Texas Hunting Forum

Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot

Posted By: LifetimeLadyHunter

Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 04:38 AM

When I was about 15 years old, I was sitting up in a tall pin oak tree overlooking a creek. At early light I saw a nice buck with a doe and eventually they came close enough for me to take a shot with my .30-30. The 8 point buck ran across the creek to the other side while the doe just stood there.
I shot her, climbed down out of my stand to go look for my buck and found a huge pile of blood on the ground where
I shot him and across the creek. Then I noticed the grass completely flattened out and no sign of the buck. One of daddy's hunters came walking up and asked me if I got anything. He convinced me the buck must have drug himself, got up and ran off. Looking back years later, I realized that the man stole my deer. He must have been walking in the woods at the time the buck dropped. When he saw me coming, he drug the deer a ways, and then picked it up and stashed it somewhere in the woods. That is really dirty and low down from a man to do that to a kid. This buck was my first 8 point and it took me years to get another one,

Posted By: ZenArchery

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 04:54 AM

2 years ago a friend of mine shot a deer in tennessee. a few moments he heard a shot not far from him. you guessed they both shot the same deer. tempers flared, coolers head prevailed, game warden was called, 2 shots were in the deer. neither party would cool down. then my buddy realized he was wasting good hunting time. gave the deer over.

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 04:55 AM

Not saying it couldn't happen but it sounds like you jumped an injured/dying deer from what was probably his last bedding spot. Once you jump one their adrenaline starts pumping and they are going to go farther

Posted By: waddy

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 05:09 AM

Never had that happen but I was dove hunting on a day lease and the guy next to me had a dog that retrieved every dove I shot and took it to his master. It was almost funny. almost...

Posted By: basspromaster

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 05:28 AM

Watched a hunting show last night and a guy shot this massive 10 pt. When he got to his buck he realized it had a second whole where another arrow had passed threw. After calling his buddy they realized he had shot a buck that his buddy shot 1800 yards away. They seemed pretty peacefull about it but they didn't really tell us who kept the deer.

Posted By: Hunter_812

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 06:46 AM

Ive always heard that first blood gets the deer, but I've never seen a deer go stolen like that.

Posted By: Savage388

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 11:07 AM

The only deer I ever shot with a bow was picked up by the neighboring land owner while he was mowing. He is an staunch anti-hunter. I shot a nice doe, she jumped the fence and walked out into the edge of his field. The land owner(who's place I was hunting) walked over there and saw where the blood stopped. It is the only explaination.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 12:35 PM

First doe I killed with the bow. I was hunting about 200 yards from the road on public land. A thicket between me and the road. Shot her and she ran toward the road. I thought great less distance to get her out. Waited 30 minutes and started trailing, blood trail ended in drag marks that went to the road to where 2 people loaded the doe into the back of a truck. It had rained that morning and the tracks showed it real well.

Posted By: PlastikBulletz

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: basspromaster
Watched a hunting show last night and a guy shot this massive 10 pt. When he got to his buck he realized it had a second whole where another arrow had passed threw. After calling his buddy they realized he had shot a buck that his buddy shot 1800 yards away. They seemed pretty peacefull about it but they didn't really tell us who kept the deer.

That was Bone Collector. I believe T-Bone claimed the buck as his.

http://www.huntstrategies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4293

Posted By: Bobby B

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 01:22 PM

A buddy of mine lived in PA for a few years. He told me that up there you had better be prepared to go to the mat over a deer. It happened a lot, especially during gun season where they had clues as where to go to look for one.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: waddy
Never had that happen but I was dove hunting on a day lease and the guy next to me had a dog that retrieved every dove I shot and took it to his master. It was almost funny. almost...

my girls bring them all back to me grin

pretty sad when someone claims your deer

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 01:38 PM

Sounds to me like the buck just jumped and you never found him.

I've had quite a few bucks that were laying down come back to life and haul tail.

Posted By: DCS

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 01:46 PM

Never has happened to me, but I once had a guy and his buddy drive up to my cabin, on my land and semi accuse me of stealing the buck that his son had shot.

They had to drive right in front of my wifes blind to get to the cabin, I would have really been "PO'ed" if she would have been in there hunting. Anyway, he said that was his son's first deer. The boy shot the deer and while he was waiting for help, heard a four wheeler or something like that, went back to look for the deer and it was gone.

He was actually peeping around the cabin area to see if he could find any trace of the deer, wanted to know if we had a four wheeler, etc. I assurred him, we did not have his deer. I was about ready to tell him that he was trespassing and really needs to go away. I don't have any idea who that guy was, I know all my neighbors and he wasn't one of them. I never saw him again, always thought it was kind of weird.

Posted By: KG68

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 01:47 PM

Never had a deer stolen. Had lots of dove claimed by others. But the funniest I ever saw was pheasant hunting one year in the panhandle. We had one guy claim every bird that fell. It got so funny that every time a bird fell several guys would yell nice shot Joe even when the fellow didn't shoot. Same fellow fired off a round in the air as we were all standing in a group discussing strategy before a hunt. Said he was testing his safety wtf. Guy has never been invited back after that year. loco

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 02:01 PM

Once. And not the whole deer,just the head of a nice 8 point. I stupidly left it in the back of my truck overnight at my in-laws house. Wasn't the best neighborhood-deer head was gone the next morning-cooler of meat was still there.

Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 02:43 PM

years ago when i was probably 10, my dad and i wear hunitng over in Llano on a 600 acre place. we were sitting in the blind and coudl see this buck running at pretty good speed towrds us and the fence line that is close. anyway, the deer looked fine but when he went to jump the fence and landed pretty much in the middle of it and bounced off of it. my dad already had his gun ready and when the buck stood up, shot him. when we went to get him the deer's whole rear end was blown up. good reason not to be able to jump........when we went back to camp another hunter said he saw a nice 8 walking away from him and he took a luck shot and thought he missed. Apparently he didnt but just taking the meat off the deer's butt didnt put him down. My dad kept the deer

Posted By: luvpigmeet

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 02:58 PM

I was 15 and shot a 5 point. Two guys jumped up in front of me(idiots were hunting the wrong way). They claimed the deer. My Dad went to look at the Deer and said I missed. Going home that evening he said I did shoot the Deer but it was all shot up from going down the line. Mn I was so mad. Haven't shot one since.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 03:03 PM

Reminds me of a story. Akid shoots his first Deer. Couple guys lay claim to it. Agame Warden came by and asked the kid what was wrong. After he told him the story, the Game Warden went to talk to the other hunters. They said, Yes,Yes, we shot the deer. The Game Warden said, are you sure? once again said,yes we did! The Game Warden said,okay here is your $5000 fine! For what? For shooting an Elk out of season! Crime doesn't pay!!

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 03:06 PM

Man those situations would anger me!

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 03:18 PM

I have a co-worker from Michigan. He said that was common practice. When you shot a deer, you didn't give it any time to die or you'd find somebody else gutting it.

Posted By: bigpig_slayer

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 03:35 PM

I have not had a deer but have had a hog stolen before. Was hunting in guadalupe county jumped a group of hogs. Instead of heading into the brush they made a circle around me and i opened up with the ol 30-30. Knocked 3 down as they circled and came back towards me and into the brush. Walked down to the truck to get my brother. Went to go get them and 2 were missing. You could see drag marks and blood trail all the way to the fence then across right into the middle of the road and that was it. We did not hear a truck or anything but you could plainly see those sorry suckers tire tracks. I guess someone needed to eat worse than me. Was my first multiple pig kill!!!

Posted By: TF Panther

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 04:02 PM

Saw a young girl in Iowa lose about a 180 class buck. Doing a deer drive Deer jumped up in front of here and she hit it with a 20Ga. slug. Deer was slowly trying to get across a Cut corn field he was not going much further when 2 shots rang out from the other side. Buck dropped and the guys on the other side staked the claim. She was very upset. I think she was 18 yo or so.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 04:26 PM

Target destroyed. Cease fire over. Target destroyed out.

Posted By: Bryan D

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 04:37 PM

several years ago I shot a nice buck on public land. the deer ran about 75 yards before meeting another hunters bullet. it turned into a heated argument but the game warden said and exact words were " your bullet didn't kill it, his did" and that was the end of it

Posted By: Armalite260

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 04:42 PM

I was hunting a day lease in San Saba several years ago. I took a doe one evening. I tagged her, hung her up then went into town for some grub. When I got back, the other guys who were hunting took my doe packed up their camp and hauled butt. I was floored, and prayed she was as tough as a boot when they ate her..

Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 05:10 PM

Isn't it a rule written somewhere that the first fatal shot fired is the victor? Not meaning the final shot that kills the animal, but the first shot fired that would result in the animal dying?

I know someone better be prepared to fight, and fight dirty, if they wanna claim an animal I killed. It would have nothing to do with the animal itself, but everything to do with the principle. Without principles, we are only a pose-able thumb above the animals anyway.

Posted By: Nightlight

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: waddy

Now thats a good dog! lol

Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: LifetimeLadyHunter
I shot her, climbed down out of my stand to go look for my buck and found a huge pile of blood on the ground where I shot him and across the creek.

So you shot him, her or both of them?

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: psycho0819
Isn't it a rule written somewhere that the first fatal shot fired is the victor? Not meaning the final shot that kills the animal, but the first shot fired that would result in the animal dying?

I know someone better be prepared to fight, and fight dirty, if they wanna claim an animal I killed. It would have nothing to do with the animal itself, but everything to do with the principle. Without principles, we are only a pose-able thumb above the animals anyway.

the way i see it... if you shot it and it didn't go down and die you didn't kill it. plenty of deer get injured and live to see another day. i'd say the person who actually drops the deer dead is the victor...

now if you shot the deer dead then someone wanted to claim it, then there may be a fight .

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: TF Panther
Saw a young girl in Iowa lose about a 180 class buck. Doing a deer drive Deer jumped up in front of here and she hit it with a 20Ga. slug. Deer was slowly trying to get across a Cut corn field he was not going much further when 2 shots rang out from the other side. Buck dropped and the guys on the other side staked the claim. She was very upset. I think she was 18 yo or so.

If that had been one of my daughters, we would have had ourselves a Mexican Standoff there for sure. If she honestly shot it, no one is going to take an animal from my girl.

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 08:17 PM

Years back when I was a teen my dad took my buck to the cold storage locker in Bandera, and back then just about every hunter in the county took their deer there or to one other locker there in town.

It wasn't unusual for most of the hunters to go in and out of the locker just to look, or even take their deer out and load it themselves, and common for folks to stop off there after their morning hunt and check to see what was brought in.

Anyway my buck was one of the better ones brought in and had an unusual feature in that the brow tines curled forward and about 6" long which made for a lot of conversation as we dropped it off.

The guy that owned and ran the ice house/beer joint as we called it, said he noticed a guy loading a buck into the back of his pickup and decided to give him a hand loading what he thought was his buck. He then noticed the brow tines that were curled forward and knew then it wasn't his buck and stopped the guy right there, and told the guy he had better put that deer back in the locker and not waste time getting out of there because he was calling the sheriff.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Cody Malone
Not saying it couldn't happen but it sounds like you jumped an injured/dying deer from what was probably his last bedding spot. Once you jump one their adrenaline starts pumping and they are going to go farther

x2

Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/15/11 09:09 PM

Coyotes nearly have a couple of times.

Posted By: Lazy W Whitetail

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/16/11 12:09 AM

About 20 years ago I was hunting in northern Colorado and I was shooting across one hill to the other. A nice 4X4 came across the other hill about 300 yards so I took aim and shot. The buck went straight down. I sat there for awhile deciding which way would be the best to get across the deep canyon in between. Before I could get up another hunter walks up to my buck and begins gutting him. I stood up so he could see me and he never once looked in my direction. I was so mad that finally I just left. The best thing about it was that I later killed a 5X5 that was a much better buck than that one.

Posted By: JakeinTX

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/16/11 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter
I have a co-worker from Michigan. He said that was common practice. When you shot a deer, you didn't give it any time to die or you'd find somebody else gutting it.

Yes, I grew up in Michigan and if you were hunting public land you better make sure the deer is down with one shot. If the deer ran far you were gonna end up having to deal with someone else claiming it.

Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/16/11 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunter_812
Ive always heard that first blood gets the deer, but I've never seen a deer go stolen like that.

I've always heard who puts it down is the one to claim it. Unless the rear or back straps were shot by the 1st hunter roflmao

Posted By: passthru

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/16/11 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: JakeinTX
Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Yes, I grew up in Michigan and if you were hunting public land you better make sure the deer is down with one shot. If the deer ran far you were gonna end up having to deal with someone else claiming it.

That's why folks from down here call them "damned yankees".

Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/16/11 04:06 AM

This happened to my wife. She was sitting in a stand about 200 yds from me. I heard her shoot so I climbed out of the stand and walked towards her. When I got to within about 50 yds, I could hear her arguing with some man. I recognized her tone of voice as the one that usually makes me turn and run so I hid in a pine thicket to see how it would turn out! She told him 3 times that it was her deer and he kept saying it wasn't. Finally, I saw her draw a bead on him with the 30-30. He figured she wasn't kidding at that point and said, "Fine m'am...that's your deer but can I get my saddle off him?"

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/16/11 04:21 AM

I shot the buck. He ran into the creek and up the other side. The doe was standing there just looking. I shot her and she fell dead on the spot. Went to where the buck was standing when I fired the shot and found a large amount of blood. Tracked him across the dry creek bed and found another large pool of blood on the other side. Followed blood trail and saw grass completely flattened out for about 30 feet. (I now know that it was where the man drug the buck.) Man walks up and asked me if I got one? I think he saw me coming,lifted the deer up and stashed him behind some brush while leading me the opposite direction.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/16/11 04:38 AM

Never had an issue with one of mine, but helped a bow hunter track one on our lease one time. He shot the deer fairly early, came back to camp and after a quick meal we headed out to start tracking. The blood trail was pretty steady and we came to the fence at a county road. It was about 60 yards from his stand. The blood trail ended in the middle of the road and there was a large pool of blood almost dead center in the road. The deer was gone, blood trail ended, and tire tracks through the pool.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/16/11 04:55 AM

I have a friend who shot a really nice 160 class WT with a bow around Menard back years ago. He hit the buck but could not find him after looking for hours after dark and he had to get back to work the early the next morning. He told his best friend the next day who also hunted the ranch with him about the deer. His best friend went out the next day after that and found the dead buck. His best friend tagged the buck and mounted it as his own and never told his the guy about it. The guy found out thru another friend about the deer about 6 months later. Lost his deer and a life long friend over the deer and not a word was ever spoken between them again.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/16/11 05:01 AM

With a friend like that, who needs enemies? Very low down and dirty! I wouldn't speak to him either.

Posted By: waddy

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/16/11 05:36 AM

Originally Posted By: tannerlst
Originally Posted By: psycho0819

the way i see it... if you shot it and it didn't go down and die you didn't kill it. plenty of deer get injured and live to see another day. i'd say the person who actually drops the deer dead is the victor...

now if you shot the deer dead then someone wanted to claim it, then there may be a fight .

I see your point but you can shoot a deer in a leathal spot and it can still run off a ways before it dies. If a deer is about to die from another hunter's bullet and you finish him off are you really going to claim it?

Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/16/11 03:12 PM

Yrs. ago in NW Colorado in the Cathedral Mtns. we hunted with a
guy from Fredsbg. who'd been brain injured. He was an excellent
hunter, but very docile person...Some Tullies and a Colorado guy
took two different mule deer from him...both around 30 incs.

Later, we started tagging the deer & hiding the tag in the inner
ear..About a wk. later the Game Warden got them and they got to
donate their Jeep,Guns, and all their hunting equipt. to the State, as well as all their points...Good Riddance..DD

Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/16/11 04:22 PM

I don't get wanting to mount something that you didn't take yourself. The cool part isn't the mount itself, it's the story that goes with it.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/16/11 11:52 PM

About 12 years ago a 8 point buck ran out of the woods near my stand and I could see he had a broken front leg. I shot and tagged the buck and left him in the woods while I went back to get a skid to put him on to take back to the camp. Whenever I returned, two of the hunters of the lease were standing by the buck. It turns out that one of them made the first shot and had been trailing the deer. When the shooter found the deer shot and tagged he was a little upset. Even though I
actually killed the buck and tagged it, I gave him the deer. I am glad it wasn't a monster buck because the outcome may have been different.

Posted By: batman

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/17/11 02:27 AM

I would never want a deer that I finished off for another hunter. But, in Texas, the killer is the owner.

Posted By: DSP56

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot - 12/17/11 04:12 AM

It happened to me on my parents place last year. I shot a 150" 10 point opening Saturday evening. I went to where I thought the buck went down and couldn't find any blood. After walking around the area for a while I deceided that I had missed. All night it just didn't set right with me. I just knew that I didn't miss that deer. So the next morning I went to my stand and set until around 8:30. I got out of my stand and started looking for blood again. Still nothing. A little bit later my uncle came over to my stand and asked where my deer was? I ( being very embarrassed ) told him that I guess that I had just flat missed. He said " no you didn't." and pointed to a hugh pool of blood on the ground. We followed the trail right over our neighbors fence. I called our neighbor to get permission to cross the fence and look for my deer. He said no problem but told me that that night he and his hired hand were out hog hunting and had spotted a BIG 10 laying under a pecan tree. He said that they thought it was sleeping so they pulled out and sent a different way around him so they wouldn't run him off. Yeah right! He took me to the spot where he said the buck was laying and sure enough there was blood. He said he guessed the buck had wondered off. What he didn't know was that I was setting in my stand at around 5:45 that morning and could see his jeep pull to right where he took me . The jeep stopped for around 10 minutes and then went back to his hired hands house. I
100% sure that his worker went back and got my deer that was just "sleeping " under the pecan tree! bang

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum