Texas Hunting Forum

East Texas Black Bear

Posted By: Armadillo Tacos

East Texas Black Bear - 06/12/10 10:26 PM

CLARKSVILLE — Before hunting season began, Don "Dink" Benton set up a motion sensor camera on his east Texas ranch to learn what kind of deer roamed his land along the Oklahoma border. What he saw as he went through the pictures was a shock: a black bear exploring a feeder, then investigating the camera.

http://heraldbanner.com/local/x93711416/2-p-m-Friday-Bears-lumbering-back-into-east-Texas

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: East Texas Black Bear - 06/12/10 10:43 PM

That's cool.

Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: East Texas Black Bear - 06/13/10 01:02 AM

Several sighting this year in the northern part of the county near the river.

There has also been some confimed sightings in the eastern part of the county near Avery.

I even had some jake leg tell me he saw a bear in the western part of the county about a mile from my house. That one is unconfirmed grin

Posted By: retfuz

Re: East Texas Black Bear - 06/13/10 03:48 AM

They're coming up from Mexico, too. One was shot in Menard Co. last year.

Posted By: jdw

Re: East Texas Black Bear - 06/14/10 05:25 AM

hopefully there wont be any ignorant A@@holes that will shoot them. thats cool and i hope the population comes back so we can hunt them again with bag limits and seasons of course! but its been almost 60 years and they still havent recovered. it is one great animal that has been lost in our state.

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: East Texas Black Bear - 06/14/10 06:19 PM

I've got mixed feelings about bears. They're basically a 300 lb coon. Just imagine what one can/will do to a feeder.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: East Texas Black Bear - 06/14/10 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Hayraker
Several sighting this year in the northern part of the county near the river.

There has also been some confimed sightings in the eastern part of the county near Avery.

I even had some jake leg tell me he saw a bear in the western part of the county about a mile from my house. That one is unconfirmed grin

We heard of one being sighted along the Sulphur River about 4 miles east of Rivercrest schools

Posted By: CSF

Re: East Texas Black Bear - 06/14/10 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: retfuz
They're coming up from Mexico, too. One was shot in Menard Co. last year.

dang illegals!

Posted By: Kiko-G

Re: East Texas Black Bear - 06/15/10 01:43 PM

I don't think the East Texas/ Oklahoma population traveled form Mexico. Althouth Mexico has a huge black bear population because the laws that portect them are very tuff... A buddy of mine hunts Lampazos, Nuevo Leon Mex and says that "the bear at his ranch own the feeders and the cougars the deer".

Posted By: westtex75

Re: East Texas Black Bear - 06/15/10 05:09 PM

head one hr. north of clarksville, tx up into the kiamichi and ouchita mountains and black bear sightings are fairly routine. Ark. and oklahoma both have limited bear seasons.

Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Re: East Texas Black Bear - 06/15/10 05:35 PM

I have seen pictures off game cameras from teh Jacksonville area that had a Decent Sized black Bear, and one was hit by an 18 wheeler outside quitman about 10 years ago.

Posted By: TxAggie10

Re: East Texas Black Bear - 06/15/10 05:43 PM

Ive heard rumor of a bear being killed in Mills County last year too.....but doubt that happened.

I have some friends in Clarksville and have heard these bear stories for a while now.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum