Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting to Kill

Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 05:17 AM

What are your feelings on hunting to kill and nothing more? Do you only shoot what you will eat? What about nuisance animals? Just wondering because of another debate going on in the migratory section.

Posted By: waddy

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 05:24 AM

Hogs are like cockroaches. Can't kill enough of them and I could care less what you do with the bodies.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 05:26 AM

I shoot varmints and ain't planning I eating them, some make it to the taxi of that makes it better, I kill snakes not eating them either. Prairie dogs and wont even touch them.

Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 05:29 AM

I can honestly say I don't kill anything just to kill it. There is a purpose behind everything I kill.

The only things I kill now though are the occasional deer and hogs. Coyotes, bobcats, coons, possums, etc, they all get a pass from me unless it's in a HF and I'll shoot the predators

Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 05:34 AM

I hunt to kill. Usually pigs, but I guess there are other motives as well. Workin on MLD land, I can hunt to kill. Trying to get the numbers down, so it's more than just hunting.

Posted By: Ox190

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: z71dustin
I can honestly say I don't kill anything just to kill it. There is a purpose behind everything I kill.

The only things I kill now though are the occasional deer and hogs. Coyotes, bobcats, coons, possums paint cans, etc, they all get a pass from me unless it's in a HF and I'll shoot the predators

bolt

Hogs and nuisance varmints I have no problem shooting them and leaving them lay.

Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 05:39 AM

Originally Posted By: bigdaddy590
What are your feelings on hunting to kill and nothing more? Do you only shoot what you will eat? What about nuisance animals? Just wondering because of another debate going on in the migratory section.

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 05:44 AM

I think Dustin doesn't shoot Rodents because they resemble paint cans. Theyre. Very difficult to tell apart. I shoot skunks coons and yotes for the fun of it. Oh and the occasional dillo. I also shoot ducks for the fun of it but I do eat the meat.

Posted By: Hunter_812

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 06:43 AM

I shoot as many pigs as possible. I leave em were they drop unless its under a feeder and then they just get drug off. I used to hunt rabbits like crazy but haven't seen many in recent yrs. We used to be able to get 30-40 jackrabbits a night out of the wheat fields.

Posted By: jmc82

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 07:46 AM

I shoot stray dogs on my land because they don't belong there. I don't typically shoot coyotes, bobcats,coons,etc. Nature works. No need in me pretending to be a wildlife manager and culling animals. However, if I see a sick looking yote, I will put it down.

Other than that, I eat what I kill.

Posted By: Critter Getter

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 08:57 AM

I mostly hunt predators and keep some skins and all the skulls. I dont hunt many game animals because of all the rules. Skunks are the only varmints that get a pass.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 01:57 PM

popcorn

Posted By: texretvet

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 02:22 PM

I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Posted By: FiftySix

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 03:17 PM

Classic! rofl

Posted By: Armalite260

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: texretvet

TOO MUCH!!!
rofl

Posted By: BYPATHofNIGHT

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 05:09 PM

The only things I kill now though are the occasional deer and hogs. Coyotes, bobcats, coons, possums, etc, they all get a pass from me unless it's in a HF and I'll shoot the predators

x2

Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 07:21 PM

Used to hunt to kill! Now I hunt with camera & gun & put a couple in the freezer & take pictures of everything else. A friend told me it's 'cause I ain't mad at the deer anymore. Depends on mood I'm in!

Last week I put out a coon trap at a feeder, caught one and took him down the road & turned him loose. Coulda shot him, but what the heck - Chalk it up to Christmas....

Posted By: don k

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: texretvet
I just about p**ed myself when I read that.

Posted By: vanguard

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/15/11 11:24 PM

yep me too and only if the land owner says to kill them

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 12:39 AM

Hogs are shot on sight. Some are kept, others aren't. If 'yote sightings get to be too frequent then they get thinned out as well. Same with other varmints...if their numbers get so high that they've become a nuisance, they get shot.

I hunt for big bucks. I like big antlers. But I consume every ounce of meat from the deer I take.

Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 01:47 AM

The only thing I will hunt to kill are pigs and varmits

Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 01:53 AM

i absolutely will not shoot anything i dont plan on eating. Seems like a waste to me. Dont need the bad karma.

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 02:15 AM

I wont shoot a deer just to kill something

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 12:21 PM

Nope.

Posted By: mideon2000

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 03:01 PM

if i aint eating it then i aint gonna shoot it. My personal opinion is that it is sinful and gives ammo for peta people. If you are going to donate or give away the meat then thats great, but I can't kill something for no purpose other than a thrill. jmo

Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 03:05 PM

"sinful" rofl

Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 03:07 PM

Both, I've killed predators, ie:coyotes, fox,hogs,coons,possums,
bobcats,mountain lion,prairie dogs, ect...don't eat much of any.
I've also killed large hogs that I knew I couldn't eat that tore
up crops, fields, fences, and quail nest...Mostly I kill deer,pig,quail, dove and eat them all...I've also cull shot old or injured and wounded animals unfit to eat..Same deal..I don't
get a charge out of killing just to kill...but I raised cows for
more than 50 yrs, and don't consider shooting predators sport
hunting...but a necessity...DD

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 03:14 PM

"sinful" rofl

yep, but thats how I feel.

Posted By: meathunter

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 03:21 PM

My son who is 11 still hunts to kill. He would shoot everything moving if I allowed. But he is not an experienced hunter. He has killed 5 deer with a rifle, and has a couple of bow kills. He still gets that adrenaline rush. I on the other hand have been hunting for 30+ years and do not kill just to kill, unless it is a coyote or hog. I guess in someways it just depends on your maturity as a hunter, and I do not mean this negatively. I have been on doe hunts on high fence and been asked to kill as many mature does as I could. Did I have fun, YES. Did I butcher every animal yes. Depends on the situation.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 03:22 PM

I hunt to hunt. Sometimes it is with a camera and sometimes it is with a gun. If I shoot, I shoot to kill. I kill for meat and I kill for antlers. There are certain animals that I kill to kill, because I felt they needed killing. PETA be damned.

The PC movement and all the extra efforts that people take to avoid offending anyone irritate me. I don't go out of my way to make a point, but I am not going to go out of my way or change my ways because some hippy doesn't like my reason for it.

No one does more for conservation and no organizations give more towards the environment and animals than those created and driven by the hunters and outdoors men. I will take those other organizations seriously when they actually do something besides running their mouth. My 2cents

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 03:50 PM

I kill coyotes & sometimes bobcats if it's time to do some predator control. Besides that, every deer/pig/bird etc gets eaten if it's killed. I kill if an animal is a problem, or if I'm going to eat it. Besides that my safety stays on & I enjoy watching the wildlife. I only kill poisonous snakes, all others get to live. Oh, and I kill every freakin' spider I see. All spiders must die! smile

Posted By: Wiredhernandez

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 03:55 PM

The only animal I just flat out kill are hogs. Are there any of you with hogs problems that wouldn't do this?

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: mideon2000
if i aint eating it then i aint gonna shoot it. My personal opinion is that it is sinful and gives ammo for peta people. If you are going to donate or give away the meat then thats great, but I can't kill something for no purpose other than a thrill. jmo

You would never make it as a rancher

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
I hunt to hunt. Sometimes it is with a camera and sometimes it is with a gun. If I shoot, I shoot to kill. I kill for meat and I kill for antlers. There are certain animals that I kill to kill, because I felt they needed killing. PETA be damned.

The PC movement and all the extra efforts that people take to avoid offending anyone irritate me. I don't go out of my way to make a point, but I am not going to go out of my way or change my ways because some hippy doesn't like my reason for it.

No one does more for conservation and no organizations give more towards the environment and animals than those created and driven by the hunters and outdoors men. I will take those other organizations seriously when they actually do something besides running their mouth. My 2cents

yingyang

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Wiredhernandez
The only animal I just flat out kill are hogs. Are there any of you with hogs problems that wouldn't do this?

We have tons of hogs, I have no idea how many we have killed as a group. Just on the place I'm on right now I've killed somewhere between 60 & 70 so far & that's taking it easy on them. But, big or small every single one of them gets hung up/skinned/gutted/quartered & eaten. Either bbq or sausage meat, we even de-bone all of the ribs-neck for sausage if we're not gonna smoke'em. Just made a bunch of breakfast sausage, chorizo, & tamales. We do have a hog problem, that's for sure. But we never waste anything, there's always somebody out there who could use some free meat...that's just me though. But, on this place also wasting meat will get you kicked off the place. The LO even gets upset when somebody breasts out a dove rather than clean it like a quail lol. My buddy's hog dogs are also usually fed fresh pig meat.

Posted By: catchin'

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 05:03 PM

My first year hunting on a lease I saw a baby raccoon in Oct/Nov in the camp area. I could have shot it but didn't. Big mistake buy spring it was getting into our trash and supplies. After 3 days of picking up trash and cleaning up his mess we baited him and shot him. No more problem.

I will shot all nuisance animals.

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

that is why i am not. I understand killing to protect assets, never really thought about that so i stand corrected.

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 08:44 PM

When wild animals have plenty to eat they thrive, and increase in numbers, and then they have to be dealt with, and usually the most humane method is to hunt them.

If left alone nature will takes it's course and nature isn't always very gentle dealing with an over population or lack of food and water due to reasons like our recent drought.

Getting into the religion side of it, man was given domain over the animals and the earth by our Creator, and we are obligated to not abuse that given blessing.

Like mentioned above farmers and ranchers know this and deal with it on a daily basis.

There are those that might take pleasure in just killing for fun, but if that is the case then that is a serious issue that must be dealt with in a hurry by professionals.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

that is why i am not. I understand killing to protect assets, never really thought about that so i stand corrected.

i shot my mouflon purely for the hunt. meat was so bad i literally couldn't give it away. shooting something just to shoot it and throw it away is one thing, but nothing wrong hunting for a trophy.

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 09:04 PM

Racoons are fun to shoot

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: pokerj2
Racoons are fun to shoot
Noting like hearing a big coin fall out of te tree

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Hunting to Kill - 12/16/11 10:44 PM

I have no problem with it, when I live in west Texas we killed over 100 jack rabbits a night, 2 or 3 nights a week, on the same place/roads week after week. I also don't feel bad about killing coons, skunks or coyotes.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum