Texas Hunting Forum

how to whiten a deer skull???

Posted By: pig out

how to whiten a deer skull??? - 09/24/10 09:25 PM

i am looking for a good easy way to whiten a deer skull. I've seen the skull bleaching kit at cabelas but i was hoping to spend a little less than $20 and not to have to get it shipped. I've also heard that bleach will rot the skull. is this true? any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: how to whiten a deer skull??? - 09/24/10 09:28 PM

Sally beauty supply- 30 % or better Perioxde

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: how to whiten a deer skull??? - 09/24/10 09:29 PM

I use mine, I just pour back in the bottle

Posted By: murph

Re: how to whiten a deer skull??? - 09/24/10 09:31 PM

After the peroxide treatment, a can of white spray paint does wonders!

Here's a couple pics, the one on the left I did last year and touched up with spray paint, the other was done by taxidermist:

Posted By: chargercody

Re: how to whiten a deer skull??? - 09/24/10 09:34 PM

Don't use bleach! Buy 40 volume peroxide at sally beauty supply.....use the gel. Paint brush it on the skull (do not touch antlers). Aplly one coat every day for three days. Then put it out in the sun for about 3 days. Wash it all off and apply a coat of non yellowing satin (flat) clear coat. Rust O-leum is a good brand. Make sure you watch for the teeth, they may fall out. When you are done whitening, apply superglue around the teeth before clear coating.

Posted By: bust'em-n-dust'em

Re: how to whiten a deer skull??? - 09/24/10 09:36 PM

bleach eats away at the bone and will make it brittle

+1 for the beauty supply peroxide gel

Posted By: How to Clean a Deer Skull

Re: how to whiten a deer skull??? - 09/25/10 01:52 AM

the easiest way to make a skull white is to get the 40 volume peroxide from sally's and get basic white. mix them togeather to form a paste and let it sit out for 24hrs or so. once the paste has dried completly submerge the skull into a pot of Very hot water. this will further the oxidation. let it dry out in the sun for a good 12 hours.

to get a skull super white and not yellow looking, you need to degrease it first. if you dont get the grease out then it will never get it completly white!

Posted By: Hookem'UTbass

Re: how to whiten a deer skull??? - 09/25/10 03:38 AM

when boiling, add peroxide then,

Posted By: pig out

Re: how to whiten a deer skull??? - 09/25/10 03:47 AM

so just brush 30% or better peroxide on the skull? also could i spray paint it white and not do anything else?? would that turn out good?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum