Texas Hunting Forum

explain "cookies" to me please

Posted By: Buzzsaw

explain "cookies" to me please - 04/03/24 05:18 PM

Whenever we click on any website, it asks about cookies. What exactly does this mean? what should you choose?
Thanks
Posted By: PMK

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/03/24 05:30 PM

Cookies are small pieces of text sent to your browser by a website you visit. They help that website remember information about your visit, which can both make it easier to visit the site again and make the site more useful to you.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/03/24 05:30 PM

No computer genius here, but my interpretation of computer cookies is that they do the same thing to computers as they do to humans. They make them fat, clog them up, and slow them down.

Posted By: Paluxy

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/03/24 05:48 PM

Read all about it Buzz. The Zombie cookies are going to get you.

https://usa.kaspersky.com/resource-center/definitions/cookies
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/03/24 05:58 PM

If you accept too many cookies on your computer, you can fix it by running a Mounjaro disk roflmao
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/03/24 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
If you accept too many cookies on your computer, you can fix it by running a Mounjaro disk roflmao

bang
Posted By: PMK

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/03/24 07:50 PM

you can clear browsing history including cookies from time to time to help not clog up your computer
Posted By: syncerus

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/03/24 07:58 PM

Your browser uses a protocol called http to communicate with a web server. http is a stateless protocol which means each communication has no memory of previous communications. This creates many inconveniences and inefficiencies when it would be useful to carry over information, like your username, between exchanges. Cookies are as simple mechanism to proved state or context between communication sequences. They are small text blocks that browsers, web pages and servers can use to communicate back and forth.

Does that make sense? It's a very simplified version of what's happening, but it hits the high points.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/03/24 08:04 PM

I take it cookies are used to determine what ads and news articles appear on various webpages that I visit. If so, they can be used to identify that I'm a gun owning conservative, correct?
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/03/24 08:28 PM

Cookies can also work like a digital fingerprintt for forum mod sleuths.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/03/24 10:12 PM

Some women also refer to a cookie as a part of their anatomy.......
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/04/24 01:27 AM

From a business standpoint, it tells there’s what type of sites I frequent. It’s a marketing deal. From tracking “they” know that I frequent THF, TFF, Pond Boss and financial sites. I get spam based on those records. I understand it. It’s a business marketing tool.

Like the most famous line in the movie “The Godfather”; “Nothing personal. It’s just business.”.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/04/24 01:31 AM

Choose Incognito or InPrivate Window to avoid tracking between browsing sessions. "none of your browsing history, cookies and site data, or information entered in forms are saved on your device. "
Posted By: syncerus

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/04/24 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I take it cookies are used to determine what ads and news articles appear on various webpages that I visit. If so, they can be used to identify that I'm a gun owning conservative, correct?

Not exactly. Cookies are simply small data stores. The exact data is whatever the cookie writer finds useful. For most web sites, that might be your user name, and similar information. For a web ad network it will be a unique identifier and possibly behavioral information intended to predict to which ads you will watch or click. Like any useful mechanism, it can be abused, but there’s nothing inherently nefarious about cookies.
Posted By: Judd

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/04/24 10:27 PM

crumbl.com wink
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/04/24 11:05 PM

Cookies n Cream? That’s a long drive but I can recommend a few closer to home if you’d like? They can explain it weally weally guuuud flehan
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: explain "cookies" to me please - 04/04/24 11:25 PM

It really doesn't matter if you say/click "no."

These sites all remember us/our computers, and they stalk us!

...------
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum