Texas Hunting Forum

what type of loan?

Posted By: bigbob_ftw

what type of loan? - 03/26/24 05:16 PM

I need to take out a loan to remodel our bathroom and install a new fence. The house is paid for so my qestion, is there any difference in a personal loan or an equity line of credit? are the rates or repayment length different?
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: what type of loan? - 03/26/24 05:20 PM

I believe you can write off the interest on a HELOC loan...or at least you could at one time.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: what type of loan? - 03/26/24 05:26 PM

A personal loan is a single amount of money with fixed payments. A line of credit lets you get funds at different times but with variable rates.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: what type of loan? - 03/26/24 05:27 PM

Weigh the cost difference between a personal loan vs HELOC. Don’t let them talk you into a refi. HELOC has upfront fees and rates are 8-10% right now and they float with the market.

Depending on the total cost, you may look at a 0% interest credit card and just do a balance transfer every year to a new 0% interest card until it’s paid off.

Re: what type of loan? - 03/26/24 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Weigh the cost difference between a personal loan vs HELOC. Don’t let them talk you into a refi. HELOC has upfront fees and rates are 8-10% right now and they float with the market.

Depending on the total cost, you may look at a 0% interest credit card and just do a balance transfer every year to a new 0% interest card until it’s paid off.

not a bad idea. no way I refi, paid for is a great feeling.
Posted By: Jman

Re: what type of loan? - 03/26/24 05:34 PM

A HELOC allows you to write off the interest yes. Depending on how much you need, a home equity loan might make sense but would come with more costs up front than a personal loan. However, the rate would be lower than a personal loan and term more favorable in most instances.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: what type of loan? - 03/26/24 05:38 PM

I'm with BP; a bathroom and fence shouldn't be more than what...$30k. I would get a couple no interest CCs and what you can each month then balance transfer at the end of the zero interest period.

Re: what type of loan? - 03/26/24 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by TexFlip
I'm with BP; a bathroom and fence shouldn't be more than what...$30k. I would get a couple no interest CCs and what you can each month then balance transfer at the end of the zero interest period.

I figure it should be right around there. not looking for super fancy.
Posted By: Judd

Re: what type of loan? - 03/26/24 05:59 PM

The CC companies got wise to the game and many require a "transfer fee"...not saying don't go that route but be diligent in your research.

As mentioned the HELOC gives you more flexibility both long and short term at typically a lower interest rate but typically up front closing costs. Another area you need to do some due diligence on and weigh your financial situation the most. Plus pros/cons...obviously a HELOC ties your home to that money in a catastrophic event of a default.

There are no right/wrong answers here, you have to figure out what is best for your short/long term financial needs.

Re: what type of loan? - 03/26/24 06:04 PM

Just go on Nextdoor and request donations (beg) like so many do!

Seriously, hope you make it work out.

We've been wanting to do a kitchen remodel for the last 3 years but medical issues kept putting it off. We're determined to do it this summer, but the wife has cash set aside so no loan.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: what type of loan? - 03/26/24 06:52 PM

check into an equity secured construction loan, funds available as job progresses and probably a bank inspector to back you up.

used to be construction loans were about the cheapest you could get till they rolled over to the long term finance.

not sure how it might work with equity.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: what type of loan? - 03/26/24 07:20 PM

Great advise above, if you go the route of CC. Consider a no fee equity line of credit and let it sit dormant. I have one and can access $300,000 in a matter of minutes without the trouble of selling securities. Just a tool in your tool box you may never need, but great to have if you find a reason. Yes variable
Posted By: glens

Re: what type of loan? - 03/27/24 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Great advise above, if you go the route of CC. Consider a no fee equity line of credit and let it sit dormant. I have one and can access $300,000 in a matter of minutes without the trouble of selling securities. Just a tool in your tool box you may never need, but great to have if you find a reason. Yes variable

What is the Interest Rate on your CC with a no fee equity line of credit when in use?

Re: what type of loan? - 03/27/24 12:43 AM

Great, now I'm getting bombarded with HELOC ads and recommendations!
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: what type of loan? - 03/27/24 04:36 AM

I will be the contrarian. Remodeling a bathroom and a new fence are not emergencies and I can’t imagine going into debt especially with current interest rates for some stupid crap like that. Save up and do it when you can afford it.

Re: what type of loan? - 03/27/24 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by glens
Originally Posted by Ramsey

What is the Interest Rate on your CC with a no fee equity line of credit when in use?
It has ranged from 6.5% to 8.5%.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: what type of loan? - 03/27/24 10:18 AM

Take a loan from your 401k
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: what type of loan? - 03/27/24 10:51 AM

A HELOC with Frost bank is in the 9-12% range. I’d pass on that. Save up and pay cash.
Posted By: upsslim

Re: what type of loan? - 03/27/24 12:13 PM

You might check out Texas Veterans Land Board. When we put new flooring in our house we took out a loan from them.
Posted By: Stub

Re: what type of loan? - 03/27/24 12:43 PM

Bet the Fed lowers the interest rates at least twice before the election in November to help the POS in the WH's re-election efforts.
So if you decide to do a HELOC or Construction loan you might want to hold off and see how that plays out (Fed lowering the rate).
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: what type of loan? - 03/28/24 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit 200 XP

Yes that is brilliant. You can’t afford it now while you are working so rob from your retirement that you will be depending on when you no longer have a paycheck.

I really don’t agree with a lot that Dave Ramsey says and am not just preaching his kool aid. If you need a loan for a home get one. Buy something reasonable that you can afford. If you need a car loan get one but buy a modest used car. If you are not paying cash and have to get a loan so that you can have transportation do it but get something frugal. If you need a loan for some sort of business venture that is going to make you money do it.

However getting a loan to buy something you just want that isn’t absolutely essential is about as stupid as it gets. Ever notice how the banks have the nicest and largest buildings in town? It’s because of schmucks who can’t wait to have stuff and finance it instead of saving up and waiting.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: what type of loan? - 03/29/24 10:10 AM

I remodeled a bathroom last June. I used a large statewide company and got 0% for a year. Already paid it off. That's like free money.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: what type of loan? - 03/29/24 10:46 AM

Take a 401 k loan not a withdraw from your savings , you pay yourself back .

Re: what type of loan? - 03/29/24 03:42 PM

Viable option.

Re: what type of loan? - 03/29/24 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Viable option.

We have profit sharing. Not a possibility.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: what type of loan? - 03/29/24 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
I remodeled a bathroom last June. I used a large statewide company and got 0% for a year. Already paid it off. That's like free money.

i'm thinking this route if you can pay it off within terms

Re: what type of loan? - 03/29/24 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Drifter

What was the company?
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: what type of loan? - 04/05/24 11:36 AM

Statewide Remodeling
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: what type of loan? - 04/06/24 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sewer rat

Yes that is brilliant. You can’t afford it now while you are working so rob from your retirement that you will be depending on when you no longer have a paycheck.

I really don’t agree with a lot that Dave Ramsey says and am not just preaching his kool aid. If you need a loan for a home get one. Buy something reasonable that you can afford. If you need a car loan get one but buy a modest used car. If you are not paying cash and have to get a loan so that you can have transportation do it but get something frugal. If you need a loan for some sort of business venture that is going to make you money do it.

However getting a loan to buy something you just want that isn’t absolutely essential is about as stupid as it gets. Ever notice how the banks have the nicest and largest buildings in town? It’s because of schmucks who can’t wait to have stuff and finance it instead of saving up and waiting.

#1 401k loan is great that it is paid back in 5 years or less plus you get the interest.
#2 some folks like live nicer than they ever have before they die. Dave is not always right. Just don't be stupid.

Re: what type of loan? - 04/06/24 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jman
A HELOC allows you to write off the interest yes. Depending on how much you need, a home equity loan might make sense but would come with more costs up front than a personal loan. However, the rate would be lower than a personal loan and term more favorable in most instances.

I completed a HELOC at First United and they paid all costs including appraisal. Current variable rate with them is 8.5% this month. I can take out however much I want to $250,000 in literally a couple seconds on the app and it shows up in my checking account there. I am not sure if you can write off the interest as I just go standard deduction. May nit be the most prudent, but definately the easiest.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: what type of loan? - 04/06/24 10:56 AM

I took Ramsey’s advice 5 years ago and got a HELOC. It’s pretty awesome having that money a few clicks away if you need it. I’ve made some good cash on deals that pop up online that I snag to flip that otherwise wouldn’t have that kind of money laying around. It’s also nice to pay it down in big chunks some months while having the option to pay a little over the interest other months.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum