Texas Hunting Forum

found dead deer have questions

Posted By: tgammon

found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 07:16 AM

i found a dead deer here at my place in canton, we dont see to many deer but this one was found right by the house right by the pond, the thing is there is no gun shot or arrow wound but the butt is eatin out, and its face is halfway eatin. I have know clue what could have done this, and any ideas would be great, im going to post pictures if i can get it off my phone thanks!!!!

Posted By: Seadog

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 07:30 AM

Maybe some internal injuries from being hit by a car or fight or just got old and died!!!

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 07:57 AM

its a very young doe we have a road but it would have had to come about 1/2 mile, its just weird that the butt is eatin out almost completely

Posted By: Seadog

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 08:03 AM

Then it still may have been hit by a car and dragged itself to the pond and the buzzards started chowing down!!! I've seen them start eating from the butt!!! Nasty birds!!!

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 08:54 AM

i was right where it was drag before dark and then found it about 4 hours after dark, but they also ate part of the face and it was in a matter of hours and it was dark, im not tryin to say your wrong its just weird,

Posted By: jigginjt

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 08:57 AM

Sounds like it might have been hit and possibly had internal injuries , when that happens most of the time they will go to water . A lot of deer that are shot in the intestines are found in or around the water .

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 09:15 AM

its neck is also completely broken if that helps

Posted By: posqualie

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 01:43 PM

For some reason we have had this on my lease in east Texas.This is done by Bobcats. Dont ask me why guess evaryone needs a lttle [censored] once and a while.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 02:11 PM

If it's a very young doe, a pack of yotes or a bobcat could have killed it by breaking it's neck. Our dog killed a small doe once exactly that way. We actually figured it out because the doe was still screaming when we got there and we couldn't figure why she didn't just get up and run once we pulled the dogs off.

Posted By: rtp

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 02:20 PM

Yep, seen a pack of coyotees have a small doe, maybe a fawn, surrounded while she was in a small pond on our place. As we approached they ran off. Once they were gone, she made her way out of the pond and as she was running off we could see he butt was nearly completely eaten. It was gross and I really felt sorry for that deer. If I would have had a gun in my hand, I would have taken her out of her misery. Just not something I was suspecting. Im sure they caught back up to her and finished her off at some point. Mother Nature is cruel.

Posted By: JDShellnut

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 02:25 PM

In my experience, most scavengers start on the carcass on the same 3 spots. The eyes, the butt, and any major wounds the animal had like a gun shot. These are the 3 easiest entries. My theory is scavengers are lazy, that is why they are scavengers and not hunters. I mean, why else would they eat a stinking [censored] dead skunk? Cause it is easy.

Posted By: huntwest

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 03:33 PM

Hogs will chow down on it. I have seen them do it before. They don't care what end they start at either.

Posted By: Reggie

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 04:26 PM

Yotes always start on the butt end when eating a carcass.

Reggie

Posted By: trapperjustin

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/18/10 04:35 PM

yotes cats and buzzards eat butts amd eyes mostly soft tissue first. ide say a yote ate the butt

Posted By: don k

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/19/10 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Reggie
Yotes always start on the butt end when eating a carcass.

Reggie
Your coyotes must be different than the ones around here.These grab the throat right behind the head and hang on until the animal is down. They start with opening up the belly and eating the heart, liver, and stuff in that area. You can always tell if it was a coyote that did the killing by skinning out the neck and looking for the tooth marks.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/19/10 01:08 AM

Yote or Bobcat. The hams are easy access and quick fill on meat.

Posted By: Letsgo

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/19/10 02:26 AM

X2

Posted By: CGB

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/19/10 11:11 PM

Put a game camera close to it if you want to find out whats eating it.

Posted By: FISHUNTER

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/20/10 01:02 AM

Are there old Nike prints around it....kinda sounds like our Houston bums are starting to migrate further NW.

Posted By: missingAK

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/20/10 01:14 AM

chupacabra?

Posted By: toolman

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/20/10 01:22 AM

Barney Frank?

Posted By: zac02

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/20/10 01:33 AM

x2 chupa

Posted By: tth_40

Re: found dead deer have questions - 12/20/10 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By: missingAK