Texas Hunting Forum

Wild Game/Animals you have eaten

Posted By: redfishray

Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 09:49 PM

I'll go first:
Squirel, Deer, Pig ,Alligator, Rattlesnake,Duck,Rabbit, Elk.. I know I will think of more

Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 09:51 PM

AlQuedians.......slow roasted

Posted By: TxAg

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 10:01 PM

Dove, Ducks, Wild turkey, rabbit, squirrel, Emu, Alligator, wild pig, WT deer, Mule deer, Elk, Nilgai, Fallow deer, Axis deer, Scimitar Oryx.

It's all good in it's own way.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 10:04 PM

Squirrel, Rabbit, opossum, racoon, beaver, bear, rattlesnake, turkey, quail, pheasant, chucker, grouse, dove, whitetail deer, mule deer, elk, moose, bison, caribou, pronghorn, hog, numerous kinds of duck, geese, sandhill crane, axis deer, fallow deer, red deer, blackbuck, zebra, oryx, bull frog, alligator, bobcat and Kangaroo.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 10:16 PM

strangest thing i've eaten in any capacity....i mean actually eaten, not just "tried" was robins.

I've eaten probably a few hundred of them

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 10:19 PM

Guinea Pig a number of times, capybara, a bunch of things in South Africa too long to list.

All North American game meats.

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
strangest thing i've eaten in any capacity....i mean actually eaten, not just "tried" was robins.

Acutually left them off the list but you are correct robins are good

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

The American Robin is protected in United States by the U.S. Migratory Bird Protection Act...It is a felony to kill a robin.

Just sayin...

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted By: kmon1

The American Robin is protected in United States by the U.S. Migratory Bird Protection Act...It is a felony to kill a robin.

Just sayin...

When we were kids we'd hide under the chinaberry trees and wait for the robins to eat the fermented berries. They'd get high as a kite, then we'd pick 'em off with pellet guns, one by one. The taste just like dove. Fried up in butter with Lemon Pepper seasoning. MMMM MMMM Good.

Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 10:54 PM

Axis, fallow, WT, red deer, elk, rabbit, oryx, duck, goose, pheasant, chukar, quail, dove, sparrow, blackbuck

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 11:05 PM

Robins FTW!

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 11:07 PM

lol....put that backwards

Posted By: nsmike

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 11:14 PM

Things I've eaten not already listed, Roe deer, Chamois, Snipe and Rail. Oh I almost forgot Woodcock and Ruffed Grouse.

Posted By: aeb

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/22/12 11:36 PM

I've eaten my share of CROW.

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 12:24 AM

Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Black Bear, Elk, Pronghorn, Rabbit, Squirrel, Rattle Snake, Zebra, Impala, Eland, Kudu, Springbok, Blesbok, Duiker, Steenbok, Gemsbok, Red Hartabeest, Cape Buffalo, Blue Wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Warthog, Hog, Black Buck, SH Oryx, Red Deer, Fallow Deer, Axis Deer, Sika Deer, Ram, Audad, David Pere Deer...

I am sure there are more but this is what I can remember...

Posted By: Chris & Zale

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 12:57 AM

What did you not like and why??

I've eaten a lot wild game and like most - alot

but I don't like racoon - too greasy...

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 01:05 AM

Sika deer too

Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 01:13 AM

I ate a marmot back packing in New Mexico a few years ago. It made the usual freeze dried crap we called dinner seem amazing.

Posted By: WCI

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 01:57 AM

I have eaten most game animals and I find them great tablefare. I was cautioned against some rams but I found them to be very good. Bear was a very pleasant suprise but I understand they are somewhat different after they get to eating fish in late season. Antelope was pretty good but you have to like sage. I really enjoyed a Black Buck I was fortunate enough to harvest recently. Snake was good too.
Most all game is good if prepared properly. It really suprises me when I hear folks saying how to remove the gamey taste. Heck that is the part that seperates it from chicken IMHO.
Moose and elk are very good but I have eaten some elk that was not properly cared for and the difference was dramatic.
I take great care of my harvested treasures. Cleaning, cooling, transportating, vacuum packing etc. is very important. Enjoy your harvest it is a gift and treat it accordingly.

Posted By: JakeinTX

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 02:26 AM

Blackbuck, WT, Rabbit, Racoon, Axis, Kudu, Feral Hog, Warthog, Impala, Giraffe, Dove, Pheasant, Lion, Elk, duck, Goose.

Posted By: JakeinTX

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: aeb
I've eaten my share of CROW.

x2! smile

Posted By: HogBranch

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 02:28 AM

Most of the normal game animals, most exotic was iguana, taste like chicken.

Posted By: West Fork Armory

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 02:31 AM

WT deer, Mule deer, Elk, Axis, Blackbuck, Alligator, Bullfrog, Snapping Turtle, Sea Turtle, Pheasant, Quail, turkey, Hog, Squirrel, rattlesnake, crickets, dove, duck, bison, kangaroo, Emu, and Ostrich

Posted By: GristleHead

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 03:35 AM

Rabbbit, duck, goose, crane, pronghorn antelope, deer(white tail and Mulie), elk, quail, pheasant, dove, wild turkey (feathered and bottled),wild boar, feral hog, rattlesnake, alligator, snapping turtle, sea turtle, impala, kudu, wart hog, eland, nilgai, gemsbok, black wildebeest, blue wildebeest, cape buffalo, zebra,and too many species of fish and shell fish to name. Now I'm hungry!

Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 03:49 AM

Deer, turtle, rabbitt, quail, squirrel, chukar, dove, duck, goose, buffalo, wild hog, ground hog, opossum, chipmunk, muskrat, beaver, raccoon, pigeon, pheasant, moose, bear, goat, sheep, frog, snake, turkey, watusi, mussels, salmon, halibut, lingcod, yelloweye, sea bass

Posted By: snoopy

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 09:22 AM

All these critters and no grasshoppers?

Posted By: LAstrutter

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 01:45 PM

And here I thought this Louisiana boy had eaten everything. I'm impressed. BTW, blackbirds/grackles taste just as good as robins, and you won't get in trouble for shooting them.

Posted By: TSU99

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 06:58 PM

WT Deer, Muley,Elk, Rabbit, Coon, Possam,Hog, Javilena, duck, geese, Blue Grouse, Axis, Fallow, Blackbuck, red deer, Audad(on a dare), Coyote(on a very expensive dare), rattler, Bobcat, quail, all three species of Texas dove, Pronghorn, Alligator, Buffalo, fox(another dare).

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 09:01 PM

Wt, coues, mulie, elk, oryx, hog, rabbit, gator, rattlesnake, watusi, buffalo, beefalo, axis, pronghorn, grouse, pheasant, chucker, blue, Means, Bob white, mallard, canvasback, gassy, blue/ green teal, redhead, woodduck, blue bill, mottled, pintail, geese, turkey, peacock, and Emu

Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 11:42 PM

Anyone eaten baboon?

Posted By: Huntsmanda

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: LAstrutter
And here I thought this Louisiana boy had eaten everything. I'm impressed. BTW, blackbirds/grackles taste just as good as robins, and you won't get in trouble for shooting them.

Robins? Really? I thought that "Robin Stew" was just folklore... How are they compared to quail? I'd bet pretty different...

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/23/12 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntsmanda

Robins? Really? I thought that "Robin Stew" was just folklore... How are they compared to quail? I'd bet pretty different...

Closer to dove

Posted By: pyledriver

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/24/12 12:58 AM

Hey TSU, I've had bobcat too! How'd you fix yours?

I've had wt deer, elk, axis, wild pork, dove, duck, quail, pigeon, rattlesnake, cottontail, some sort of ram (yuck), bison....I think that's it. Not much I guess!

Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/24/12 01:22 AM

Back in the day we used to go to the Wild Game Cookoff on the west side of Houston. Don't know if they still do it, but you could get a bottomless (all you can drink) koozie for $5.

I've eaten everything they had to offer over several years, but after all you can drink it's all kinda fuzzy...

I remember bear and being amazed at how good the armadillo fajitas were.

Posted By: LAstrutter

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/24/12 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Huntsmanda

Just like kmon said, they are very similar to dove. IMO no wild bird compares to quail. There just aren't any left over here in Louisiana. I do miss eating fried wild Bobwhite Quail.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/24/12 05:30 AM

I have eaten: bullfrogs, leopard frogs, ducks, geese, sandhill crane, whitewing dove, mourning dove, bobwhite quail, blue quail, field lark (as a kid), inca doves (as a kid), alligator, rattlesnake, javi, wild hog, cottontail, jackrabbit, raccoon, chukkar, pheasant, pigeon, armadillo, squirrel, aoudad, corsican, elk, red deer, scimitar horn, gemsbok, kudu, addax, nile lechwe, red lechwe, turkey, whitetail, mule deer, buffalo, watusi, axis, blackbuck, fallow, softshell turtle, greenback turtle, some food brought to a friends ranch by one of his buddies from LA so no telling what I ate and last but not least in a resturuant in Laredo once with a friend and all he said was "I'll order, don't say a word, don't ask what it is, just eat it". eeks333

Posted By: TSU99

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/24/12 12:47 PM

It was just the backstrap, and we barbequed it like we do deer steaks. Let' put it this way if I was stranded on a desert island with nothing but bobcats on the island, I'd eat sand.
Originally Posted By: pyledriver
Hey TSU, I've had bobcat too! How'd you fix yours?

I've had wt deer, elk, axis, wild pork, dove, duck, quail, pigeon, rattlesnake, cottontail, some sort of ram (yuck), bison....I think that's it. Not much I guess!

Posted By: kdub

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/24/12 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
Back in the day we used to go to the Wild Game Cookoff on the west side of Houston. Don't know if they still do it, but you could get a bottomless (all you can drink) koozie for $5.

I've eaten everything they had to offer over several years, but after all you can drink it's all kinda fuzzy...

I remember bear and being amazed at how good the armadillo fajitas were.

That sounds like a heck of a time.

Posted By: pyledriver

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/26/12 02:34 AM

Lol, yeah, not very high on my list either.

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/28/12 02:35 AM

Deer,Turtle,rabbit,squirrel,elk,dove,groundhog,duck, goose,buffalo,wild hog,frog,turkey

Posted By: nice shot

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/28/12 11:11 PM

Axis, Blackbuck, dove, alligator, kangaroo, buffalo, white tail, quail, snails, trout, salmon, snapper, red/black drum, shark, ahi, mahi mahi, sword fish, clams, crab, marlin, lobster, aoudad (gross), pheasant, rattlesnake, oysters.

ill have to edit if I think of anything more.

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/28/12 11:20 PM

Forgot about one at a wild game dinner in Waco several years ago Yak. I had to agree with the ladies at the table when they said "Yak is Yuck"

Posted By: Mopar 512

Re: Wild Game/Animals you have eaten - 05/29/12 09:51 PM

Deer,pig,quail,dove,collard dove, pigeon, rattlesnake, buffalo, trout, shark, pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, elk, turkey, duck, frog, chucker quail.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum