Texas Hunting Forum

Having Mistletoe Removed from tree limbs

Posted By: Cool Mo D

Having Mistletoe Removed from tree limbs - 03/22/24 12:15 AM

Is there a substance to apply to the limb of the tree to prevent the mistletoe from coming back?
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Having Mistletoe Removed from tree limbs - 03/22/24 12:55 AM

No, and the only sprays that kill it, have to be applied when the tree is dormant and have to be applied to each clump. I went pretty far down the rabbit hole on stopping it and decided to just live with it.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Having Mistletoe Removed from tree limbs - 03/22/24 03:16 AM

I asked a similar question a few years ago on here and was told that fighting mistletoe is an exercise in futility, that mistletoe is a sign that the tree is weakened and is dying, and that I would be wasting my time and effort by removing it.
FWIW
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Having Mistletoe Removed from tree limbs - 03/22/24 07:24 AM

I agree with the above but I’ve seen trees full of it for decades so I’m not thinking they are on their way out already. I think every elm on my place has it but not the oaks but I don’t know why.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Having Mistletoe Removed from tree limbs - 03/22/24 11:04 AM

We also have had it in the cedar elms, but not in the live oaks or cedar trees. Been there 33 years, no elms have died yet.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Having Mistletoe Removed from tree limbs - 03/22/24 04:44 PM

you can't just trim the mistle toe off at the growth spot, you need to cut the limb back to the tree trunk if possible
Posted By: Chubbyfarts

Re: Having Mistletoe Removed from tree limbs - 03/22/24 05:34 PM

Shoot it out with 12 gauge bird shot
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Having Mistletoe Removed from tree limbs - 03/22/24 05:36 PM

When you see a Burl on a Mesquite tree it is from a mistletoe. Some are thousands of pounds so they have some age to them.
Posted By: Grit

Re: Having Mistletoe Removed from tree limbs - 03/22/24 05:58 PM

That mistletoe always seems to like to develop at the highest of branches.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum