Texas Hunting Forum

age ain't for sissies

Posted By: J.P. Greeson

age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 03:18 AM

Learned the meaning of that phrase and "stoved-up" for the first time in my life the last few days. Took down 3 big pines day-before-yesterday and moved them to 2 burn piles. Feeling the pain this evening. violin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 03:24 AM

Like the idea of using the burn pile as a fire pit. Keep up the physical work or you won't be able to!!

JR

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by jrgocards
Like the idea of using the burn pile as a fire pit. Keep up the physical work or you won't be able to!!

JR

That pit is about 12' wide.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 04:56 AM

I do stuff like that pretty much nonstop during February and March. I just got over in the last couple of weeks.
Posted By: Texas452

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 10:12 AM

I cut my own wood, and would enjoy doing it, but now not so much.
My back has gotten worse as I age and there’s nothing they can do about it.
I love burning wood for heat, I guess it’s just in me, I have two fireplaces in my house, one in one of my cabins and am in the process of putting one in my other cabin.
If my sons and grandsons can’t help me, I’ll hire someone to.
Posted By: Stub

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
Learned the meaning of that phrase and "stoved-up" for the first time in my life the last few days. Took down 3 big pines day-before-yesterday and moved them to 2 burn piles.

Feeling the pain this evening. violin

[Linked Image]

Great view up Guessing a cold one or two was in order while sitting by the fire?
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 12:57 PM

Hard but gratifying
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 01:00 PM

I changed out front brake pads and rotors recently. Hurt for 4 days after.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 01:14 PM

I’d like to clear out the rest of the cedars in my backyard, I’ll have to hire someone. Back when I had a bucket truck, and was younger, I trimmed my own trees. Son hated it, it looked like a tornado aftermath when I was finished. Took more work to do the clean up..
Posted By: 603Country

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 01:21 PM

I have at least 5 trees that need to be taken down as soon as this next rain session passes and the ground dries a bit. If it wasn’t for the new tractor and grapple, it would be extremely tough on me these days.

And I have a couple of large trees that Mother Nature has dropped on various roads in the woods. I dread having to do all that work, with it getting hotter and the skeeters being hungry.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 01:57 PM

roflmao

welcome to my world, got to keep it up or you will lock up.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 02:23 PM

My wife's dad is a 95 year old Marine. He has enjoyed doing about everything discussed here so far, and still does! salute They only did half of their usual giant garden this year.

In my sixties now, I was showing him a bad skin tear recently. He just grinned and said to get used to it.
Posted By: freerange

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Hard but gratifying

To paraphrase one of my favorite Hudism's-It's wonderful doing nothing after you've done everything.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 04:02 PM

I wheel barrowed 3 truckloads of rock for a previous work friend's landscape over 3 days, finishing Monday morning. My knees are barely holding me up even today.

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 04:18 PM

Last time I moved this kind of weight was a few years back setting 80 pound bags of concrete for a retaining wall. I set about 180 bags over a few days. I don't remember being in pain after that job.

roflmao
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 04:27 PM

I do all kinds of stuff at the ranch and rarely am in too much pain. I planted 3 little plants for the War Department last week here at home, replacing 3 that had died, so the holes were already essentially dug. Kneeled down on a pad. Back killed me for 3 days. 'Guess I'm gonna have to start doing geriatric stretching and exercising before I do the littlest thing from now on. It was last Saturday and all the neighbors were out working in their yards too. Maybe it was all psychological and I was depressed about being in suburbia. I miss ol' Bigfoot. rofl
Posted By: 71Rcode

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 04:33 PM

Man's work right there. Awesome. Keep it up! The older I get I refer to the pain afterward as feeling alive!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 04:42 PM

Working out and exercise really helps me with that.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Working out and exercise really helps me with that.

alka seltzer cold (fizzing tablets), bc arthritis powder, stir the bc in then add the other.

I do this every morning for arthritis pain and it makes the muscle aches and soreness not so bad.
Posted By: Guy

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 05:36 PM

Just know the limitations of your back is key.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 05:56 PM

[Linked Image]

Ya gotta know your limitations….no matter how old you are.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/26/24 08:02 PM

rofl
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: age ain't for sissies - 04/27/24 12:34 AM

I can no longer do that stuff. If I bend from the waist, I will hurt for days. Arthritis has me in the feet, legs, back and thumbs. I hate it. I’m about to spend too much money having 200 yards of fence built. I’ve built a lot of miles of it in my previous life. Can’t clear land, set posts and stretch wire without bending and hurting. I have a back brace that forces me to maintain good posture. 2 extra strength Tylenols 3 times per day.

I’m now 81 yoa and have out lived most of my cousins, younger brother and sister, and almost all of my high school friends. This wasn’t supposed to be part of the package. I figured to keep stomping my own snakes forever. To the younger members here, it’s going to hit you also. You just can’t imagine it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum