Texas Hunting Forum

New Car Sales

Posted By: Teal28

New Car Sales - 02/15/24 11:31 AM

Anyone work in the car sales business, or purchase a new car recently? I've been patiently looking but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Lots of talk over the past few months pointing to a "bubble" in the industry. Also with credit card debt and delinquency up at all-time highs. High auto delinquency as well. I've been to 8-10 dealerships the past several weeks, mainly on Fridays and Saturdays. Most lots are full of vehicles but very few people inside or outside looking to buy. Actually, haven't seen many people at all. Very few salesmen. Are new car sales numbers down? Not much being offered on rebates or interest rates other than Ford and GMAC offering 1.9% for 60-72 months. This is great but very little movement on MSRP price or cash back incentives.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 12:23 PM

I don’t see how they sell any and I don’t see many paper tags on the street.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 01:19 PM

The last two vehicles we bought we never stepped on the property from the dealership we purchased them from.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Teal28
Anyone work in the car sales business, or purchase a new car recently? I've been patiently looking but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Lots of talk over the past few months pointing to a "bubble" in the industry. Also with credit card debt and delinquency up at all-time highs. High auto delinquency as well. I've been to 8-10 dealerships the past several weeks, mainly on Fridays and Saturdays. Most lots are full of vehicles but very few people inside or outside looking to buy. Actually, haven't seen many people at all. Very few salesmen. Are new car sales numbers down? Not much being offered on rebates or interest rates other than Ford and GMAC offering 1.9% for 60-72 months. This is great but very little movement on MSRP price or cash back incentives.

I'm not sure about movement, unless you're looking at specific models. I've seen several advertisements for $9-12k off HD pickups (particularly RAM). Granted, that still leaves the price well above sane levels, but at least there are some deals out there to be had.

I've been looking for a used HD; 6-9 months ago there weren't any on Autotrader that were 'Great deals'. Now I'm seeing a large percentage of green tags, with hefty discounts below blue book. As inventory keeps increasing it will only get better.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 02:41 PM

Last time I was in the Toyota place, a salesman showed me one of the new Tundras. He was quick to point out that they would come significantly off the MSRP. Didn’t matter to me, I’m out on new trucks.

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 02:50 PM

I'm looking at Mid-sized SUV's. I've seen the HD trucks discounted but not the 1/2-ton trucks or SUVs other than the small SUVs. Kia, Honda and Toyota all have said they are not offering competitive financing rates at this time because they don't have too. The rebates and discounts are minimal. I plan to keep waiting. Hopefully the sales will plumet and get the pricing back in line where it should be.
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 03:00 PM

I don’t see pricing coming down at all given the rising cost of manufacturing and sourcing parts. Just my 2cents

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen85
I don’t see pricing coming down at all given the rising cost of manufacturing and sourcing parts. Just my 2cents

I would agree but if they arnt selling they will have to adjust price.

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 03:05 PM

I'm looking at Mid-sized SUV's. I've seen the HD trucks discounted but not the 1/2-ton trucks or SUVs other than the small SUVs. Kia, Honda and Toyota all have said they are not offering competitive financing rates at this time because they don't have too. The rebates and discounts are minimal. I plan to keep waiting. Hopefully the sales will plumet and get the pricing back in line where it should be.

Check out the Subaru Ascent. You can get one fully loaded out the door for under $50K which is $3K+ less than MSRP. They don’t sell nearly as well in Texas as they do in the Northern climates. .
Posted By: tlk

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 03:07 PM

I bought one late last year. Found it at a dealer online along with the pricing. Once I got there and we agreed on a price when they brought the paperwork out for me to sign I saw and extra almost $4K added on to the bottom line. When I asked the salesman he said "those are upgrades like we will replace your fob if you loose it, better floor maps, etc." I told him i did not ask nor want any of that. So he goes and gets his sales manager and this guy comes in and tells me I have to take the add ons. I told him it wasn't going to happen and I would walk out. He relented.

I later found out that this is now a pretty common trick with many dealerships. So just be aware when you do decide what and where to buy. Good luck
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Last time I was in the Toyota place, a salesman showed me one of the new Tundras. He was quick to point out that they would come significantly off the MSRP. Didn’t matter to me, I’m out on new trucks.

I am the opposite, I will only buy brand new most of the time.

If I had a buddy who had a vehicle couple years old and kept in immaculate condition and with service records and had less than 40K miles I may entertian that, otherwise I want it brand new so I know it's history.

I have had very good luck in the past with used vehicles, but they had to be almost new.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 03:10 PM

I don't know about other makes or models, but here is what Mark Dodge in Lake Charles is offering on Ram HDs as of yesterday. Different business model than dealers here in DFW in that they offer a set price structure with no negotiating. As for price, I don't think we will ever see new vehicle prices come down to sane levels related to year over year inflation. It's the new world. Note build times are very fast now. Not the 7 month wait I had last year. And because of the new rebates, it sounded like they are not having any problems selling them.

IN STOCK 2500/3500s

Total discounts reflect Dealer Discount & 10% Ram Standalone Rebate

Laramie, Longhorn, Limited, Rebel, Powerwagon

MSRP $80K-$89,999 = $17K OFF

MSRP $90K - $94,999 = $18K OFF

MSRP $95K+ = $20K OFF

Affiliate discount for those who qualify good for additional -$500

All sales subject to $425 Doc Fee, $4 Temp Tags, and your state’s taxes/registration

FACTORY ORDERS 2500/3500

Discounts shown separately reflecting dealer discount & Current Rebates

Tradesman & Bighorn = 11% Dealer Discount, $3500 Rebate from RAM

Laramie, Longhorn, Limited, Rebel, Powerwagon = 10.5% Dealer Discount + 10% RAM Rebate

Affiliate discount for those who qualify good for additional 1% off the Mark Dodge price

$1,000 Deposit to place the order, due once you have the VON# and buyers order to sign

All sales subject to $425 Doc Fee, $4 Temp Tags, and your state’s taxes/registration

All orders are price-protected ensuring that even if RAM changes the MSRP or rebate structure, you are locked in at the time of order and your sale price cannot increase – while it CAN improve if the rebates improve.

Services & Process Included for both IN-STOCK and FACTORY ORDER

We’ll coordinate your shipping directly to you, where you’ll pay the carrier upon arrival
Complimentary driven delivery within 250 miles of Mark Dodge
Complimentary airport pickup within 250 miles of Mark Dodge
No required add-ons, markups, surprise fees, nitrogen tires, locking lugnuts, etc
Freedom to finance with whoever is going to get you the best competitive rate
Complete remote/digital process available – no need to travel or even print a piece of paper
Posted By: Mr. 806

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 03:14 PM

I just bought a used 2022 Duramax with 31,000 miles. Eyeballed a few new trucks first and all were grossly overpriced. I don't have time to dance around and do the haggle BS.

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
I bought one late last year. Found it at a dealer online along with the pricing. Once I got there and we agreed on a price when they brought the paperwork out for me to sign I saw and extra almost $4K added on to the bottom line. When I asked the salesman he said "those are upgrades like we will replace your fob if you loose it, better floor maps, etc." I told him i did not ask nor want any of that. So he goes and gets his sales manager and this guy comes in and tells me I have to take the add ons. I told him it wasn't going to happen and I would walk out. He relented.

I later found out that this is now a pretty common trick with many dealerships. So just be aware when you do decide what and where to buy. Good luck

I have seen the same thing with the dealer add On's. I was told as long as its removable and reuseable they can take them off the car and the price.

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by tlk

I have seen the same thing with the dealer add On's. I was told as long as its removable and reuseable they can take them off the car and the price.

Sometimes you can make a stink and get them to reduce the add-on cost or waive it entirely. We purchased a new car last year, and everything on their lot gets a “protection package” that’s just clear door edge guards, locking lug nuts, and window tint on the front side windows for a $700 markup. I told them the tint was a dealbreaker because I planned on installing a better heat rejection film immediately, and they came down significantly on the markup.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 04:21 PM

Ford Coporate got on the dealers about unnecessary markups on new vehicles. The dealers got smart and are now registering brand new vehicles and then putting them on the used lot for over MSRP. A truck I was looking at was $5k over MSRP but listed a used with only 15 miles. Used vehicles typically come with a higher interest rate, so that a no go for me
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 05:54 PM

big discounts on the "plain" vehicles nobody wants.

If you want something cool, you will pay the high price.
Posted By: kry226

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 06:02 PM

I'm still seeing dealers selling Super Dutys at MSRP... not sure what they're smoking though. I didn't even buy mine at MSRP in November 2022 at the height of the ridiculousness.

But I usually buy new these days for a few reasons...
1. People don't take care of their vehicles like they used to. In the last 20 years, I have yet to ride in another person's vehicle that was maintained (inside and out) better than mine.
2. I often travel for work and sometimes for long durations, and I need my family back home to be in a vehicle I can trust (meaning I've done the maintenance, etc.).
3. Used vehicle prices usually make it a no-brainer that new is the better deal, especially with the electronics of the last 10 years and the necessary support of new vehicle warranties.

There are always a few exceptions, but very few.
Posted By: chalet

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 06:06 PM

I have been watching F150 prices for a couple years. Summer of 22 was the last time I talked to a dealer. For a F150 XLT crew 4x4 I was quoted around $57,000 with not a lot of them in stock. Right now web price on same spec'd truck at Grapevine Ford is $49,620 without even talking to them w/ 1.9% on a 72 month note.

I think they'll still come down more, looking to buy in June maybe now.

2023 Ford F-150 XLT Truck SuperCrew Cab V-6 cyl
$49,620
Pricing
Info
MSRP1
$60,870
Grapevine Discount
-$11,250
Grapevine Price
$49,620
Financing Offer : $2,750 on select Ford modelsDetails
-$2,750
Affiliate Offer : $1,500 on select Ford modelsDetails
-$1,500
Affiliate Offer : $1,000 on select Ford modelsDetails
-$1,000
College Grad Offer : $750 on select Ford modelsDetails
-$750
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 06:32 PM

Honda is offering decent rates on the 2024 Pilot (3.9/48) which may even get better in 60 days as the 24 inventory piles up.

Re: New Car Sales - 02/15/24 06:45 PM

Most F150 inventory is still 23 year model. Not sure if that is because of production lag or slow sales. Probably a combination.
Posted By: Alan D

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 01:17 AM

[quote=
Honda is offering decent rates on the 2024 Pilot (3.9/48) which may even get better in 60 days as the 24 inventory piles up.[/quote]

I bought a trailsport in December. They came down on the msrp a little and dropped the dealer add ons. Sales guy said they haven't had any problems selling cars bc cars get wrecked, worn out, or people just want a new one.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by chalet
I have been watching F150 prices for a couple years. Summer of 22 was the last time I talked to a dealer. For a F150 XLT crew 4x4 I was quoted around $57,000 with not a lot of them in stock. Right now web price on same spec'd truck at Grapevine Ford is $49,620 without even talking to them w/ 1.9% on a 72 month note.

$49,620
Pricing
Info
MSRP1
$60,870
Grapevine Discount
-$11,250
Grapevine Price
$49,620
-$2,750
-$1,500
-$1,000
-$750

worst dealership in NTX

on another note

My neighbor just bought a rivian suv , and my wife already hit it
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 02:12 AM

Daughter just bought a 2024 Acura MDX at 2.49% at 36 months. She was able to negotiate about $1,800 down off of asking price. Drove it today…all I can say is WOW! Very quiet and super acceleration.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 03:03 AM

Bought a 2024 GMC 2500 last week.

I'm seeing 1/2 tons sitting on the lots and dealerships offering better incentives and interest rates on those. Inventory is still slim on 3/4- and 1-Ton trucks, most are having to be ordered and the build price is the price you pay. Interest rates are current market.

I can't speak to Cars or SUV's.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by chalet

$49,620
Pricing
Info
MSRP1
$60,870
Grapevine Discount
-$11,250
Grapevine Price
$49,620
-$2,750
-$1,500
-$1,000
-$750

Terrible place
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 11:44 AM

I prefer to buy new vehicles, keep them well maintained, and drive them until the wrecking yard doesn’t want them. To me, they are tools and rides. I recently gave my granddaughter a Toyota 4Runner that I bought new. It was 12 years old, had almost 200k miles and runs like a new one. My Tundra has 150,000+ miles on it

I remember the days when cars with 100k miles were worn out.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I'm seeing 1/2 tons sitting on the lots and dealerships offering better incentives and interest rates on those. Inventory is still slim on 3/4- and 1-Ton trucks, most are having to be ordered and the build price is the price you pay. Interest rates are current market.

We sell every 2500/3500 we get within a few days of arrival. If we get more than two in at once, it's a good bet one is already sold. Price range is $85K-105K.

Next best sellers are full size SUVs. Price range is $85K-105K.

After that, it's small SUVs. Half tons are not selling new as fast as a year ago.

I myself have five vehicles, newest being 2014 (177K miles). MY wife has driven the same 2003 Denali since 2008 when I bought it used. I am not a barometer, just a witness.
Posted By: blkt2

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 01:01 PM

Needed a new work truck so I can hire someone so I went into Toyota of Dallas a couple of weeks ago late on a Friday to buy a Tacoma. Already knew which one I wanted and already knew what I was willing to pay. Told the salesman that and they said deal. Didn't have enough in any one checking account to pay for the truck out right so I gave them a deposit and told them I planned on financing. Really my intent was to pay it off with the first payment that I made. Took them forever to do the paperwork and by the time I signed it it was 2:00 in the morning. When I went to sign it I told them that their numbers weren't adding up but told them I was going to sign it anyway and I was going to look at it the next morning when I woke up and that if it didn't match up to the deal that we had agreed on I was going to bring the truck back. Got up the next morning, added things up, and discovered that the finance manager or whoever slid several thousand dollars worth of extras in on the deal after the fact. Called the salesman and told him to have the amended paperwork ready for me to sign and that I was going to be into the dealership after I got off work. Hit the dealership at about 5:00 or 6:00 on Saturday and asked for the new paperwork. Of course it wasn't ready. They hemmed and hawed and tried explaining to me how thousands of dollars added to the contract really wasn't there and that I was misunderstanding things and that I should just take the deal. Extended warranty, lifetime oil changes, tracking system, locking lug nuts for $500, Etc. These were all things that I specifically told them I had no interest in. I have an extremely short temper when it comes down to BS and finally had to tell the guy that things were going to get violent if he opened his mouth again. I told him that I had already stopped payment on the check and handed him the keys back and left with the salesman trailing me out the door pleading for me to still buy the vehicle.

Can someone explain to me what world they live in where they think it's okay to try to steal $4000 or $5,000 from someone by playing games with paperwork?

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by blkt2
Needed a new work truck so I can hire someone so I went into Toyota of Dallas a couple of weeks ago late on a Friday to buy a Tacoma. Already knew which one I wanted and already knew what I was willing to pay. Told the salesman that and they said deal. Didn't have enough in any one checking account to pay for the truck out right so I gave them a deposit and told them I planned on financing. Really my intent was to pay it off with the first payment that I made. Took them forever to do the paperwork and by the time I signed it it was 2:00 in the morning. When I went to sign it I told them that their numbers weren't adding up but told them I was going to sign it anyway and I was going to look at it the next morning when I woke up and that if it didn't match up to the deal that we had agreed on I was going to bring the truck back. Got up the next morning, added things up, and discovered that the finance manager or whoever slid several thousand dollars worth of extras in on the deal after the fact. Called the salesman and told him to have the amended paperwork ready for me to sign and that I was going to be into the dealership after I got off work. Hit the dealership at about 5:00 or 6:00 on Saturday and asked for the new paperwork. Of course it wasn't ready. They hemmed and hawed and tried explaining to me how thousands of dollars added to the contract really wasn't there and that I was misunderstanding things and that I should just take the deal. Extended warranty, lifetime oil changes, tracking system, locking lug nuts for $500, Etc. These were all things that I specifically told them I had no interest in. I have an extremely short temper when it comes down to BS and finally had to tell the guy that things were going to get violent if he opened his mouth again. I told him that I had already stopped payment on the check and handed him the keys back and left with the salesman trailing me out the door pleading for me to still buy the vehicle.

Can someone explain to me what world they live in where they think it's okay to try to steal $4000 or $5,000 from someone by playing games with paperwork?

You were in the finance department until 2:00 am to buy a $40k truck?

I’m gonna file this under things that didn’t happen….

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 01:49 PM

Last truck I bought from Grapevine Ford was in 2004 when I think they were still Payton Wright. I talked to them in 2015 when I bought my current truck but sales guy didn't know crap and I found a much better deal out at Karl Klement.

Haven't been on that lot or talked to them since even though they are about 1/4 mile from my office. Good to know they are douche bags so thanks for that info.

Last 5 vehicles I have bought I don't go to the lot til the deal is pretty much finalized via text and email. Don't have the time or patience for bs sales and finance shenanigans.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 01:59 PM

Why would you sign a contract / document that you thought was wrong in the first place.......Especially if you thought then numbers weren`t adding up.

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

We sell every 2500/3500 we get within a few days of arrival. If we get more than two in at once, it's a good bet one is already sold. Price range is $85K-105K.

Next best sellers are full size SUVs. Price range is $85K-105K.

After that, it's small SUVs. Half tons are not selling new as fast as a year ago.

I myself have five vehicles, newest being 2014 (177K miles). MY wife has driven the same 2003 Denali since 2008 when I bought it used. I am not a barometer, just a witness.

I was hoping that during the 6 month wait I had someone who ordered one would drop out and I would be able to swoop in and pick it up. Only 1 truck came available and it was black, so I passed on it.

They had an AT4 that came in about a week before I got mine that was on the lot for 3 days then sold. They have one know in thunderstorm grey that is on its 3rd day....bet it won't make the weekend.

Drove past Toyota today and they had probably 50 Tundras in stock if not more. They are flush. The Ford Dealership has about 5 Super Dutys on the lot and a handful of 150's, but some of them are the conversion models by Rocky Ridge or whatever and the others Tremors. Only a few "normal" half-tons. Ford is offering incentives on 1/2 tons and "select" models of Superdutys.

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 02:04 PM

You were in the finance department until 2:00 am to buy a $40k truck?

I’m gonna file this under things that didn’t happen….

Stick it up your rear. I am pizzed off enough about it without getting lip from people over it.

I only stepped into the back office to sign the papers and sat on my rear for hours at a desk in the showroom . There were complications because it was being purchased by an out of state company that I own and was going to be registered in that state. Took them a while to figure it out.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Daughter just bought a 2024 Acura MDX at 2.49% at 36 months. She was able to negotiate about $1,800 down off of asking price. Drove it today…all I can say is WOW! Very quiet and super acceleration.

Acuras are nice cars.

Re: New Car Sales - 02/16/24 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides

Acuras are nice cars.

The MDX is consistently rated in the top 10 for reliability. I'm not a big fan of them myself but I wouldn't hesitate to put my wife in one.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum