Texas Hunting Forum

So who really hates hogs?

Posted By: themadcow

So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 06:47 AM

Just curious who really hates hogs.

I understand why you could hate them from a landowner's point of view.

But I tend to look at them as something fun to shoot. I have one 120lb boar pig in the freezer that was made into breakfast sausage, another 80lb sow that was made into jalepeno and cheese hot links. It's all good stuff, no doubt.

I usually shoot at everyone I see. Some I leave laying, some I use for meat. I know it is a pain to see them demolishing corn at a feeder meant for deer, but a fence can usually fix that problem.

To be honest I think I'd really miss them if they were to all dissapear. The fact of the matter is that they are not going anywhere, so we may as well enjoy them now that we have them. You can't overhunt them to the point that they will be gone forever,.....

So anyone else, just kinda glad that they are here?

Posted By: mtbikernate

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 06:56 AM

I hate them. There are suspicions that hogs are one of the reasons the eastern turkeys are taking so long to get reestablished in TX. Hogs have a tendency to destroy the nests of ground-nesting birds in general. It's likely that they'll eat the eggs when they find them.

They're really no good for landowners OR for our native wildlife.

So yeah, shoot 'em up, I say. They've been there too long and there really isn't any sort of widespread eradication program that's going to get rid of them...especially when there are folks out there who purposely release more hogs to hunt. Might as well get some meat out of them.

Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 01:22 PM

I don't necessarily hate them but I don't have any thing good to say about them either.

Posted By: pnh

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 01:45 PM

As a person who makes a living as a rancher, I detest hogs! The only good hog is a dead hog! They serve no useful purpose IMO. No, there is no way in which I'm just glad they're here! Yeah, I'd miss em alright, like a hemorrhoid!

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 02:06 PM

I hate 'em with a passion. My attitude...Shoot 'em all, let God sort 'em out.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 02:36 PM

I'de be happy if I never saw signs of another feral hog. up

Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 03:24 PM

I'm sure of it, I hate em'. They destroy everything from fields to fences to deer hunting. rifle

Posted By: Bobby B

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 03:34 PM

Its not nice to hate.

I like hogs. I like shooting them with my rifle, pistol and my bows.

I like to take my dogs to run and catch 'em and I like knifing 'em, or watching some else knife 'em and I take pics,

I also like to eat 'em.

I like selling a good boar skull on Ebay and picking up some fast change. ( $50 for the last I sold )

Y'all go ahead and hate, me, I like having them around

Posted By: ddmm

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 03:53 PM

Pigs and Cedar trees are the same....you can't kill enough of them!

Posted By: Sabine Bottom Boy

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 04:00 PM

I love shooting them LOL busted two boars last night with the old 7 mag and some nightvision.

Posted By: Canazes9

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 04:03 PM

I hate them - yes, I enjoy shooting them (much like shooting rats at that dump), but would gladly give that up to be rid of them. Hogs = Rats = Roaches, kill 'em all.

David

Posted By: Mr. 2 Million

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 04:06 PM

love hate relationship , hate the damage , love the hunt , I would miss em they are something to do while filling feeders in the offseason , if you keep em in check they can be managed .

Posted By: billy gordon

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 04:23 PM

I can see why land owners hate them but their are plenty of help to get them in check other than whineing about them and doing nothing.I like hunting them as much as deer and taste just as good if you know how to clean and cook them proper.

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 04:29 PM

I think if TPW would get out of the way landowners could find a way to keep them in check.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ddmm
Pigs and Cedar trees are the same....you can't kill enough of them!

X2 and throw in the fire ant for the trifecta. I do ever care to see another hog except in a pen on a farm.

Posted By: preston629

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby B

Y'all go ahead and hate, me, I like having them around

x2 fun hunting and good eating

Posted By: Sabine Bottom Boy

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/16/11 05:22 PM

preston629 I own land but love to shoot them busted two big boars last night with my Gen 3 nightvision. LOL so if they hate ya they will have to hate me too.

Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 06:57 AM

Working in a Gun shop, I hear alot of Hatrid form landowners for Feral Hogs. The thing that makes me laugh the hardest is when I offer to come and shoot/trap them they want to charge 100.00+ a day to hunt/trap. So they must not hate them to much

I would understand if they had bad experiance with hunters in the past and only wanted people they knew, but to make a profit off a problem is funny.

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 02:25 PM

I will be depressed if the hogs disappeared

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 02:27 PM

you could get by shooting rats with a gamo inside feed barns grin

Posted By: A.B.

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 02:29 PM

Hate is not a strong enough word! mad

Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 02:42 PM

Something to do in the off season, couldn't that be accomplished with Axis or Fallow Deer? I see the damage,which is bad, but I also do not like that deer do not seem to enjoy pigs company?

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
you could get by shooting rats with a gamo inside feed barns grin

That sounds boring im no deer hunter so the pigs can keep on coming just as long as they leave the pastures alone!

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 03:18 PM

hehe, I'm sure they'll get the memo to not root up pastures. rofl

Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 03:53 PM

I don't hate them.... any more than grasshoppers or fire ants. Just another nuisance critter to spend a small fortune failing to control. Granted, they are a bit more fun to control than grasshoppers, and grasshoppers are horrible table fare, unless they're fried and dipped in chocolate.

Posted By: BMD

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 03:58 PM

I hate em !!!!!

Posted By: Thermal Dog

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 04:24 PM

I love them! They extend my hunting year round! I hate that they scare my deer away but then again there are trade offs. Hunting year round with friends and family is an excellent trade off. Besides like someone said you can place a fence around the feeders for the deer.

While I feel for farmers I bought my land specifically for hunting and I love my little free ranging porkers! smile

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
hehe, I'm sure they'll get the memo to not root up pastures. rofl

LOL they got it alright they havent caused any damage yet this yr I think theyre to scared to come out in the open smile

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 04:45 PM

that's not how things are going for us this year. With the slow & steady rain they just got, I'm sure it's going to look awful next weekend when I make the trip in. Hogs are gonna die.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 05:23 PM

I guess I will have to go with the love hate, I hate that they are destructive to crops and tear up a pasture, but they are fun to hunt and good eatin. Dad shot two nice sows yesterday evening, got some good sausage meat and 4 racks of ribs for the pit food

We have 1200 acres of irrigated rowcrop next to our place, switches between sweet potatoes and water mellon and something else, he fenced the fields... problem solved for around 3 years and counting.

If they were gone I would be ok with it, but im not going to spend thousands on it. If we can irradicate screwworm we can get rid of hogs and fire ants too, someone just has to cough up the dollars for it.

matt

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: pnh
As a person who makes a living as a rancher, I detest hogs! The only good hog is a dead hog! They serve no useful purpose IMO. No, there is no way in which I'm just glad they're here! Yeah, I'd miss em alright, like a hemorrhoid!

There's a lot of good people on here that'll be glad to come hunt them.

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 05:47 PM

Myself I think they're GREAT! I'm not a land owner and our lease has no crops so they do very little damage.

I love to hunt so now I have something to hunt year round and they're a lot better eating than deer.

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 05:53 PM

the problem is the costs to a solution would get passed down to consumers to cover vaccinations and testing for diseases (used to kill feral hogs)in slaughter hogs.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 05:59 PM

I dont buy much meat smile so they will pass it on to someone else!

Posted By: Tx_Phantom

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 06:05 PM

I like killing pigs more than killing deer or anything else.

The dramatic way in which they die (trying to run while laying on their side and/or squealing) to me puts a huge grin on my face every time.

Posted By: Wader

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 06:15 PM

I love hunting hogs, but I am sure I would love hunting something else if they were all gone.

-ww

Posted By: Hoytman

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 06:48 PM

Liked hunting em when they first showed up at my place but then they start driving deer out then rooting up my front yard and ive had enough! Kill em all!

Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 07:16 PM

I hate them with a passion but I sure do love shooting them. I get all worked up when one walks out. I am not nervous, I just want to make sure the bastage never takes another step! Usually a lead blister to the face works well for that.

Posted By: BYPATHofNIGHT

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 09:10 PM

I don't hate them at all. I enjoy hunting them, and love to eat them. (I understand if they were destroying my property, my opion would likely change somewhat).

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 11:48 PM

Your opinion would change somewhat dramatically! I do understand your side though.

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 11:52 PM

so pnh, you would be all for trapping feral hogs, injecting them with PCV2 and releasing them...and getting slaughter hogs vaccinated?

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/17/11 11:55 PM

I am open to any safe and viable option.

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 12:00 AM

sounds like a dang good plan to me if they can find a way to keep it from mutating into something else.

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 12:06 AM

I don't think the majority of people realize how destructive hogs are to property, not to mention other wildlife. We did send men to the moon!

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 01:03 AM

they are awful and can be costly....most folks don't see pine saplings as a crop, but when the mkt is favorable hogs cost you a pretty penny. Not to mention then rooting in hayfields and taking up a few bales while letting trash grow in a field...and also destroying grazing space.

Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Chief Q
I love them! They extend my hunting year round! I hate that they scare my deer away but then again there are trade offs. Hunting year round with friends and family is an excellent trade off. Besides like someone said you can place a fence around the feeders for the deer.

While I feel for farmers I bought my land specifically for hunting and I love my little free ranging porkers! smile

X2!

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 01:32 AM

They probably cost me more in a year's time than most of you pay for a deer lease. I'm just glad that ya'll like to shoot them!

Posted By: azcoyote

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 12:07 PM

I don't really "Hate" them, but I know the damage they can do and that they need to be killed. I am just glad that I get to do the killing!! This year when the deer weren't cooperating, at least the hogs were!!

And as I type this I am chomping on hog sausage stuffed jalapenos. food

Posted By: tattooedtexan

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 12:24 PM

I usually try to kill any that I see. I know they are bad for the deer herd, so I lean towards hating them.

Posted By: djones

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 12:48 PM

I am very fond of hogs. I collect them. They have such cute faaaaaces.

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 12:58 PM

Here is an idea for all the landowners that wish they could get rid of their hogs!

First of all don't ask the hunters to pay over $100 just to shoot one!

Require that the hunters have liability insurance to cover the property and your lifestock and yourself or any others who might step onto your property, and have them sign any waivers that frees you of any liabilty for their stupidity.

Nobody should have to pay the outrageous fees that landowners are asking to hunt them, when you are doing them a favor by helping to rid their land of a pest when in fact the land owner should pay a bounty to the hunter if he does a good job.

That's my opinion for the day!

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 03:57 PM

the problem you run into is those waivers aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 04:01 PM

You had better know pretty well the people you let hunt on your property nowadays.

Posted By: texaspride93

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: djones
I am very fond of hogs. I collect them. They have such cute faaaaaces.
hahahah!!

Posted By: texaspride93

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 05:39 PM

they aint goin no were!

Posted By: krhunt

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 05:42 PM

I really like to hunt hogs, but i know a lot of people who make their living farming or ranching. When the hogs tear up their hay fields and crop land, they end up tearing up their equipment trying to bale hay or harvest crops. Many have tried trapping or hunting them, but it usually turns out to be a short term solution. So as much as I like hunting hogs I feel bad for the guys who have to constantly deal with them tearing up their land.

Posted By: jskin

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 06:29 PM

Don't mind them too much! Then again I ain't a farmer! They never have cost me any money in damage plus they pass the time when deer hunting is slow. I like a mixed bag of game, just saying!

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 06:53 PM

+1

Nothing good about them. The ones are my lease are even terrible to eat. Even the young ones are tough as shoe leather. I try to let the big boars go but then "the only good hog is a dead one kicks in". Dropped a 200+ boar with my auto 22 LR this year. Lots of fun. Put one in his ear at 60 yards and then the 5th or 6th put him down about 30 yards from the stand.

Posted By: Gamer

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 07:12 PM

For those who think the rancher should pay the hunter to come out and rid the hogs for them is a little mistaken. I do agree that some of the prices are outrageous, especially considering most Texas hunters have had plenty of shots on hogs. Hunters in Colorado don't have that chance. On another note, if you visit our ranch and want to shoot hogs for $100 Jimbo it won't happen. They are plentiful and a problem, but the ranch costs a lot of money each year. Put it this way, you take the kids to Six Flags or take the family to a Rangers game you will spend $100 plus. We do appreciate the hog help, but there is a premium to pay for spending a great weekend on a beautiful ranch hunting for anything. I see your side, but you would feel the same way if the cost of a ranch was coming out of your pocket. I don't mean to be blunt, but it's my opinion.

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 07:16 PM

Law Offers Landowners Relief Against Hunting Liability

By: Texas Parks and Wildlife
Posted on: 07/25/03

Whether it's negotiating a deer or dove hunting lease or just getting access to a neighbor's ranch, the issue of liability can sometimes be an obstacle. But it doesn't have to be.

According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, those concerns may be based more in perception than reality. Current law actually provides some liability protection for landowners who lease land to others for recreational purposes, including hunting. However, a recent survey showed many Texas landowners are unaware of liability limits put in place by state lawmakers.

The law considers anyone whom a landowner gives permission to use his property for recreation, including fee-paying hunters, school children, mountain bikers or bird watchers, as a recreational guest. Under this definition, landowners are not required to issue warnings about dangerous conditions on their property, inspect their property or make repairs to dangerous conditions.

The law does not exempt landowners from all liability, but does provide a cap for any claim as long as the income derived from recreational use fees falls within a certain framework. A new amendment to the law, HB 408 passed by the 78th Texas Legislature, increases the allowable recreational use fee income from four times to 20 times the total ad valorem tax assessed on the premises during the previous year. Landowners are required to purchase liability insurance coverage equal to the caps and those premiums are often included in a lease fee.

Landowners can also use waivers, or legal documents signed by guests, intended to release the landowner from liability. Waivers must meet certain criteria to be valid; before using a waiver, landowners should consult with an attorney.

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamer
Law Offers Landowners Relief Against Hunting Liability

By: Texas Parks and Wildlife
Posted on: 07/25/03

Whether it's negotiating a deer or dove hunting lease or just getting access to a neighbor's ranch, the issue of liability can sometimes be an obstacle. But it doesn't have to be.

According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, those concerns may be based more in perception than reality. Current law actually provides some liability protection for landowners who lease land to others for recreational purposes, including hunting. However, a recent survey showed many Texas landowners are unaware of liability limits put in place by state lawmakers.

The law considers anyone whom a landowner gives permission to use his property for recreation, including fee-paying hunters, school children, mountain bikers or bird watchers, as a recreational guest. Under this definition, landowners are not required to issue warnings about dangerous conditions on their property, inspect their property or make repairs to dangerous conditions.

The law does not exempt landowners from all liability, but does provide a cap for any claim as long as the income derived from recreational use fees falls within a certain framework. A new amendment to the law, HB 408 passed by the 78th Texas Legislature, increases the allowable recreational use fee income from four times to 20 times the total ad valorem tax assessed on the premises during the previous year. Landowners are required to purchase liability insurance coverage equal to the caps and those premiums are often included in a lease fee.

Landowners can also use waivers, or legal documents signed by guests, intended to release the landowner from liability. Waivers must meet certain criteria to be valid; before using a waiver, landowners should consult with an attorney.

most important part of that.

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 07:32 PM

This is true, but it is better than it used to be when full liability was on the land owner, even if a poacher was hurt.

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 07:42 PM

depends on what all the circumstances are.. place I used to hunt on has gotten filed on by a road construction company after one of their dump trucks fell through a bridge into an oxbow lake. Rumor has it, it's not going to end up good for that land owner.

and been another case that paid out for some folks where a lease member was mowing along a train track and rolled a tractor over and it killed him.

and a cpl where folks have been taken off their 4wheelers by cable-style gates. One I know was a lease member on the place it happened on, another was some kid riding where he shouldn't have been.

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 09:21 PM

You have some great points and examples. We have the waiver, insurance, etc. so I hope that never happens to anyone anywhere. I just think some of that responsibility should fall on the neglegence of the guest or leasee.

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/18/11 09:24 PM

no doubt about that up

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/19/11 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamer
You have some great points and examples. We have the waiver, insurance, etc. so I hope that never happens to anyone anywhere. I just think some of that responsibility should fall on the neglegence of the guest or leasee.

You are absolutely correct but when lawyers jump in people tend to change their minds. There are a ton of cases where the injured person or there heirs decided not to sue until a lawyer talked them in to it.

Posted By: passthru

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/20/11 12:58 AM

I'll gladly pay to come shoot your problem hogs. I'll give you $25 each. How does that sound?

Posted By: janie

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/20/11 02:29 PM

Hate em. For everyone you shoot, another 50 seem to mass produce overnight.

If I could figure out a way to launch a grenade into a pasture full of em, I'd do it.

Posted By: SATX

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/20/11 04:43 PM

I view them as a tastey target that keeps my shooting skills honed throughout the year. I hog hunt probably 100 days a year and would be really unhappy if they were to just disappear.

But then I don't have croplands that are being devastated by them either.

Posted By: Letsgo

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/21/11 06:12 AM

As a ranch owner I have yet to see them as a big problem. It just gives me one more thing to hunt through out the year.

Posted By: huntwest

Re: So who really hates hogs? - 01/23/11 09:12 PM

I don't think the majority of people realize how destructive hogs are to property, not to mention other wildlife. We did send men to the moon!

Well said. I live outside of Albany and they tear up a lot more than crops. They will also kill fawns(I have seen this with my own eyes) they are always rooting so they destroy quail and turkey nest, one of the many reasons we have lost our quail population and our turkey numbers are low. they raid cattle feeders and liquid feeders, they muddy up or destroy water holes. In my opinion all of those far outweigh they are fun to shoot. I have got them under control finally on my land and if I see one on a camera or while feeding cattle it gets shot. Very rarely see any now even though they are everywhere around us.
I agree about the landowners complaining about them and wanting 100.00 to hunt. Doesn't make sense, I invited a lot of people out to hunt them when they were bad and it worked to get them under control. If they ever get out of control again I will invite more hunters out for free.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum