Texas Hunting Forum

Too Careful?

Posted By: scott1071

Too Careful? - 11/17/10 10:36 PM

So me and my two kids (9 & 4 years old) were going hunting this weekend with my friend. My friend cannot go so I am debating just me and the two kids going. However, this place is in the middle of nowhere, and I mean nowhere.

The cautious side of me says I should not go in case something happened to me way out there. My 9 year old gets drilled regularly on what to do if anything happened to me. However, things would change dramatically if he was also in charge of his little brother trying to keep a cool head.

Am I worrying too much?

Posted By: 7mag

Re: Too Careful? - 11/17/10 10:39 PM

Go have fun dude and let the worries stay behind. Common sense is the best thing in whatever you do. If it doesn't sound right don't do it.

Posted By: TAT

Re: Too Careful? - 11/17/10 10:42 PM

go gettem! just have fun

Posted By: themadcow

Re: Too Careful? - 11/17/10 10:46 PM

You need to apperciate those "middle of nowhere" places. They may not be around for too much longer.

Re: Too Careful? - 11/17/10 10:54 PM

I definitely appreciate those "middle of nowhere" paces. We are blessed enough that my family owns this one and it's a dandy, so hopefully it will be around for a while.

Posted By: chalet

Re: Too Careful? - 11/17/10 11:19 PM

Take em. Make sure the older one knows how to use a cell phone and cigarette lighter.

I say cigarette lighter because my dad smoked. Whenever we'd be driving in the middle of nowhere (pre cell phone days) he'd say that if something happened, build a fire, hang tight, and wait on somebody to show up.

Posted By: TAT

Re: Too Careful? - 11/17/10 11:22 PM

sometimes i feel the same way with my boys. then i think about all the days when i was groin up that me and my brother would stay out from sun up to sun down playin in the creek and on the land we grew up on.the land is still in the family but as life goes i have moved away and made my own life. its the simple things we tend to over look. get those kids of yours down there and have a blast. and remember to them you are superman and nothing can hurt them while your around. now go have fun!

Posted By: jjandcompany

Re: Too Careful? - 11/17/10 11:26 PM

Give the kids written instructions/directions on location to go with the cell, program sheriffs number, and what lack of cell service means? And a few driving instructions,, Then Have fun

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Too Careful? - 11/17/10 11:28 PM

My lease is also out in the boonies, I am getting up there in years as well. My grandson (8YO) and I will go to the lease by ourself all the time. I want to spend as much time as I can with him as long as I am breathing. I have taught him everything I can in the event some thing happens to me. So what I am saying is, get out in the woods with them and have fun.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Too Careful? - 11/17/10 11:29 PM

GO

Take a GPS and get the coordinates and write them down in case they need to be used

Posted By: Tbar

Re: Too Careful? - 11/17/10 11:31 PM

Nothing wrong with being cautious.........coordinate with the wife that you will send her a text message every X hrs at the top of the hour(assuming you have cell service).

If she doesn't get a text then she knows where you are and can send help.

Tbar

Posted By: Curtis

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 12:48 AM

Hmm....you don't have OnStar by any chance do ya? Ha ha...

No man....go! Have fun! If you get lost, the kids will remember it for ever and you will have some great memories! Your right to be cautious and think about it, but I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Get them kiddos out there and enjoy the outdoors!

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 03:30 AM

Appreciate the input guys. I do seem to easily forget the times my Dad had us in the boonies when I was a tot. We survived.

And I do have on-star and my eldest knows how to start the truck and hit the red button. ;-) He also knows plan B and C.

When I have drilled him on what to do in an emergency he is never concerned or confused about what he should do, but always says he doesn't know if he could leave my out there to find help. That'll tug at your heart strings as a father.

Posted By: dowen

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 04:06 AM

wow! had a car wreck 3 months ago & my daughter insisted on riding in the ambulance with me. i wasn't seriously hurt but no one knew for sure at the time. strange feeling when the kiddos worry about you almost as much as you do them

Posted By: catchin'

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 02:38 PM

I am in your same boat out in west tx about 50 miles from boarder. Just started hunting with my 13 yr old son. I am cautious and do text my wife regularly.

I believe you can't let the what ifs control your life and/or time with your sons. My son and I look forward to the 8 hrs in the blind, cooking and fending for ourselves and just the father and son time. Don't miss out on that. You can't get back. It is a great time to teach them how to be good, independent men.

Posted By: TXMachinist

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: jjandcompany
Give the kids written instructions/directions on location to go with the cell, program sheriffs number, and what lack of cell service means? And a few driving instructions,, Then Have fun

+1

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 04:04 PM

Thanks catchin'. I hear ya. Good idea about the regularly scheduled texting.... until I get stupid and forget about it and the cavalry shows up! Just kiddin. It really is a good idea when the really young ones like mine are involved.

My sons each started hunting with me when they were three years old and I have only been without them 5 or 6 times in the past six years. They definitely get lots of time with Dad in the field and we enjoy every minute of it. I do tend to be a little more cautious when my 4 year old is involved.

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 04:13 PM

Check in with another adult at a prearranged time early and late, inform the kids what to do IF, and go and get amongst them.

Posted By: MELackey

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 04:16 PM

I take my 6 yr old with me to the ranch most of the time. When the 2 yr old is a little older, I'll be taking both of them. Just be careful. Keep it tame. No chainsaws, midnight hikes, ATV races or anything else that could be really dangerous.

Of course, I may be a little over cautious, but I always keep in mind how far away from medical attention we are.

Posted By: atascosa_red

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 04:19 PM

Go have fun!! Have pre-set check-ins with the wife or someone. Worry, but don't worry to the point that it takes all of the fun out of it!! These times with your kids will shoot past you in the blink of an eye. Have fun while you can...they grow up way too fast!!

Posted By: the rattler

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 05:27 PM

I would defintely take em, & use good common sense & leave info where you are & when your coming home.
Some of my best memories are of my little ones, sleeping in my lap in the blind, then sleeping at my feet as he got too big, playing w/praying mantis because the got bored. Watching both of them pester each other to death. Go

Posted By: the rattler

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 05:36 PM

go

Posted By: jskin

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 05:39 PM

Great thing you are doing by taking the kids. Just have a plan and get on the road!

Posted By: west-tex

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 05:56 PM

Boss i am in the same boat as you. i wanted to take my daughter to my family ranch but is so rough and in the middle of nowhere. i ended up not going cause it would make one hundred times harder on me if my daughter was left to fend for her self. but we are 4 miles away from the border and we have been seeing more movement around there.

so you are not wrong to worry.

Re: Too Careful? - 11/18/10 06:44 PM

We're going. Thanks guys.

If you read a story in the paper about a middle aged guy kicking the bucket and his 9 year old son fighting his way out of hog infested woods armed only with a machete and flash light, all while carrying his 4 year old brother on his shoulders... it was probably us.

Posted By: Buckmgmt

Re: Too Careful? - 11/19/10 10:14 AM

It's a funny thing being a dad. The things I remember doing as a kid scares the heck out of me to think my son doing the same things. I'm constantly being reminded by my wife that I am being over-cautious. Like others have said, take pre-cautions and teach your 9 year old on what to do in the event of an emergency (like setting the speed dial on the phone to your house or a good friend, first aid kit etc.). There's a better chance that you will make the best memories of your life than having to dial 911. Good luck and have fun!

Posted By: Buckmgmt

Re: Too Careful? - 11/19/10 10:18 AM

Originally Posted By: scott1071
We're going. Thanks guys.

If you read a story in the paper about a middle aged guy kicking the bucket and his 9 year old son fighting his way out of hog infested woods armed only with a machete and flash light, all while carrying his 4 year old brother on his shoulders... it was probably us.

To make light of this, they could then sell the movie rights and be financially secure for the rest of their lives....all because you kicked the bucket. Does that make you feel better?

Re: Too Careful? - 11/19/10 01:48 PM

Ha! I all of the sudden do feel better!

Posted By: jjandcompany

Re: Too Careful? - 11/19/10 02:37 PM

Id forgot about one thing,, being semi ol fart an long history of being and/or draggin kids thru some nasty and big places. I was given a whistle, and also passed them out along the way. Only time one was used was in throckmorton co Flats when another kid got seperated on swenson place in 50s, And thats how he was located. Another time brought one out of anderson bottoms after dark with a chainsaw motor. Both times they were there one minute an gone the other. My worst time was state fair about 6 1/2. AXXhole older sister put me on wrong bus. Ended up in waco around 10-11 pm. Ridin side saddle on cops 3 wheeler. Sure glad i remenbered telephone # DI-(xon)2- 6185 60+years ago. You remember life savers kinda odd

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum