Texas Hunting Forum

Newbie alert!!!

Posted By: Brian Sheets

Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 04:19 PM

Hi,

I just moved to Texas (North Houston area) from Southern California, better known as the peoples republic of california. What a breath of fresh air it is here.

As a kid, I hunted a bit and fished a lot, and now that I'm in Texas I'd like to start up again.

So a few questions.

1. Guns Guns and more Guns. I'd like to buy 5 or 6 guns. A couple hand guns, revolver and a glock, an assault rifle like maybe a Bushmaster, a couple shotguns, one for home defense, well, rv defense, and one for hunting, and a couple hunting rifles, one small for white tail, and one large for Sasquatch. I will be working for Academy, so I get a discount. Would someone be able to make a list of recommendations?

2. Anyone willing to take a newbie and show him the ropes? I'm open for Hogs, Deer and Turkey, and cows if the pickens are slim and nobody is looking. walking

3. Since I'm a full time RVer, I have no place to store the dead animal flesh that I will want to burn over a grill and then consume. Are there public facilities for us cold challenged types?

4. Does anyone use ATV's for hunting?

I've been reading through the forum for the last few days, its a great forum, and I'm excited that there is lots of activity.

thanks for all the help.

b

Posted By: Mfloski

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 04:37 PM

Brian....welcome to TX. I moved here 15yrs ago from the people rebuplic of NY and haven't looked back! Nice thing about texas, all the guns you want, you can own with out jumping through a MILLION hoops to get. I can only offer some gun recomendations:
AR-15, I have two bushmasters and they are sweet! I like the M4 style, but it all depends on what you want it for. Not much on revolvers but I have a couple of the springfield XDs and they are very nice, I personally like them better than the glock. Shotguns, these depend hevily on what you want them for, but regardless, hard to beat the good ole Rem 870, it will never fail! clearly there are a lot of choices and styles and again, you need to figure out what you want to shoot with it, and what style you like (i.e. 20g vs 12g, over/under vs pump vs automatic). Currently I shoot a .270 for deer and think its a good choice, but again, ask ten people and get ten answers and thats before you even discuss brand!

Good luck and again, welcome to TX.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 04:39 PM

welcome

Posted By: bigbuck1

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 04:40 PM

Welcome to Texas. Most of the hunters I know use ATV's on our leases. I'm in North Texas so I could not show you the ropes.You can get a lot of good information on this site. Good luck.Brain

Posted By: jim1961

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 04:41 PM

welcome

Posted By: NDN98

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 04:52 PM

welcome to texas

Posted By: Seadog

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 05:18 PM

Congrats on your escape from the Peoples Republic of California and Welcome to the Great State of Texas!!!

Posted By: big-al

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 05:21 PM

welcome

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 05:44 PM

welcome to Texas and the forum.

Posted By: kyle1974

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 05:49 PM

welcome to Texas dude, you will like it here.

Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 06:51 PM

welcome

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 07:11 PM

Howdy! cowboy And welcome to the Lone Star State! texas However, you won't experience 'real' Texas til you get the heck out of Houston! lol

I mostly waterfowl, that wasn't on your list, but I do hunt deer on my property (out of sheer obligation to put meat in the freezer, but it bores me.) I am about 90 minutes out of Houston. I also work for Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, so be glad to help with questions you may have along that line, if I can (or at least point you in the right direction!)

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 07:34 PM

welcome

Posted By: ~JaKe~

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Brian Sheets

1. Guns Guns and more Guns. I'd like to buy 5 or 6 guns. A couple hand guns, revolver and a glock, an assault rifle like maybe a Bushmaster, a couple shotguns, one for home defense, well, rv defense, and one for hunting, and a couple hunting rifles, one small for white tail, and one large for Sasquatch. I will be working for Academy, so I get a discount. Would someone be able to make a list of recommendations?

b

welcome be careful about this one.. it gets addicting...lol

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 07:48 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the welcomes. I feel right at home. Unfortunately I cant move out of the Houston area, Magnolia, just quite yet.

I could do birds as well, although my lazy [censored] lab will need some work, he's snoring right now.

Anyway, keep the recommendations coming.

thanks

b

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 07:57 PM

Hey, you might want to hook up with Legacy Outfitters. The guy who runs the chapter there is a good buddy of mine - he lives in Magnolia. They're always setting up hunting/fishing/camping & other outings. Great group of guys. PM me if you want the guy's name and contact info!

Posted By: kindall

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 11:21 PM

welcome

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/25/10 11:33 PM

Houston is as Texas as it gets. The Dallas area is the shady part of Texas - sort of a mix between NY, Cali, and a gay bar.

Welcome (to your new) home.

Posted By: toolman

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/26/10 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
Houston is as Texas as it gets. The Dallas area is the shady part of Texas - sort of a mix between NY, Cali, and a gay bar.

Don't you mean Houston is as Mexico as it gets...laugh Oh yeah, welcome to Texas, Brian!

Posted By: TexasVine

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/26/10 02:16 AM

Welcome.

Posted By: Payne

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/26/10 02:36 AM

Welcome, I'd add a 22 to your gun list.

Posted By: jrpbullrider

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/26/10 03:35 AM

100 votes for a S&W mod 19-5 .357 mag with wood grips
great rev to have for home or field

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/26/10 01:13 PM

Oh, right, cant forget a .22.

So my first gun will be a Glock 17. I used to have one of these before, it was a great gun. Since I get a discount at Academy, purchase there with the discount or find one used?

Next gun will be the .270. Any recommendations as to which .270? What about a scope?

The rest will come over the next 6 months or so.

Posted By: deerslayer78

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/26/10 02:03 PM

Welcome to texas!!! We always need more Outdoorsmen Here!!! welcome and happy hunting!!! rifle deer/deer2/. cheers

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/26/10 02:53 PM

Just get yourself a nice Remington 700 at your store. Can't miss gun.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/26/10 03:11 PM

Welcome!

Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/26/10 03:52 PM

Welcome! get out of the city, find some barbecue joints and have a few shiners

Houston is as Texas as it gets.

huh? scratch

Posted By: Stray Cat

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/26/10 03:59 PM

welcome

Posted By: Flintlock

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/27/10 12:00 AM

welcome I also escaped from So Cal about 4 years ago. I do not miss it at all. You'll love it here!

Posted By: cbryan

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/27/10 08:01 AM

welcome

Posted By: Tx_Phantom

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/27/10 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Brian Sheets
1. Guns Guns and more Guns. I'd like to buy 5 or 6 guns.

Man, this guy must be some sorta swinger wanting this many girls in his harem... grin

Welcome! cheers

Posted By: my2071111

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/27/10 04:49 PM

welcome

Posted By: BYPATHofNIGHT

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/27/10 06:52 PM

Yep. What they said. Welcome.

Posted By: huntindude

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/28/10 12:56 AM

welcome to Texas. and becareful who you talk to about RV living and having a bunch of guns inside, eventhough it aint cali, we still have dirtbags that take things that dont belong to them.
I live in North Houston South of Conroe. Caught me at a bad time. i am leaving for West texas for a few years or otherwise Id take you up on your offer. Good luck. Happy huntin

Posted By: mideon2000

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 12/28/10 03:15 PM

get you a rifle, shotgun and a .22 and you have almost all game covered big and small. Make real life friends and get as many connections as you can get. Be nice and surely some of those connections will more than likely pay off in a free trip. If you have some spare coin then pay an outfitter and get some meat. Down here you pretty much get what you payed for. If you want a trophy you will have to open up your wallet wide. A meat hunt will be much cheaper. As for hogs, go on a meat hunt and pick off smaller, tastier hogs. The trophy ones get expensive and are not as tender. JMO's.

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 01/01/11 12:39 AM

I figured I'd just add on to this thread. I understand that gun stores wont sell handguns to me with a california drivers license. I just registered my truck here, will the registration to my truck suffice for a conceled permit and purchasing handguns?

I'm not ready to stand in line for 3 hours to change my license over, mostly because I'll have to take a day off from work.

Posted By: Real World Outdoors

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 01/02/11 01:57 AM

i from that little area before houston and a we do is kill ducks and look for new blinds all the time and catch trout welcome how bout that smog

Posted By: moe cowbell

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 01/02/11 02:53 AM

welcome

Posted By: _Lee

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 01/06/11 02:08 AM

lmao - thats a good way of putting it

Posted By: Seadog

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 01/06/11 10:34 AM

You want real Texas? Get out of the cities!!!

Posted By: atvsmasher

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 01/06/11 01:10 PM

I agree with Seadog. I grew up in the outskirts of Houston. There is a lot of hunting close to Houston. Im sure you can find a local that hunts to take you under his wing. Especially since you work at academy. As far as guns, you cant go wrong with the .30-06, .270, and 7mm. As far as brand, check out Marlin and Savage. Great guns that are very affordable. If you can find a Rem 700 for a few hundred, jump on it. Gun hunting is fun, but bowhunting is even more addicting. Shotguns, I have an 870 and an 11-87. Love them both, just depends on what you want and how much youre willing to spend. Good luck bud, and welcome to Tx! Oh yeah, go get a Tx license!

Posted By: Outdoorgal

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 01/08/11 04:37 AM

welcome!

I'm new to the forum too. Everyone has been very helpful. You'll like it here.

If you are going to get a shotgun a remmington 870 won't fail you. if you want to pay a little more for a semi, i'd reccommend the Weatherby SA-08. I just bought the waterfowler eddition and I love it! Stay away from the Stoeger m2000. They have a break in period. Some shoot the first tiime and everytime there after. some, like the one i bought only shoot 50% of the time. You have to put 100-200 rounds of heavy load through it! i did that and it still didn't work.

Houston, huh? Well there is one good thing about Houston.....you aren't far from saltwater! Blast and Cast!

Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Newbie alert!!! - 01/08/11 04:53 AM

welcome

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum