Texas Hunting Forum

What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ?

Posted By: TxYoteHunter

What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 01:31 AM

Planning a Black bear trip to Whittier, Alaska in September. What caliber would you take? I have a Remington 700 .270 with a Zeiss scope. Would that be enough to do it? Shots should not be over 150 yards probably.

Posted By: 30378

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 01:40 AM

Your 270 will do just fine. Black Bear are not that hard to kill.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 01:42 AM

If it is a guided hunt ask the Outfitter what he thinks.

Posted By: BMD

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 01:47 AM

The .270 will do just fine up unless your looking for excuse to buy another rifle grin

Posted By: NDN98

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: BMD
The .270 will do just fine up unless your looking for excuse to buy another rifle grin

+1 rifle

Posted By: JakeinTX

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: NDN98
Originally Posted By: BMD

+1 rifle

x2

Posted By: dawaba

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 03:47 AM

Although the .270 will work just fine, all of us yearn for a dedicated Alaska rifle. So.....time to re-arm!

It will have to handle the dreadful rainy weather common way up north, and it should cover the full spectrum from Sitka blacktails to brown bears.

I would cobble up a .338 Win Mag in a stainless bolt gun with a synthetic stock. Affix a low-power variable scope like a Leupy 2x7 or Conquest 2.5x8, and you're ready to make several trips to our 49th state.

Believe me, I know......Alaska gets addictive. I've been there 13 times already, and I'm going back to the Peninsula for brown bear in October and again for black bear to POW Island next May.

Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 04:44 AM

X2 on the .338. I would also think of a sidearm at least .44mag.

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 11:51 AM

I've heard the .338 has a little more kick than I might want and I wouldn't really be using anything that large anytime except in Alaska. Have considered a .300 Win Mag though. As for a side arm, I am planning on taking my .357 just in case. I'm hoping if this trip turns out good to return next year maybe. This is my first time to get to go there.

Posted By: TxBuck

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 02:52 PM

the .270 is fine. I killed my black bear in Canada with a .270 it rolled him when I shot him in the shoulder!Spend more time learning how to judge and size bears and you'll do fine! Good Luck

Posted By: Texpppr

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 02:58 PM

.270 is fine for Black Bear.

Posted By: Kimber1911

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 03:34 PM

22-250

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 07:18 PM

Sounds like the .270 is a winner then up. I just need to get a couple of good boxes of ammo and see what I can find. Thanks folks, I appreciate the input.

Posted By: devildog28

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 07:30 PM

PM vanguard, he knows the perfect caliber.

Posted By: billybob

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 11:13 PM

Watch out for the griz...there's a few of them around Whittier. In my opinion a .270 is light. Most Alaskans when in bear country will carry 338 on up.

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 05/31/11 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: billybob
Watch out for the griz...there's a few of them around Whittier. In my opinion a .270 is light. Most Alaskans when in bear country will carry 338 on up.

I've considered that a little. It's not only what I'm hunting for out there but what all else is out there while I'm hunting. If I ran into a BIG bear out there it could get a little more serious real quick.

Posted By: Ray338

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/01/11 12:03 AM

I use a .338. My wife uses a 30-06 but your .270 is fine. Whittier is a neat place. Real small though. Take good rain gear. If your gun is blue don't forget the gun oil or get it dipped smile I would't bother with the sidearm. More weight when your climbing up the side of the mountain and something else to keep clean. You will have your .270 in your hand. No need to drop it to grab a pistol. You will see lot's of beautiful country from the boat!!!!

Ray

Posted By: devildog28

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/01/11 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: TxYoteHunter
I've heard the .338 has a little more kick than I might want and I wouldn't really be using anything that large anytime except in Alaska. Have considered a .300 Win Mag though. As for a side arm, I am planning on taking my .357 just in case. I'm hoping if this trip turns out good to return next year maybe. This is my first time to get to go there.

.338 Federal is just a necked up .308 case. You're probably thinking about the .338 Win Mag having a lot of recoil.

Posted By: Matagorda Mud Pig

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/01/11 07:22 PM

The rifles get bigger the closer you get to anchorage...

Posted By: ghollow

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/01/11 07:50 PM

Get a .338 Win Mag with a muzzle brake. vIt will not kick any harder than a 30-06. I have never heard of anyone complaining that the gun was too big.

Have fun. Whittier is an interesting place.

Posted By: Patron

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/01/11 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Robert Stuart
22-250

rofl

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/01/11 09:24 PM

Thanks for the info Ray338, I definitely don't want to carry more than I need to. I can't wait to get there and see the country side and take tons of photos. Looking forward to the scenery as much as the hunt I think. I'll take the gun oil for sure. Don't know how the salt water spray will be on the rifle or the wood stock either.

Posted By: Texpppr

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/02/11 12:07 PM

Seems like most of the Alaska folks use Stainless steel/ synthetic stocked rifles because of the moisture up there.

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/02/11 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Texpppr
Seems like most of the Alaska folks use Stainless steel/ synthetic stocked rifles because of the moisture up there.

You just might be forcing me to have to go and buy a brand new rifle and scope just for this hunt. Come on, twist my arm. I was looking at the Remington 700 SPS Camo last night. rifle I think my safe needs one of these in it. Now to figure out which scope to top it with. nidea

Posted By: Bob in TX

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/02/11 12:45 PM

Finally Wayne! You recognized that you "need" a new rifle!!

Will the .270 work? You bet!

......but you "need" a new bear rifle!!

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/02/11 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: TxYoteHunter
Originally Posted By: Texpppr

You just might be forcing me to have to go and buy a brand new rifle and scope just for this hunt. Come on, twist my arm. I was looking at the Remington 700 SPS Camo last night. rifle I think my safe needs one of these in it. Now to figure out which scope to top it with. nidea

Who knows you might want to shoot something else bigger than that when you do get there or get to back again.

Posted By: DeerSlayer31

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/02/11 04:14 PM

I think a 22 Hornet loaded with +++++++P loads will work the best, only my 2cents

Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/02/11 11:05 PM

I have taken a good size black bear in Alaska with a handgun, a Freedom Arms .454 Casull to be specific. A 270 with proper bullet will do a fine job, however, the best all around Alaskan rifle in my opinion would be a stainless steel Model 70 in 338 Win Mag.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/03/11 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Lone Ranger
I have taken a good size black bear in Alaska with a handgun, a Freedom Arms .454 Casull to be specific. A 270 with proper bullet will do a fine job, however, the best all around Alaskan rifle in my opinion would be a stainless steel Model 70 in 338 Win Mag.

340 or 338 would be my first choice with a minimum of 300. I like having too much gun!

Posted By: 007hunter

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/03/11 04:17 PM

Personally, if it were black bear in Alaska...I'm goin' with 50 Cal BMG...that way I can stay a good thousand yards away and put a hole in it the size of a watermelon. Thats just me...

Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/03/11 07:51 PM

Remington 700p in 20" .300 RSAUM with some nice Zeiss 2.5-10x40mm glass and a side arm.

Nevermind, looks like a nice gun but I can't find any ammo for it. go .22 hornet roflmao

Re: What caliber for Black Bear in Alaska ? - 06/22/11 03:16 AM

Well, yesterday Bass Pro Shop put the rifle on sale that I had been looking at. I was like a kid with candy money burning a hole in my pocket. Went last night and bought a Remington 700 XCR 30.06. Synthetic stock, stainless barrel with trinyte coating. Topped it with a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 with Leupold base and rings. I think this set up will work just fine with some good Swift A Frame or Barnes VOR-TX 180 grain ammo. I appreciate all the responses from all of you.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum