Texas Hunting Forum

National Forest Question

Posted By: ghostrider

National Forest Question - 10/24/10 12:39 AM

I've been hunting here in the North Carolina Game Lands. for the past 2 weeks or so, I've walked past a ground blind that has a chair and pair of shooting sticks in it. I haven't messed with it, just have to walk apast it to get to where I hunt. I've never seen anyone in or near the ground blind, and no new tracks in the area besides mine. The ground blind seems really faded almost white.

The question is. How long do I walk past this blind before it's considered "abandoned"? I'm not going to mess with it, but if it's there after hunting season is over in January, would you consider taking it risking the fact that being on the coast, it's going to eventually blown away by the coastal winds? I'm NO thief in any manner, but if it's left out on National Forest untouched is it free game after 3 months?

Posted By: jdickey

Re: National Forest Question - 10/24/10 04:21 AM

If it's "almost white" ....why would you want it anyway? I'd report it to the Park Ranger first, and let them make that decision. In most situations, the blind will be taken down and kept at the Ranger station.

Posted By: billy gordon

Re: National Forest Question - 10/24/10 02:09 PM

If its not yours leave it alone.JMO.

Posted By: ramit315

Re: National Forest Question - 10/24/10 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: billy gordon
If its not yours leave it alone.JMO.

x2

Posted By: Hopedale

Re: National Forest Question - 10/24/10 11:54 PM

Devildog, if you didn't buy it, it wasn't issued to you, and it wasn't given to you, then leave it alone.

Call the local gamewarden and report it. Let them collect it up, and then ask if you can have it if no one claims it.

Posted By: mossberg man

Re: National Forest Question - 10/25/10 12:05 AM

As someone who used to hunt public. If a blind/stand is left for more than 72 hours it becomes property of state/us gov. Granted this was years ago and even after years of it being there if a local owned it he will defend his blind /stand to the death

Posted By: caddokiller

Re: National Forest Question - 10/25/10 12:08 AM

If its still there after season Id take it and thow it away. No use in it tearing up and becoming litter that someone will have to pick up in 20 pieces next year

Posted By: ghostrider

Re: National Forest Question - 10/25/10 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: caddokiller
If its still there after season Id take it and thow it away. No use in it tearing up and becoming litter that someone will have to pick up in 20 pieces next year

That's the same thing I was thinking caddokiller. I don't need the blind. I was reading a thread here a while back about bird hunters picking up all of their shell casings after the hunt. If you wouldn't leave casing laying on the ground what's the difference in leaving a blind to blow away maybe getting tangled into a deers horns and killing it or any animal for that matter. I'll take yalls advice and let the local game warden know about it if it's still there after season.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum