Texas Hunting Forum

Jim Shocky GObi Ibex

Posted By: cazador1022

Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 04:28 AM

You would think a profesional hunter like him would be able to make a gimmie shot at 150 yds.......but NOT. He shot this animal in the hind quaters ...then he proceeds to make excuses. Instead of just admitting, hey i screwed up its hunting this happens...no he says oh the angle or I wasnt comfortable. TOOL. NOT EVEN BLACK POWDER !!! IT was a centerfire. 300 win mag

Posted By: Arrow_Splitter10

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 04:31 AM

Not a fan of jim shockey at all give hunters a bad look and always talks about how his hunt might be his last and how hard his life is blah blah blah!

Posted By: CTK3

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By: cazador1022
You would think a profesional hunter like him would be able to make a gimmie shot at 150 yds.......but NOT. He shot this animal in the hind quaters ...then he proceeds to make excuses. Instead of just admitting, hey i screwed up its hunting this happens...no he says oh the angle or I wasnt comfortable. TOOL. NOT EVEN BLACK POWDER !!! IT was a centerfire. 300 win mag

He needs to be perfect, like you?

He did admit he screwed up, by saying it was a bad angle and he wasnt comfortable. It happens.

I swear, there are more know it all snipers and expert marksmen than anything on this forum. Bad shots happen, I've made them before. If you say you have not then you are new to hunting, or full of flush

Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 04:42 AM

+1 Shockey is the real deal. Definitely not one of the dumbasses on tv giving hunters a bad name, and there are quite a few.

Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 04:48 AM

This is going to get interesting banana

Posted By: don k

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 05:10 AM

Originally Posted By: mulie_mike
This is going to get interesting banana
+2

Posted By: JustinB

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 05:38 AM

i'm a jim shockey fan. look at his hunts compared to the rest of them. they are not even in the same ballpark as his. he goes on harder hunts in extremely remote locations.

it's either that or you can watch another dude shoot another 150" whitetail in iowa. we've all seen that 1,000 times.

how do you figure he gives hunters a bad name?

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 05:59 AM

Just watched the show, it was 180 yds and shot it mid body. The ibex took a step at the shot which would explain why the shot was a little further back than expected. He didnt shoot it in the hindquarters. He was also shooting at a pretty extreme angle.

Posted By: Texsun

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 07:55 AM

Jim is well respected among the elite in the hunting world. I'd like to think most of those people know what they're talking about.

Posted By: zac02

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 08:28 AM

I hope Im as good a hunter as him one day! honest truth

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 12:00 PM

Jim is one of the few guys I can really listen to. He never was in the right place at the right time, like Waddel or Lee and Tiffany. He did work extremely hard to get where he is. Consider the number of record trophys the man has from all over the world with a muzzleloader, he has a drive 90% of people will never have. More Power to him.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
Jim is one of the few guys I can really listen to. He never was in the right place at the right time, like Waddel or Lee and Tiffany. He did work extremely hard to get where he is. Consider the number of record trophys the man has from all over the world with a muzzleloader, he has a drive 90% of people will never have. More Power to him.

up

Posted By: Hoytman

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 12:40 PM

I like shockey. He seems like the kind of hunter id like to hunt with. Most of those shows the host are invited to kill a deer thats been scouted and stands in place a month before they get there.

Posted By: 338ultra

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 01:06 PM

I would like to hunt moose with Shockey someday. Just got to pony up the dough to do it.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: 338ultra
I would like to hunt moose with Shockey someday. Just got to pony up the dough to do it.

Same here, I want to do one of the river float hunts in the Yukon.

Now to win the lottery so I can afford a hunt like that

Posted By: mark mcalister

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 04:08 PM

Extreme angle shots can be difficult for anyone novice and experienced alike. I would be inclined to say that anyone who hunts over 200 days a year as I makes a bad shot from time to time. I appreciate the fact that the film wasnt edited as so many other staged TV hunt shows. I am just glad he is out promoting the great sport of hunting.
------------------------------------------------------------
www.SiskiyouTrophyBlackTailHunts.com

Posted By: mark mcalister

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 04:20 PM

Moose hunting is something everyone needs to do. The costs for a fully guided hunt can be expensive but you may consider using a transporter service for a true DIY hunt in Alaska. I have spent over 20 years in Alaska working as an asst. guide, personal hunting, and just kncoking around and I can tell you one thing there are many opportunities for harvesting nice bulls. A good transporter is
http://www.alaskablackbearstalkers.com/Hunt-Options.html
, he also can put you on monster Island Black Bears, no joke. -------------------------------------------------------

www.SiskiyouTrophyBlackTailHunts.com

Posted By: DSP56

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 05:40 PM

I like Shocky. His dad and father in law crack me up. They all seem like good guys to me.

Posted By: nmhybridhunter

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: DSP56
I like Shocky. His dad and father in law crack me up. They all seem like good guys to me.

x2

Posted By: jdickey

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 08:58 PM

Jim Shockey brings a pride to his work and respect. How many other TV show hosts can you say that about? We watched a red stag hunt he did in Scotland, when Jim was told that his guide had to carry his weapon, you could see the disbelief in the expression on his face! He accepted that tradition, and completed his hunt, successfully and as the gentleman he is!

Posted By: cable

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/25/11 09:02 PM

Shockey is a huge advocate for hunters and hunters rights. Gimmie a break. He is as professional as they come. And he is also a really nice guy. I would be honored to share a campfire with him.

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/26/11 04:43 PM

Ever read his BIO?

Amazing

Posted By: dawaba

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/26/11 05:04 PM

Shockey spoke at the Dallas Safari Club's Life Member Breakfast. He also spent the entire weekend working the DSC exhibit hall. He had time for everyone and was a patient listener. Oh, that many of us on the THF had Shockey's character! He's the real deal.

FWIW, let me tell you about my personal Sheep Grand Slam. I took my Dall, my Stone, and my Desert ram with one shot each. Now, my Rocky Mnt ram, well, that took 10 shots, six of which hit the animal. It took nearly 2 hours of chasing and climbing and shooting at 10,200 ft altitude to finally harvest him. In over 45 years of hunting, it remains as my own worst FUBAR, and I'm not one bit proud of it.

So, let he who is without sin cast the first stone!

Posted By: Texas Cazador

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/26/11 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: CTK3
[quote=cazador1022]You would think a profesional hunter like him would be able to make a gimmie shot at 150 yds.......but NOT. He shot this animal in the hind quaters ...then he proceeds to make excuses. Instead of just admitting, hey i screwed up its hunting this happens...no he says oh the angle or I wasnt comfortable. TOOL. NOT EVEN BLACK POWDER !!! IT was a centerfire. 300 win mag

He needs to be perfect, like you?

He did admit he screwed up, by saying it was a bad angle and he wasnt comfortable. It happens.

I swear, there are more know it all snipers and expert marksmen than anything on this forum. Bad shots happen, I've made them before. If you say you have not then you are new to hunting, or full of flush x 1000 up up up

Posted By: Rebel.

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/26/11 08:35 PM

Shockey is the man. He is extremely professional, and is great advocate for hunting.

Posted By: BChambers

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/30/11 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: jdickey
Jim Shockey brings a pride to his work and respect. How many other TV show hosts can you say that about? We watched a red stag hunt he did in Scotland, when Jim was told that his guide had to carry his weapon, you could see the disbelief in the expression on his face! He accepted that tradition, and completed his hunt, successfully and as the gentleman he is!

X10 cheers Jim also is one of the few TV hunters who really seems to take the time to appreciate the entire experience of nature, and never hesitates to point out some unusual bird, bug or reptile. And I'm definitely saving up for a hunt at his place in Saskatchewan for those huge whitetail!

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/31/11 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: CTK3

I swear, there are more know it all snipers and expert marksmen than anything on this forum. Bad shots happen, I've made them before. If you say you have not then you are new to hunting, or full of flush

X2.

jim shockey is the the man!

someone else, however....is not

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/31/11 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
It took nearly 2 hours of chasing and climbing and shooting at 10,200 ft altitude to finally harvest him. In over 45 years of hunting, it remains as my own worst FUBAR, and I'm not one bit proud of it.

So, let he who is without sin cast the first stone!

I would like to hear about your grandslam! that is a dream of mine, not neccesarily the stone sheep but the dall, the bighorn and the desert bighorn.

friend of mine's dad kill a 380 in elk in colorado....shot at it 11 times hit it 9 times.....at 350 yards with a .300 wby. sometimes animals refuse to die.

if it were my hunt i would have been out of luck because i rarely carry more ammo than whats in my gun

Posted By: Knightdiscshooter

Re: Jim Shocky GObi Ibex - 01/31/11 08:06 AM

It amazes me on how we all remember the bad shots and how quickly the good or the great shots are forgotten.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum