Texas Hunting Forum

Real County

Posted By: 1tonbambam

Real County - 02/27/12 05:22 PM

Looking at possibly buying property in Real County, how is the hunting and what wildlife is there?

Posted By: Ned Raw Sr

Re: Real County - 02/27/12 09:11 PM

There are many "free roaming" exotics such as axis and blackbuck. Lots of whitetail... but somewhat small in size, unless on managed property. Lots of feral hogs and varmints. Beautiful country, has the Nueces and Pulliam rivers. A lot of this county is now being broke up into small 10 - 20 acre parcels, so depends on whereabouts your land is, neighbors, etc. If you can find bottomland... lots of game, but on top of the mountains... not near as much.

Re: Real County - 02/28/12 12:29 AM

I was looking at listings from Suttle Real Estate,

http://www.suttleandcompany.com/

Do you know of any other agencies in that area??

Thanks

Posted By: Ned Raw Sr

Re: Real County - 02/28/12 03:34 AM

I believe Lockhart Real Estate handles big properties in that area and several that handle small acreage like D & M or McDonald and canyon real estate. That area is called Nueces Canyon with Leakey on the east side of county and Camp Wood / Barksdale / Montell on the west side. Frio river/Garner is just outside of Leakey (and lots of subdivisions). I think more game around Camp Wood/Barksdale (especially exotics). There are axis deer roaming the city streets. Good luck.

Posted By: HillCountryCowboy

Re: Real County - 02/28/12 03:24 PM

The huntings not bad. The deer are smaller than other places in Texas but theres plenty of them. Plenty of hogs and turkey and axis arent uncommon. You chose a good county to get some hunting land in

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Real County - 02/28/12 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 1tonbambam
I was looking at listings from Suttle Real Estate,

http://www.suttleandcompany.com/

Do you know of any other agencies in that area??

Thanks
Call Ron Williams @ pioneer real estate in Leakey,great guy,knows his stuff. Hillcountryrealestate.net

Re: Real County - 02/29/12 02:10 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'm hoping to find a little place before this year's deer season...

Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Real County - 02/29/12 02:19 AM

The Axis alone, possible Fallow etc is worth it alone. Tons and tons of deer to fill the freezer. I think a 110-120 buck is considered great around there free ranging though, only knock against it.

Re: Real County - 02/29/12 02:49 AM

Calling the realtor tomorrow!

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Real County - 02/29/12 02:53 AM

I live in real county. Watch a herd of 20 ish axis from my front porch often. Tons of critters around just don't buy up in the tops of the hills where it's really thick. Mostly just whitetail and aoudad up high

Re: Real County - 02/29/12 03:01 AM

Search Leakey real estate in google . There are a few realtors around

Re: Real County - 02/29/12 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: tannerlst
I live in real county. Watch a herd of 20 ish axis from my front porch often. Tons of critters around just don't buy up in the tops of the hills where it's really thick. Mostly just whitetail and aoudad up high

Thanks, just sent Mr. Williams an e-mail, hopefully we can find something!

Re: Real County - 02/29/12 03:22 AM

Anything close to water or with water and not surrounded by high fence and u should be good. Tons of axis on the frio river but land is pricey on river

Re: Real County - 02/29/12 03:25 AM

My mother in law owns the local newspaper I'll try to let u know if anything shows up

Re: Real County - 02/29/12 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: tannerlst
My mother in law owns the local newspaper I'll try to let u know if anything shows up

Thanks tannerlst, I really appreciate that!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum