Texas Hunting Forum

Eclipse Info.

Posted By: Roll-Tide

Eclipse Info. - 03/25/24 11:31 PM

I’ve heard about it. Didn’t know anything. Apparently it’s all over Texas.

Info

https://nationaleclipse.com/
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 12:18 AM

Its going through San Antonio, just hope I make it home before all the crazies get back on the road.....
Posted By: Lazyman

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 12:26 AM

Supposedly we are damn near right in the middle of it here in Hamilton....
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 12:28 AM

https://www.facebook.com/jamieseed/videos/1719267565267401/
Posted By: thegrouse

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 12:44 AM

Supposed to be all the rage down here. I have my glasses, I guess I will go outside and check it out when it hits
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 01:17 AM

They are declaring disasters everywhere for the 3 minute eclipse.

One news station said we will be in total darkness. Isn't that like night time?
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by stinkbelly

Id say its closer to dusk/dawn lighting
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 10:13 AM

7 years ago the eclipse started near Oregon and went through 7 cities named Salem. Salem in the Bible means peace. This one starts near Corpus Christi (Body of Christ) and goes through Jonah Texas and then 7 cities named Nineveh. These are called signs and wonders. Signs mean signature, only God can do that, it has His signature. Jonah was called to tell Nineveh to repent of their evil deeds or suffer the devastation of God's hand. It took Jonah 3 days to walk across Nineveh and tell them, after an eclipse happened they were in awe and repented and Nineveh was saved. I would say we need a little repentance in our country and cities as well.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 10:19 AM

I don't understand the hoopla over the eclipse, maybe I am too old to give a chit........
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 02:48 PM

My AirBnb next door has been booked since last May for that weekend.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 04:18 PM

I hope it's overcast.....
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 05:52 PM

I think it's a non event, but it worries that every small town in the path is making it out to be a huge deal under direction from the state and federal governments.

I expect a canned riot to break out the day of the eclipse in one of the major cities similar to 2020, then election season can begin for real.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 05:54 PM

I'm going to hog hunt that afternoon just to see how wildlife reacts to it, if at all. Not something I could do when I was working or will have the chance to do again. I'm thinking if it turns out to be overcast it should get even more dark. But I'm also going to spend the night before to avoid whatever the traffic could be like that day.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I'm going to hog hunt that afternoon just to see how wildlife reacts to it, if at all. Not something I could do when I was working or will have the chance to do again. I'm thinking if it turns out to be overcast it should get even more dark. But I'm also going to spend the night before to avoid whatever the traffic could be like that day.

That might be a good idea...maybe the hogs will come out and be caught in the open!
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 06:22 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Derek

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

As of this morning it's going to be cloudy with rain chances in Dallas. Granted it's almost two weeks out but not looking good for that care about it, which I'm not one.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 08:30 PM

These fools can’t precut tomorrow’s weather. They have zero idea about 2 weeks.
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan

That might be a good idea...maybe the hogs will come out and be caught in the open!

I was on a catfish trip with my brother at Amistad back in the 80s when an eclipse occurred. There was a very noticeable increase in bite activity for about 30 minutes up till the sun was shining full again. Then the bite completely quit.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 08:53 PM

I was wondering the exact same thing.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

I was wondering the exact same thing.

It's only going to be totally dark for a few minutes. But any day hunting is better than not.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 09:20 PM

It could save a lot of people from eye damage looking at it through some cheap Chinese cardboard sunglasses that they bought at a gas station.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by DannyB

It could save a lot of people from eye damage looking at it through some cheap Chinese cardboard sunglasses that they bought at a gas station.

Those aren't any good? Crap, I bought a 10 pack off amazon for the office.

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by chalet

I wouldn't risk my eyesight with them. China is an adversary. They have a pretty bad reputation for a lot of other crap they sell us. Covid?

I figure you can get a pretty good image of it with your phone on selfie mode. Snap a pic for your grandkids. roflmao

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/26/24 09:45 PM

I was planning to turkey hunt that weekend. I decided there is no way I am going anywhere near Central Texas. Long range forecasts are calling for a slight chance of rain and cloudy sky's. There will be a lot of disappointed people that travelled to Texas to see it.

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/27/24 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
I was planning to turkey hunt that weekend. I decided there is no way I am going anywhere near Central Texas. Long range forecasts are calling for a slight chance of rain and cloudy sky's. There will be a lot of disappointed people that travelled to Texas to see it.

The eclipse might drive gobblers to roost so that you can call them down a relatively short time later. I can't see turkeys ever wanting to stay on the ground once it gets dusk to dark no matter the actual time of day. And if the Toms are separated from the hens, as they often are in the afternoon, it might make for the perfect setup to lure one in.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/27/24 03:45 AM

the local news channels will have some poor sap or sappette out on a bridge filming it. watch it there and save your eyes and cost of china glasses. lol.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/27/24 11:15 AM

I am gonna go ride my bike during the eclipse
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/27/24 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by TCM3

Id say its closer to dusk/dawn lighting

I have heard many claim total darkness, but it is more like overcast light. I suppose it you add overcast it could get a bit dim.

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/27/24 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by chalet

I picked a pair for the wife and I at Kroger for a buck ninety-nine. They're marked as made in the USA and conforming to the "Transmission Requirements of ISO 12312-2, Filters for Direct Observation of the Sun". Nothing but a faint appearance of the sun passes through them.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/27/24 08:23 PM

7 years ago the eclipse started near Oregon and went through 7 cities named Salem. Salem in the Bible means peace. This one starts near Corpus Christi (Body of Christ) and goes through Jonah Texas and then 7 cities named Nineveh. These are called signs and wonders. Signs mean signature, only God can do that, it has His signature. Jonah was called to tell Nineveh to repent of their evil deeds or suffer the devastation of God's hand. It took Jonah 3 days to walk across Nineveh and tell them, after an eclipse happened they were in awe and repented and Nineveh was saved. I would say we need a little repentance in our country and cities as well.

https://davidaholland.com/2024/03/n...-move-across-7-u-s-towns-called-ninevah/
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/27/24 08:59 PM

If anything its just a sign, people were convinced it was the end in 2014 after 4 full lunar eclipses...one on passover too i think.
Get right, and its nothing to worry about.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/28/24 11:42 AM

Long range forecast is not looking good for the eclipse viewers.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/28/24 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
Long range forecast is not looking good for the eclipse viewers.

I really don't care to watch the actual eclipse (moon covering the sun) but I think the darkening of our surroundings (for several minutes) in early afternoon will be kinda neat to experience. If there is cloud cover it will just be all the better for that.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/28/24 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3
If anything its just a sign, people were convinced it was the end in 2014 after 4 full lunar eclipses...one on passover too i think.
Get right, and its nothing to worry about.

People act like this has never happened before. Sounds like a bunch of California hype. Wife’s dentist called and canceled her appointment for that day. WTH
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/29/24 04:34 AM

I’m praying for intense thunderstorms on April 8
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/30/24 11:58 PM

Re: Eclipse Info. - 03/31/24 12:21 AM

Texans will see their first total solar eclipse since 1878 in April.
Originally Posted by BigPig

Why would you do that? This is a unique deal.

From the National Weather Service

A total solar eclipse occurs about once every 18 months. However, at any given location, it may be several centuries between occurrences. The most recent total solar eclipse within North or Central Texas was in 1878, and after this year's eclipse, there won't be another in our region until 2317
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 05:44 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 06:00 PM

How ironic is it going to be with all the hype and an overcast sky that day? That'd make me giggle on the inside a little bit.

I mean, I suspect ... and I am just spitballing, here... that leading up to the eclipse and the days after it, that I will still wake up, kiss my wife good morning, go to work, come home, eat dinner with my family, and fall asleep in the same fashion that I have known my entire life. Just a guess.

This is the same reason I don't get too fired up over sports or politics, too.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 08:17 PM

Huntnfly, I’m about the same way. Not much of the major pro sports interest me.

I’ll look at the eclipse and enjoy it.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 08:30 PM

Whose eclipse plans are in jeopardy? I'm supposed to go to Roughrider Stadium and watch. If the weather sucks, not sure I will go.

I know there are many eclipse haters out there, not sure why unless you are in some business which puts you having to deal with the masses. Like LEO's, Firefighters, EMT's, etc.

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 08:48 PM

Is the view better at Roughrider Stadium than at you're house confused2

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be

No but, A bunch of friends are going, and the beer stands will be open! banana
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 09:19 PM

The emperor has no clothes - yes, many of usins here in South Texas would dang sure accept the blessing of heavy rains over the opportunty of witnessing a three minute, once in a hundred years eclipse.

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
The emperor has no clothes - yes, many of usins here in South Texas would dang sure accept the blessing of heavy rains over the opportunty of witnessing a three minute, once in a hundred years eclipse.

I can see that

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Originally Posted by NORML as can be

No but, A bunch of friends are going, and the beer stands will be open! banana

Have a great time, Don't drink and drive cool2

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 10:37 PM

I wonder what disasters are being conjured as we wait.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 10:49 PM

It’s next year ,,,, right ?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 10:52 PM

I’m right in the path. If I watch, it’ll be from the bench on my fishing dock. Kind of Ho hum to me.

“Eclipse haters’, is that really a thing?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67
How ironic is it going to be with all the hype and an overcast sky that day? That'd make me giggle on the inside a little bit.

Clouds forecast for Boerne. Judge declared a disaster and schools are gonna be closed. Our daughter, who works and has two in school, is pissed.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 11:05 PM

I have a dentist appt at 1pm that day. Luckily, it's only a mile away from my house, otherwise, I wouldn't be going out at all.

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/01/24 11:49 PM

I think the spacemen have organized this eclipse and will come destroy us once and for all.

Disaster chicken
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/02/24 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
I’m right in the path. If I watch, it’ll be from the bench on my fishing dock. Kind of Ho hum to me.

The only hate I have is for the over hyped BS about it. Public safety resources are always limited here and the emergency management folks are telling them there’s going to be gridlock on the farm roads in Bosque County. The only way gridlock will happen here is if someone’s cows get out.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/02/24 12:20 AM

Supposed to rain and be generally nasty Monday.

What’s gonna happen if half the state is covered in clouds that day?

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/02/24 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

You just won't get to see the Corona of the Sun.... and the darkening during the total Eclipse will seem less dramatic.

Surely there will be folks who are disappointed, particularly those that traveled long distances to witness the event. But that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/02/24 01:18 AM

The ones that only planned a short trip to see it may stay home. I know of some folks coming from Colorado. I'm sure they will have other destinations, but still. Can you imagine being a kid that got hauled a long distance, rain or shine, to see something that lasts four minutes? Talk about pizzed! grin

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/02/24 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

The only hate I have is for the over hyped BS about it. Public safety resources are always limited…

THIS. 100%.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/02/24 10:32 AM

The only hate I have is for the over hyped BS about it. Public safety resources are always limited…

THIS. 100%.

Yep and I will add, I don't need no excuse to party.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/02/24 11:30 AM

Like most media squawking, much ado about very little.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/02/24 01:12 PM

Rain and clouds will enhance the darkness. Otherwise, there are going to be one million tourists who are sad. lol
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/02/24 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw
Otherwise, there are going to be one million tourists who are sad. lol

As always, the beer distributors will do well. 'Like taking candy from a baby.

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/02/24 01:44 PM

The wineries will kill it in The Hill Country.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/02/24 01:54 PM

I had planned to ignore it, then thought I might make the 3 1/2-hour drive to Burnet to do some ancestor research next Monday, or maybe down to Junction to sit by my great-great grandfather's grave to watch it, but I, too, am keeping a close eye on the weather forecasts, which do not look at all promising for a clear view.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/02/24 01:55 PM

The only hate I have is for the over hyped BS about it. Public safety resources are always limited here and the emergency management folks are telling them there’s going to be gridlock on the farm roads in Bosque County. The only way gridlock will happen here is if someone’s cows get out.

^^This

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Like most media squawking, much ado about very little.

^^And this.

I am not going to be surprised if I see total strangers parking in my entryway and climbing my fence.

Imma need a Go-Pro that day, for when I "have a talk with them".
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/02/24 11:48 PM

I am bummed. I wanted to fish but I have work obligations. Missing the opportunity to fish the first and last light, dusk and dawn bite 4 times in one day would be epic.

Edit to add: I bet the bite will be on.

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/03/24 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Choctaw

Rain and clouds will enhance the darkness. Otherwise, there are going to be one million tourists who are sad. lol

If we have low, dark clouds then things will be marginally 'darker' at full eclipse, but the 'contrast effect' will actually be less than if it were sunny/bright and then turns dark.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/03/24 01:11 AM

Just looked at the weather predictions. The eclipse at our house looks like it’ll be a rainout. But, it’ll surely be on tv, so I can watch it as many times as I want to.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/03/24 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Texans will see their first total solar eclipse since 1878 in April.

Why would you do that? This is a unique deal.

A total solar eclipse occurs about once every 18 months. However, at any given location, it may be several centuries between occurrences. The most recent total solar eclipse within North or Central Texas was in 1878, and after this year's eclipse, there won't be another in our region until 2317

Because it stupid.

Because declaring an emergency for this event is stupid.

Schools closing for this event is stupid.

I’ll be traversing the metroplex for work, and having to deal with stupid people and excessive, and unnecessary traffic all day.
Posted By: nak

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/03/24 04:04 AM

I'm just waiting for all the out-of-state visitors to DFW to get home and receive their $100+ Toll Bills for a couple of trips across 183/114.

I'm betting TexExpress has the rates maxed out all day...maybe all weekend before it.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/03/24 10:52 AM

[quote=Simple Searcher]Texans will see their first total solar eclipse since 1878 in April.
This is a unique deal.

there won't be another in our region until 2317

Guess I better watch this one I might be busy when the 2317 eclipse rolls around

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/08/24 06:44 PM

THIS. 100%.

Well...
that was something.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/08/24 07:15 PM

Was cool, even my Mom said she was glad to see at 92.

Stupid was not getting out to see it.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Eclipse Info. - 04/08/24 08:11 PM

Glad yall could see it. Was solid grey overcast here and saw nada.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum