Texas Hunting Forum

Questions???????????

Posted By: DSST_Construction

Questions??????????? - 03/28/12 05:15 AM

ok i was talking with a guy the other day about hunting while we bid a job and he said a few things that were kinda wierd or maybe its just me ok.

1) will a axis whitetail, and muledeer interbreed?

2) is there wild elk in Texas? He said he had lots near rocksprings.

3) is there alot of bear around rocksprings?

let me know what yall think

Posted By: Savage388

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/28/12 05:27 AM

Axis x Whitetail= No.

Axis x Muledeer = No.

Muledeer x Whitetail= Yes.

There are wild elk in Texas. They came out of New Mexico a few years ago.

Bears are showing up in several places out West and in some cases in extreme North East Texas.

Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/28/12 05:30 AM

ok, well the guy claimed that a deer he shot was half axis half whitetail. the rack looks funky but he also said his taxi told him it was 1/2 and 1/2

Posted By: dkershen

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/28/12 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Savage388
Axis x Whitetail= No.

Axis x Muledeer = No.

Bears are showing up in several places out West and in some cases in extreme North East Texas.

Savage388 is spot on. If he shot an Axis White tail cross he needs to post some pics. Would be a first.

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/28/12 11:46 AM

I don't think that an axis/whitetail cross could even be viable. I'm betting their DNA is too dissimilar and couldn't match up.

I've always heard about muley/whitetail crosses but really would need to see some genetic of proof. Just because a muley buck has whitetailish looking antlers or vice versa isn't proof. How many whitetails are killed all of the state that have "muledeer forks" on their g2's?

And yes, there are bears in being encountered in the Rocksprings area. A rancher killed one last year a short distance west of Kerrville. They're coming out of Mexico, probably driven by the drought and hunger.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/28/12 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Originally Posted By: Savage388
Axis x Whitetail= No.

Axis x Muledeer = No.

Savage388 is spot on. If he shot an Axis White tail cross he needs to post some pics. Would be a first.

I still don't buy the wt/Muley cross and I hit where we have not and have seen absolutely zero reaso to think they do, and I have about as much faith in a biologist or warden as a used car salesman most of them are clueless! Carry on...... popcorn

Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/28/12 12:28 PM

1/2 and 1/2....? Sounds like a result after some 20-20....?

Posted By: Scoop

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/28/12 01:12 PM

Maybe he shot a fallow and has a taxi who is clueless. Some fallows are spotted like axis and have funky looking antlers before they mature and palmate.

As far as elk, possibly red stag / european elk in that area.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/28/12 01:49 PM

WT/MD cross can happen, just like a WT/BT hybrid.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/28/12 02:00 PM

WT/MD do cross and it has been documented, although it is rare. It just does not happen all the time it takes several factors to not happen for it to happen. I have personally seen a cross that was killed in the mid 80's between Sanderson and Ft. Stockton. It had the metatarsel gland that a cross would have along with features of both species just not as pronounced as they would be under normal conditions. Here is a good read on Coues x Mule Deer crosses along with WT x MD crosses.
http://coueswhitetail.com/coues_biology/hybrids.htm
Elk now exist in the wild after being introduced into West Texas a few years back. There are breeding herds here in the State. Some ranches have as many as 800 hd also in West Texas all LF.
I have seen a deer killed in Kendall County in the early 90's that had the features of both a WT and Axis. It was strange looking to say the least. It came for a pasture that was HF and had both species. Was it? Probably not but it sure got some strange looks at the cleaning shed that morning. Enough that the guy who killed it was scared he had killed an axis that was off limits at the time.

Posted By: OneShotDrop

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/28/12 02:09 PM

Axis are too close to red deer/elk genetically rather than WT or MD. The axis can interbreed with red deer but not WT. There are free range herds of Elk out by Rocksprings but are most likely the result of escapees from HF ranches that had been able to breed and establish small herds. As far as the bears they are migrating up from Mexico into parts of the hill country. Dont think there is a real large number of them, usually single young boars looking for his own range.

Posted By: gdbuckslayer

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 03:05 AM

Sika deer have spots part of the year and would be a good guess if taxi wasn't familiar with them changing coat colors. They also interbreed with axis and red deer and will try anything else in heat if they can whip the dominant buck.

Posted By: vanguard

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 01:19 PM

heres a suspected wt/muley, shot near fort stockton

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 01:45 PM

popcorn

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 01:46 PM

Other than whitetail-ish looking antlers that head appears to be all muley. What other WT characteristics did it have?

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 01:47 PM

Yes mulie and wt cross... Tarsel gland size determines it pretty quickly...antler traits mean nothing.

I have heard axis and wt will cross...but never seen or has evidence been posted.

Tx elk where re-introduced via the Rocky mountain strain in the 20-30's around the Guadalupe mountains and have since expanded.... The Texas elk of West tx and the elk of southern nm where Merriami, now extinct. NM and Texas got introduced with rocket mountain elk about the same time.

Now Texas has the orginal introduction herd, some hf escapees, and some wild that have venture into the panhandle from NM,CO, and Kansas.

And yes the bear population is growing quickly in Texas both in the far West of the hill county...West tx, east texas, the panhandle, and North east tx

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I have seen a deer killed in Kendall County in the early 90's that had the features of both a WT and Axis. It was strange looking to say the least. It came for a pasture that was HF and had both species. Was it? Probably not but it sure got some strange looks at the cleaning shed that morning. Enough that the guy who killed it was scared he had killed an axis that was off limits at the time.

describe this mythical creature.

I've heard stories but never actually talked to someone had seen one dead.

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

describe this mythical creature.

I've heard stories but never actually talked to someone had seen one dead.

It had few faint white and full white spots on parts of the back, shoulders and hindquarters. The body was longer and shorter legged like a axis with more WT colors, but not normal WT coloring for Kendall. Forehead was more in shape and some colors of an axis. Ears were shorter than a WT would normally have. Tail was WT in shape and color just shorter if I remember right. This was from back in 91 or 92.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:01 PM

popcorn

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:07 PM

did it have antlers?

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:12 PM

Nope it was a doe. I called it a WT since that is what it looked more like and have never heard of a WT/Axis cross. But the guy who shot it had a worried look on his face when I went to pick him up. I think it dressed in the upper 80's for weight also.

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:15 PM

Was it a fawn? Just askin....

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:17 PM

We had a buck on our place in the late 90's that never lost his spots on his hind quarters as he got older. We watched and videoed him until 4.5 and then he disappeared. 99% sure he wasn't a cross, no axis in the area confused2

We named him "Spot" grin

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

rofl

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:18 PM

Maybe it was shape-shifting weredeer.

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate

Now we're talkin

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate

Thats what I am talking about!!!!

It was adapting and trying to shift into its axis form since those were off limits. Nature is simply amazing

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:22 PM

dunce At upper 80's dressed weight like I posted a couple of threads up. I think not.

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:24 PM

Results from enfamil

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:25 PM

dunce At upper 80's dressed weight like I posted a couple of threads up. I think not.

You did say it was HF confused2 I thought everything was bigger in HF's

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Hill Country deer. It was an adult doe. I have slept to much in the last 20 yrs to remember the age but I know I aged her for my records on that ranch.

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:32 PM

nidea If that were so then you better build a HF yard fence around your house then. roflmao rofl lol35 rofl

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:39 PM

nidea If that were so then you better build a HF yard fence around your house then. roflmao rofl lol35 rofl

trout Don't you think I have tried that??? I have people showing up all the time thinking it is a driving range or a batting cage confused2

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:44 PM

Or the Texas State School for Mentally Challenged folks.

Re: Questions??????????? - 03/29/12 02:45 PM

Or the Texas State School for Mentally Ill folks.

Ahhh yes..my home away from home muyloco

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum