Texas Hunting Forum

Left headlight no workie

Posted By: angus1956

Left headlight no workie - 01/29/24 11:55 PM

Need the brain trust on this one.

2008 GMC truck.
The wife says your headlight is out on left driver side. OK I go to O'Reilly today get a new bulb and replace, still no workie. I get home check all fuses under the hood and at acces panel on left side of dash at drivers door. Still no go, what next?
Posted By: Judd

Re: Left headlight no workie - 01/30/24 12:06 AM

Get your tester out and start digging would be my next step....OR I'm at the point where frustrating things like that are well...just frustrating and I'd likely take it to the man.

Good luck angus.
Posted By: John2

Re: Left headlight no workie - 01/30/24 12:11 AM

The headlights on the vehicle are HID or high intensity discharge lights and use a different wiring set up from traditional lighting used for years. Your left and right lights are powered by separate power circuits to keep from overheating the wiring and from having both lights from failing if one circuit fails.

If only your left headlight is not working then try to turn on the high beam and see if both headlights work on high beam. If both work then check fuse #26 and left low beam relay in the engine compartment fuse box. Either the fuse is blown from the last bulb or the relay is burned out from the last bulb.

If the light still does not work then the smart junction box inside the vehicles left ’A’ pilar may be bad and would need to be checked. If you don’t feel comfortable doing these tests, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your light’s electrical wiring and make the correct repair.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Left headlight no workie - 01/30/24 12:18 AM

I had a headlight out on my wife’s infiniti. Bought bulbs after watching a vid on how to change. Looked like something i could do….two hours and a wheel, front fender/bumper, and trim removal, i realized the video was wrong and the fix was not that easy….took it to the man and got it done. Had them change out both just to be safe, and since the bulbs were not returnable.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Left headlight no workie - 01/30/24 12:35 AM

Thanks I'll give this a try.
Posted By: Phlash

Re: Left headlight no workie - 01/30/24 02:05 AM

If the fuse and bulb are good, the next likely thing to check is the ground on the left side. My 2008 Sierra was hard on headlights. The roads I traveled were washboarded and I had to change them every 2-3 years.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Left headlight no workie - 01/30/24 03:16 AM

Does your high beam work? Assuming it's a single bulb fixture.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Left headlight no workie - 01/30/24 11:15 AM

I’m pretty sure a 2008 has standard bulbs.

Step #1 PM GassGuzzler.

If you need help actually repairing it after that, PM me…
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Left headlight no workie - 01/30/24 11:49 AM

I am having issues with the right headlight on several Chevy trucks in the range of 2011-2015. The plug going into the bulb appears to be burned. I cut it off and replace it and it works. Mine uses H11 bulbs.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Left headlight no workie - 01/30/24 05:09 PM

Check wires to see if squirrel/rats have chewed through them. Late last year I had 3 small wire bundles chewed through by squirrels. Two of them were right at the connector and had a heck of a time finding replacements.
Posted By: RussellWayne

Re: Left headlight no workie - 01/30/24 05:18 PM

I owned a 2008 chevrolet that did this. Was talking to a buddy of mine who owns a body shop. He informed me that the wiring harness gets corroded on the left bulb first. Told me to reach in behind it and wiggle the connection to the lamp. I did that and low and behold it started working again. Never had the problem again.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Left headlight no workie - 01/30/24 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by stinkbelly
I am having issues with the right headlight on several Chevy trucks in the range of 2011-2015. The plug going into the bulb appears to be burned. I cut it off and replace it and it works. Mine uses H11 bulbs.

That’s a known problem with the H11, that’s why most any parts store will have that pig tail.

I don’t think the 2008 uses a H11…
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum