a guided hunt and does the charge include processing?

Our hunts are all inclusive and price is only $5.00 per meal sizes package of meat. Steak, bull fries, tongue, tripe, rounds, hamburger, beef tail, heart liver, ribs, rib eyes, etc. Did you want the tripe, tongue, heart, tail, cabasa, and calf fries included? Our guides sure do appreciate tips! Shipping is FOB. Do you have a loading dock?
We don’t do spot and stalk hunts-to many Dang things out there that will either bite you, sting you, stick you, eat you, or run over you. So we do them all from our air-conditioned 4 door mobile blinds.

Lodging is also available as below.

OklaMoblaHoma-Nice TV & fireplace, washer, dryer, included NC.

GooseneckCamper-No satellite yet!

Discount if you take the both OklaMoblaHoma and Goosenecktrailer.

Or you can bring the family, friends, neighbors, lodge, swim, and fish at the same time on this one! Just depends on the water flow in the Pease River.

How many nights would you like to stay!

I can arrange for pick up at our local eatery if you need a ride. Our Kings Ranch Special Border Coyote Limo!

Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/24/08 01:35 AM

Yuppers I sho' can. Grab your passport and beat feet for Austrailia. Feral Cattle are a Common Problem for those barby fixed shrimp eaters.
Might also look at Hawaii same problem on the Big Island I'm told only on a small scale.
Ron

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/24/08 01:59 AM

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/24/08 02:01 AM

Quote:

You just spent 3 days with a man who knows everything, and you come on here asking a question like this.

LMBFAO

Re: Long Horn Hunting - 04/24/08 11:13 AM

Quote:

53 Here

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum