Texas Hunting Forum

whens the best time to burn for food plot?

Posted By: Bryan Slagle

whens the best time to burn for food plot? - 01/22/12 07:32 PM

Wondering when you think is best to burn off a area to prep for spring food plots?

Posted By: copperhead

Re: whens the best time to burn for food plot? - 01/22/12 07:50 PM

I'm burning now, mostly because of the weather and land conditions. Never know when the burn ban will be back in effect.

Posted By: don k

Re: whens the best time to burn for food plot? - 01/23/12 12:23 AM

Whenever you don't catch the whole country side on fire is the best time to burn.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: whens the best time to burn for food plot? - 01/23/12 12:44 AM

Enlist the help or knowledge of your TPWD biologist, NRCS agent or county extension agent. Need to make sure you county is not under a burn ban also. Some counties have pretty steep fines for burning.

Posted By: jmc82

Re: whens the best time to burn for food plot? - 01/23/12 03:05 AM

When the wind is blowing 40 mph and it's really dry...

Just kidding. I would ask the local fd what they think.

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: whens the best time to burn for food plot? - 02/20/12 01:59 AM

I've been burning for a couple of days now (when it stops raining long enough)I haven't been able to do it for a couple of years because of drought. LOTS of fuel out there,be careful. I wait until the ground is SOAKING WET but the grass is not,humidity is up,wind is down.start your burn on an edge -road,dozed area,and let it back-burn,I also start the burn in the evenings.Did it before early in the morning and the wind kicked up,talk about a one legged man in an a.. kicking contest,that was me. I believe I shat myself.I won't do that again.Good luck. Oh yeah,call the VFD and let them know when you plan to burn,have them on speed dial in case it turns to crap.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum