Texas Hunting Forum

Drain water heater completely or turn it on?

Posted By: txtrophy85

Drain water heater completely or turn it on? - 01/10/24 03:55 AM

Have a water heater in the bath house. Looking like it’s gonna have some cold temps so I am debating leaving it on (I normally keep it off when not in use) so it keeps heating up the water vs. draining it completely.

On the one hand if I leave it on and the power goes out, I’m screwed. I do keep a Heater in the bathroom as a back up.

On the other if I cannot get all the water out of the water heater via draining it and it freezes, that’s no bueno either. Low is supposed to be 15* there Tuesday.

What does the brain trust suggest?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Drain water heater completely or turn it on? - 01/10/24 04:15 AM

You’ll be fine
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Drain water heater completely or turn it on? - 01/10/24 04:52 AM

If we lose power like last time, it could split. But odds are slim, now if it was in the attic, I’d be worried. I don’t think we’re supposed to get any ice, so power should stay on, I think you’ll be ok.

I would let those water lines drip heavy or drain the bath lines if possible.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Drain water heater completely or turn it on? - 01/10/24 02:43 PM

If you decide to turn it off, leave a faucet dripping on the warm side. Moving water does freeze, but it takes awhile.
Posted By: Donpilot

Re: Drain water heater completely or turn it on? - 01/10/24 03:35 PM

When water freezes it stops moving. Slow stream just prolongs the change.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Drain water heater completely or turn it on? - 01/10/24 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Donpilot
When water freezes it stops moving. Slow stream just prolongs the change.

You're forgetting that you are continuously introducing higher temps to the system by letting it drip....
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Drain water heater completely or turn it on? - 01/10/24 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Have a water heater in the bath house. Looking like it’s gonna have some cold temps so I am debating leaving it on (I normally keep it off when not in use) so it keeps heating up the water vs. draining it completely.

On the one hand if I leave it on and the power goes out, I’m screwed. I do keep a Heater in the bathroom as a back up.

On the other if I cannot get all the water out of the water heater via draining it and it freezes, that’s no bueno either. Low is supposed to be 15* there Tuesday.

you should drain/clean your hot water heater once a year so why not
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Drain water heater completely or turn it on? - 01/10/24 08:14 PM

I would drain it. That way, if it freezes, there is room for expansion.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Drain water heater completely or turn it on? - 01/10/24 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

you should drain/clean your hot water heater once a year so why not

Was my thought as well
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Drain water heater completely or turn it on? - 01/10/24 08:41 PM

Drain the water heater.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Drain water heater completely or turn it on? - 01/10/24 09:43 PM

I drained the water heater in my cabin today The cabin won’t be used until the end of January.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum