Texas Hunting Forum

How do you make a homemade coyote snare

Posted By: Sabine Bottom Boy

How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 03:35 AM

How do you make a homemade coyote snare can someone show me how to make and tie one or give me some tips.

Posted By: preston629

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 03:41 AM

http://www.boarmasters.com/making_hog_snares.html

These might work?

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 03:48 AM

Well my buddy has goats and coyotes or dogs killed 5 last night we can see where they got in is there a fast way to make a homemade snare out of wire, along time ago a old man and old hunter should I say built one for me and there was just a wire but there was a way he tied it to make it slide and I tryed it today and couldnt make it work.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 03:54 AM

Here is a site with and they are great people. www.rpoutdoors.com

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 03:57 AM

Thanks guys this guy is really wanting to end this problem and I know it will take 4 to 5 days to get supplys from the internet but he might not have that many days before his stock is gone.

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Sabine Bottom Boy
Thanks guys this guy is really wanting to end this problem and I know it will take 4 to 5 days to get supplys from the internet but he might not have that many days before his stock is gone.

Check at some of the local feed stores many of them sell coyote/hog snares. Ask around.

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 04:01 AM

None around here it is a very small town not many people snare here.

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 04:03 AM

Check with someone you know that has a HF ranch most of them snare coyotes from time to time. I have the tools to make snares just not the supplies since I do not need them any more.

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 04:06 AM

Here where im at there are no HF ranches

Posted By: BenBob

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 04:32 AM

Be careful or you will snare your goats.

Posted By: don k

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 01:16 PM

If they killed 5 in 1 day it was probably dogs. Easy way to know for sure is to skin out the neck right below the head. If it has tooth marks it was a coyote. Start checking out the perimeter of the fence line and look for holes under it where they get through.They only time I have had any goats get caught is if the snare gets pushed out from under the fence and is laying on the ground next to the fence and a goat or deer gets their foot in it.

Posted By: Elkman

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 01:52 PM

Wileys gun shop in canton has them. going over there today to get some.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 01:55 PM

I've made them before with wire I bought in the fishing section at Academy. The trick is to get some that is both flexible, but also has "memory" so it won't open back up if they go in the opposite direction.

I know that's probably not much help, but I've had some success.

On a scary note, apparently an extremely large hog got into one of mine that I set. The tree it was anchored to was completely shredded and the wire (250 lb) was completely blown up.

Posted By: my2071111

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 03:33 PM

Get a Great Pyrenees, and never have that problem again.

Posted By: Tye

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Check with someone you know that has a HF ranch most of them snare coyotes from time to time. I have the tools to make snares just not the supplies since I do not need them any more.

How do you have a place with no coyotes? I just spent $130 on supplies. It will be enough material to make 100 snares. Hopefully it will get here in a few days. I'm ready to kill some more yotes. I ordered my stuff from http://www.minntrapprod.com/

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 07:26 PM

We just tell them to stay away and they have. peep

Posted By: TXW

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 08:48 PM

We just tell them to stay away and they have. peep

rofl

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/07/11 10:15 PM

Thanks I will check with Wileys that is close to me thanks guys, well we found two holes one going in and they dug another hole to get out, I found some tracks in the snow and it looked like dog tracks to me. Thanks for you help.

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/08/11 04:33 AM

Snares are not the solution. You need a Donkey or a Pyrenees with the goats 24/7.

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/08/11 01:31 PM

We had a donkey with sheep.Turned out he was the problem. When the ewes started lambing the donkey would stomp on the lambs and kill them.

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/08/11 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
We had a donkey with sheep.Turned out he was the problem. When the ewes started lambing the donkey would stomp on the lambs and kill them.

From what I have learned about donkies as guard animals is that you have to put a female only with the herd when she is young to bond with them and run with the herd. If you put a pair in with the herd they will stay alone and not with the herd. Also heard that if you take the female out and have her bred and put her back in she will be even more protective. Not sure but what I have heard.

Posted By: Hunter30

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/08/11 03:37 PM

Just saw snares for sale on Dallas craigslist for $10 each

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/09/11 12:26 AM

From what I have learned about donkies as guard animals is that you have to put a female only with the herd when she is young to bond with them and run with the herd. If you put a pair in with the herd they will stay alone and not with the herd. Also heard that if you take the female out and have her bred and put her back in she will be even more protective. Not sure but what I have heard.
This one supposidly was raised with sheep. She ran with them, but when they started lambing I guess she thought they were a danger. Got a llama after that and it seemed to work. I don;t care what anyone says, the best prevention is to get them before they get in.

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/09/11 01:18 AM

This one supposidly was raised with sheep. She ran with them, but when they started lambing I guess she thought they were a danger. Got a llama after that and it seemed to work. I don;t care what anyone says, the best prevention is to get them before they get in.

I don;t care what anyone says, the best prevention is to get them before they get in.

True, but can never get them all. And later on it starts all over again.

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/09/11 02:04 AM

Well this guy has about 7 acres and two donkeys so I dont know what to do.

Posted By: dogo

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/09/11 02:43 AM

I have a donkey in each pasture and lost a calf fri to yotes. That donkey was a male. I have a bred female donkey in with 80+ boer goats on 6 ac fenced enclosure and haven't had a problem ...yet. She is a dog haten' machine....damn near stomped my bulldog to death last year. Can't give away jacks but jennies hold their value...

Posted By: lkendrick

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/09/11 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: dogo
I have a donkey in each pasture and lost a calf fri to yotes. That donkey was a male. I have a bred female donkey in with 80+ boer goats on 6 ac fenced enclosure and haven't had a problem ...yet. She is a dog haten' machine....damn near stomped my bulldog to death last year. Can't give away jacks but jennies hold their value...

80+ head on 6 acres?

Posted By: HLo

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/09/11 04:00 AM

Mummies in San Antonio sells them for about $2 each. Only problem is you will catch just about everything (badgers, javelina, coons, etc.)....That was the part I didn't like.

Posted By: dogo

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/10/11 04:14 PM

Yes 80+ bred nannies in a 6 acre winter pen (completely enclosed with goat fence). They have round bales, protien tubs, water and covered shelters. They are turned out daily in Apr after kidding to free roam & browse 100+ acres.

Posted By: Birdog62

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/10/11 07:08 PM

cowboy Redneck remedy. 1 lb. of ground round and a quart to half gallon of old (or new) anti-freeze. bait outside of goat pen.

stir

Posted By: DCS

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/10/11 11:58 PM

If none of the above work, try these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnj8mc04r9E&feature=related

Posted By: Stephen C.

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/11/11 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Sabine Bottom Boy
Well this guy has about 7 acres and two donkeys so I dont know what to do.

there's the problem, he only has .29 donkeys per acre...

Re: How do you make a homemade coyote snare - 02/11/11 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Birdog62
cowboy Redneck remedy. 1 lb. of ground round and a quart to half gallon of old (or new) anti-freeze. bait outside of goat pen.

stir

Works on cats. I might be a redneck.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum