Texas Hunting Forum

“Literally”…

Posted By: Sneaky

“Literally”… - 02/16/24 12:53 AM

…is the new “like.” People use it far more than they used to. It’s become a filler word. It’s used when it doesn’t make sense to use it. It’s used when nobody could possibly confuse the statement as being figurative. (Thanks for clearing that up, woman. I wasn’t sure if the sandwich you made was literal or figurative. Now I know you’re making real sandwiches. What a load off of my mind.) People use it so much that I don’t want to use it, anymore, even when I have a legitimate use for the word. I can’t help but notice this, and I feel like it does the exact same thing that using “like” too much does. It makes a person sound less intelligent than they might actually be. A lot of people will find this observation insignificant or even wrong. It may be the former but is certainly not the latter, and if you haven’t noticed yet, you will once you’re paying attention to it. It’s all you will hear, and you’re welcome. I happen to think a person’s speech matters. I think the English language matters. When you overuse anything, you will wear it out. This applies to words as much as anything. (And questions marks, Stub!) We’ve addressed “like” many times, but I haven’t seen any of us address this newest beating of a word. This is just my observation. Do with it what you like.

Also, “absolutely” is the next word being rode hard and put up wet. We’ll address that one when it’s foundered as badly as like and literally.
Posted By: Catperch

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 12:58 AM

This is literally like so last year.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 12:58 AM

"Literally, It Is What It Is" roflmao
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 01:02 AM

Preach, brother!
Posted By: freerange

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 01:21 AM

Ive never noticed either one. I dont even know what context you are talking about. Please, give me an example in a sentence of what you mean. Maybe refer me to the threads where "like" was talked about.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Catperch

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Yes, this is to be expected. (And appreciated.) NTX gets extra points for pouring salt into a wound I didn’t think he was even aware of. Maybe he got lucky, but he gets credit for it anyway.
Posted By: Catperch

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:01 AM

But seriously…… yea it drives me insane too…. Especially when they mispronounce the word as “lit-RAH-ly”.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by freerange
Ive never noticed either one. I dont even know what context you are talking about. Please, give me an example in a sentence of what you mean. Maybe refer me to the threads where "like" was talked about.

I gave an example. (It’s in parentheses. Yes, those curved things around these two statements.)

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:11 AM

But seriously…… yea it drives me insane too…. Especially when they mispronounce the word as “lit-RAH-ly”.

Well, now, maybe that’s just a cultural or geographical thing, as it relates to accents and such.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

I gave an example. (It’s in parentheses. Yes, those curved things around these two statements.)

It seemed to me the stuff inside the two squiggly lines was your reply to the example that you did not give. I would be curious if she literally told you “I literally made you a sandwich”. If she actually said that then I think you hang out with people that are not within the norm of our society.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:28 AM

My son in college and everyone his age use literally far too much, especially when it is figuratively, and not literally.

Women use the word “like” as a crutch. My wife does this and it drives me crazy, especially since I’m trying to teach my kids proper English.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:47 AM

It seemed to me the stuff inside the two squiggly lines was your reply to the example that you did not give. I would be curious if she literally told you “I literally made you a sandwich”. If she actually said that then I think you hang out with people that are not within the norm of our society.

I can understand the confusion. I wasn’t real clear about that. My example was in the parentheses, and it was a little vague.

It was just an example, and not from an actual conversation. I don’t hang out with a lot of people that speak that way, but I do see and hear it a lot through other outlets. It’s possible that’s why you don’t see it as much as I do.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:49 AM

In my house as of now, the term of the day is "Technically".

I like this word, as I am normally a technical person....but my little girl has been waring this word out.

Example: "Hey baby, so is the T-Rex still your favorite dinosaur?"

Baby girl: "He is dad but technically it's the Velosa Raptor"

Me: "Hmn, ok. So how is the Velosa Raptor technically superior to T-Rex?"

Baby girl: "Well dad, I love them all but when you look at the intelligence and speed of both of them technically the Velosa Raptor is supperior dad."

Me: "Aw OK cool, very cool baby I didn't know that."

Me: "Now it's technically time to brush your teeth and go to sleep."

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
My son in college and everyone his age use literally far too much, especially when it is figuratively, and not literally.

Women use the word “like” as a crutch. My wife does this and it drives me crazy, especially since I’m trying to teach my kids proper English.

I sure do appreciate you teaching your kids proper English. And to be fair, it’s very easy to fall into the trap of “like.” It’s so pervasive that you have to make a conscious attempt to avoid it.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

I like this word, as I am normally a technical person....but my little girl has been waring this word out.

Baby girl: Well dad, I love them all but when you look at the intelligence and speed of both of them technically the Velosa Raptor is supperior dad."

That’s good stuff.

And I wouldn’t bring this up if I didn’t think you could handle it, but technically, it’s velociraptor.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:55 AM

And “wearing.”

Sorry! I can’t help myself!

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:57 AM

And “wearing.”

Sorry! I can’t help myself!

That was just for you amigo. clap

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:58 AM

Baby girl: Well dad, I love them all but when you look at the intelligence and speed of both of them technically the Velosa Raptor is supperior dad."

That’s good stuff.

And I wouldn’t bring this up if I didn’t think you could handle it, but technically, it’s velociraptor.

Technically, yes. roflmao

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 03:06 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 03:10 AM

Yes, this is to be expected. (And appreciated.) NTX gets extra points for pouring salt into a wound I didn’t think he was even aware of. Maybe he got lucky, but he gets credit for it anyway.

I don’t remember anything about multiple years of algebra but you hating that phrase is stuck in my brain.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 03:17 AM

Great, now I want a cigarette. Just kidding, I quit for good.....but last Sat went fishing....put a few fish in the box whilst drinking beer/having fun and I borrowed me a dip of snuff. Something I used to enjoy for most of my life on the regular but also quit years ago. Damn, that was good............nope not gonna do it..... bang

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 03:20 AM

I don’t remember anything about multiple years of algebra but you hating that phrase is stuck in my brain.

Dude, I don’t even remember how long it’s been since I mentioned it, but it’s been awhile. I am seriously impressed. I’m so jaded on that phrase I forgot that I hated it.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 03:22 AM

Great, now I want a cigarette. Just kidding, I quit for good.....but last Sat went fishing....put a few fish in the box whilst drinking beer/having fun and I borrowed me a dip of snuff. Something I used to enjoy for most of my life on the regular but also quit years ago. Damn, that was good............nope not gonna do it..... bang

I wish I’d known about your aversion to such bad habits. I would have proven you wrong on that “for good” part.

Hey, let’s go fishing.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 03:28 AM

I wish I’d known about your aversion to such bad habits. I would have proven you wrong on that “for good” part.

Hey, let’s go fishing.

roflmao Aight then. cheers

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 03:32 AM

I take my part in being a bad influence very seriously.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 03:34 AM

I take my part in being a bad influence very seriously.

Guess that makes two of us. grin

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 03:38 AM

Dude, I don’t even remember how long it’s been since I mentioned it, but it’s been awhile. I am seriously impressed. I’m so jaded on that phrase I forgot that I hated it.

Not sure why it got stuck in there. There’s also the shoe size of a 5X2 Hoova Crip named Chris stuck in there but please don’t take the association personally.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 03:45 AM

roflmao

I don’t. I fully understand how wonky our memories are. I can recall the most useless facts, but when I really need to remember something, it’s not there.
Posted By: decook

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 12:04 PM

So, what about sentences that start with "so"?
Posted By: Stub

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 12:21 PM

…is the new “like.” People use it far more than they used to. It’s become a filler word. It’s used when it doesn’t make sense to use it. It’s used when nobody could possibly confuse the statement as being figurative. (Thanks for clearing that up, woman. I wasn’t sure if the sandwich you made was literal or figurative. Now I know you’re making real sandwiches. What a load off of my mind.) People use it so much that I don’t want to use it, anymore, even when I have a legitimate use for the word. I can’t help but notice this, and I feel like it does the exact same thing that using “like” too much does. It makes a person sound less intelligent than they might actually be. A lot of people will find this observation insignificant or even wrong. It may be the former but is certainly not the latter, and if you haven’t noticed yet, you will once you’re paying attention to it. It’s all you will hear, and you’re welcome. I happen to think a person’s speech matters. I think the English language matters. When you overuse anything, you will wear it out.
This applies to words as much as anything. (And questions marks, Stub!) We’ve addressed “like” many times, but I haven’t seen any of us address this newest beating of a word. This is just my observation. Do with it what you like.

Also, “absolutely” is the next word being rode hard and put up wet. We’ll address that one when it’s foundered as badly as like and literally.

? R U Talking about you Sneaky little bastage???? laugh

After reading the first two sentences of your post, I literally knew that I was going to be dipped in the English language 101 outhouse rofl
Math and females were my strong suit, everything else was just that, everything else!
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 12:23 PM

freerange must live under a rock. All the grammar problems mentioned are very common in the semi-country and even more so in the suburbs.

This forum is full of syntax and spelling errors as well. There's a "you should sale it and get a ..." comment I read this morning in a topic about 5.56 vs 6.5 Grendel barrels/uppers.

Don't get me started and the misuse of commas...

So, like, we all need to literally check ourselves, before we try to sale an item, here.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
freerange must live under a rock. All the grammar problems mentioned are very common in the semi-country and even more so in the suburbs.

This forum is full of syntax and spelling errors as well. There's a "you should sale it and get a ..." comment I read this morning in a topic about 5.56 vs 6.5 Grendel barrels/uppers.

So, like, we all need to literally check ourselves, before we try to sale an item, here.

In the past I thought about opening a Word document first, then typing in my comments for spell checking my nonsense then copying and pasting on here.
Then I thought F that, we are not conversing in an online grammar school or writing love letters to a prospective girlfriend, we are sharing BS on a Hunting Forum with a bunch of Redneck Bubba's MF'ers up
Posted By: kry226

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 12:42 PM

Actually, it's the non-use of commas.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by kry226

And periods there are some folks on here who will write three paragraphs as one big long sentence it gives me a headache reading that and makes me wonder where they went to school I'm not poking fun because high school was the best eight years of my life it just makes me wonder doesn't it make you wonder too.
Posted By: kry226

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 01:26 PM

roflmao Yup!
Posted By: Pootie

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 01:49 PM

I'm with you fellers!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 01:51 PM

Their you go again, trying to be dominate in a topic about grammer, and speling. I mean, so, you literally kneed to take a step back and recognize. Cuz technically, your wrong.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 01:58 PM

I hear it more so in the under 35 crowd , not all of them. “ Like” is used so often by my kids ( in their 20’s ) they don’t know how to speak without using the word.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:10 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:14 PM

I remember the good ole days when Creek would level some righteous smackdown on those caught abusing the English language. I miss those days.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw
I remember the good ole days when Creek would level some righteous smackdown on those caught abusing the English language. I miss those days.

He's getting soft in his old age. peep

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 03:26 PM

1860.colt will tutor anyone on here that needs it for reasonable compensation nidea
Posted By: Guy

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 03:35 PM

My daughter says literally all the time, it really gets on my nerves, literally.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 04:15 PM

Literally, how could anything be anything more or less than what it is?
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 09:51 PM

Add “utilize” to the list. People use it to sound educated, but it’s a stupid word that doesn’t convey anything “use” can’t.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: “Literally”… - 02/16/24 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by tenyearsgone
Add “utilize” to the list. People use it to sound educated, but it’s a stupid word that doesn’t convey anything “use” can’t.

and "reach out". im prolly outta reach so just call me.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Poppa
Originally Posted by tenyearsgone

and "reach out". im prolly outta reach so just call me.

Oh…okay…I probably shouldn’t. My eye is starting to twitch. I’ll let someone else handle this. I need to leave.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 04:36 AM

It is what is and sneaky leaves the chat. #disappointed....

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by kry226

Usually...

Yet I saw a post on another (smaller) forum Wednesday that had about four times the proper number of commas. It was not just a run-on sentence, there were commas where there was no break in speech. Weird...
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 12:09 PM

For younger people, there is NO other word more overused than "like."

"It's like, umm, like, aaa, it's like, I mean, like ya know, it's like..."

...!
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 12:14 PM

Addendum: I've never noticed the word "literally" overused, but I do have one friend who emphasizes the "t" sound and says the word with a British accent.

It's very amusing.

...------
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 12:31 PM

Yo. Like, I get it. Literally.

But, at the end of the day, it no don't matter so long as ya'll get me.

Know what I'm say'n?

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 01:54 PM

So, sure, literally.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Yo. Like, I get it. Literally.

But, at the end of the day, it no don't matter so long as ya'll get me.

Know what I'm say'n?

Word…

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 03:15 PM

I do somewhat live under a rock and if not for this forum I would be way under a rock.
I’ve heard some of what y’all are taking about but not that much. It doesn’t bother me, instead I just view it as a little odd and wonder why they do it.
I chalk it up to everyone being so different(including me) and it isn’t just grammar.
I’m sure it’s somewhat generational and what/who/where we grew up. Freud would know…
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 08:10 PM

The one that gets me is a sentence starting with “You know”. At that point, I start looking to be manipulated and am on guard.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 08:17 PM

You know, like, I literally love to hunt and fish......but technically I like cooking more.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 08:23 PM

You know, like, I literally love to hunt and fish......but technically I like cooking more.

Finally, someone gives an example of what this thread is about…..

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 09:36 PM

Bro…

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 09:51 PM

Bro…

That sentence looks a little too fragmented for our English scholars. bolt

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 09:57 PM

Look what I found.

[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/r32FC45W2JM?si=v7YCWHul1ho_37uS[/video]
Posted By: Grit

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 10:02 PM

Just use its synonyms or similar words if you don't know how to use it or don't want to use it.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/17/24 11:43 PM

Look what I found.

[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/r32FC45W2JM?si=v7YCWHul1ho_37uS[/video]

I think how she used it was fine. She was emphasizing a point that she feels most would have a hard time thinking was actually true.
For what its worth Ive never heard of her and never watched that show.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/18/24 12:46 AM

its Ive

Here I go again. You're missing two apostrophes.
dead_horse bang clap

Re: “Literally”… - 02/18/24 01:49 AM

Look what I found.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/18/24 01:51 AM

its Ive

dead_horse bang clap

roflmao

Re: “Literally”… - 02/18/24 07:58 PM

its Ive

dead_horse bang clap

If you start talking about apostrophes then we may be here awhile. That is very different than like and literally which would be considered wasted or unneeded words. Leaving out apostrophes simply saves time while typing with very little chance for confusion of intended meaning.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 02:21 AM

its Ive

dead_horse bang clap

If you start talking about apostrophes then we may be here awhile. That is very different than like and literally which would be considered wasted or unneeded words. Leaving out apostrophes simply saves time while typing with very little chance for confusion of intended meaning.

Are you making excuses for grammarphiles?

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 02:22 AM

Look what I found.

roflmao

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 02:23 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 02:26 AM

This is a photo of a billboard I took a few years ago near Texoma. It reminded me of the value of punctuation. Imagine how that would read, to that entire bottom shelf community, without that precious little comma.

[Linked Image]

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 02:35 AM

This is a photo of a billboard I took a few years ago near Texoma. It reminded me of the value of punctuation. Imagine how that would read, to that entire bottom shelf community, without that precious little comma.

[Linked Image]

No kidding. roflmao

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 03:42 AM

[Linked Image]

I agree on commas, but give me an example where apostrophes change the meaning. Probably out there but I can’t think of it.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 04:08 AM

It does change the meaning, though not in an impactful enough way that you can’t readily figure it out. It is nice to have order, though. It’s often a sign of intellect or a lack of, also. There’s exceptions. Bobo is a good one.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 04:41 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 04:42 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 04:57 AM

like, duh

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 12:24 PM

[Linked Image]

I agree on commas, but give me an example where apostrophes change the meaning. Probably out there but I can’t think of it.

You need an apostrophe in your sig line. Just saying. cheers

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 12:40 PM

[Linked Image]

This example appears to be missing the word "for" that should come after the word "cooking", not sure how or where a comma would help in that sentence.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
This example appears to be missing the word "for" that should come after the word "cooking", not sure how or where a comma would help in that sentence.

The way it is says the person likes cooking those people and animals. With commas, the meaning changes.

"I like cooking, my family, and my friends" looks a little different.

Really? "Its" is a real word and so is "it's" but they don't mean the same things.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 01:15 PM

The way it is says the person likes cooking those people and animals. With commas, the meaning changes.

"I like cooking, my family, and my friends" looks a little different.

Really? "Its" is a real word and so is "it's" but they don't mean the same things.

Why would you have a comma after the word "family" when the word "and" follows it? This is just a curiosity question.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 01:18 PM

Stub, I was taught that a comma goes there, even if it seems unnecessary. This is done when listing more than two items. However, it’s my understanding that has changed and it is acceptable to omit the comma, now.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 01:23 PM

Stub, I was taught that a comma goes there, even if it seems unnecessary. This is done when listing more than two items. However, it’s my understanding that has changed and it is acceptable to omit the comma, now.

Oh K den up

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 01:47 PM

Love this thread

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 04:36 PM

Im still waiting for an example sentence where the lack of an apostrophe changes the meaning of the sentence. Gasguzz, you're up.....
As I said before, there may be an example but I cant think of one.
I usually leave off apostrophes to save time cause I dont think it confuses my meaning. If I use them it probably means Im worried about yall giving me a hard time. I know that commas can matter so I try to use them but I definitely do not always know the proper use of commas.
Posted By: Western

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 06:06 PM

[Linked Image]

J, I hate when folks start of a sentence with "So", makes no sense to me.

Maybe we need to go back to caffeinated...Down will Sanka!!

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 07:15 PM

Would you prefer, “Here’s the deal,” or “In this day and age?”

Re: “Literally”… - 02/19/24 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Western
[Linked Image]

J, I hate when folks start of a sentence with "So", makes no sense to me.

Maybe we need to go back to caffeinated...Down will Sanka!!

Who is Sanka and what "will" they go down on confused2 bolt
Posted By: TCM3

Re: “Literally”… - 02/20/24 03:16 AM

I'm surprised Creekrunner hasn't showed, I thought he was the local grammar Nazi.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: “Literally”… - 02/20/24 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Love this thread

Let's put a period at the end of that sentence, shall we? smile ani

Re: “Literally”… - 02/20/24 03:15 PM

Love this thread

roflmao
Posted By: TLew

Re: “Literally”… - 02/23/24 09:49 PM

Im still waiting for an example sentence where the lack of an apostrophe changes the meaning of the sentence. Gasguzz, you're up.....
As I said before, there may be an example but I cant think of one.
I usually leave off apostrophes to save time cause I dont think it confuses my meaning. If I use them it probably means Im worried about yall giving me a hard time. I know that commas can matter so I try to use them but I definitely do not always know the proper use of commas.

RR's outlaw biking thread provided the answer to your question:

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

Do you also load and unload your gear in the boat ramp because it is legal to do so?

Gear?

I have a bassboat, all my gear is in the boat and stays in the boat.

All I have to at a ramp, is remove the motor toter and then back the boat up into the water.

We’ll be careful who’s buttons you push Ranger. Bicycle vs. automobile is a mighty dangerous game of chicken.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/23/24 11:23 PM

Love this thread

I’m not finished

Re: “Literally”… - 02/23/24 11:27 PM

Love this thread

I’m not finished

Now we are.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: “Literally”… - 02/24/24 12:21 AM

Love this thread

I’m not finished

When you’re not finished you…..

Re: “Literally”… - 02/24/24 01:26 AM

This thread kept me amused during a couple different toilet trips today but I think I’m done now.!.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/24/24 11:25 AM

Why would you have a comma after the word "family" when the word "and" follows it? This is just a curiosity question.

The original reason is that a list can have two meanings with and without the last comma, especially when you add the possibility of a singular item defined by the structure "noun and noun" (like beans and rice is a thing not two things when used a certain way).

Proper traditional English grammar calls for the commas as I wrote them. My Dad and I actually had a conversation about this the other day as he was taught the same as I. He graduated from High School in 1965 in a class of 13. I did so in 1993 in a class of 472 and we were taught the same way.

That last comma is now considered extraneous although both methods are considered "correct".

Don't forget to dot all your is.

Don't forget to dot all your i's.

I guess the first one doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, when an apostrophe is left out, the word often becomes a different (incorrect) word (with exception to some contractions) and that to me is enough. If you were to write "don't forget to dot all your is" when you meant "i's", I would worry about you a little. Why is any other apostrophe any less important?

Oh, I got one...

Hell wait for you!

Re: “Literally”… - 02/24/24 04:36 PM

The original reason is that a list can have two meanings with and without the last comma, especially when you add the possibility of a singular item defined by the structure "noun and noun" (like beans and rice is a thing not two things when used a certain way).

Proper traditional English grammar calls for the commas as I wrote them. My Dad and I actually had a conversation about this the other day as he was taught the same as I. He graduated from High School in 1965 in a class of 13. I did so in 1993 in a class of 472 and we were taught the same way.

That last comma is now considered extraneous although both methods are considered "correct".

Don't forget to dot all your is.

Don't forget to dot all your i's.

I guess the first one doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, when an apostrophe is left out, the word often becomes a different (incorrect) word (with exception to some contractions) and that to me is enough. If you were to write "don't forget to dot all your is" when you meant "i's", I would worry about you a little. Why is any other apostrophe any less important?

Oh, I got one...

Hell wait for you!

Thanks, Gasguzz. You are a wizz kid on this stuff, no doubt. I think you had to work really hard on the "I" dotting example.
Im(I'm) keeping in mind that I drove my old hunting truck through your neck of the woods the other day and was hoping I was your friend in case I broke down. I think there are so many times that an apostrophe is called for but not really needed that I will save the time and just wait for the few times its(it's) needed and use them then.
Its(it's) a little weird I take this stance since in most all cases in life I am a stickler for doing things the "right way" just on principal, even it it doesnt really matter. For some reason typing proper grammar is a subconscious exception I make and just dont(don't) worry about(if it saves time).
Posted By: DeRico

Re: “Literally”… - 02/25/24 03:03 AM

I like, literally don’t know what to think about this.

Re: “Literally”… - 02/25/24 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by DeRico
I like, literally don’t know what to think about this.

Toss in a “bro,” and you’ve got it figured out.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum