Texas Hunting Forum

wild dogs

Posted By: kagomez85

wild dogs - 11/05/11 10:45 PM

Shoot em or let them walk? I have a entire pack on my place and deer activity has stopped got probably 50 pics of them around my feeder. Do they mess with deer?

Posted By: notamtchance

Re: wild dogs - 11/05/11 10:47 PM

Yes, shoot them. And yes, they mess with deer.

Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: wild dogs - 11/05/11 10:56 PM

rifle elmer

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: wild dogs - 11/05/11 10:58 PM

They'll run a deer to death..... rifle them on sight!!!

Posted By: NEVAGA

Re: wild dogs - 11/05/11 11:07 PM

shoot!!

Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: wild dogs - 11/05/11 11:13 PM

X2. Get em all.

Re: wild dogs - 11/05/11 11:19 PM

I just dropped one about ten to go

Posted By: echoman8

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 02:56 AM

Yea shoot. They are worse than coyotes on wildlife and livestock.
If possible, try to get the leader.

Posted By: bcc5543

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 02:59 AM

Not only will they run the deer they will eat the fawns! Open season on them anytime you can.

Posted By: MBrown

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 03:08 AM

hanged

Posted By: Big Will

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 03:42 AM

CHOOT EM ELIZABETH CHOOT EM

Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 03:55 AM

My 2cents but does shooting dogs (stray or not) mean you broke the law? If so then you admitted on an open forum you broke the law. hammer Need a get out of jail free card?

Posted By: jmc82

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 04:13 AM

No laws against shooting dogs that I can think of. I do it all the time. For whatever reason, the road leading to where I hunt is a local drop point for unwanted pets. I've probably shot 200 cats and dogs over the past 10 years.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: jmc82
No laws against shooting dogs that I can think of. I do it all the time. For whatever reason, the road leading to where I hunt is a local drop point for unwanted pets. I've probably shot 200 cats and dogs over the past 10 years.

In Texas it is illegal to shoot strays unless they are in the act of, or have been seen attacking livestock. There was a thread not too long ago about this. I will see if I can find it, because the portion of the law pertaining to this was quoted in it.

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 05:37 AM

Here you go...last paragraph
Originally Posted By: txshntr
822.013. Dogs or Coyotes That Attack Animals

(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:

(1) any person witnessing the attack; or

(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.

(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.

(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.

(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.
-----------------------------
Shooting “stray” Dogs and Cats (Penal Code 42.09 Animal Cruelty). Any person who shoots a non-livestock animal, which includes any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured, can be charged with a felony offense. Penal Code 42.092 of the State of Texas law states that a person must have the owner’s consent to kill the animal (exceptions to prosecution are provided in Section 42.092(e)(1)). It is clear that a “stray” dog or cat either has no owner or that the person who shoots the animal did not get the owner’s consent.

Posted By: shark 25-06

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 07:29 AM

shoot it anyway, whos gonna find out. put a highfence on your ranch and then you have "livestock" at risk

Posted By: Sooner N TX

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 02:16 PM

I think the distinction should be made between lost and stray dogs, to full out feral. Once they start moving in packs and operating like true wild animals, they should be considered non-game exotic fur bearers.

My opinion. And prove who shot if you can find it.

Posted By: NDN98

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 02:50 PM

(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:

(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.

(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.

(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.

(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.
Shooting “stray” Dogs and Cats (Penal Code 42.09 Animal Cruelty). Any person who shoots a non-livestock animal, which includes any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured, can be charged with a felony offense. Penal Code 42.092 of the State of Texas law states that a person must have the owner’s consent to kill the animal (exceptions to prosecution are provided in Section 42.092(e)(1)). It is clear that a “stray” dog or cat either has no owner or that the person who shoots the animal did not get the owner’s consent.

bang What about an animal that was born in the wild and not "previously captured?" How could you proved that it was or wasn't born in the wild unless it had tags on it.

Posted By: matej

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 03:21 PM

shoot em all and let the buzzards pick their bones.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 03:27 PM

What wild dogs? peep

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 07:14 PM

I also have cows on my place so really not to concerned with this ridiculous law, but I squealed a coyote call and this thing came running out of the woods nose is the air on the hunt, they are definitely feral.

Posted By: billy gordon

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 07:32 PM

Just had a deal with dogs and called the sheriffs out.I like dogs and have hog dogs and collared and name and rabie tags on them.Neighbor lets dogs run loose chase horses and gets in trash.I dont like it but told them after their dogs came and jumped on mine and mine was on a chain,I dont want to but will shoot to kill if it happens again.Well my goat got killed by two of their dogs and i called the shriff to cover my butt when i shoot one or both.They said i have every right to protect my property and animals on my land.We are also a leash county.I shot one after throwing sticks at it and wouldnt leave so dont have to worry about him or getting in trouble.Hate to see a dog owner be so stupid.

Posted By: Don Dial

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 09:44 PM

Billy, I'm from over your way but live in the Hill Country near
Bandera. I raise and train dogs and have most of my life. I know that you need to protect yourself, family, and property. I
find it unfortunate that so many people make this so hard on most
of us. Remember anyone can be sued, so shoot, shovel, and shutup. These sheepherders over here are the reason I don't have
hounds anymore...and mine were broke to death....You couldn't make one trash or mess with livestock, and I keep them all kenneled or on a chain....Don

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 10:48 PM

That law is not what you think it is. If you read the entire statute, it makes no sense and could hardly be applied to shooting a wild dog or cat on your land.

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 11:04 PM

Pretty sure the last paragraph specifically calls out "a stray cat or dog"...but it doesn't apply confused2

Posted By: RLoving1

Re: wild dogs - 11/06/11 11:36 PM

Nothing a faster bullet can't handle! Ever tried to find enough of 52 grain match king after hitting a critter to prove what it was?

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 12:23 AM

Pretty sure the last paragraph specifically calls out "a stray cat or dog"...but it doesn't apply confused2

That statute also says it is illegal to do physical harm without the owners permission. That can be interpreted as "you can abuse animals with the owners permission" That is false. Not every statute is written as a stand alone law. Most are there to add on to greater charges to steepen the penalties handed down from the courts. Similar to a drug paraphenelia charge. Rarely is that a stand alone charge in court since it is a class c misdememanor. But, add it to a drug posession charge, and bam, stiffer sentence.

Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 12:36 AM

THF legal advice is entertaining if nothing else.

Here is a link to the penal code statute for "cruelty to nonlivestock animals"

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.42.htm#42.092

(f) could be interpreted many ways.

Posted By: aeb

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Don Dial
so shoot, shovel, and shutup.

Pretty well sums it up.

Posted By: mark in tx

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 03:32 AM

Most everyone I know will shoot a dog or dogs running in packs on their land. They just don't post on the Internet about it.

Posted By: SmithR

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 04:25 AM

Kill them all

Posted By: RedTrail

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 08:13 AM

Its simple...buy a couple goats as livestock for your property and pick the dogs a part.

Posted By: BenBob

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 03:27 PM

Just my opinion, but using a little common sense could go a long way on this topic. Naturally with more people afield this time of year because of hunting season, there is a chance of more dogs being in the woods. A pack of dogs running deer and livestock is a lot different than someone's bird dog getting lost. So, I think I would take a close look at the situation before I opened up firing on a dog.

A couple of years ago, I was turning into a place that I lease and I saw a dog in the bar ditch. I got out and called it and it would not come to me, but it sat down and was looking at me. It was not mean, but everytime I tried to load it in my truck, it would not let me grab it. FInally I said, "Load up," and those were the magic words, as it jumped into the back of my pickup. I looked on it's collar and there was a name and number to call. I called and a man from Kansas answered and said that they had been down hunting blue quail and had lost the dog. He said he would be down to get the dog in a few hours and would I meet him at the airport. He showed up about 4 hours later in his private jet piloted by a person at his disposal. He offered me a handsome reward, which I turned down because I was more than glad to help hook the owner up with his dog. I did get to hunt over the dog the next time these people came down to hunt and I can see why he went to all the expense to come and get his dog.

Use some common sense when deciding whether or not to shoot a dog. Remember, the problem is with people that do not take care of their animals rather than with the dog itself. I am not saying never shoot a dog, because there are situations where a dog or dogs need to be shot, but just use some common sense.

Posted By: wrknonit

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 03:29 PM

Mr. Dial is right on the money. shoot, shovel and shut up. We had the same problem back when I lived in North Carolina; feral and stray packs would destroy wildlife and carry off piglets and chickens at an alarming rate. If they had responsible owners, there wouldn't be a problem. They are feral, not stray. SHOOT!

Posted By: TSU99

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 03:37 PM

Heck, I'll come over there and shoot them for you, if you'd like. I don't live that far away.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 03:40 PM

No collar=dead

Posted By: Seadog

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
No collar=dead

up

Posted By: Navasot

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 03:42 PM

Ok a dog came into my yard and attacked my dog (that was also not on a leash or penned up)...it belonged to the people that lived two houses down from me and i was aware of it....walked outside and shot the dog..neighbors called the law on me and they simply told them since there wasnt a leash law they couldnt do a thing...but this thread wasnt about strays or pets....it was a question about wild dogs...we have this same problem around here alot..there is always a gun and shovel in the truck

Posted By: Navasot

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
No collar=dead

up

what collar confused2 peep

Posted By: TSU99

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 03:49 PM

Feral dogs are worse than any coyote. Coyotes kill for food wild dogs will kill for sport, and leave the body lay. I shoot wild dogs on sight.

Posted By: DudleyDoRight76

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 04:23 PM

I shot one this weekend! If it chases deer it dies!

Posted By: Ern3st

Re: wild dogs - 11/07/11 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
Just my opinion, but using a little common sense could go a long way on this topic. Naturally with more people afield this time of year because of hunting season, there is a chance of more dogs being in the woods. A pack of dogs running deer and livestock is a lot different than someone's bird dog getting lost. So, I think I would take a close look at the situation before I opened up firing on a dog.

A couple of years ago, I was turning into a place that I lease and I saw a dog in the bar ditch. I got out and called it and it would not come to me, but it sat down and was looking at me. It was not mean, but everytime I tried to load it in my truck, it would not let me grab it. FInally I said, "Load up," and those were the magic words, as it jumped into the back of my pickup. I looked on it's collar and there was a name and number to call. I called and a man from Kansas answered and said that they had been down hunting blue quail and had lost the dog. He said he would be down to get the dog in a few hours and would I meet him at the airport. He showed up about 4 hours later in his private jet piloted by a person at his disposal. He offered me a handsome reward, which I turned down because I was more than glad to help hook the owner up with his dog. I did get to hunt over the dog the next time these people came down to hunt and I can see why he went to all the expense to come and get his dog.

Use some common sense when deciding whether or not to shoot a dog. Remember, the problem is with people that do not take care of their animals rather than with the dog itself. I am not saying never shoot a dog, because there are situations where a dog or dogs need to be shot, but just use some common sense.

this x1000! This is why i only keep close hunters. You never know when some idiot will blow your dogs head off just because they see them running through a field.

Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: wild dogs - 11/08/11 01:11 AM

Shoot em,,,,,,,,,they kill deer.

Posted By: dlrz71

Re: wild dogs - 11/08/11 03:39 AM

We had several pictures last year of strays with no collars on. Call sherriffs office and they said shoot on site if no collar. Never saw one though or they would have gottan a dirt nap. Didn't see deer there for a while either. Also very scary as strays are used to humans so they will have no fear of you so be prepared when walking around.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: wild dogs - 11/08/11 04:07 AM

Walking to my stand one morning I happened on 2 ferel dogs, one ran s short way and stopped, while the other just stood its ground bearing teeth and growling. That was its final act, the other one also found that it had not run from its friend far enough. I grewup im an area that is a dumping area for those unwanted pets. Some survive to become predators of livestock and wildlife. If the dog in question does not have a collar....

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum