Texas Hunting Forum

Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows

Posted By: MetroCat07

Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/19/10 07:04 PM

I try to watch just cause I wanna see some hunting especially when I'm gettin pumped this time of year but the horrible heavy metal music, don't get me wrong I like some of it but it isn't propper for the hunting culture IMO. The ridiculous commercials and intros making all these bozo's out to be like rock stars riding Harleys etc. Magical potions to spray around your area to lure'em in and sprays to make you not smell. And the constant talk of trophy this, trophy that, scores, mass blah blah blah. I thought hunting was about being outdoors, exercissing that instinct in man to hunt and harvesting what nature has to offer for food.

If your into that fine, it's just annoying to me, my opinion.

I'm gonna try to find some old school hunting shows on DVD like Fred Bear etc.

Any suggestions?

ETA: Also, what current shows do you like if you think like me?

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/19/10 07:15 PM

I stopped watching about 99% of the shoes. They do go overboard like you stated.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/19/10 07:18 PM

Use that remote...that is what they made it for. up

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/19/10 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

I already got that part figured out. The request of the post was regarding old school shows.

Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/19/10 07:33 PM

What I dont get is some of these guys shoot a monster of a lifetime, watch him keel over, and keep on whispering?!? When I shoot anything my teeth chatter louder than they talk. Some of it you can tell has been filmed after the shot was taken. The worst one I've ever seen was with some old man turkey hunting (not Knight and Hale). He said everything he was doing. "I'm gonna take him, I'm taking the gun off saftey, I'm gonna pull the trigger, Wow he's down." bs

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/19/10 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: MetroCat07

I already got that part figured out. The request of the post was regarding old school shows.

I understand what you mean't... I use the remote to find another hunting show that I like to watch. They are getting harder and harder to find though.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/19/10 07:36 PM

I understand what you mean't... I use the remote to find another hunting show that I like to watch. They are getting harder and harder to find though.

Jimmy Big time!

Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/19/10 07:39 PM

That's how the hunting industry is now. No sponsors = No TV show. Good luck on your search. Times are definitely changing, about the only show I can think of for you is Buckmasters classic.

Posted By: Stompy

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/19/10 07:55 PM

I got about 5 shows I use the dvr on. The rest of them are infomercials..IMO

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/19/10 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
I got about 5 shows I use the dvr on. The rest of them are infomercials..IMO

Which shows are those?

Same question for the rest of ya'll.

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/19/10 08:05 PM

I hear ya. I miss The American Sportsman with Kurt Gowdy.

Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/19/10 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Tony
I hear ya. I miss The American Sportsman with Kurt Gowdy.

Me too BT, me too.

Posted By: RobertY

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/19/10 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: bigdaddy590
What I dont get is some of these guys shoot a monster of a lifetime, watch him keel over, and keep on whispering?!?

I've always wondered this too. Why the heck are they whispering!? When I see my trophy hit the dirt, it get pretty pumped up. I'm typcially chattering enough to make the windows shimmy, not to mention giving a couple "hell yeah" shout outs to mother nature...which is more of a self pride deal I guess, but it feels good.

Posted By: TxBuck

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 12:16 AM

Funny to watch how many of them hunt behind high fence. I really love how everything is South Texas, watched a show yesterday and they were West of Dallas. Ole boy starts saying how there hunting the thick brush county of South Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:04 AM

I used to like watching TTHA and kieth warren outdoors, both were good hunting shows. same goes for realtrees monster buck series

I haven't watched a show in awhile, but i see their advertisments, and its getting rediculous to say the least.

it seems like the new thing is couples who hunt, IE. lee and tiffany, and there are a few others. not to mention the new "tough guy hunters" like duck commander and the new one, "deer thugs". I see alot of fat bald headed southern boys with goatees putting on their mean face to go take a black and white pic about their hunting show. I mean, come on, its rediculous. Knocking off a deer dosen't make you tuff, unless you pounced on it from a tree and slit its throat with your knife.

i don't know who their audiance is geared toward, but I would never watch those shows

Posted By: jim1961

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:05 AM

I agree, way too many sponsors and commercials

Posted By: gary75758

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: RobertYuras
Originally Posted By: bigdaddy590
What I dont get is some of these guys shoot a monster of a lifetime, watch him keel over, and keep on whispering?!?

I've always wondered this too. Why the heck are they whispering!? When I see my trophy hit the dirt, it get pretty pumped up. I'm typcially chattering enough to make the windows shimmy, not to mention giving a couple "hell yeah" shout outs to mother nature...which is more of a self pride deal I guess, but it feels good.

I always wonder why they whisper after the shot....makes them look stupid... texas

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

i don't know who their audiance is geared toward, but I would never watch those shows

-
Agreed. Seems like they took their lead from that cartoon movie, "Open Season" - paints hunters out to be 'forest thugs' lookin for anything to kill. Think they're caterin to city folk and wanna-be's that glorify violence and see hunting as such against wildlife.

Posted By: RickyK

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:29 AM

I like the old Eastman shows.

Posted By: kry226

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:47 AM

Old Drury Brothers stuff, older Wild Outdoors, Closing the Distance.

Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:53 AM

The only person who doesn't seem to care about the trophy is old Uncle Ted. But his show is COVERED in advertising more than any other show which makes me sick to watch it. He is also a fake guy IMO.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: jensent
The only person who doesn't seem to care about the trophy is old Uncle Ted. But his show is COVERED in advertising more than any other show which makes me sick to watch it. He is also a fake guy IMO.

his "getting high off the blood of the kill" and the "mystical flight of the arrow" is, imo, a little gay, for lack of a better word.

I understand repsecting the animal and all, and i get a huge adrenaline rush from hunting, but he takes it WAY over the top.

I'm glad he's for the cause and all, but his schtick gets old real quick, at least for me.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

-
Agreed. Seems like they took their lead from that cartoon movie, "Open Season" - paints hunters out to be 'forest thugs' lookin for anything to kill. Think they're caterin to city folk and wanna-be's that glorify violence and see hunting as such against wildlife.

Lol,

muggin some poor bambi, in some back alley food plot, on the wrong side of the ranch....

Posted By: LJG

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 02:19 AM

but the horrible heavy metal music, don't get me wrong I like some of it but it isn't propper for the hunting culture IMO.

What is this "HUNTING CULTURE" you speak of? Seems you approve of the stereotype that all those that hunt are retarded rednecks. NOt doing much for the cause with statements like that.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: LJG
but the horrible heavy metal music, don't get me wrong I like some of it but it isn't propper for the hunting culture IMO.

What is this "HUNTING CULTURE" you speak of? Seems you approve of the stereotype that all those that hunt are retarded rednecks. NOt doing much for the cause with statements like that.

not all hunters are red necks, but the last thing i listen to when going to the ranch is cannibal corpse or deathklok. i'm not jamming out to hank williams III or johnny rebel either.

it can fuel the fire for the anti's, by sending the message that hunters listen to death metal, get all fired up, slam a redbull then go slaughter animals. same thing that happened back in the 80's when tipper gore was stateing that vulgar lyrics in rock and rap music was the cause of youth violence. perception is reality

Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: jensent

his "getting high off the blood of the kill" and the "mystical flight of the arrow" is, imo, a little gay, for lack of a better word.

I understand repsecting the animal and all, and i get a huge adrenaline rush from hunting, but he takes it WAY over the top.

I'm glad he's for the cause and all, but his schtick gets old real quick, at least for me.

Believe me I agree with you 100% but he seems to be one of the few guys that isn't shooting a complete hoss in every episode. Now whether or not he is a good guy I do not know because I have never gotten the chance to meet him.

Posted By: AmoCuernos

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 03:03 AM

I try to watch just cause I wanna see some hunting especially when I'm gettin pumped this time of year but the horrible heavy metal music, don't get me wrong I like some of it but it isn't propper for the hunting culture IMO. The ridiculous commercials and intros making all these bozo's out to be like rock stars riding Harleys etc. Magical potions to spray around your area to lure'em in and sprays to make you not smell. And the constant talk of trophy this, trophy that, scores, mass blah blah blah. I thought hunting was about being outdoors, exercissing that instinct in man to hunt and harvesting what nature has to offer for food.

Any suggestions?

Would Baywatch have been as popular if all the chicks were fat?

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 03:22 AM

not all hunters are red necks, but the last thing i listen to when going to the ranch is cannibal corpse or deathklok. i'm not jamming out to hank williams III or johnny rebel either.

it can fuel the fire for the anti's, by sending the message that hunters listen to death metal, get all fired up, slam a redbull then go slaughter animals. same thing that happened back in the 80's when tipper gore was stateing that vulgar lyrics in rock and rap music was the cause of youth violence. perception is reality

I get that. But to refer to it a "the hunting culture" is plain silly. I am in no way part of some sub-culture of hunter type people. I don't conform to any 1 way of thinking or being. I also do not define myself as a hunter. I am me. Nothing,especially a hobby,can define who I am.
I just think the OP believes that there is 1 type of hunter.

I personally do listen to cannibal corpse on the way to do some hog dogging. It gets me pumped up and ready to go.

Posted By: NDN98

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 03:32 AM

I never watch any shows live. Just DVR them and watch them without commercials.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 03:34 AM

LOL Gimme a break, thats quite a stretch assumeing that since MY OPINION that death metal isn't hunting music I believe all hunters are buck toothed drooling rednecks.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 03:42 AM

LOL Gimme a break, thats quite a stretch assumeing that since MY OPINION that death metal isn't hunting music I believe all hunters are buck toothed drooling rednecks.

Your opinion,my opinion.......And what?

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 04:00 AM

Your opinion,my opinion.......And what?

I'm not gonna argue with you, think whatever you want about me.

Posted By: AmoCuernos

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 04:15 AM

To be fair... the only time I tolerate Banjo Music is when a 160 is walking in...

Metal lets me watch all the way down into the 150's...

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 04:16 AM

yall listen to the music?

Posted By: tk325

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 05:01 AM

Seems to me like most of the guys are wanna be country boys that grow goattees and talk with strong southern voices. They also take pride in acting dumb and making stupid jokes.

Only ones I watch are Jim Shockey and that Tracks across Africa show.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 05:04 AM

Jim Shockey?!? guess thats why its a free country

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 05:21 AM

tracks across africa is a good one. Also like the boddington/ivan carter one that just started coming on.

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 06:27 AM

There's one guy that uses a Savage bolt action with a thumb hole named Jim Burnworth that I like. He's kind of a no frills hunter.

The ones that aggrivate the scat out of me are The Crush, Drury Brothers, and Waddell and the fat guy. Every other word out of their mouth is "I use "x product" to get this here 300 score deer and you need to also.".

The Trophy Quest show echoes how a lot of people are starting to feel. He only hunts with an open sighted 30-30.

Posted By: Gus McRae

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:11 PM

Here's a story:

A guy on my old lease has a cousin who is a cameraman for some of these hunting shows. He said you'd be shocked at how fake all of the hunting is. One anecdote he shared: guys are hunting in the afternoon, shoot a buck but make a bad shot. Track the deer for hours, but never find him. The ranch owner tells him, well we'll get you on something else. A couple days later, another hunter ends up shooting the same buck (who was limping from the bad shot); they get the original "hunter" back up there to show some laydown pics and act out the whole scene of finding the buck.

Another show they were filming a turkey hunt; the "hunter" was tired and slept in, but they went ahead and filmed another guy shoot a turkey. Went back, got the "hunter" out of bed and had him in the blind calling and what not, and film him shooting. Then piece it all together and act like that was his hunt.

We're all getting the wool pulled over our eyes. The whole hunting show crap is just a scam to advertise. I think there will eventually be some backlash and things will swing back the other way. At least I hope so because these shows are all BS.

Posted By: Curtis

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:15 PM

Honestly I wish some of the shows would cut out the music when the hunt is on.Hell..play it during your infomercial that I'm not gonna watch anyway! I kind of like hearing the woods, the wind, the birds and everything else around during the hunt. I could care less if its country or heavy rock playing. Cut the music off and let me hear just the nature and quit your damn whispering after you have taken the shot! Also if they make a mistake like making too much noise in the blind and spook something don't try to play it off as something else. Just admit you made a mistake! It's hunting and we all do it! I hate when you can tell they have over edited the video. It just doesn't seem natural at some point on the shows because the go too far. JMHO.

Posted By: rtp

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:17 PM

Yep just stop watching and they will go away. Or change back to something we will watch.

Posted By: TxBuck

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Gus McRae
Here's a story:

A guy on my old lease has a cousin who is a cameraman for some of these hunting shows. He said you'd be shocked at how fake all of the hunting is. One anecdote he shared: guys are hunting in the afternoon, shoot a buck but make a bad shot. Track the deer for hours, but never find him. The ranch owner tells him, well we'll get you on something else. A couple days later, another hunter ends up shooting the same buck (who was limping from the bad shot); they get the original "hunter" back up there to show some laydown pics and act out the whole scene of finding the buck.

Hope your right maybe it'll bring hunting back down to an adfordable sport for most of us!!!

Another show they were filming a turkey hunt; the "hunter" was tired and slept in, but they went ahead and filmed another guy shoot a turkey. Went back, got the "hunter" out of bed and had him in the blind calling and what not, and film him shooting. Then piece it all together and act like that was his hunt.

We're all getting the wool pulled over our eyes. The whole hunting show crap is just a scam to advertise. I think there will eventually be some backlash and things will swing back the other way. At least I hope so because these shows are all BS.

Posted By: vanguard

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:52 PM

way to many comercials
dont care what theyre doing behind the scenes, if you have time to waste, talk about guns, calibers, bows, broadheads, honest product reviews, how to field dress, how to cook the game, etc etc etc,

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: devildog28

The ones that aggrivate the scat out of me are The Crush, Drury Brothers, and Waddell and the fat guy. Every other word out of their mouth is "I use "x product" to get this here 300 score deer and you need to also.".

guess they gotta pay the bills....

I ever got a sponsored show, only people I'd endorse are mummies apple scented deer corn, keystone light and all seasons tailgate feeders. that and the camera man who holds my beer while i make the shot.

think anyone would watch that?

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos

To be fair... the only time I tolerate Banjo Music is when a 160 is walking in...

Metal lets me watch all the way down into the 150's...

lol, when does the symphony come into play, 180 class?

Posted By: Luckycharms_1981

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 01:58 PM

Wouldn't it be a cick to get some of the un-edited video?!?!?

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Luckycharms_1981
Wouldn't it be a cick to get some of the un-edited video?!?!?

jimmy houston had some pre-edit videos of him "hunting" get released

shooting a breeder buck that was recoving from the dart, staggers by his stand and he thumps it with a blunt tip arrow.

pretty much blew open the whole facade about hunting shows

Posted By: BurrOak

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 02:14 PM

I tried watching one show this weekend, dont remember the name, and i was just amazed at the entire show. Like you all are saying, it was all an advertising gimmick, and the "hunting" was all a joke. These guys were spot and stalking some massive bucks, they would get so close to the deer, and whisper quietly "oh to take him or not to take him blah blah blah". They are literally 30 yards from the buck, and he is staring right into the camera, unafraid. They dont shoot, and the guys get up and start moving around and talkin and start in a different direction, and the buck never runs off or anything, just stays there.

Are all these guys just out there "hunting" pet deer or what? If those guys utilized that same hunting method in a different hunting environment, or should i say, an ACTUAL hunting environment, they would never see anything.

Posted By: LAstrutter

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 02:40 PM

Here's a story:

A guy on my old lease has a cousin who is a cameraman for some of these hunting shows. He said you'd be shocked at how fake all of the hunting is.

I don't think we are shocked at all. I believe most of us know what is going on with these hunting shows.

Posted By: Armalite260

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 02:43 PM

MikeHoncho.. I agree!! Most hunting shows do not impress me.. If they are as GOOD as they think.. Let's see them hunt on some public land and kill a "MONSTER".. Davy Crockett National Forrest or something like that..

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 02:54 PM

These hunting shows are nothing but infomercials. They've got everybody convinced that in order to be a successful deer hunter you have to have the latest, sexiest rifle in the latest WSM caliber while wearing the latest camo pattern and scent cover and attracting deer with best foods and scents and calls on the market.

Bottom line, our grandpa's went out wearing coveralls and red flannel shirts with an iron sight 30-30 and killed plenty of deer. They did it without feeders and game cams or $10,000 ATV's. And they probably did it while smoking cigarettes and coughing their lungs out.

Don't buy into the all the hype.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: LAstrutter
Here's a story:

A guy on my old lease has a cousin who is a cameraman for some of these hunting shows. He said you'd be shocked at how fake all of the hunting is.

I don't think we are shocked at all. I believe most of us know what is going on with these hunting shows.

Yeah, no kidding. I haven't watched these shows in 5 years. Highly edited, and it's not even like they do a good job of editing.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Mchambless
MikeHoncho.. I agree!! Most hunting shows do not impress me.. If they are as GOOD as they think.. Let's see them hunt on some public land and kill a "MONSTER".. Davy Crockett National Forrest or something like that..

you can't kill a monster deer where they don't exist.

alot of hunting shows hunt public land in other states, but fact of the matter is, aside from some drawn hunts in other areas, east texas deer hunting on public land is less than desirable

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Mchambless

you can't kill a monster deer where they don't exist.

alot of hunting shows hunt public land in other states, but fact of the matter is, aside from some drawn hunts in other areas, east texas deer hunting on public land is less than desirable

They exist in crockett but it would be like finding a needle in a haystack. They want to go where a trophy deer is nearly gauranteed.

Posted By: Curly

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 03:52 PM

Hunting shows are all pretty much the same. You've seen one, you've seen them all. Now the trend is to get a married couple hosting the show with the wife being hot. Most of the hunting shows are just infomercials for sponsors (note all the product placement that goes on during the shows) and for the ranches they are hutning on. Plus like I've said before, I get tired of all the whispering. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. IMO

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Curly
Hunting shows are all pretty much the same. You've seen one, you've seen them all and I get tired of all the whispering. Most of them are just infomercials for their sponsors, their hot wives and for the ranches they are hutning on. IMO.

yeah man, can't stand hot wives, makes me sick
sick

Posted By: Armalite260

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 07:21 PM

I agree.. Most of E. TX hunting isn't desirable.. However I was using Davy Crocket as an example. Some do hunt on public land, elk, bear.... etc.. I don't see them doing that much in TX, or KS, or MO.. Most are private ranches.. Now that I think about it.. I'm just jealous I can't afford to do that... LOL

Posted By: scattergun

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 08:39 PM

Any suggestions?

"Dancing with the Stars" comes on tonight so I was informed by my wife.

Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 08:58 PM

So what do you guys think about that show called, " On your own adventures"? I think the guys name is Randy and he only hunts public land. You guys like that kind of show or only the bigguns getting slaughtered? I prefer the d-i-y show but my brother in law says, "He never kills anything big" so he hates it. Your thoughts???

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
These hunting shows are nothing but infomercials. They've got everybody convinced that in order to be a successful deer hunter you have to have the latest, sexiest rifle in the latest WSM caliber while wearing the latest camo pattern and scent cover and attracting deer with best foods and scents and calls on the market.

Bottom line, our grandpa's went out wearing coveralls and red flannel shirts with an iron sight 30-30 and killed plenty of deer. They did it without feeders and game cams or $10,000 ATV's. And they probably did it while smoking cigarettes and coughing their lungs out.

Don't buy into the all the hype.

Dont they could pay the bills with coverall, red flannel shirt iron sights commercials.....just sayin.....Be glad we have a channel devoted to what we love to do, we get to see all types of styles of hunting from trophy deer to Hippos. Heck, we ought to thank everyone of those guys for doing what they do so we can show our kids hunting shows and tweek there intrests, I know it has with my two boys and my little girl.

Posted By: RobertY

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 09:11 PM

My uncle was hired to film a hunt in south Texas. They were going to shoot the "gazebo buck", which got its name because every night he slept under a gazebo just off the front porch of the ranch house. The day of the hunt came, and for HOURS, they spent setting up multiple camera angles to try and get the gazebo out of the camera shot. The buck would go to the feeder, just a few yards away, but they couldn't get the gazebo out of the shot (and maintain a "woodsy" feel). Finally, the filming was called off, the buck was shot under the gazebo.

I 100% dislike the shooting of breeder bucks and having to hear someone brag about it. Lame.

Posted By: westtex75

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/20/10 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
So what do you guys think about that show called, " On your own adventures"? I think the guys name is Randy and he only hunts public land. You guys like that kind of show or only the bigguns getting slaughtered? I prefer the d-i-y show but my brother in law says, "He never kills anything big" so he hates it. Your thoughts???

yep I like this one........and cameron haynes is watchable.

Posted By: o2bwest

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 01:08 AM

Gary Roberson is filming the first season of his new show now. It is called Carnivore and will be on Pursuit in 2011. It will not be your typical hunting show. Gary is a world class predator man and that's what his show is all about. Heres the link to the trailer http://www.vimeo.com/11564449 .

Posted By: MogulRanch

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 01:39 AM

Jack Brittingham used to be on TV and his shows are great because he is actually intelligent. If you want to watch something then go ahead and get his DVDs he is a Texas hunter that has ranches in East Texas and South Texas but he hunts all over the country/world

Posted By: retfuz

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 02:46 AM

Stompy nailed it. Just infomercials, and most of them shot from inside high fence zoos.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 03:08 AM

That's why I like Jimmy Big Time. His show is not one big infomercial and yes it is stupid because...it's supposed to be stupid. It's nothing but a "comedy" show and mixed in with all the "serious" hunting show infomercials, I think it's refreshing and cool. I'm big into all types of comedy and I just got his best of season 1 DVD in the mail. It was $9.99 with free shipping from his website. Can't wait to watch it.

Posted By: MogulRanch

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 04:33 AM

Maybe my humor is a bit different but it has seem that all of the "comedy" hunting shows/tv I've seen are all slapstick humor and it takes away from the actual validity of the hunt itself. What is his style like?

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by AllenTAMU
Maybe my humor is a bit different but it has seem that all of the "comedy" hunting shows/tv I've seen are all slapstick humor and it takes away from the actual validity of the hunt itself. What is his style like?

You probably won't like it then....there's no valid hunting or fishing on his show. He acts like he's the end all be all of outdoor show hosts when all he is, is a big goober but it's all scripted. It is what it is.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: RobertYuras

I 100% dislike the shooting of breeder bucks and having to hear someone brag about it. Lame.

i would support a ban on shooting deer raised in pens for the purpose of hunting them.

I rode around with a whitetail breeder, who had a select group of clients who purchased deer ranging from 150 up to over 200 i believe. he had a 200 acre pasture that he would release these deer in, that was pretty much like a park, where everything else was killed off except for maybe a doe or two they could't get.

this guy would release these deer, then sit with the hunters and "guide" them to their prize.

he was sitting there in the truck telling me this like it was a great adventure, he said, man, you can't believe the adrenaline rush you get from seeing a 200 in deer comming into the feeder.

he was bumfuzzled at the fact that i kept disagreeing with him, saying I could never shoot a deer that was raised in a pen its whole life then stick it up on the wall and brag to my buddies about it.

I am all for high fences and management of a place, but that is going WAY to far imo. If i ever get to old to hunt anything other than a breeder buck, then i'm to old to hunt.

Posted By: t george

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: AllenTAMU
Jack Brittingham used to be on TV and his shows are great because he is actually intelligent. If you want to watch something then go ahead and get his DVDs he is a Texas hunter that has ranches in East Texas and South Texas but he hunts all over the country/world

went to high school with his son and daughter... They seem to genuinely love hunting, They do hunt on some hi fence places, but weather the hunt is good or bad for them doesn't seem to depend on what was killed...

Posted By: Curtis

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 03:49 PM

Curly, that looks more like a comedy show than a hunting show kind of deal. I have never seen that guys show before. Then again, I dont really watch a lot of the hunting shows at all. I will go to youtube and see some of the generic stuff on there. I get more enjoyment out of the stuff on there seeing people just showing basic raw footage of their own personal hunts. It seems more real to me most of the time.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 04:16 PM

I once saw a DVD I think it was at Academy a couple of years ago that was made up of nothing but folks who had sent in homemade videos of their deer hunts. From what it looked like on the back of the DVD box, there wasn't many "trophy" bucks taken on it but to me, that made the DVD look really cool. I wish I had bought it. I haven't seen it since.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 04:23 PM

Have a buddy that's got a really nice HF place. Huge deer - have taken a couple 200" bucks.

They get calls from those shows all the time asking to shoot their best deer in exchange for "free advertising". To date, I believe their response has been a laugh and a "click".

Most of them are complete crocks.

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 04:56 PM

There are a few Good shows, although I can't stand Big Time. Yes I watch The Crush, but only because my daughter likes it, because there is a girl hunter on it. And if Tiffany being on TV makes the sport more attractive to women, then I am all for it.
I like "The Professionals", "Tracks Across Africa", "Best of the West", and several others.
My favortie is the Duck Commander show, considering the first hunting vidoes I ever saw back in the days of VHS was theirs. They crack me up.

Posted By: Ed Lingenfelter

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

I liked the show when I could get it. He strikes out like most hunters.

Posted By: KBTXHunter

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 06:01 PM

I like Eastman's Hunting Journal and RMEF's show that Cameron Haynes hosts. It's mostly Western big game, but at least it's fair chase, and they usually have the shooter and the animal in the same camera shot when the animal is taken.

Posted By: Texas Heat

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 06:32 PM

I hate Jimmy bigtime, that show is terrible IMO. Love Uncle Ted though, the guy is a trip! And even if he is fake like some of you say, he is still doing ALOT for hunters and gun owners period.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 06:41 PM

Eastmans and the Huntin' Fool dvds when they come out.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 06:44 PM

Im a big Ted Nugent fan. His music and his show. Im just curious here....why do yall think he is a fake?

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeHoncho
Im a big Ted Nugent fan. His music and his show. Im just curious here....why do yall think he is a fake?

popcorn

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 07:01 PM

Is Ted fake? I don't know, I've never met the guy. But I can tell ya this, he's a DB. Has he made up for what he did? No. Will he ever? That's not for me to say, I'll leave that decision for the vets that took his place because he was too busy gettin' rich.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 07:01 PM

mystical flight of the arrow....blood brothers....the spirit of the beast, long live the beast. Reminds me of a hippie whose brain is fried. I don't even hear great drunken philosophers drag out things like he does..imho, he just likes to hear himself talk.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Tony
Is Ted fake? I don't know, I've never met the guy. But I can tell ya this, he's a DB. Has he made up for what he did? No. Will he ever? That's not for me to say, I'll leave that decision for the vets that took his place because he was too busy gettin' rich.

I just get confused thinking about those vets he screwed over by dodging the draft compared to the disabled ones is taking hunting now. Oh well, it's not for me to decide anyway.

Posted By: redmist220

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 07:22 PM

Saw him at a fund raiser in Crawford a few years ago . I happen to be outside smoking a cig , when he walked buy and told me that smoking was bad for me and i need to stop . But i happen to catch one of his shows the other day were he has a big o cigar in his mouth . Is he fake you damn right he is . I would like to see him explain the reasons he didn't go fight to my dad and the rest of the Vets . Even his wife is fake , old lady trying to be young again , she looks like a crow danced all over her face with all them wrinkles . Ok that is all sorry !!!

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/21/10 07:56 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

I never knew about the draft dodging incident. Not tryin to get everyone all riled up, i was just curious.

All i know about the guy is he made some awesome music back in the day (IMO), he is a helluva guitar player, and he is entertaining on his show. A lot of his hunting endeavors and how he relates it to spiritualism, i certainly can relate to, because i do the same thing. Although i am not nearly as outspoken about it.

As far as the draft dodging, well, im not one to judge. I dont know what his reasoning was. I can see that some of you dont like him for that, and i completely understand that.

Anyways, not trying to start a debate or anything. Just my 2cents

Posted By: Gators2561

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/22/10 12:16 PM

Man I never knew this many "hunters" wouldn't like Nugent man that guy may say some goofy stuff but he is all for the hunters. He has turned to ways to make money off of it though but don't blame him. If you watch his early years he is in cheap homemade stands without any camo. But he is awesome for the sport. Him and Waddel are the two best all around sportsman in the woods that are on TV IMO they respect their game and alway, always, talk about eating it. That is key to me! The Duck commanders is a great show. If you havent seen it your missing out.

Posted By: jeffnsa

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/22/10 12:45 PM

i have to record gone country with christy lee cook for my 10 yr old daughter but she is definetly easy on the eyes, i love tred barta shows. it was a great show that he often failed in his quest for a certian hunt.

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/22/10 01:44 PM

I was wathing the last epsidoe of "The Professionals" last night. In Jim's closing he addressed the concern that people have over every show being a big commercial. He defended the point well, that outdoor networks don't have the budgets that other networks do and the only thing that keeps them on the air is product placement and commercials. Come to think about it he is right, other than a few non-hunting companies you don't see coke or beer commercials or any of the big ticket commercials between shows that keep other networks afloat.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/22/10 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

mystical flight of the arrow....blood brothers....the spirit of the beast, long live the beast. Reminds me of a hippie whose brain is fried. I don't even hear great drunken philosophers drag out things like he does..imho, he just likes to hear himself talk.

this is what does it for me.

I've killed enough animals, to know that each one has a life force and is to be respected,but there isn't anything "magical" about the animal. just flesh and blood and bone and a will to live.

he makes its sound like a fairy tale.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/22/10 02:18 PM

All while he's hunting at the YO ranch.

He's ridiculous.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/22/10 03:30 PM

there isn't anything "magical" about the animal.

There is nothing "magical" about the animals. But what is Ted Nugent's driving force for hunting and making his show the way it is, is "spiritual." 2 completely different things. This is a reason why many of us hunt. For some folks, hunting is more than just killing a trophy, or the harvesting of meat, it a necessity for the well being of one's spirit.

Ted Nugent just gets really into it.

Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/22/10 08:53 PM

I like "On Your Own Adventures". Excellent show. It's not one big hunting infomercial like most shows, and not a rock music video with hot babes hunting (not that I don't like hot babes). More down home hunts with average guys planning good hunts on public land. The elk hunt in Colorado gave me some ideas on my next elk hunt.

Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/22/10 09:18 PM

Bunch of fake freakouts on Broll after the animal has already been taken...

Also dont forget to keep whispering even after you have made the shot!!!

Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/22/10 09:20 PM

Say what you want about Nuge but he has done all he can to support gun ownership rights continuing the tradition of hunting.

Re: Man I'm gettin sick of these hunting shows - 09/22/10 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: txbobcat
Also dont forget to keep whispering even after you have made the shot!!!

The hunting show whispering drives me insane........

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum