Texas Hunting Forum

Cover scent

Posted By: Bubbamaniac

Cover scent - 06/16/10 05:40 PM

What cover scent is the best.

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Cover scent - 06/16/10 05:56 PM

Real cedar branches if you have cedars in the area.

Posted By: jdw

Re: Cover scent - 06/16/10 08:40 PM

coon urine

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Cover scent - 06/16/10 08:48 PM

I've used severl kinds of cover scents including skunk.

For the last 10 years I've used none and smoke while in the stand... those years have been as good or better than the years I did use cover scents.

So I vote none.

Posted By: dkershen

Re: Cover scent - 06/16/10 11:03 PM

I've had good luck with fox pee. But then again it could be that I'm just an awesome hunter.

Or it coulda been the fox pee.

Posted By: azcoyote

Re: Cover scent - 06/17/10 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY
I've used severl kinds of cover scents including skunk.

For the last 10 years I've used none and smoke while in the stand... those years have been as good or better than the years I did use cover scents.

So I vote none.

x2 - Except for the smoking part!!! Hunt The Wind!!!

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Cover scent - 06/17/10 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Bubbamaniac
What cover scent is the best.

Hai Karate

Posted By: kuntry_kid

Re: Cover scent - 06/17/10 12:40 PM

I use Scent Killer, Earth Scent. Scent free clothes wash, earth scent dryer sheets and earth scent spray in the field.

Of course, whether cover scent works or not will always be disagreed upon. I feel better by using something.

Posted By: Omaney

Re: Cover scent - 06/17/10 01:54 PM

Cedar...

Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Cover scent - 06/17/10 02:30 PM

IMO I don't think it actually helps if you are hunting big deer. It may help you see more deer more often but when that buck of a lifetime shows up there are so many other factors that have to be in place in order to be successful.

I use it most of the time but I killed the biggest deer of my life my daughter was in the pop up blind with me and I just let her pee in the corner.

Posted By: kuntry_kid

Re: Cover scent - 06/17/10 03:57 PM

In those many factors, wouldn't scent be one of them?

Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Cover scent - 06/17/10 04:08 PM

Cedar oil is very good for deer as it put it directly on my clothing so it is always there. For predators, especially coyotes, I like skunk but tough to handle so I just play the wind.
By the way, the cedar oil I use and make has other ingredients as true cedar oil by itself has very little odor.
Adios,
Gary

Posted By: huntindude

Re: Cover scent - 06/17/10 06:19 PM

cow manure. step in it on the way out to the stand. if you have cows.

Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: Cover scent - 06/18/10 02:01 PM

i spray close boots hair hat etc with scent killer 99% before leaving house and then I have my own homemade cedar mix i spray down with at intervals during hunt. both for hogs and deer

ac

Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Cover scent - 06/18/10 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: kuntry_kid
In those many factors, wouldn't scent be one of them?

Yes one of many but more importantly is playing the wind. If the wind is played correctly then cover scent becomes less important.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Cover scent - 06/18/10 03:01 PM

Siberian Tiger urine scares the tar out of deer.

Don't use it.

Seriously though, I think those of you that walk around in cow manure before getting in your stands have had a fast one pulled on you by your friends.

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Cover scent - 06/18/10 03:12 PM

I just buy the cover up scent from wally world

Posted By: preston629

Re: Cover scent - 06/18/10 04:30 PM

i smoke before i get int he blind then kinda spray myself with that carbon scent junk, never had a problem

Posted By: Armadillo Tacos

Re: Cover scent - 06/18/10 06:37 PM

I used the Skunk Urine. Put a drop on each boot. Never had a problem being winded by deer. Just be sure to leave your boots outside of the cabin.

Posted By: jdw

Re: Cover scent - 06/18/10 08:51 PM

cedar will work as mentioned but i would think it might spook deer in areas that dont have cedar. it would be new smell.

Posted By: HR3

Re: Cover scent - 06/18/10 09:15 PM

you know it depends on the area you hunt; if you hunt heavily pressured deer, you might wanna have a scent elimination system in place using scents natural to the area....scentlock suits,earth scent spray and fresh dirt...usually pull up a local plant or two and dust lightly or crumble up pine needles and rub all over......just my 2cents....have had deer come within feet of me while I was sitting on the ground and I could smell the oil I used to clean my gun,deer didn't seem to smell it...go figure

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Cover scent - 06/18/10 09:28 PM

I've smelled that earth scent cover spray and it sure don't smell like the dirt where I hunt. I think it may spook deer, because it is not natural to the area. I try to use stuff I find in the area.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum