Texas Hunting Forum

washington county

Posted By: daniel25s

washington county - 08/01/11 09:25 PM

curious to see if anyone else hunts in or near washington county and if you have harvested any nice deer?

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: washington county - 08/01/11 09:50 PM

The school owns a bunch of land around Twin Buttes in San Angelo. They are world class deer that come out of that property.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: washington county - 08/01/11 11:02 PM

san angelo isn't washington county....

Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: washington county - 08/01/11 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: highlonesome1
The school owns a bunch of land around Twin Buttes in San Angelo. They are world class deer that come out of that property.

That is true Washington county school district owns property,mineral rights, in Tom Green county.

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: washington county - 08/01/11 11:55 PM

lol I hope the actual County has bucks as nice.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: washington county - 08/01/11 11:55 PM

You check here under the current standing listing and also in the archives for you county to see what type of deer are being taken in your county. Also under the entry photos tab on upper part of this page is some pics from the region of your county.
http://www.texasbiggameawards.org/index.htm

Re: washington county - 08/02/11 01:17 PM

why would the school district own land out there?

Re: washington county - 08/02/11 01:41 PM

Not sure but i assume thru tax lien or donation to county, current lease is for gas and oil, 30 months 87K up front and 30% of oil and gas production, money divided between Brenham and Burton ISD. One source of deer harvest, go to Nathan's formally Big Daddy's BBQ "Big Buck Contest" photos of deer entered, dating back at least 10 yrs entries from Washington and surrounding counties. deer2

Re: washington county - 08/02/11 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: highlonesome1
lol I hope the actual County has bucks as nice.

I wish, my neighbor's 16 yo son did harvest a nice basic 8 with 4" double drops last year, maybe 2 miles from my house. Unfortunatley not the norm. Mature deer may have left some genes in the herd.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: washington county - 08/02/11 02:52 PM

Washington County is not a big producer of nice deer. For the most part they're small bodied and small antlered in that area, though I'm sure a couple of decent animals can be found.

Re: washington county - 08/02/11 03:32 PM

these are the best deer i have on camera from my place in washington county

Re: washington county - 08/02/11 03:34 PM

Nice buck Daniel
Just gotta get past your road huntin neighbor.

Re: washington county - 08/02/11 03:43 PM

if i catch that sob on my place again we gonna see how fast he can run.

i also looked online at the buccanear deer contest that is held in brenham each year and noticed the name dallmeyer had placed in the contest for the past 2-3 years. makes me kind of suspicious if he is doing more then just cutting my pasture

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: washington county - 08/02/11 03:48 PM

bucks look to be pretty par for the course, the top buck is definately mature

Re: washington county - 08/02/11 03:58 PM

thank you
And from what I have heard and experienced those are very good bucks for the area lets just hope they hung around for this season

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: washington county - 08/02/11 04:25 PM

Nothing wrong with those bucks, really nice bucks there Daniel and Fayette Co. is next door, both counties do produce some good 140-150 class bucks given enough time to mature and gain some age/mass.

Re: washington county - 08/02/11 04:37 PM

thanks Kyotee1

my problem is i have a neighbor that lives up there full time and shoots anything that walks out

Re: washington county - 08/03/11 03:01 AM

I wasn't putting it down, by the way. I drive through Brenham on the way to my place and the deer are pretty similar. Tons of little fellows, every now and then a bruiser surprises everyone.

Re: washington county - 08/03/11 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: daniel25s
why would the school district own land out there?

Daniel
I have a map of Tom Green county and looks like Washington county has approx 11,000+ acres.

Re: washington county - 08/03/11 03:36 PM

dannngg who do we get in touch with to hunt it hahahha

Posted By: redchevy

Re: washington county - 08/03/11 06:38 PM

While I was in school at A&M we hunted a little up there, mostly in brazos and grimes county. We were only able to get a couple does and spikes, but we did see several very nice bucks on trail cam including a couple non-typicals, biggest would have probably gone mid 150's or a littel better, of course this was in an isolated area that recieved little if any hunting pressure, the deer were obviously mature and old.

Big deer can be lots of places, they just need age and nutrition to display it.

matt

Re: washington county - 08/03/11 06:40 PM

true

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: washington county - 08/03/11 07:14 PM

Slightly off topic....but a good friend of mine is from Brenham and he said he knows the owner of "Country Boy Sausage"....and that he supposedly owns 1,000 acres (low fence) which borders Lake Sommerville State Park. He says he feeds protein out the WHAZOOO....and he showed me a picture last year of a buck they shot that scored 186". Narrow rack with lots of mass and trash. HUGE deer for that area.

Re: washington county - 08/03/11 07:19 PM

tell him to send them my way haha

i only have 100 acres so its hard to keep deer on my place

boy is that country boy sausage good though

Re: washington county - 08/04/11 01:34 PM

There are some very nice deer around Somerville and way, way too many of them.

Re: washington county - 08/04/11 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
There are some very nice deer around Somerville and way, way too many of them.

X100

I volunterred for some of the challenged hunts the Corps put on several years ago, even though the idea was great, they didnt extend it past a one day hunt, if there was bad weather,oh well maybe next year. There are so many deer in and around Lake Somerville its pathetic. Years ago a local group went to Travis county and hired a trapper and netted some deer for transfer to the Washington and Burleson counties around the lake. This was a effort to replenish the deer population after the oil boom in the late 70's and early 80's. It was a great success,now we need to cull the herd and harvest some doe,I'm not a wildlife bioligist but harvesting 50 doe around the lake wouldnt hurt a thing. 2cents

Re: washington county - 08/04/11 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Rockinmyshoe
X100

Years ago a local group went to Travis county and hired a trapper and netted some deer for transfer to the Washington and Burleson counties around the lake. This was a effort to replenish the deer population after the oil boom in the late 70's and early 80's.

It's funny you mention this - my neighbor moved to his place in Burleson County in the 70s and told me there was literally not a single deer. I did a little research and found that the oil rig guys were sniping them and drove whitetails to the brink of extinction. We have a decent population at my place now, but nothing like around the Lake, which is about 20 miles away.

Old man was confused as to how they just reappeared. I'll have to share your insight.

Re: washington county - 08/04/11 02:00 PM

And I think the number would be close to 200 (does) to make a dent.

Re: washington county - 08/04/11 02:04 PM

Yes Sir
I'm glad someone else brought that up,that is exactly what happened,one rig location on 1948 on the Burton side of the lake they drained the water out of one of the tanks that the drilling rig used and found 30+ deer carcass's in the ussual poacher way, heads and backstrap and hams removed. Talk about a hush-hush coverup. Nobody wanted to pizz off the oil people,to much money flowin back then. and again your number of 200 is probabley more realistic.

Re: washington county - 08/04/11 04:03 PM

that is intersting

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum