Texas Hunting Forum

Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers

Posted By: Tru_texan36

Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/02/24 03:08 PM

It's time that we upgrade our mower.

We've been running Scag's for as long as I can remember. Great machines and we have never had any major issues. It seems that most other major brands have caught up in quality of build now - so which do you prefer? Scag, Exmark, Ferris, Gravely, Bad boy?

Specifically looking for a 52-60" cut with a strong engine.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/02/24 03:25 PM

Ferris would intrigue me for the supposed ride quality. Scag and Gravely have been the gold standard for quality for a long time.
Posted By: Sick Train

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/02/24 03:26 PM

I'd stick with Scag, however more importantly is making sure you have dealer support close to you.
Posted By: batman

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/02/24 04:09 PM

Can’t go wrong with Gravely.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/02/24 05:42 PM

The wife has a big commercial Ferris. She loves the soft ride, even when she’s mowing at rather high speed. Much smoother than the Exmark she had previously.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/02/24 06:10 PM

Wonder how many of those have the same components with different paint and name.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/02/24 06:15 PM

I'll have to stick with Scag. Been using them for over 20 years.

Currently running a 31hp Cheetah with 61" cut.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 68A

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/02/24 06:40 PM

I like my Kubota. Kinda like the older tacomas, not a bunch of bells and whistles but what it does, it does well. Most importantly, Kawasaki engine.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/02/24 07:56 PM

Bad boy isn’t even worth mentioning.
I run a gravely mach one, but Dixie chopper is what I may buy next. They are much easier to work on!
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/02/24 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 68A
I like my Kubota. Kinda like the older tacomas, not a bunch of bells and whistles but what it does, it does well. Most importantly, Kawasaki engine.

Yep, always had a 'Kaw' engine on every Scag I've owned. up
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/02/24 08:57 PM

Have had an Exmark with Kawasaki engine for many years. Mowing about 2 acres. I'd buy another Exmark, no complaints.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/03/24 01:23 AM

Ferris, I will buy another one if the one I have now wears out.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/03/24 03:59 AM

When did Toro fall from the top? I’ve been a Toro or Scag guy, but Gravely would get a second look from me.

Badboy isn’t even an option, Hustler would only get a consideration of the deal was great.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/03/24 05:49 AM

Kubota.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/03/24 10:42 AM

Kubota or SCAG.

Dad has a John Deere, the kind you get at the dealer. It's fine too (it's not one of the flimsy ones they sell at home improvement stores).
Posted By: glens

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/03/24 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by 68A

Glad yours cuts good, My Kubota Commercial ZD211 Diesel Zero Turn ( paid over $!0,000 bucks at the time) i bought several years ago cuts like crap unless you're right on the ground.. Set it 2" and looks like Chit. Oxner called um Streaks. Have been back to 2 different Kubota Dealers to adjust deck and put on new blades over the years. . Has about 60 hours on it. POS.

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/03/24 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by glens
Originally Posted by 68A

Glad yours cuts good, My Kubota Commercial ZD211 Diesel Zero Turn ( paid over $!0,000 bucks at the time) i bought several years ago cuts like crap unless you're right on the ground.. Set it 2" and looks like Chit. Oxner called um Streaks. Have been back to 2 different Kubota Dealers to adjust deck and put on new blades over the years. . Has about 60 hours on it. POS.

You want to part with it?

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/03/24 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 68A
Originally Posted by 68A

Make me an offer. Will get pics up. Looks like new.
chicken

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/04/24 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by 68A
Originally Posted by 68A

Make me an offer. Will get pics up. Looks like new.
chicken

Assuming it runs well and functions, I’d go 2k for the POS
Posted By: splash556

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/04/24 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by 68A

I like Kubota tractors, zero turn not so much. I bought one several ears ago. Basically would have to run over the grass at least twice for it to get a decent looking cut. First pass was always a mohawk look. Left high grass between the blade overlaps. Took it to the dealer. They tried to tweek it. Before I took it back, I made them prove to me that it worked in a vacant lot next to the dealership. Same issue. They blamed it on the Bahia. I asked them why they sold me a machine that could only cut some grass and not others. Deer in the headlights response. Ended up trading it in for a John Deere commercial unit. A lot better but still not perfect. Tried the ferris as well which I liked but didn't cut as well as the deere. None of them being perfect, I put it down to the 3 blade 72" deck size. Something about that............
Posted By: PMK

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/04/24 11:50 AM

$2100 ... up

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/04/24 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by PMK

$2100 ... up

Yeah Boys I'll let it sit before I subject anybody else to this no cutting POS! peep

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/04/24 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
When did Toro fall from the top? I’ve been a Toro or Scag guy, but Gravely would get a second look from me.

Badboy isn’t even an option, Hustler would only get a consideration of the deal was great.

Hustler was bought last year by Stanley/Black&Decker. My understanding is Hustler developed the ZTR. I own and use a 48" 2011 Fastrac model and a 2015 52" STX. Both Kawasaki engines but just know there are differing grades of Kawasaki engines. The SDX has a commercial FX (691) and the FasTrac uses an FS (651). The FS is the easiest starting small engine I've ever owned short of my Honda 300 4TRX ATV. The FX is stubborn when cold.

My son has a 60" 2017 model commercial Hustler mower, a Hyperdrive, with a B&S Vanguard 39hp that will go 16 mph. He fixed all that was worn on it. I think it had around 1500 hours when traded in to the shop he was working at. It is a total beast.

I would have suggested Hustler before the buyout by Stanley but they are an unknown quality now. The dealer where I bought mine and my son worked at is going to Dixie Chopper, one of the last family owned mower manufacturers.

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/04/24 12:56 PM

Oh, I own a Kubota tractor and wouldn't hesitate to buy their ZTR mower. Or a Ferris for the ride if the area you mow is a rougher surface. and then Dixie Chopper. For most people in residential situations any of the top brands will be fine. Let's say you mow 3 hours a week X 40 weeks (that's all but Dec., Jan., and Feb.) you're only putting 120 hours on your mower. That's nothing.

So you're interested in a serviceable mower ... hydraulic drive needs to be easily serviceable, blade mandrels easily serviceable, and a good air filter system (preferably commercial elements). Lifetime deck warranty should be a must too so that tells you the company builds a strong deck as they do take the most abuse of any part on the machine.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/04/24 12:59 PM

Another post reminded me, one of the biggest differences in commercial vs. res mowers is the Donaldson air filter housings. They block out dust and grit way better than the standard cartridge style filters.

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/04/24 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by PMK

$2100 ... up

Yeah Boys I'll let it sit before I subject anybody else to this no cutting POS! peep

[Linked Image]

ha ... but if you are interested in selling, come up with a reasonable price, my daughter/SIL are in the market for something like that.
Posted By: Tru_texan36

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 04/05/24 03:30 AM

Went back with a trusty Scag!

I just can’t break the habit lol. 52” with a Kawasaki engine! Let’s mow!

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/09/24 05:10 PM

bringing this back up ... my daughter & SIL got closed on their new place. Found them a good tractor (Kubota MX4700) but looks like they also need a Zero Turn for upkeeping the "yard" area, about 4-5 +/- acres, pretty smooth but growing like crazy.

this is way outside my wheel house, so coming to the THF brain trust ...

What size do ya'll think they need to go with, cutting size and engine size, preferred brands or ones to stay away from. Anything to watch out for on possibly buying used?
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/09/24 05:37 PM

I mow about 5 acres of yard here, scag turf tiger gets it done in about 2 hrs. if I just keep at it.

not cheap but for the size yard it is well worth the money, we had an exmark that was not as good as it was supposed to be, started mowing here with a jd yard tractor/48" and it was a major beating.

spend the money on the scag turf tiger/60", they are a beast in heavy stuff too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 71Rcode

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/09/24 05:55 PM

My buddy has a top of the line Stihl with full suspension. Thing is a beast

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/09/24 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
bringing this back up ... my daughter & SIL got closed on their new place. Found them a good tractor (Kubota MX4700) but looks like they also need a Zero Turn for upkeeping the "yard" area, about 4-5 +/- acres, pretty smooth but growing like crazy.

this is way outside my wheel house, so coming to the THF brain trust ...

What size do ya'll think they need to go with, cutting size and engine size, preferred brands or ones to stay away from. Anything to watch out for on possibly buying used?

I would recommend trimming the yard area down, no matter what mower, mowing a 5 acre yard SUCKS!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/09/24 06:31 PM

Pretty sure Ferris make the Stihl zero turns. That Ferris my wife has came with the soft suspension seat, coil springs at the corners and shock absorbers at the back end. Really expensive though. She can fly on that thing and never complains any more about rough ground like she did with the ExMark.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/09/24 07:00 PM

This is my 2018 Hustler Fastrak 54 with 200 hours on it. I just gave it a thorough going over and 200 hr. service and all that goes with it. Took deck off, cleaned underneath removed spindles and pulleys. Releveled deck with front of deck @1/4" lower than back. Sanded a few rusty spots and painted/ touched up with a Rust-Oleum paint. Mower has been great for my 2 acres and even tested it at the dear lease last year cutting dead winter rye that was probably 18" but it was laid down and dead by the end of summer. I haven replaced anything on it since new. Filters and fluids are all I have been out. If I were to buy another ZTR today, I would have to reevaluate all brands on how they are made today. Hustler, Gravely and Skaggs would be at the top of my list since dealers are nearby.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/09/24 07:54 PM

wow, some of those are "pricey"!!! any recommendations for something not quite as outrageously expensive that might work?

the 4-5 acres is what I think is the whole area, might be slightly less ... I think something like a 54" mid level ZT would likely work well but still take a few hours. I just don't see them dropping $10k plus on one.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/09/24 09:16 PM

tell them to buy a hustler. 50-60" with a kawasaki engine. least expensive good mower you can buy.

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/09/24 09:28 PM

Depending on the layout of the property, could get a finish mower to put on the tractor. Might leave a lot more weedeating to do though and won’t be as fast but it’ll be cheaper

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/10/24 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by 68A
Depending on the layout of the property, could get a finish mower to put on the tractor. Might leave a lot more weedeating to do though and won’t be as fast but it’ll be cheaper

LOL ... like the one I just sold in the classifieds ... the tractor is too heavy and would rut the yard area too much.

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/10/24 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Poppa

tell them to buy a hustler. 50-60" with a kawasaki engine. least expensive good mower you can buy.

will check into these, thanks!

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/10/24 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by TPACK
This is my 2018 Hustler Fastrak 54 with 200 hours on it. I just gave it a thorough going over and 200 hr. service and all that goes with it. Took deck off, cleaned underneath removed spindles and pulleys. Releveled deck with front of deck @1/4" lower than back. Sanded a few rusty spots and painted/ touched up with a Rust-Oleum paint. Mower has been great for my 2 acres and even tested it at the dear lease last year cutting dead winter rye that was probably 18" but it was laid down and dead by the end of summer. I haven replaced anything on it since new. Filters and fluids are all I have been out. If I were to buy another ZTR today, I would have to reevaluate all brands on how they are made today. Hustler, Gravely and Skaggs would be at the top of my list since dealers are nearby.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is what I have except it’s a newer year model. Blades and oil is all I’ve done so far but mine only has 60 hours… sand is hell on blades. It’s been to the ranch and mowed a mesquite bush or 100 too, I run over whatever it will go over.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/10/24 03:17 AM

I mow 4 acres...it sucks. ~ 3hrs. 61" Skag Turf Tiger II.

In my opinion, if you have that much lawn to mow don't skimp on the size or quality of the mower. In July and August when it seems like the temperature and humidity are fighting each other for the top spot you just want to get the job done asap.

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/10/24 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by PMK
Originally Posted by 68A

LOL ... like the one I just sold in the classifieds ... the tractor is too heavy and would rut the yard area too much.

Too heavy? Mine does work in the yard area every week with a brush hog on the back. My neighbor brings his 5608 through the yard every now and then. Ain’t nobody leaving ruts. Damn zero turn left worse ruts yesterday mowing than the tractor did going through the yard to brush hog the pasture.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/10/24 02:32 PM

Skag Turf Tiger 2 and mow 4 acers. If you have uneven areas or tight areas go with a 52" cut. I wanted the Cheeta 60" but dealer explained the details and glad I went with 52". I'll never mow as fast as the Cheeta can go so that selling point is moot. The big bad a$$ Turf tiger is just a beast and really for serious commercial work. Turf Tiger 2 has been great, 4 years running it.

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/10/24 02:57 PM

3 Hustlers on this property. My son (who worked on small engines and mowers for 2.5 years at a dealership, bought one of their trade-in commercial mowers , a 2017 Hyper drive with a 39hp B&S Vanguard . Quite a beast . Read about it

I have a 2015 SDX 54" (700 hrs) and a 2011 48" Fastrak (600hrs). Both are good mowers with Kawasaki motors. I will say the SDX has had to have the blade mandrels changed out and a new set of bearings on one of the front spinner wheels and that was disappointing.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Commercial Zero-Turn Mowers - 05/10/24 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
Originally Posted by Poppa

will check into these, thanks!

go to the dealers in your area and ask about trade ins/refurb models they may have or get. worth a shot if you want one of the good ones but not at retail. I am just glad the owners buy the equipment here.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum