Texas Hunting Forum

Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting

Posted By: Sparky45

Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/05/12 11:47 AM

I guess I should have said "UTV" because that is what they are calling the class of ATV that I want.

I want a bench front seat and a bed in the back.

Everyone thinks "Mule" when you describe this, but I am looking at some other options.
I want to go to our local Bobcat Dealer and John Deere house and see what they have to offer.
Polaris seems to be the most expensive

I would like a 4X4 and gas engine

what do you guys have and like?

Posted By: Seadog

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/05/12 11:53 AM

I had a Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4 that I had no problems with!!!

Posted By: Wiredhernandez

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/05/12 12:01 PM

You might not need 4WD if you get one with a locking rear diff. Other options.. There are lots of other options but the main ones Polaris, Kubota, John Deere, or electrics (Nice to have very quiet).. If you are just going to work the mule is awesome and very reliable.

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/05/12 12:03 PM

I never knew the Cub Cadet made those grin

I just checked though and there are no dealers within 100 miles of here.

I'll look into it more tomorrow, but I'd like to drive on of those

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/05/12 12:14 PM

IMO, you'll get a better deal at a tractor dealer who sells utility vehicles as a side business. Not having other lines of business with greater profit margins, ATV dealers are going to demand closer to sticker price.

Posted By: Paluxy300blk

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/05/12 12:55 PM

If you are looking at something for utility and not off-roading, I think the Kawasaki Mule is the cats-meow. It's a real workhorse. Several of them in my family. I have a Mule Trans 4010 (the four seater.) Hard to imagine life without it.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/05/12 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
IMO, you'll get a better deal at a tractor dealer who sells utility vehicles as a side business. Not having other lines of business with greater profit margins, ATV dealers are going to demand closer to sticker price.

This may be a good point. I need to remember this.

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/05/12 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru

That was just something that I found to be true when I purchased my only "new" ATV. I have another that I purchased used from an individual. I ended up getting my Kawasaki from a tractor dealer in the Highlands area east of Houston.

Posted By: Seadog

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/05/12 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru

That was just something that I found to be true when I purchased my only "new" ATV. I have another that I purchased used from an individual. I ended up getting my Kawasaki from a tractor dealer in the Highlands area east of Houston.

I got my Cub Cadet through Tyler County Tractor in Woodville!!!

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/05/12 02:46 PM

Buying a UTV from a tractor dealer you will sometimes pay more for the name and color than you want. Car dealerships are making some of the best deals on UTV around. A friend just bought 2 Ranger crews and the cheapest he found in the state was Tommy Vaughn in Columbus. They beat Hofpaur on price. Here is my take on UTVs based off of 100+ per month for 8 years. The Ranger is probably over all the most powerful in its class, smoothest riding and most comfortable out there. Higher payload. Higher maintenance than others. Mules are well built and low maintenance. Slower and rougher than others. Easier to do maintenance on yourself and they have a metal bed. Kubotas are made well and heavy duty. They are slow but stout. I looked at Gators and Rhinos but for the money they are asking they are just not built as well as the 3 listed above. I do not think they would hold up to daily pounding and use. If you do not need 4x4 then I would look at a Ranger 2WD. I ran one for 2+ yrs and loved it. Fast, smooth riding and powerful. Only got stuck 2 times in that period. If you go to several dealers and look at all of them top to bottom you will start to see the small and sometimes major differences.

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/05/12 03:34 PM

Does anyone have a Bobcat?

Posted By: passthru

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/05/12 03:36 PM

There is a ranger in my future, but that's 3 years out.

Posted By: RC270

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/05/12 04:01 PM

Hard to beat a honda. They run for ever and have more potential than most people give.

Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/06/12 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Sparky45
Does anyone have a Bobcat?

A guy on our lease had a Bobcat 4x4 diesel. It was a workhorse but you could almost walk faster than that thing. I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it.

Posted By: KG68

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/06/12 02:49 AM

You don't say where you are but Michael Geeslin at http://www.hpolaris.com/ will make you a good deal on a Polaris.

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/06/12 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: KG68
You don't say where you are but Michael Geeslin at http://www.hpolaris.com/ will make you a good deal on a Polaris.

I'm only about 80 miles north of there.

is it just like car dealers.. if you buy somewhere else, does the local dealer still do the warranty work?

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/06/12 03:10 AM

Many brands only carry about six months warranty. After that you are better off to find a independent mechanic to do your service and repairs at a discounted hourly rate and use aftermarket parts. grin

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/06/12 03:24 AM

I looked up the Goldwaithe dealr and they didn't have any UTVs on their website.

I'm sure them have them, but just not online.

ETA- I was using the drop down menu and they left off the link to the Utility vehicles

I'll call in the morning

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/06/12 03:30 AM

http://www.hpolaris.com/new_vehicle_list...tility+Vehicles

Posted By: aoudadhunter

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/06/12 07:36 PM

Check eBay and used utv's at big dealerships sometimes you can find some great deals we bought 3 used Polaris rangers last year for 5-8k each and they've been great

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/06/12 07:48 PM

I sell Cub Cadet UTVs. They come in basic models or can get up to the EFI and all the accesories. They use large Kohler engines so self maintenance is much easier than a ranger would be and also come in 2wd or 4wd. We have had one for years now and havnt had a problem yet

Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/06/12 07:59 PM

I bought the chinese version of the Rhino (some call it Chino),haha. Cabelas now sells them under the Coleman name. Mine is a 700 EFI with 2 seats and a dump bed. They are not built near as well as a Polaris, but ride smoother. If you are not going to bang them up bad, they are good for the money. I paid less than $7k cash for mine with a winch, top, windshield, doors, turn signals, mirrors and alum. wheels. I don't think any of that stuff is standard on many UTV's. I have had mine for over a year with no problems.

Posted By: Pooba

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/06/12 10:05 PM

Own a 91 Wrangle YJ. Have thought for a long time to get a ATV type ranch beater. But, when I start to look and see the prices, it makes me realize just how many spare parts I can buy for the jeep and forget it again. LOL

Posted By: Stormy Weather

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/09/12 04:41 AM

I didn't start this thread, but I'm sure interested in it. Lots of good info here -- thanks guys!

Posted By: JCLC43837

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/09/12 04:45 AM

we have had a few of the different utv but im back to the mule it will last for ever not fast but very reliable

Posted By: Rglover

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/09/12 11:10 AM

We use a EZ go lifted golf cart. We bought it for 2200.00 & the darn thing goes just about anywhere & has never got stuck.

Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/09/12 02:34 PM

Whether you pick an ATV or UTV, they both have their uses.

Posted By: stxcowboy

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/09/12 03:11 PM

Just to throw this out. What about the mini trks thats made in china or somewhere in that area. You can buy them for $4-5000. And heard they get bout 50mpg thats better than a utv.

Posted By: stxcowboy

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/09/12 03:16 PM

Just looked them up guess there jap made search mini trks you can see what i'm talking about.

Posted By: BGlegal1

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/09/12 03:33 PM

I've got a 13 year old Mule 4X4. All it's ever done is start and take me where I need to get to. Not fast, but I'm rarely in a hurry. smile I used to be on a lease where a lot of guys had the Mini Trucks. They all liked 'em and I never heard about any serious service/parts issues.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Affordable ATV for ranch/hunting - 08/09/12 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: stxcowboy
Just to throw this out. What about the mini trks thats made in china or somewhere in that area. You can buy them for $4-5000. And heard they get bout 50mpg thats better than a utv.

I have had 5 of them on a ranch I was on. They do not handle dusty roads very well with daily use. Smooth riding, windshield, and a/c/heat on some of them. We had automatic with 4x4 on them.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum