Texas Hunting Forum

5 acres

Posted By: michael rice

5 acres - 03/19/10 04:06 PM

i know 5 acres is too small to rifle hunt what a bout a bow or muzzle loader or hand gun

Posted By: bigtuna

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 04:08 PM

definitely bow, handgun probably, muzzle loader no go IMO

Posted By: Justin T

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 04:12 PM

You better get to know the adjacent landowners. You will likely have to track your deer to their land.

Posted By: BAR940

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 04:20 PM

I hunted on my parents 10 acres this past season with a 7mag. Killed a decent 8 point and a doe and numerous hogs.

Posted By: notamtchance

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin T
You better get to know the adjacent landowners. You will likely have to track your deer to their land.

X2 and if you or shooting a gun you might want to be aware of their property. To make sure they do not have something that a miss might hit.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 04:36 PM

u can hunt five acres, u just have to pay attention to which direction u are shooting, use to hunt out at my parents house all the time (6.5 acres). get u an elevated blind, and know which ways u can shoot. it all depends on how ur land is layed out.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 04:44 PM

Bow only or I would also pray for no misses and no ricochets.

Posted By: okietex

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 05:09 PM

depends on the land

Posted By: poisonivie

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 06:44 PM

It's doable. Just have to be certain where a bullet will go in the case of a miss or passthru. Also have to have the sense to pass on some shots.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 08:09 PM

Isn't it illegal to shoot a gun on less than 10 acres? Or is that only within the city limits?

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 08:11 PM

I think thats just within city limits

Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 08:14 PM

I believe that is correct. You can shoot a shotgun and a 22 on less that ten but for the bigger calibers I think you have to have even more land. There is some other regulation too. I have it at home printed out but can't remember. I have a neighbor who complains if he hears a pop gun. Of course I own enough that he just has to complain can't do anything else

Posted By: BackWoodBubba

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 08:23 PM

I wouldn't think 5 acres is too small. Just your location is going to have to be key.

Posted By: notamtchance

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 09:00 PM

I know for a fact, that within Denton city limits you have to have a min of 10 acres to shoot a gun on. I do not know if it has to be larger or not for a rlfle. Out side of city limits it does not matter as long as you bullet does not cross property lines without the other property owners ok.

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 10:26 PM

How do you keep a bow shot deer on 5 acres consistently? Rifle shot deer can run 50 to 100 yards easy when hit in the heart.

You are going down in acres? Why not spend a bit more and get on a big place?

Re: 5 acres - 03/19/10 11:44 PM

250.00 for 5 acres in llano tx

Posted By: pig out

Re: 5 acres - 03/20/10 12:54 AM

why not use a shotgun with buck shot or slugs. that's what i would do.

Re: 5 acres - 03/20/10 01:53 AM

can i use a shot gun

Posted By: SmithR

Re: 5 acres - 03/20/10 01:57 AM

yep

Posted By: Texas Proud

Re: 5 acres - 03/20/10 02:02 AM

Use a .223 or .22-250 and go for the head/ neck. They will DRT and no tracking will be needed or bother the neighbors. smile

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: 5 acres - 03/20/10 02:03 AM

There is no law regarding shooting a rifle on small property, unless it is in the city limits and/or it is restricted property. I've hunted quite a bit on a 7 acre piece of property we own and have done quite well.

My advise would be to get up high and set up a feeder where you can safely shoot a good caliber rifle, like a .270 or whatever you would normally hunt deer with. Then when you do decide to shoot a deer, shoot it straight thru both shoulders a tad higher than half way up the body. This will break the scapula/spine and will drop them every single time.....guaranteed.

I would never bow hunt on 5 acres.....the deer will almost certainly run off the property.

Re: 5 acres - 03/20/10 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Proud
Use a .223 or .22-250 and go for the head/ neck. They will DRT and no tracking will be needed or bother the neighbors. smile

And if you miss and the bullet crosses the fence line someone could die. Would that be manslaughter or murder?

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: 5 acres - 03/20/10 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
Isn't it illegal to shoot a gun on less than 10 acres? Or is that only within the city limits?

If that is a law... Ive broke it 928372623839237 times give or take one or two lol

Re: 5 acres - 03/20/10 03:47 AM

going to look at the place in the morning see what it looks like

Posted By: KOP

Re: 5 acres - 03/20/10 02:08 PM

I think you should hunt were ever you can and however you can. just be smart about it and dont show your hand. In other words try not to let your neighbors know what you are doing and be sure your are not shooting towards any ones house or vehicles.

Re: 5 acres - 03/20/10 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

And if you miss and the bullet crosses the fence line someone could die. Would that be manslaughter or murder?

there are tons of ways to make safe shots on 5 acres. if i was to hunt at my parents, i would set up so i was shooting toward our tank dam (its about 35 feet high) no bullet will escape when shooting that direction, hell, that is where i have my mini shooting range set up. Also, u can set up over a creek, u could build ur own berm, u just have to think it through and understand u might not be able to shoot some directions. and u can make urself not shoot those directions by closing up the windows in ur blind, putting ur blind next to a tree, etc, etc. five acres is a very huntable piece of property, depending on how you do it.

Re: 5 acres - 03/20/10 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A

there are tons of ways to make safe shots on 5 acres. if i was to hunt at my parents, i would set up so i was shooting toward our tank dam (its about 35 feet high) no bullet will escape when shooting that direction, hell, that is where i have my mini shooting range set up. Also, u can set up over a creek, u could build ur own berm, u just have to think it through and understand u might not be able to shoot some directions. and u can make urself not shoot those directions by closing up the windows in ur blind, putting ur blind next to a tree, etc, etc. five acres is a very huntable piece of property, depending on how you do it.

That is true, but how many people have a 35 foot berm on their 5 acre property? Most 5 acre properties are not huntable, imo.

Posted By: rsquared

Re: 5 acres - 03/20/10 07:55 PM

michael..

are these places providing a free hunting pasture for you?
i ask because if it is a family piece of land or a buddy's place, then by all means have at it and make the best you can with it. Free is Free. as a kid, we used to hunt deer in the subdivisions my dad was building before they got put up any houses.

but if you are paying for the right to hunt somewhere, i have to ask why are looking at all these small pieces of land. 5,10,15 acres.

you should be able to find affordable leases of greater size that are still reasonably close to austin.

i am not trying to tell you your business, just presenting the question.

Re: 5 acres - 03/20/10 11:14 PM

its 250.00 for 5 acres its only me so i dont need a lot plus im hoping to kill some thing big on a small acred land

Posted By: rsquared

Re: 5 acres - 03/21/10 01:05 AM

fair enough

Re: 5 acres - 03/21/10 05:30 AM

That is true, but how many people have a 35 foot berm on their 5 acre property? Most 5 acre properties are not huntable, imo.

also true, but a big berm like that is not necessary either, like i said, a creek bed, or even a small dam could be used. or if the property is a hill. five acres is a lot more land than people usually think.

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: 5 acres - 03/21/10 01:56 PM

are you buying or leasing?

Re: 5 acres - 03/21/10 04:20 PM

five acres is a lot more land than people usually think.

It is approximately 150 yards by 150 yards. I have yet to see a center fire bullet that did not easily exceed that distance, most are still deadly at over a 1000 yards. Accidents happen, even with the best intentions of using all of the best safety precautions can go wrong. Why take a chance?

Posted By: daulongranch

Re: 5 acres - 03/25/10 10:46 AM

Discharging Firearms Across Property Lines
Property owners and hunters alike should be aware of a change to Section 62.0121 of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code effective September 1, 2005. The new law makes it a Class C Parks and Wildlife misdemeanor to “knowingly discharge” a firearm while hunting or engaging in recreational shooting when the projectile travels across a property line. A Class C Parks and Wildlife misdemeanor is punishable by a fine not less than $25 or more than $500.

The discharge across a property line is permissible as long as the same person owns the property on both sides of the line or has written permission from the other owner to fire on, over or across the property. The written agreement must contain the following:

-- name of the person or persons allowed to hunt or engage in recreational shooting,
-- identification of the property on either side of the property line and
-- signature of the property owner whose land the projectile crosses.

Posted By: ccbaseball

Re: 5 acres - 03/25/10 12:41 PM

I would worry about it but at the same time not that much, just do the best you can, be safe, and hurry and obtain ur deer if it crosses boundaries or IF you think the neighbor would have a problem go get permission. I hunt on 20 acres, but all the adjoining tracts are landlocked and they never come down and they are relatives down the line. I shot a 137, 20 5/8 ten point on my 20 acres two years ago. And my area is not known for huge deer either. Amd also shot several 115-120's in the past years. Do the best you can to bring deer in to your little place, whethers its a feeder/minerals/water/cover. I would say use a bow if u have a legit heavily covered setup but if not maybe a shotgun/smaller caliber deer rifle JUST BE SAFE AND KNOW UR SURRROUNDINGS.!!!!!

Posted By: scott1071

Re: 5 acres - 03/25/10 02:00 PM

My dad and I hunted 6 acres in Jack County when I was a kid. It was basically a big hillside and a creek bottom. He had a rule that you could only shoot into the hill or the creek. The stand was between the two. He shot deer every year and twice I saw him let one walk because it was not in the right place. It can be done, with a higher caliber rifle, if the lay of the land allows.

Posted By: Nate76

Re: 5 acres - 03/25/10 06:22 PM

u can hunt five acres, u just have to pay attention to which direction u are shooting, use to hunt out at my parents house all the time (6.5 acres). get u an elevated blind, and know which ways u can shoot. it all depends on how ur land is layed out.

+1

an elevated blind would be important so that your bullet is traveling in a downward trajectory -- in theory, a miss or pass through would go into the dirt with an appropriate angle (unless a ricochet happens or something)

Posted By: da.wells

Re: 5 acres - 03/25/10 06:27 PM

get well elevated, shoot down, never flat and you should be fine.
in city limits ther are restrictions on land size but not in most counties out side the city limits,

i had a good experiance with that a few years ago

Posted By: maximum

Re: 5 acres - 03/25/10 06:46 PM

goes back to the ten commandments of shooting- know your
backstop,never point the muzzle of a gun at anything you
do not wish to shoot,etc.

I once read an article about hunting in Germany and they
told that you had to have a licensed guide with you,and
he called your shots,shots were only made from elevated
platforms,and the author could see high-rise buildings
in the city on the other side of the treeline.

common sense should keep you safe.
you likely don't need a Weatherby magnum to hunt such
a set-up. . .

Re: 5 acres - 03/26/10 04:05 AM

i can only use a shot gun or bow talked to a G w

Re: 5 acres - 03/26/10 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Nate76

+1

an elevated blind would be important so that your bullet is traveling in a downward trajectory -- in theory, a miss or pass through would go into the dirt with an appropriate angle (unless a ricochet happens or something)

Now doesn't that just make you feel safe.

Re: 5 acres - 03/26/10 04:53 AM

+1

the ricochet shouldnt go too far, too much energy would be lost.

Posted By: ccbaseball

Re: 5 acres - 03/26/10 12:44 PM

so I guess that answers the debate, you cannot shoot a high powered rifle on less then 10 acres? or what was the game wardens reasoning?

Re: 5 acres - 03/26/10 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ccbaseball
so I guess that answers the debate, you cannot shoot a high powered rifle on less then 10 acres? or what was the game wardens reasoning?

yes u can.... he must be in some special area

Posted By: Texasmech

Re: 5 acres - 03/28/10 01:59 PM

+1

the ricochet shouldnt go too far, too much energy would be lost.

x2....plus the bullet is usually tumbling after a ricochet

Posted By: Texasmech

Re: 5 acres - 03/28/10 02:01 PM

I thought the only restriction on land size was that you had to be sure a wounded animal would stay on your land. Or you had to have the adjacent land owners permission. I don't know if that's a law or just common sense, but that's the only "law" I've heard about land size

Re: 5 acres - 03/29/10 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: michael rice
i can only use a shot gun or bow talked to a G w

Well unless you're inside city limits, or in a somehow restricted area.....your GW is full of sh*t. There is no law that says that.

Re: 5 acres - 03/29/10 05:48 PM

we are in a small sub with 5 acres plots no fence

Re: 5 acres - 03/30/10 02:25 AM

Well that's probably the reason for no rifles.....

Re: 5 acres - 03/30/10 03:02 AM

yep

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum