Texas Hunting Forum

Can Not Get Into Safe

Posted By: Tbar

Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 01:31 PM

I cannot get into my dial safe. What should I try before calling a locksmith.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 01:58 PM

Find the code card and make sure you didn't get Alzheimer's

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 01:59 PM

I got it open by shifting all the numbers one digit down.

Should I have someone look at it before it gets worse?
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 02:18 PM

Only if you want in it.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by fishdfly
Only if you want in it.

roflmao Your safe's memory is slipping
Posted By: Grit

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 02:22 PM

That is one of the downsides of having a safe. I'm surprised my digital hasn't locked me out.

I always thought the mechanical dial was the ultimate in reliability. confused2
Posted By: blkt2

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 02:25 PM

Buy a used GSA approved lock off of eBay and use it on you safe. I have the tools to pull the dial and thatis usually the only hang-up in the install. Most so-called safes are not really safes and are considered residential security containers and the locks that come on them are garbage.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by blkt2
Buy a used GSA approved lock off of eBay and use it on you safe. I have the tools to pull the dial and thatis usually the only hang-up in the install. Most so-called safes are not really safes and are considered residential security containers and the locks that come on them are garbage.

Next one I buy will be a jewelers safe. Used, of course.
Posted By: blkt2

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Grit

I had the hookup on thoses for a while but the guy I got them from moved to Florida. You can still find them from time to time because a whole bunch of older houses in Highland Park have them and the people don't use them. When the houses trade hands the new owner is usually wanting to get rid of the safe and I got my last one for free simply because I was able to haul it off.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar

I went with digital pad,much much much easier.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 03:33 PM

Agree. Get a digital pad.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 03:57 PM

This happened to me years ago. On the day I was moving from one house to another, I couldn't unlock the gun safe. Locksmith did the same thing you did. Then he replaced the pins (tumblers?) once he got it open.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 03:58 PM

My dial safe numbered have drifted slightly. If a combination number used to be 25, now it’s a teeny bit past that. From what I’ve read, it comes from spinning the dial too briskly, and I did used to do that. For a short time, I couldn’t get into the safe, but read that article, added a teeny bit to the numbers, and it opened right up (not on the first try).
Posted By: chalet

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
My dial safe numbered have drifted slightly. If a combination number used to be 25, now it’s a teeny bit past that. From what I’ve read, it comes from spinning the dial too briskly, and I did used to do that. For a short time, I couldn’t get into the safe, but read that article, added a teeny bit to the numbers, and it opened right up (not on the first try).

This, I had the same issue. Seems like what I did was wrote my combination down at the top of the sheet of paper, then wrote out combinations below it adding or subtracting one to each number and started working through it. Didn't take long to figure out which number had drifted.

I went from a digital to mechanical lock. Don't have to worry about batteries, emp, shorts, etc.

Since that I have quit spinning the dial and not had any more issues.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger

I went with digital pad,much much much easier.

Never doing that again. My digital (Cabela's Outfitter was the model FWIW) failed on me as I went to get guns out to leave for a hunting trip to Kansas. Had to borrow guns that trip. Thankfully the manufacturer paid for the locksmith to get into the safe and replace the lock, but it was a huge pain at the time.

I'll take my chances with the combination, but obviously they can have issues as well..
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 05:15 PM

I've had 3 digitals drilled out on Canons. No thanks.
Posted By: jimbob

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 05:26 PM

Digitals easier for ATF
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 05:56 PM

Dials are the way to go and never spin them fast.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 06:22 PM

For those of you that went digital, did you retrofit from a dial, or just buy it as digital. I have a dial that I want to convert to digital, but I don't know what ballpark I'm even looking at, or whether it would be cheaper to get a new safe. It's a 10 or 12 gun safe, so I'm not talking about some $5000, 50 gun safe.

Thanks,
Rich
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 06:26 PM

One of my numbers is off by about a 1/2 number. If you stop directly on the number, it won't open. You have to go past it 1/2 a number for it to open. I also spin my dial quickly, which I guess I will stop doing now!
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 06:39 PM

my grandpa owned a jewelry store. He gave me the combo to his safe and bet I'd never get it open. He was right.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
One of my numbers is off by about a 1/2 number. If you stop directly on the number, it won't open. You have to go past it 1/2 a number for it to open. I also spin my dial quickly, which I guess I will stop doing now!

Yep, spinning is the worst thing for the mechanism.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 07:35 PM

I use digital now but I have an extra unit to change out if the main ever goes out.

Think Im done with the heavy safes now. Two friends with fires and nothing survived inside anyways. My next few will be https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/gun-storage/gun-safes/

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

my grandpa owned a jewelry store. He gave me the combo to his safe and bet I'd never get it open. He was right.

Are the combos that complicated?

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I use digital now but I have an extra unit to change out if the main ever goes out.

Think Im done with the heavy safes now. Two friends with fires and nothing survived inside anyways. My next few will be https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/gun-storage/gun-safes/

I used to like to look online where people would hide their guns. Folks can get real creative. False walls, drawers, hiding it in plain sight, ect... It's fascinating what people can engineer or come up with.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 08:04 PM

They are that precise.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 08:19 PM

For the good of the group, what were the two safe brands/models?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 08:27 PM

Couple of years ago the son of some folks nearby asked me to make him a bed head that would conceal firearms. It was an interesting project and he still uses it. While in the bed, open the push button lock mechanism from the bottom and it opens upward, giving access to the guns. I wonder if a lady friend ever accidentally ever opened it during uuuuuh…energetic spooning or whatever.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by TLew

I’ve seen a lot of guns that were in fire rated safes after a house fire. They were all ruined. They all contain spring steel springs. The heat treatment gets lost and that’s just the spring aspect of it. Fire safes are a waste of money in my opinion.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 11:31 PM

Combos suxs, especially if you use you safe alot. I wouldn't have a combo on mine, it's out dated and thing of the past, and just a pain if you use them alot.

All my doors on my house are electronic and well as my garage doors, and my cars are all push buttons.

Got to move into the present
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 11:37 PM

The sargent and greanleaf group II dial locks are pretty indestructible. That is what I have on mine. Never had an issue.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 11:43 PM

one was liberty, other browning. I know of another guy that lost 4 safes in a fire at his ranch in Okla but I don't know what he had, he was a sponsored beretta shooter and owns a gun range, he told me but I cant remember for the life of me His where same away, everything was toast from internal heat and or steamed to death when water hit it

I just think you are paying a premium for a false sense of security
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 11:47 PM

If it's a Liberty just contact the FBI.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose

roflmao 15pt post!!! well played
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/19/23 11:54 PM

It was 5 numbers with a precise number of turns clockwise and counterclockwise between. He could do it in his sleep.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/20/23 12:49 AM

It was 5 numbers with a precise number of turns clockwise and counterclockwise between. He could do it in his sleep.

My dexterity and eyesight is not what it used to be. Not bad, but it might complicate my opening up one that requires precise and accurate movements. Might not be so good in a situation where you might be in a hurry, as well. I will rethink the matter.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/20/23 02:45 AM

I have a Liberty and like it. The local locksmith company has a guy who gets called when there is a problem with the big bank safes. Nice guy who explains things to new owners down on the stupid level.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/20/23 11:26 AM

I wouldn't ever consider Alexa, a Ring door bell, electronic locks on the house or safe, or a push button start vehicle. I am very much a mechanical person.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/20/23 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
I wouldn't ever consider Alexa, a Ring door bell, electronic locks on the house or safe, or a push button start vehicle. I am very much a mechanical person.

Hence the fan of GMC.

peep

Back to topic, I have a digital old glory safe that if the digital lock ever fails it has a long skeletal key to open it behind the digital lock.That key is stored in an old concrete bank/floor safe that weighs over 800 lbs.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/20/23 01:21 PM

one was liberty, other browning. I know of another guy that lost 4 safes in a fire at his ranch in Okla but I don't know what he had, he was a sponsored beretta shooter and owns a gun range, he told me but I cant remember for the life of me His where same away, everything was toast from internal heat and or steamed to death when water hit it

I hear you, I also think it depends where the safe is in a building and how hot it will get there. I do love my 3200 lb AmSec

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/20/23 01:41 PM

I hear you, I also think it depends where the safe is in a building and how hot it will get there. I do love my 3200 lb AmSec

Jeez, that almost weights as much as a small car. eek2

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/20/23 02:06 PM

Fat fingers got me and I didn't realize it till you said something. It's only 2200 lbs, not quite as impressive

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/20/23 02:09 PM

Fat fingers got me and I didn't realize it till you said something. It's only 2200 lbs, not quite as impressive

Oh, that's still impressive. up
Posted By: nak

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/20/23 02:50 PM

My safe is about 1/2 number off on the second number. That is after 20 years.
I

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/20/23 03:00 PM

when Scott had in his barn(lithium/chemical fire) when it went up, he had dozens of OU that the sodering between barrels melted and the stocks charred, thats before they got hit with water and became instant rust coating, etc. Nothing was salvageable. I know he had atleast 4 safes but might if been more. He had a SXS and couple 4wheelers in there also

Think up graded insurance is probably a better piece of mind

Posted By: wp75169

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/20/23 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose

Liberty, bastards. I specifically paid extra $$ because it said made in the USA. Well if it was made in China they would have told the FBI to F off. I do what I can though.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/20/23 11:41 PM

Ya know, this thread reminds me to check the batteries in mine.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/21/23 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Ya know, this thread reminds me to check the batteries in mine.

Mine will start giving me beeping noises when my batteries start to get low, I can go 2 plus years on one 9 volt battery

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/21/23 11:07 AM

Some people stay stuck in the past, and some people progress with change

I love modern technology it makes my life easier
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/21/23 11:39 AM

Until it doesn't operate. I work with others' technology all day and don't need it in my life.

Originally Posted by Superduty

Hence the fan of GMC.

No, see above. Exact opposite.
Posted By: 71Rcode

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/21/23 12:28 PM

I'm with Gas. There is a level of privacy/DIY compromise that comes with some modern tech that I won't touch. However, admitting my wife's car is push button start and the safe has an electronic lock.
Posted By: John2

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/22/23 08:12 PM

Here is a different safe question.
Is it safer to keep paper money in the safe or in a can in the freezer in case of a fire ?.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/22/23 11:03 PM

Lots of thoughts here and I’ve always questioned the safe. I have too many guns, important legal and personal documents, wills, and huge coin collection that I started over 60 years ago.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/22/23 11:22 PM

https://www.amazon.com/fire-resistant-bags/s?k=fire+resistant+bags
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/22/23 11:34 PM

Never knew there was such a thing. Not surprised though. Thanks.
Posted By: John2

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/23/23 12:57 AM

Thank you sir up
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/23/23 03:26 AM

Until an EMP smokes all of it.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Can Not Get Into Safe - 12/23/23 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by John2

Ditto.

All but one safe is old-school mechanical. I have our old company safe in the garage. 'Grandfather bought it used in 1931. PITA (and expensive) to move.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum