Texas Hunting Forum

Bois D'arc Creek

Posted By: Tjack28

Bois D'arc Creek - 09/20/11 12:25 PM

I was watching a video titled "Bois D'Arc Goodbye" by Russell and Bubba Graves. They were talking about how the creek was being dammed up to create a reservoir for the water needs of the DFW metroplex. I hated to hear that such a great area was being cleared and flooded and had always heard there was some good hunting up that way.

Then I remembered that the Caddo national grasslands, also in Fannin county has a bois d'arc creek unit. I've never hunted the area but have heard lots about it. I was wondering does anyone know a little more about this situation and can give any more details about it? Will the bois d'arc creek unit of the grasslands be affected by the flooding?

You can watch the video here: http://blog.russellgraves.com/2010/05/bois-darc-goodbye-documentary-film.html

Posted By: Tjack28

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 09/20/11 12:48 PM

sorter video from TPW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QEttQfHlEE

Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 09/20/11 01:44 PM

Well put together. Really enjoyed it.

Posted By: kdub

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 09/20/11 04:38 PM

That is a great video. I love that part of the state. Sad to see it go.

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 09/20/11 09:00 PM

As usual Russel and Bubba,great storytelling in words and pictures.If more people understood the importance of our hardwood bottomlands and the speed with which they're getting destroyed maybe they would think about water and how at least 50 percent is wasted.My dad grew up in Bogata Tx.and the sulphur river bottoms is where his PaPa would take him squirrel hunting and fishing.Now a lot of it has been cleared.People in Dallas HAVE to have their st. Augustine grass.It boils down to priorities.People that have no attachment to the outdoors couldn't care less I'm afraid,very sad.

Posted By: pittdog33

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 09/20/11 09:21 PM

awesome story. great job.

Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 09/21/11 08:51 PM

Nice video.

The new reservoir will not go into the Caddo National Grasslands since it is Federally protected. The Dam will be at the southern edge of the grasslands.

There is alot of info at the North Texas Municipal Water District's web page.

http://www.ntmwd.com/bois_dArc.html

Here is a general map.

http://www.ntmwd.com/downloads/LBDCR/LBDC%20Reservoir%20general%20location%20map.pdf

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 09/21/11 08:54 PM

I remember when they made that! It is a good video

Posted By: NDN98

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 09/22/11 03:10 AM

Very well done documentary. Sad thing is, as long as our population continues to increase and becomes more urban, we will continue loosing more areas like this every year.

Posted By: FLParish

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/12/13 02:20 PM

Great video on that area.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/12/13 03:06 PM

Have hunted that area before, been a while but it is a beautiful area. Have seen deer, hogs, turkey, squirrels, otter, beaver, ducks and many other critters while bow hunting that area. Good by to a great area.

Of course the game will adapt, some will have to move some will stay like the beavers and otters.

Good by to another stretch of bottom land that will be gone forever in the name of "progress"
Posted By: Redneck Messiah

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/12/13 03:15 PM

Dads place backs up to Bois D'Arc, it wont effect him directly as he is further west, but it will push a lot of critters his way for sure
Posted By: Briar Rabbit

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/13/13 04:16 PM

Great work, your story is very compelling, I've to boisd'arc creek and seen some of this same beauty. It will be a lost treasure.
Posted By: Hooper21

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/13/13 05:19 PM

Sad thing is 'water needs' include a bunch of wasteful watering of lawns by a bunch of people that don't know what they're doing.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/13/13 06:24 PM

Water needs includes useful and wasteful depreciation of water resources.

Just about every body of water in this state was created using the same method and to support a multitude of purposes including agricultural, industrial and residential use.

What about the other reservoirs in this state? Maybe you could get together with a bunch of tree huggers and declare jihad on all the reservoir dams in this state. We could all return to our roots as hunter/gatherers and abandon our major metroploitan areas.
Posted By: JDCOX

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/13/13 06:31 PM

I'm new to THF and was wondering if or where I could post an interest in joining a hunting lease? Any guidance would be appreciated.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/13/13 06:33 PM

Don't forget washing autos and trucks. One shower per week is enough for anyone. Grooming dogs? Swimming pools?
Posted By: 36 South

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/13/13 07:43 PM

Check out Land/Leases JDCOX.
Posted By: 2010bigdog

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/13/13 07:58 PM

My old family homestead is there. Thanks for posting!
Posted By: JDCOX

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/13/13 09:07 PM

Thank You!
Posted By: jmc82

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/13/13 09:14 PM

WIll be nice to have a new lake close by.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/14/13 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Don't forget washing autos and trucks. One shower per week is enough for anyone. Grooming dogs? Swimming pools?

and the Industrial Revolution for that matter
Posted By: add147

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/14/13 03:25 AM

Sad that we are loosing such a fine place!!!
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/15/13 01:23 AM

It's very sad to be losing it, but the number of people adversely effected is a very, very miniscule fraction of the number of people that will be served by this. As is always the case.

That said, I don't blame the few effected at all for being angry/bitter/sad. I would be too.
Posted By: bhtkevin

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/15/13 01:32 AM

People around there sure seem to be jumping at the rising property cost!
Posted By: RavennaDuckman

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/15/13 06:40 AM

It sure will send some deer towards me!
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/15/13 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: RavennaDuckman
It sure will send some deer towards me!

True, but it'll probably send more hogs than deer. Our place is just north of the Gov land and it will be interesting to see how this affects the wildlife in the area.
Posted By: agsellers04

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/15/13 04:32 PM

There has already been quite a bit of timber cut in the Bois d' Arc bottom over the past few years spreading wildlife this way and that as they search for new habitat. Some of the landowners have got/ are getting/ will get as much of the timber value ahead of their properties being taken as they can; not to blame either. I have noticed a change in the wildlife population in the last five years more drastic than the previous twenty combined.
Posted By: fishdog

Re: Bois D'arc Creek - 01/15/13 06:25 PM

sad to see it go but i tend to look at the positives. We will get a new like and likely some more public land surrounding it and thats never a bad thing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum