Texas Hunting Forum

Old bricks

Posted By: MeanGreen85

Old bricks - 10/16/23 06:01 PM

Anyone know anything about Mexia bricks?
Posted By: C.K.

Re: Old bricks - 10/16/23 06:10 PM

No, am I'm not a brick expert at all but I just came into a bunch of "Grosebeck Reds" and through researched learned that they were made up to 1938.

Mexia bricks kind of look similar to the Grosebeck Reds based on an image search of them
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Old bricks - 10/19/23 09:59 AM

I helped rip up the old railway platform in Waco about 30 years ago. Every brick had the name of the town it was made in molded into it. Probably a dozen or so towns as I recall. Other than that they all appeard the same. Larger than modern bricks. I took a truckload or two home and laid a patio with them. Looked really nice.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Old bricks - 10/19/23 11:13 AM

I once got a bunch of ancient bricks that were original when Fort Worth first bricked some roads. Then one day they were missing. Found out that grandsons had hauled them to the stock tank and were using them as fish attractors. They are still there.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Old bricks - 10/19/23 02:54 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: D.O.C.989

Re: Old bricks - 10/19/23 04:18 PM

Some bricks used to be collector items but they are becoming more scarce since the democrats and antifa made a run on them.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Old bricks - 10/19/23 04:25 PM

I've got a small old brick collection. D'Hanis is of course the most common down here. I think I have a Mexia. 'Have an old Acme too. I worked at the Denton Acme plant when I was in college. 'Loaded them in the kiln and had to go after the stuck carts with a winch, wearing a fire suit, after the kiln was shut down. That's an eery feeling. I was also a greaser some nights. True story.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Old bricks - 10/19/23 06:49 PM

There were dozens of brick companies across Texas. I watch for them same as I do hunting arrowheads, fossils, and such. Walking creeks and rivers is always fun. You never know what you might find. My flower beds are lined with old bricks. I have found some real interesting ones and ones local to me. The Carrollton bricks I have are over 100 years old. One could find them in a creek in Carrollton next to where the brick factory had been built in 1904, but it has long since been rechanneled and rocked, so no longer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum