Texas Hunting Forum

Copenhagen?

Posted By: Cborden

Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 03:17 PM

I have always dipped while in stand..Do you or don't you?

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 03:18 PM

I did up until I quit.

Posted By: tgammon

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 03:51 PM

do it everytime just wish i never put that first one in

Posted By: don k

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 04:04 PM

I used to until it burned a hole in my lip. Scared me so bad it made it easier to quit. That stuff is bad.

Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 04:06 PM

I quit 6 months ago but yes I did dip all the time in the stand and no it does not hurt your hunting.

Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 05:10 PM

Before I quit, I did everything with a dip of Hagen!!! Two can a day habit for me...

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 05:13 PM

I completely understand..Hopefully someday I can kick this crappy habit..Just wondering if people thought it affected what they could see in the woods..

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 05:21 PM

I've literally spit on some deer through the bottom gaps of my climber. They would make a cpl of hops and look around.

Posted By: schuler23

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 06:59 PM

hahahaha funny stuff right there!!!!!^^^^^^^

Posted By: StoneyLarue13

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 07:05 PM

my google search for copenhagen just led to a suggested search of tobacco which went to mouth cancer.... i may throw up....

Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 07:15 PM

I think everyone would quit if they could have seen a coworker of mine after his first operation due to chewing and dipping. He was a horrible thing to look at and he knew it. He worked about 6 months before his 1st reconstruction surgery and made sure everyone knew what caused it and that they had a very good look at what could happen. He had 2 different surgerys when I retired and needed at least 2 more. We all think we are indestructable when we are 25-30 but by the time we reach 50+ we suddenly realized we are not but it is too late and we can't undo what has happened.

Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 07:59 PM

If I'm awake I'm dipping! Unless I'm sleeping in my stand there's a dip in my mouth!

Posted By: cable

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 08:04 PM

^^^^^ not good amigo, been off the snuff for 3 months.

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/24/10 08:41 PM

i have been doing it for 8 years its a bad habit

Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/25/10 12:41 AM

Yep, when go I've got one in. Been doing it for at least 10 years and wished I had never started. Quit last year for 61 days and the 61st day was as hard as the first. 21 days to make a habit and 21 days to break a habit didn't work for me.

Posted By: ETXbuckman

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/25/10 01:32 AM

I may be wrong but since everything seems to cause cancer these days I always keep the "everything in moderation" mantra in mind. If you dip every second of every day, yes, I'm sure your odds of having an issue are much greater but a dip every once in a while wouldn't be terrible I wouldn't think. No more than ice cream and greasy cheeseburgers anyway.

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/25/10 02:39 AM

Hate to see this thread has turned into a anti-dipping conversation..I was just curious if anyone thought that it had a negative effect on their hunt...But by no means get me wrong..I would quit in a heartbeat if I could..I have dipped since I was a kid and although I only go through a can ever 3 or 4 days..I can't function without it..

Posted By: kdub

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/25/10 02:49 AM

I've got a dip in my mouth in the pic with me and my buck from last season in my sig. line. I don't think it matters.

On a side note, who likes the copenhagen wintergreen? I used to switch between it and the long cut, but now its my go to.

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/25/10 02:58 AM

it has never affected my hunting, i dip grizzly long cut natural flavor

Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/25/10 04:18 AM

i just say no...........

Posted By: love texas hogs

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/25/10 07:30 AM

Try to keep as many smells out of the woods as you can, but I have had a dip in everytime to the stand and it has not seemed to affect my hunting. I would recommend not spitting though. I don't think that that would even scare deer off completely, but it lets them know that someone is around.

Posted By: Stompy

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/25/10 02:40 PM

I dip in the stand, tried to quit several times just haven't been able to yet. I will one of these days I hope..Tough habit to stop for me.

Posted By: kilt it

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/26/10 12:31 AM

to answer the question, i've shot deer with and without a chew.
got to admit, horrible habit, and the wife hates it, but

IT TASTE SOOO GOOOD

phewit....ding

Posted By: Lazy L

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/26/10 04:05 PM

I always dip in the stand and have had no problems with spooking deer, I feel it helps me just like I couldnt throw or hit a baseball correctly if I didn't have one in haha! But I would love to quit but when I get it for free it makes it way to hard. Just got 12 free rolls this weekend so...........on and on we go.

Posted By: Kory

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/26/10 06:14 PM

On, aug 2nd of this year will be the 6mo mark of me quiting. I have always dipped in the stand and this year will be very interesting to me on weather or not i can sit there for several hrs without dipping, but i never even carried a bottle w/ me to spit in, or pee in. I have had deer walk up and smell where ive pissed and spit but never had it spook one.

Posted By: Chief Wang

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/26/10 07:37 PM

the wintergreen is just nasty tasting to me now i started with grizzly wintergreen but now the smell just turns me off of it Copenhagen LongCut Original is the way to go!

Posted By: JJHunts

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/26/10 08:41 PM

If you dip a natural flavor like original cope I don think it hurts. I have had deer smell where I have been spitting and not bother them at all while bow-hunting.

On another note, after 14 years of dipping a can a day today is day 3 without a dip. I am using these little flavored nicoine lozenges from wal-mart and they really help. Tried to quit numerous times before and this seems to be a little easier.

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/26/10 09:14 PM

Congrats JJ..Hopefully oneday I will be able to call myself an ex..

Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/26/10 09:50 PM

I've been dipping for over years (or since the age of 8), just a bit at first, but at least a can per day since 1985 and 2 cans per day for probably the last decade. Quit once for about 6 months in the early 90's, went on a hunting trip with buddies, made it throught he whole weekend, then was driving home, dead-tired, saw a can a buddy left in my car, thought "just one to get me through this last hour on the road", and you know the rest.

I was really starting to think about quitting again about a year ago. Just figuring that I spend about $3,700 per year on it kind of drives you nuts. Putting that money in a piggy-bank and I could take a really nice trip somewhere.

Then one day I'm playing in a golf tournament and get paired with a guy I didn't know. Talking on the first hole, he tells me he's an oral surgeon. We get to the 2nd tee box and he pops a dip in his mouth. Needless to say, I was a bit shocked.

I questioned him about it, and well, I'll just tell you that the answer I was given sure didn't help my desire to quit dipping. I'll just say that from what I've been able to find out, from talking with him, reading studies, and talking to other doctors, those stickers are on the sides of that can of Copenhagen because of law suits, not medical studies.

Sure doesn't mean there aren't health risks and it's by no means healthy. You can get some forms of cancer from it, but it's never been proven that someone lost their jaw because they used smokeless tobacco. Fact is, the cases are just so rare it's hard to have a conclusive study.

I still wish I would have never started dipping and whenever I see a kid dipping, I encourage them to stop before it's too late.

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/26/10 10:13 PM

Kennylee I had a very similiar run in..I have never met anyone that has had serious medical issues do to snuff..33 now and I have dipped everyday since I would say 15...If I'm awake and I'm not drinking or eating I have a dip in..Even last year I was in a groundblind and had a very young 10pt stick his head in to take a look so I do not believe it hurts the hunt I was just wondering about others thoughts as to if they thought it did..About my run in with my dentist..He also dipped snuff and said he had for years and that fact is that its similiar to drinking soda..He said that studies have shown that snuff is 75% sugar and thats what makes it so addicting..I am in no way saying there aren't health risks but I have yet to meet anyone that has had health issues because they dipped snuff..And I also give your advise to any kid I see dipping..

Posted By: flbuckhunter

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/27/10 05:05 AM

I have been doing it for years and have never seen any direct effects on my hunting success.

Posted By: Driller

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/27/10 05:38 AM

I gave it up.

Posted By: bowman45

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/27/10 05:45 AM

Use to dip grizzly wintergreen until they came out with copenhagen wintergreen.Doesnt bother deer at all IMO.Dip 1 can every 3or4 days

Posted By: bowman45

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/27/10 05:46 AM

How do you get it for free.Share the wealth.

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/27/10 06:37 AM

i dip in the stand and pee out the door, never had any problems.

Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/27/10 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: bowman45
Use to dip grizzly wintergreen until they came out with copenhagen wintergreen.Doesnt bother deer at all IMO.Dip 1 can every 3or4 days

Grizzly- barf

Quit more than 3 years ago.

I never worried about the smell when hunting- but the movement associated with geting a clear spit to the ground-that was back in the days when always hunting in ladder or tree stands that weren't like Jerry Jones' sky boxes......

Posted By: Lazy L

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/27/10 04:23 PM

I use to dip cope until it got so high in price it was rediculous. Grizzly is the closest tasting snuff that is affordable.

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/27/10 09:19 PM

when i was in the navy we used to be able to get cans of grizzly on the ship for 50 cents a can. It did good when i was out of cope.

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/28/10 02:13 AM

Used to do it all the time until I figured out I was spending $1,300.00 a year on it; it never did bother the deer from a blind but every time I want a pinch of snuff I throw $5 in a old 5gal water jug and thats the elk hunting fund I have started.

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/28/10 02:27 AM

I understand Deewayne...For all of my twenties I drank like a fish and one day I sat down and did the math and that was enough to pretty much make me quit..15 dollars a day,everyday for 12years..Both snuff and beer is one expensive habit..

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/28/10 02:43 AM

I've dipped Copenhagen for 32 years. In the blind, it's no problem. Got to do somethin' with all them C'mere Cow jugs. Great place to throw my blow rags too. Heck my wife uses my spit jugs for an ashtray. I kinda frown on that 'cause I don't smoke. But hey, if Mamma aint happy aint nobody happy right? Hehehe

Posted By: LAstrutter

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/28/10 03:15 AM

I quit chewing cold turkey 15 years ago and have never went back. I was tempted the first few years, but now I don't even consider chewing. I wanted to keep my teeth. When I did chew, I did so while hunting. I never spit on the ground though. Always had a spit bottle with me when hunting. I still killed deer when I was chewing though.

Posted By: Teal28

Re: Copenhagen? - 07/28/10 05:04 PM

Here you go!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK2WEPdbmUc

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum