Texas Hunting Forum

TPWD Draw Hunts

Posted By: MathMan

TPWD Draw Hunts - 05/30/12 11:43 PM

I never knew about these hunts. I have a few questions. I have searched a little but I haven't found what I want to know.

What are the steps to apply?
Do you just fill out the cards and send them in with the little payment and hope you get drawn?

Is there any other things you need go get or apply for before applying for the hunt?

I'm guessing it's kindof like a raffle, right?

If you get drawn then you pay $130 ish for the permit and then you are set?

Then on the dates available you go there and hunt?

Where do you stay? Sleep? Eat?

Do they provide it or do I bring everything to sleep eat clean animals ect...?

I probably have more questions.

I hope this isn't a stupid question that has been asked tons of times or stikied.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 05/31/12 12:04 AM

To apply you can either do it online or have them send you a booklet thru the mail.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/btth/
You fill out your choice of where you want to hunt and send in a small application fee. You have the same odds as anyone else putting in for the same WMA hunt. These hunts are on your own-self guided and your own food and lodging. Some areas allow camping and some are close enough to town for food and lodging. The extra fees only apply to extended days of hunting 3 days for $80 and 4-5 days for $130. These hunts would be like any lease you were on as to what you need to do. The Big Time Texas Hunts are a little bit different in that you pay a little more per chance to hunt but they come with guiding and lodging.

Posted By: godfather

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 05/31/12 12:05 AM

most of the hunting areas have a very small fee to enter (at least the ones I enter do). IF you are drawn then you have to buy a license to hunt on state land (like 50 bucks). If you are not drawn you get preference points for that area next time you put in for it. Basically they put your name in the hat again for every PP you have. I got drawn on the first time I put in but have been shut out for 4 years in a row. I'm sure someone will come along and give you all the details, I don’t know all the ins and outs, we have one guy that puts a group of us in every year. Good luck and dont forget you can go standby.

Posted By: NDN98

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 05/31/12 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
To apply you can either do it online or have them send you a booklet thru the mail.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/btth/
You fill out your choice of where you want to hunt and send in a small application fee. You have the same odds as anyone else putting in for the same WMA hunt. These hunts are on your own-self guided and your own food and lodging. Some areas allow camping and some are close enough to town for food and lodging. The extra fees only apply to extended days of hunting 3 days for $80 and 4-5 days for $130. These hunts would be like any lease you were on as to what you need to do. The Big Time Texas Hunts are a little bit different in that you pay a little more per chance to hunt but they come with guiding and lodging.

^^^^^
This.
It is like Christmas in July at my house when the new TPWD drawn hunts application booklet comes out.

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 05/31/12 12:24 AM

Im still researching on this. I think i have it figured out so far. I still have questions on the extended days? So if you win the hunt, then if you want to have more days you pay more?

I know they change every year so this year may be different.

Thanks for the replys do quickly!!!

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 05/31/12 12:58 AM

No the extended days are set by the WMA you draw for. You have no say in it other than to try for a hunt there.

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 05/31/12 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: godfather
most of the hunting areas have a very small fee to enter (at least the ones I enter do). IF you are drawn then you have to buy a license to hunt on state land (like 50 bucks). If you are not drawn you get preference points for that area next time you put in for it. Basically they put your name in the hat again for every PP you have. I got drawn on the first time I put in but have been shut out for 4 years in a row. I'm sure someone will come along and give you all the details, I don’t know all the ins and outs, we have one guy that puts a group of us in every year. Good luck and dont forget you can go standby.

One doesn't buy a license for the draw hunts(hunting license is required on all hunts), the permit you are referring to is for the Annual Public Hunting Permit (APH) $48 which has nothing to do with the drawing hunts. The APH is for the 'walk-in' hunts only where you can come and go as you please on the Units within the APH Map Booklet when a species is listed within the Legal Game Box for that Unit and during the listed dates for that Unit.

If you are selected for a hunt, you will recieve a Letter of Selection in them mail stating what the permit fee required($80 or $130) for each individual on the application 17 or over that wishes to enter the hunt area.

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/01/12 02:09 AM

Thanks everyone for the info. I understand it now. I cant wait to try it! Looks like fun! I've been reading other posts about it too. Would be nice to get picked!

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/08/12 04:50 AM

Just checked the TPWD website and saw that the online application booklet is already posted. I don't remember ever seeing a hard copy or on-line version before July. Has anyone got the hard copy in the mail yet? Still waiting on mine.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_112_06_12.pdf

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/08/12 02:09 PM

The hard copy of the booklet will not be in TPWD hands until the last week in June, then they are mailed bulk by zip code beginning the first week in July to all those who had applied the previous year.

Posted By: A.B.

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/08/12 02:15 PM

Hey kyotee, I will slip you a 20 if you help a brother out on the longfellow hunt. grin

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/08/12 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiebrahma
Hey kyotee, I will slip you a 20 if you help a brother out on the longfellow hunt. grin

up grin

Posted By: muddog1grs

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/09/12 12:34 AM

I received mine last year the 2nd week of June, had my selections & my check in the mail by July 1. Still didnt get drawn...

Posted By: ptso308me

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/10/12 06:16 PM

This is a good program...I have been able to draw at least one hunt every other year. I have been submitting for these hunts the last 10 years. Got drawn to hunt this past season at devil's river state park for exotics...awsome place.

Posted By: lcneo2112

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/12/12 06:10 PM

I hunted Devils River SNA last year, lots of animals. Forget Axis no chance. Take a 4 wheel drive truck and go the the very very back place on the road out..

Posted By: deadlast2004

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/17/12 08:18 PM

gonna have to check this out online. never seen it thisearly. i did get drawn for a colorado bull tag for the second rifle season so need something here also soince the landowner I have used for 7 years wants to not lease it starting this year so his kids and their spouses can use it instead.

Posted By: pigplinker

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/17/12 11:04 PM

I've been putting in on these hunts for over 20yrs. They are a great chance for hunts on a budget. Don't forget about the youth hunts available. These are a great way to get kids started and there is no fee if they are drawn.

Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/18/12 01:50 AM

I have taken my son on a few of the youth hunts and it's always been great. He does not kill deer every hunt but it's always fun and the guys running the hunts have always gone above and beyond my expectations to make it fun for the kids. As far as the adult hunts, I have drawn quite a few of them over the years and never really been on a bad one. I draw an archery hunt almost every year and always have a good hunt and have a very good success rate on the archery hunts so far. The only down side to them is they are mostly during the week but if you can take off work they are worth it usually. It's a great program and I hope they continue it for many years. As for the Whitetail either sex rifle category... I have about 14 preference points and have never drawn that hunt.

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/18/12 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
I have taken my son on a few of the youth hunts and it's always been great. He does not kill deer every hunt but it's always fun and the guys running the hunts have always gone above and beyond my expectations to make it fun for the kids. As far as the adult hunts, I have drawn quite a few of them over the years and never really been on a bad one. I draw an archery hunt almost every year and always have a good hunt and have a very good success rate on the archery hunts so far. The only down side to them is they are mostly during the week but if you can take off work they are worth it usually. It's a great program and I hope they continue it for many years. As for the Whitetail either sex rifle category... I have about 14 preference points and have never drawn that hunt.

That is a lot of preference points. I talked to one guy that had 21 points before he was drawn in that category. Maybe this is your year to draw the Gun Deer Either Sex Category. Do you put in for the same place every year?

Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/18/12 02:50 AM

No, I don't enter the same place every year but I pick the places that have monster deer so there are tons of applicants for them. I figure when and if I ever draw a hunt there it will be a great hunt. Otherwise I just do my archery hunts and wait to be drawn.

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/18/12 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
No, I don't enter the same place every year but I pick the places that have monster deer so there are tons of applicants for them. I figure when and if I ever draw a hunt there it will be a great hunt. Otherwise I just do my archery hunts and wait to be drawn.

I do the same thing. There are only about 3 places that I enter for the GDE. They are all places that have the potential to have monster bucks. I usually put my name in the hat for whichever of those 3 locations has dates available that coordinate with my work schedule. I too have not been drawn yet for that category.

Posted By: okjhutch

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/23/12 06:23 AM

I'll agree, these hunts are great opportunities to take some sort of animal if you get drawn. I have been putting for 18 years. Some years I'll draw a couple and some only one and of course some years none at all but thats hunting. They dont cost much at all and you could do a couple in a season and not go broke like some of those high dollar leases. My oldest son has taken something every hunt he hass been on. My youngest still has not drawn. Hunting both Texas leases and draws and hunting Oklahoma lease and draw did not have time to cover them all so i gave up the texas deer lease for now. Good luck to every one this year.

Posted By: NEVAGA

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/23/12 07:07 AM

popcorn

Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/23/12 03:41 PM

so i can enter at every place allowing to hunt say GDE just cant have my mane in twice for each location right???

Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/23/12 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: samsamthemex
so i can enter at every place allowing to hunt say GDE just cant have my mane in twice for each location right???

You can enter for one draw only per hunt category. For example there are probably 20 or so different hunt locations for GDE gun deer either sex, but you can only apply for one of those locations. You can apply one time only for every different category if you choose too.
Good Luck with your choices. Baker

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/23/12 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: samsamthemex

No. Only one entry per category per year.

Posted By: xgenex

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/24/12 07:18 AM

I never get drawn but I keep trying

Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/24/12 01:27 PM

you wont win if you dont enter!!!

Posted By: JTaylor

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/25/12 08:20 PM

I have been drawn several time, and been able to take my kids on some of the youth hunts.

Even if you don't get drawn you can go and usually get a standby position on the kids hunts. They really do try to find a spot for everyone who shows up.

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/25/12 09:33 PM

What do you guys consider the GDE to get on to be. This is my first year to enter the draw hunts. I want a shot at an Axis, so I was looking at the following:

ADE - Brownwood (just because I can stay at my lease and hunt it
GDE - Enchanted Rock
GDA - South Llano
EXO - Garner

Any suggestions?

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/26/12 03:13 AM

Lol no suggestions? Guess no one wants me to decrease their odds.

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/26/12 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiebrahma

Yea, right...I do enjoy my job a lot more.

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/26/12 07:52 PM

Oh, by the way, the Draw Books are being mailed out with some already receiving their booklets - by zip code!

Good Luck!
TIPS: Please look over your applications carefully before you mail them in so any key fields are not left blank (Hunt Code, Hunt Area, age, mailing address, SSN, hunt dates) as well for the other group members their age and SSN.

Permanent personal checks or Money Orders only, no temporary checks (new accounts that do not have your personal information on them; those will be returned and could mean not making the applicatiion deadline date if sending in close to that deadline.

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/26/12 07:56 PM

up Thanks for passing that info on kyotee1.

Posted By: thedoveshooter

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 06/26/12 08:15 PM

I've applied for the mule deer hunt since it started and still haven't drawn. Maybe this year my friend and I will since we both now have 5 preference points. One day.....

Posted By: Kentucky Native

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/06/12 08:56 PM

Are these hunts for Texas residents only? I've been in TX now 10 years and each spring and fall Kentucky Dad makes a trip to Texas...didn't know if applying for any of these hunts was an option for him.

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/06/12 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Kentucky Native
Are these hunts for Texas residents only? I've been in TX now 10 years and each spring and fall Kentucky Dad makes a trip to Texas...didn't know if applying for any of these hunts was an option for him.

They are open to both residents and non-residents.

Posted By: Kentucky Native

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/06/12 09:26 PM

Thanks for the quick info. Appreciated.

Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/06/12 10:24 PM

It is my understanding there is no online system to enter, you either get book in mail or print PDF from online, but you still have to print and mail in entries.

Posted By: red bluff

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/08/12 06:10 PM

TPWD has done a great job with these hunts I have been on several.

Posted By: furfinrfeather

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/09/12 12:26 AM

Keep trying. I had 20 points before I got picked for the Chaparral but I finally did. Now I hope it doesn't take 20 before I get to go back.

Posted By: El_Numero_Uno

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/09/12 01:23 PM

Hope it doesn't take me 20 PP's to get drawn for Chaparral; I am at about 14 or 15 now!

Posted By: RogueSamurai

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/09/12 02:01 PM

I kind of like that it's the old school way of mailing in the application/entry with the check. Kind of a pain but kind of a throw back too.

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/09/12 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: xgenex
I never get drawn but I keep trying

Bet the odds and increase your chance of getting picked by always putting the same 4 people on a card for that category.

Friends, spouse, children, cousins, GK, or even a good friends children, etc. Look at the youth hunts-they have some great odds of being picked and a wonderful thing to do. As much fun mentoring youth as it is pulling the trigger.

I have a good friend from old scout troop (Ron) who has 2 boys same age as my 2. I always registered Myself, Ron, and then one our boys in each category each year, making sure same boys were registered in same cat each year.. After a couple of years our preference points accumulation along with the youth hunts we could almost count on 2 to 3 hunts a year with the boys. Lot of variety and different beautiful areas of the state we accessed using draws as a backup plan for our regular lease. Got to be more fun than our regular lease since it always meant a road trip to a new WLMA or State Park area each year. Had some great campouts, campfires, adventures on road trip, and campfire meals. Get the youth enrolled in hunter ed, also BSA Merit Badges if app, and start signing up the same youth each year and you will be surprised. cheers up Good luck

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/09/12 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
It is my understanding there is no online system to enter, you either get book in mail or print PDF from online, but you still have to print and mail in entries.

Online submission will be available come 2014 - you will be able to pay your application fees, check your status, pay for your hunt and hopefully there will be a second drawing for those who either do not pay for their selected hunt by the hunt permit deadline date or do not respond so that others that applied have an opportunity to get drawn. There will be the hard copy for those who don't have a computer or internet access.

Posted By: bjones2571

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/09/12 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: kyotee1

Online submission will be available come 2014 - you will be able to pay your application fees, check your status, pay for your hunt and hopefully there will be a second drawing for those who either do not pay for their selected hunt by the hunt permit deadline date or do not respond so that others that applied have an opportunity to get drawn. There will be the hard copy for those who don't have a computer or internet access.

How do I request a booklet? I entered last year, but have since moved and haven't received my booklet for this year.

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/09/12 10:08 PM

up

Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/09/12 10:24 PM

Thanks for the info Kyotee1. Sounds like a step in right direction. Do non residents still get in the drawings for hunt on state lands? I've applied for hunts out west for 25+ years but it's always been for National Forrest or BLM land. Baker

Posted By: furfinrfeather

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/10/12 12:26 AM

El_Numero_Uno, look at it like this, you have enought points that you should get picked anyplace you want to go except the Chap..lol. I can tell ya, it's hard to keep putting in and not getting picked year after year. Maybe this will be my year again. Good luck to you!

Posted By: El_Numero_Uno

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/10/12 02:56 AM

furfinfeather,
It's the only place I want to go! so I just keep filling out the forms! Have been on there 4-5 times for other hunts; javelina, management, with my Grandson. Good Luck to you too. maybe this is the year.

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/10/12 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: elkhunter49

Thanks for the info Kyotee1. Sounds like a step in right direction. Do non residents still get in the drawings for hunt on state lands? I've applied for hunts out west for 25+ years but it's always been for National Forrest or BLM land. Baker

Yes

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/10/12 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: bjones2571

How do I request a booklet? I entered last year, but have since moved and haven't received my booklet for this year.

With you being in Houston, you can obtain one at either of the Game Warden offices in Houston:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/warden/office_locations/

Another TIP to remember:
When you move and your mailing address changes unless you receive your mail at the Post Office and keep that mailing address, one needs to contact TPWD by early May so that we can update your mailing address in the data base. This goes a long way and benefits both sides in doing so.

The booklets are mailed out in bulk each year by zip code and bulk mail is not forwarded. It costs the program 3x as much in postage and handling to mail the booklets out individually as opposed to bulk mail. If you move, please contact us before May. We even have had applicants move during the application process and if they are selected, the Notice of Selection is sent back to us also and if not selected, the Non-Selection cards are as well – we receive so many that do not have a forwarding address or address unknown.

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/20/12 06:22 AM

A heads up. If you fill out the interactive drawn hunt forms online and print them, pay close attention to the number of names allowed per hunt. Some hunts only allow two names per card, but the online system will put more than two name spaces on the card. If that is clear as mud. An example.

Gun Mule Deer for Sierra Diablo in the book states no more than two names per card. But if you use the interactive form on the TPWD website and print that card it will give you additional lines to add three additional hunters and there is no indication on the card that says you can't fill all those in for that hunt choice. If you have more than two names on the card because of the confusion, it very likely will get your entry disqualified. I have already noticed two hunt choices in the book that will do this.

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/20/12 11:57 AM

Good point John. Would prob mean thier card was void.

Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/20/12 03:56 PM

In case folks didn't already know this, there is an automated system you can call to see if your applications have been received and entered, whether or nor you were drawn for a hunt, and to see how many preference points you have. 512-389-8221

Posted By: Jcarr

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/24/12 09:40 PM

Does anyone know if you can hunt deer on Lake Ray Roberts or Lake Grapevine

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/25/12 05:10 PM

Not on Ray Roberts WMA - no deer hunting allowed.

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/25/12 05:33 PM

The interactive search has the same instructions as the hard copy booklet and the PDF file for the Sierra Diablo Mule Deer Hunt application. The online filling in the application will ONLY allow the primary applicants information to be entered, if you wish to add addition group members, one must physically write those in once it is printed off.

There is no indication on the hard copy of the applications from the booklet either, the applicant needs to read the instructions on the hunt they apply to see how many individuals may be on an application, instead of relying on the Other Group Members line spaces. Both systems are the same.

Restrictions
No standby positions will be available. No more than TWO NAMES per card.

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/25/12 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
A heads up. If you fill out the interactive drawn hunt forms online and print them, pay close attention to the number of names allowed per hunt. Some hunts only allow two names per card, but the online system will put more than two name spaces on the card. If that is clear as mud. An example.

Gun Mule Deer for Sierra Diablo in the book states no more than two names per card. But if you use the interactive form on the TPWD website and print that card it will give you additional lines to add three additional hunters and there is no indication on the card that says you can't fill all those in for that hunt choice. If you have more than two names on the card because of the confusion, it very likely will get your entry disqualified. I have already noticed two hunt choices in the book that will do this.

Are you saying there is an error?

Posted By: 12shotgun

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/25/12 10:31 PM

Great info; I've been to the website but did not fully understand the process until I read this thread. I'm mailing mine in asap!
Thanks!

Re: TPWD Draw Hunts - 07/26/12 12:36 AM

Are you saying there is an error?

No error, just a heads up because it could be very easy to miss. If one does not have a hard copy book and does not print out the online description, then only fills out the form online with the hunt choice filled in and prints it, then carry it off in hand to add their buddies. It would be very easy for someone to either not notice or forget and fill in more names that is allowed by mistake. .

I do know of at least one error though.

Guided Scimitar Horned Oryx Hunt Package.

Book states: No more than two names per card and permits available 2. Hard copy application in back of book only has a space for one additional applicant.

Online form for the same hunt states in bold letters at the top has Notice: Applicantions limited to ADULTS 17 years of age and older. Limit of 3 applicant per card. And yes it is spelled that way online. But then it does go on to say permits available 2. Then in the restrictions it says no more than two names per card. When the online form is filled out and printed for this hunt it gives spaces for two additional hunters.

I assume this hunt was meant to have only two applicants per card. But considering people will see that bold print saying "Limit of 3 applicant per card" and the card prints out allowing three applicants; y'all are going to get a bunch of cards with 3 applicants on them IMHO.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum