Texas Hunting Forum

Camp too close to stand?

Posted By: ricci74

Camp too close to stand? - 11/29/10 11:31 PM

Our camp is only 300 yards from my stand. Every time I go
down i pull the card from my cam and have pics of deer. But
i have yet to see a deer this year from the stand. You can
not see camp from my stand nor hear anybody talking either.
The Only thing i can think of is the wind. But the other four
guys that hunt the place are not seeing anything either. What
should i do? I have a beautiful 16 pt. that i am hoping to
get a crack at. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted By: silentex

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/29/10 11:34 PM

What part of Texas are you hunting? Activity has been picking up quite a bit in certain parts of the state.

I wouldn't put my stand that close to the camp. Then again, most leases I've been on have come complete with very, very loud members.

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/29/10 11:39 PM

Burnet Couny.

Posted By: rtp

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/29/10 11:47 PM

16 points!?, Id be corning the heck of that area and camping out on that dude. He will slip up eventually.

Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/29/10 11:48 PM

When I hunted in east texas I sat on top of our camp house one morning and killed a deer. Of course were not out there raising hell, yelling and having fires every night either.

Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/29/10 11:48 PM

Also my uncle killed a nice 8 out of the window one morning

Posted By: SSJR

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/29/10 11:49 PM

Te hottest stand on our lease right now is 300 yds from camp and about 200 from our land owners house. It is around a hill and is a front pasture of mesquites.. Not too close.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/29/10 11:58 PM

Since I "inherited" a walking cane 10 years ago I use the bedroom window of our cabin. No lack of deer because of the noise etc. from the cabin. I have been watching TV and seen deer walk into the field.

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 12:06 AM

Everytime i corn excessively, i have a group of sixty hens
come by and eat it all at once. they are worse than pigs!!!

Posted By: rtp

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 01:49 AM

Maybe give them some milo nearby but out of the way to keep them busy when you are hunting.

Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 02:10 AM

Hell man we have a stand that's only 40 yrds from our camp and I see deer and hogs and turkey all the time there, Last Saturday I seen a young Red Deer there, I don't think it bother's them once they get used to it.

Posted By: huntwest

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 02:11 AM

I have a feeder set up 30yds behind my house and it is covered with deer every day at some time. II have noticed that except for the couple of very cold days last week almost all of the activity has been at night. I bet if you just give them time that big one will show up one morning or evening. Our bucks here are just starting to chase does.

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 03:37 AM

That is plenty of distance. Friend shot a hog the other night and was dragging it from the pen when a buck walked up and started eating red corn right next to him.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 03:42 AM

Im thinking it isnt an issue of beeing to close to camp.

How do yal hunt? Do you ride a four wheeler to the blind. Drive alot in the pasture when you are there? How big is the place you hunt, how much hunting pressure is put on the place from yall and neighboring hunters?

Lots of things that could be the cause of your problem.

matt

Posted By: Curly

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 03:45 AM

My stand/feeder is the closest to our camp than any other stand on our lease. There used to be a lot of trees between the two but they did some spot cutting a couple years ago and you can almost see camp from my stand and visa-versa. I can sometimes here folks talking in camp when I'm in my stand. The trees have grown some since then which has helped. I did kill my biggest buck ever 2 seasons ago from a trailer blind I made and put up less than 100 yards down the road from our camp. I did it in case my dad ever wanted to hunt so he wouldn't have far to travel from camp. In fact, if anyone was standing behind our cook shed at the time, they could have seen that buck and me shoot it, or even shot at it them self for that matter.

Posted By: sportsman

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 04:06 AM

The guy on our place that is closest to camp sees more deer than the rest of us. We can see his stand from camp.

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 04:50 AM

our place is 318 acres and only two people drive half way
to their stands. We never drive around our lease during the
day. The herd is pretty small. Out of all the pics we've
collected, i have only seen 6 or 7 does and the rest bucks.
Maybe the deer are off chasing one another. Its just weird
how we never see anything. I know their there. Every lease
I've ever been on, we always had deer coming to the feeders.(does,
little bucks)

Posted By: huntwest

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 04:56 AM

There is also a lot of acorns this year. They will come to feeders better as those disappear.

Posted By: Herron

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 05:53 AM

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to "sleep in." I was tent camping and around 8am could swear that I heard a grunt. I decided that was not possible since my tent was out in the open, full of smelly clothes and a smelly hunter and the truck was parked right next to it.

I got up 15 minutes later and after stepping out of the tent, sure enough, I saw a very nice buck tailing a doe about 30 yards away.

I think the deer just get used to some things after a while. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt close to camp.

Posted By: deerslayer64d

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 11:54 AM

we have a tower blind IN camp we call the hangover blind , I sat in it saturday afternoon fire burning genarator running, and had 20 + deer ! I hear stories all the time of BIG deer killed in camps !

Posted By: tkuehn5410

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 02:45 PM

I think deer get used to camp smells over time. Also, some deer year after year get passes as they are never seen by everyone who thinks they have to travel a good way to get away from camp.

Posted By: scott1071

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 02:56 PM

All depends on what the deer are used to. We had tree stands within 300 - 800 yards of our camp (small lease, lots of topo). Heck, we had a nice 8 pt buck at the feeder on opening morning of dove season not 200 yards from where I was standing blasting away.

Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 03:03 PM

We would run the same 6 mule deer out of our camp,ever time we showed up! Sometimes coming back into camp after hunting,they would be there!

Posted By: Texas Heat

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 03:38 PM

Man I hunt Burnet County as well, and have hunted every weekend so far. The first two weekends were good, but these last two it seems like all the deer have disappeared off the place.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 04:42 PM

redneck_mesiah has a stand he hunts from camp, literally, by the camp, from a table, by the campfire...

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 06:54 PM

One of our best buck stands is the closest to camp. It is probably 150 yards from the closest trailer. We have a cabin and 2 trailers. Last year I saw the biggest buck on the lease from this stand and he was broadside at 60 yards for long enough to shoot several times. My son shot a big male cat within an hour of getting in the stand last. He also shot the 2nd biggest buck seen or shot on opening weekend this year. I think there are several reasons and the main is terrain. It sits close to the Colorado River in a transition zone from cedars to oaks. The 3 elements of food, cover, & water are there. I have seen deer at this stand at all times of the day and walking back to camp from the stand. This year I killed a decent turkey before I could even put my face netting on. Freaked out the ones back at camp when I chucked it on the deck and was only gone 15 minutes.

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 07:07 PM

Some of the biggest bucks can be found right next to camp, and that's because most everyone takes off for the furthest corner of the lease in order to get as far away from camp as possible, and it doesn't take long for the deer to get used to that fact.

I hunted a ranch in south texas that had a fairly large pasture that surrounded the lodge and it was called the house pasture and the deer were referred to as house deer and they were off limits to hunters.

You would not believe the number of huge bucks that just hung around that house, and the house pasture was all low fence, and those deer seemed tame as they would come up and practically eat corn from your hand.

Deer know where they feel safe and the safest place on a lot of leases is right next to camp!

Posted By: Elkman

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 11/30/10 08:04 PM

I hunt in Colorado Killed a nice bull 500 yards from camp with a black powder, we have had several cows and calves come closer, I beleive it has to do with scent control and noise level.

Posted By: mws

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 12/01/10 12:13 AM

stop make noise and do not eat chili the night before confused2

Next time you go out put an open bottle of doe estrus in your back pocket and he will find you bolt

Posted By: deerslayer78

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 12/01/10 01:04 AM

We have seen and shot many deer near our camphouse! We had a stand about 50yds from it a couple of years back!! In the morning after a moonlit night you can smell the scent of deer very strong right at the camp! I alway grab a cup of coffee or cocoa and go look at all the tracks in the road 50yds away, lol! Deer come around camps cuz they feel safe there, plain and simple!!!

Posted By: mudman

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 12/01/10 02:25 AM

I killed my biggest buck in the front pasture of our lease and about 100 yards from the land owners house. The lease was only 300 acres and we always parked in the front and hunted in the back of the place. The big bucks are never where you expect them.

Posted By: rkj01

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 12/01/10 06:15 PM

Our camp is located in a big hay meadow and we have two feeders set up insight of camp. Does are always around the feeders . During the rut the camp is the best place to hunt if there is not many people around. Bucks come for far away to check the does. Last friday i saw 5 bucks and 7 does looking out the camp window.Later that evening i moved to a stand in the same meadow just behind some trees from the camp and saw 3 bucks i shot the last one which was a true 6 pt 17.5 inches wide. Our lease is in Anderson Co.

Posted By: jim1961

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 12/01/10 10:39 PM

We have a stand like that and honestly it is one of the best on the lease

Posted By: TPACK

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 09/02/11 01:56 PM

We have 250 acrea with the camp being in the middle of it. I can sit at camp and watch a feeder that is 275 yards away and see deer everyday.However no one lives within 2 miles of our lease.

Posted By: Deer Hound

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 09/02/11 05:57 PM

These pictures were taken off the front porch of the camp house a few weeks ago by my daughter

Posted By: Texas Heat

Re: Camp too close to stand? - 09/03/11 08:54 AM

Necro thread lol

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum