Texas Hunting Forum

How is your mind?

Posted By: tlk

How is your mind? - 02/29/24 12:43 PM

This was on TBH and I thought it was very interesting

https://www.texasbowhunter.com/disc...nd-the-campfire/26732191-how-s-your-mind
Posted By: Pootie

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 12:59 PM

Apparently I am fine and am in whatever the percentage was for surviving 70 years or 60 years or whatever the color was!
Posted By: Stub

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 01:09 PM

muyloco nuts loco
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 01:46 PM

I’m blessed at 63 to still have good recall and memory…..my profession keeps my mind sharp I believe. I have worked with many people over the years and observed those that retire and become less active with their mind and body tend to live shorter lives and struggle more with memory….
Posted By: TPACK

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 02:36 PM

It`s amazing what you can remember and what you cannot. These are license plates #`s of my 1st new truck (1978), an 83 Bonneville and a 75 Ford Comet. A phone # for a friend that I memorized and called a few times in 1977 and 78 and a PO Box I has for 2 years (82-83). I can`t tell you what my license plates are on any of my vehicles today are though. confused2

BBQ 792
UCE 283
NK 1936
806 866 4395
P.O. Box1608
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 04:05 PM

I’m 81 and fortunate to be in reasonably good health with the exception of arthritis. That stuff is a recent occurrence and causes a lot of back, legs and thumbs pain. But, I will never again be able to tackle the mountains chasing elk or goats.

I’m a polio survivor.

Like most guys my age, I’m a veteran.

I often go to a local city park and walk a mile; most days I do it twice(when I remember).

I have been tested by a Neurologist for Alzheimer’s but have none of the markers. Doc says I can’t possibly live long to get it. However, I have the worst short term memory loss that he has ever tested for. Good chance this is post polio syndrome.

I mow my own lawn.

I make knives but realize that I can buy a better high carbon steel blade from Jantz than I can now make.

Financially secure like all of my friends from high school.

I drive but when wife and I are together she drives. Her thought processes and alertness are a little bit better than mine. And I damn well know it.

I don’t remember the odds against drawing to an inside straight or improving two pair by drawing one card. But I know they aren’t good.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I’m blessed at 63 to still have good recall and memory…..my profession keeps my mind sharp I believe. I have worked with many people over the years and observed those that retire and become less active with their mind and body tend to live shorter lives and struggle more with memory….

I have seen this also in both family and friends.

My Dad retired (mechanical engineer) at 67 and went back to work after a year. He said that he could feel his mind slipping. At 88 he made over $150K in consulting fees by picking fun projects doing what he loved and finally retired at 92, then passed away four years later. My Grandfather did roughly the same thing, but died at 98.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 07:35 PM

I’m 76 and see no sign of mental weakness (you folks and my wife may have different opinions). Naturally, there is physical weakness, but not enough to keep me from doing what I need to do here in the country - chainsawing, running the wood splitter and feeding wood to it, hauling 50# bags, climbing ladders, etc.

No problems with my woodworking - measurements, angles, and such

I do have occasional senior moments, which might be a precursor to short term memory loss. As I was saying……uuuuh….
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 07:43 PM

Looking at the little mental acuity test on TBH, I apparently have no issues...but, I forget where I set down my coffee cup 2-3x per day and way too often walk into a room and forget why I went there. I may be in trouble in a few years.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 07:58 PM

My mind is like a steel trap, rusty and illegal in 9 states.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 08:38 PM

I'll be 65 in June my wife says she doesn't see anything out of the ordinary, but I feel cloudy more days than not cool2
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be
I'll be 65 in June my wife says she doesn't see anything out of the ordinary, but I feel cloudy more days than not cool2

Hmmm . . . .
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Originally Posted by NORML as can be
I'll be 65 in June my wife says she doesn't see anything out of the ordinary, but I feel smoky more days than not cool2

Hmmm . . . .

fify
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 09:22 PM

I’m 50 and well pleasured with the things out back to the point I’m thrilled it happened this way.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: How is your mind? - 02/29/24 11:22 PM

The mind is a mysterious thing. Drew a blank on a guys name earlier today that I see weekly and took deer hunting in November. My girls friend's parents phone number from high school is 655-0302. Haven't dialed that number in 45 years.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: How is your mind? - 03/01/24 01:26 AM

I wonder how legit that test is...?
Posted By: TCM3

Re: How is your mind? - 03/01/24 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stub
muyloco nuts loco

roflmao
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: How is your mind? - 03/01/24 02:52 AM

Sharp as a takc
Posted By: 71Rcode

Re: How is your mind? - 03/01/24 09:41 AM

Of the three tests in that article, I didn't find the "c" in the first one outside the design/shape the test letters formed.

Also the statistics provided another reminder of how blessed we all are to have been born and raised in this amazing country.
Posted By: Stub

Re: How is your mind? - 03/01/24 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by 71Rcode
Of the three tests in that article, I didn't find the "c" in the first one outside the design/shape the test letters formed.

Also the statistics provided another reminder of how blessed we all are to have been born and raised in this amazing country.

I found the C,6 & N all of them within less than a minute.
According to French Professor Bruno Dubois, I am not ready to join Jack Nicholson yet in...

Posted By: DannyB

Re: How is your mind? - 03/01/24 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar

I was wondering the same thing. I found those letters in seconds. Since my dad had Alzheimer's I was glad to see this doctor is not some sidewalk hack on the internet. He is legit. The first link needs a copy and paste.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422(14)70106-1/fulltext
https://neurosciencenews.com/alzheimers-3-types-19711/
https://neurodegenerationresearch.eu/board-member/bruno-dubois/
https://alzheimer-recherche.org/en/professeur-bruno-dubois/
Posted By: Jon

Re: How is your mind? - 03/01/24 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by DannyB
Originally Posted by Tbar

I was wondering the same thing. I found those letters in seconds. Since my dad had Alzheimer's I was glad to see this doctor is not some sidewalk hack on the internet. He is legit. The first link needs a copy and paste.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422(14)70106-1/fulltext
https://neurosciencenews.com/alzheimers-3-types-19711/
https://neurodegenerationresearch.eu/board-member/bruno-dubois/
https://alzheimer-recherche.org/en/professeur-bruno-dubois/

Thank you for posting these links!!
I'm 69 and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's a month ago after an MRI did not show anything but a PET scan did show some shrinkage in two areas of my brain.
This from what I describe as a 3rd rate cattle car operation. I am hoping now that the diagnosis may be wrong. I am switching to UT Southwestern in Dallas and have an appointment a week from today to get a second opinion from what I expect will be much better doctors. I aced the test on TBH so that is encouraging.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: How is your mind? - 03/02/24 01:34 AM

Jon, I’m 80 and have gotten forgetful. The article says that if you know you are forgetful, you won’t get Alzheimer’s. That is a huge load off my mind.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: How is your mind? - 03/02/24 03:21 PM

I'm 61 so all is good. Had major scare/awakening Thursday night with my father. He is 88 and had a BP event where it was 240/100 plus! In the er for 4-5 hours and his cognitive ability was so bad he hard time signing release papers and hard time walking and alot of confusion on drive home. Didn't recognize the man I have seen drag elk, work cattle, work on heavy equipment, work 16-24 hour days, raise 2 sons and share wealth if wisdom. Scary sad seeing that. I have disconnected from family in ways and that is only thing that keeps me sane. Hoping to catch him on good day and may be discuss selling and consolidating and look into assisted living lifestyle.
Posted By: tlk

Re: How is your mind? - 03/02/24 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by RLoving1
I'm 61 so all is good. Had major scare/awakening Thursday night with my father. He is 88 and had a BP event where it was 240/100 plus! In the er for 4-5 hours and his cognitive ability was so bad he hard time signing release papers and hard time walking and alot of confusion on drive home. Didn't recognize the man I have seen drag elk, work cattle, work on heavy equipment, work 16-24 hour days, raise 2 sons and share wealth if wisdom. Scary sad seeing that. I have disconnected from family in ways and that is only thing that keeps me sane. Hoping to catch him on good day and may be discuss selling and consolidating and look into assisted living lifestyle.

Been there with my Mom - no fun.

This is why having wills, power of attorney, medical power of attorney, etc. can be invaluable if and when the time comes
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: How is your mind? - 03/02/24 08:03 PM

I’ve been told,,,, twisted.
Posted By: nak

Re: How is your mind? - 03/02/24 08:28 PM

Turned 62 today! Too bad my body has not kept up with my mind.
Posted By: Concho

Re: How is your mind? - 03/02/24 08:42 PM

I'll be 68 in a couple days, found each one of those in a couple seconds each, not sure my wife would agree that that test is a sure sign of mental fitness...
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: How is your mind? - 03/02/24 08:55 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grit

Re: How is your mind? - 03/03/24 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
[Linked Image]

I don't know why, but the first thing that came to mind when seeing that pic was Monty Python. roflmao
Posted By: kry226

Re: How is your mind? - 03/03/24 12:57 PM

Well you can tell AI knows nothing about Soldiers or firearms, just like some of the elite... shocking... Anyone know of a conservative AI machine??? salute
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: How is your mind? - 03/03/24 06:49 PM

Found these @ $Tree...
[Linked Image]
bang if only I could remember ta take em.

flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum