Texas Hunting Forum

Then vs. Now

Posted By: Stub

Then vs. Now - 02/18/24 10:29 PM

Saw this meme earlier and it made me think about the difference in things today vs 30-50 years ago. A lot of things have improved, others not so much like in the meme.
What things or services have gotten better or worse that comes to mind?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/18/24 10:35 PM

Man flying has changed for the worse in so many ways
Posted By: tlk

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/18/24 10:42 PM

so true!
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 01:14 AM

I miss the go go boots.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 03:02 AM

I remember when they no longer allowed smoking on planes. That irritated me back then.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 03:19 AM

Hot pants, enough said.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 10:13 AM

If you fly most non US based carriers you still get the young and skinny and cute flight attendants, and better food.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
Hot pants, enough said.

They were worn above the go go boots.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 02:24 PM

I found it frustrating to develop the serious hots for a stewardess whilst surrounded by 150 other strangers.
Posted By: batman

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 02:36 PM

I think today’s flying is like yesterday’s bus riding…..
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 02:41 PM

Passengers were thin for most part, nothing like the feeling of dread when you have an open seat next to you and a hugely obese person is squeezing their way down the aisle towards you.
Posted By: Grit

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Paluxy
Passengers were thin for most part, nothing like the feeling of dread when you have an open seat next to you and a hugely obese person is squeezing their way down the aisle towards you.

That's when your window seat becomes an aisle seat, lest you get crushed.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 03:17 PM

I used to fly 3-4 trips per month for over 15 years in corporate America (computer industry). Made a good living at it but don't miss it.
Some years I racked up 100K miles of seat time. When traveling this much I'd get in my travel mode and nothing surprised me during the travel experience.
Yes things changed and not for the benefit of passengers.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 03:19 PM

One thing that is certainly better is automobile tire technology. I remember as a kid packing for vacations my dad would bring two spare tires. There were times when we needed them!
Now most folks wear out the tread before they have a single flat.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 06:56 PM

Automobile reliability too.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 07:16 PM

Service is better on airlines in the sense hou get there faster, more reliably and safer. The planes of old were slower, didn’t have abilities to fly through the crud we get to go through now, couldnt land as reliably in weather situations, and had more accidents.

I dosagree with the assertion of international flight attendants being any different than american ones, certain airlines have higher standards which is funny because those same countries disregard women or treat women like objects (i guess that makes sense given the attention to appearances), but you pay for that in higher fares.

Something that has gotten worse over the years: mental toughness. Too many people are wimps mentally.

Something that has gotten better over the years: information. We have vastly more information available at our fingertips compared to needing books and volumes that were many times incomplete.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Automobile reliability too.

automobiles are much more reliable now, we just drive a lot more.

Those 1970's vehicles would have 70,000 miles on them at 10 years old and hardly anything made it to 100,000 miles without the engine being overhauled once or twice.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 09:39 PM

I see flying private, "semi-private", or even first class is better.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Then vs. Now - 02/19/24 10:21 PM

Went to Homey Depot to buy a couple of clay pots.

One of the pots I liked had a white substance on one side, there was a young employee (Noah) standing around holding flags down by his side in a fenced off area watching a a forklift move around.
So I asked Noah if he could get a wet rag and see if it will wipe off, he says okay and takes off, comes back with a wet rag and says here you go.

I smirked and said you want me to clean it, he said yes, I replied Noah you are the one that works here not me! Guess the light bulb went off and he said okay and cleaned it.
Another gentleman about my age was sitting very close waiting for help shook his head and said; nobody wants to work these days, I replied they would have struggled bad back in our days!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum