Texas Hunting Forum

Trucks cost $$$

Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 08:19 PM

I don't understand why anyone would pay for a truck the way the prices are today, even though the cost appears to have gone down some. Everytime I see a truck that peaks my interest it ends up being almost 100k and I bet it's no better than the 40k truck I drive. What's your thoughts on the current truck prices and where will the prices go?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 08:22 PM

Stand pat. They're nuts. Let the market work...without you in it.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 08:27 PM

Never getting rid of my 09!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 08:41 PM

You're killin' it with that retirement plan! banana2
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

I'm telling you......

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 09:31 PM

I'm trying. I'm in a transitioning phase where I'm wanting to trade in my F250 with 6" of lift and big tires for something with comfort. It's almost like I'm going from crazy 20's stage to old fart/back hurts stage of life. The prices don't make sense though.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 09:35 PM

Bought mine brand spankin new in 2015. At this rate, it'll need to last me until 2030 or later.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 09:54 PM

My ‘19 is gonna have to last a long time.
Posted By: NGHTTRN

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 09:59 PM

Yeah, not trading mine any time soon.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
My ‘19 is gonna have to last a long time.

Hoping my 18 is my last one.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:10 PM

prices are stupid. I told someone today I hope my Ecoboost goes to 300K.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:12 PM

prices dashed my thoughts of getting another pick up. Guess I'm stuck with my mall cruiser. I'm always lookin though.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by BarneyWho

Ill be right behind you. Shooting for 310 smile

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
prices dashed my thoughts of getting another pick up. Guess I'm stuck with my mall cruiser. I'm always lookin though.

used Bronco are coming down. I bet by end of the year you will be able to find a big bend model with low miles in low 40’s
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:22 PM

My 2023 will be picked up Monday I believe, worse case Tuesday!

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Superduty

Do you mind me asking the price tag on that beauty?
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:25 PM

I don’t think they have really gone up anymore than everything else has. Everything across the board costs more. If I needed one I would buy one and if I didn’t I wouldn’t. Most people who think they need a new vehicle don’t. I have bought 18 brand new vehicles in the past ten years and finally realized how dumb it is. I have paid cash every one of them so financially they are not destroying me but who cares? I now drive a 2004 pickup with 150k miles, It gets me everywhere fine and I enjoy driving it. The AC, stereo, and power seats and windows all work.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

I am getting it below msrp, just shy of 90 is the msrp.

To put it into comparison my 2017 King Ranch was 76.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

used Bronco are coming down. I bet by end of the year you will be able to find a big bend model with low miles in low 40’s

I'm a gamer at that price...but high 50's to 60's I'm OUT!

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Judd

Come on Judd! Has Giles EVER been right on one of his predictions? roflmao

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:38 PM

Come on Judd! Has Giles EVER been right on one of his predictions? roflmao

nope …. I'm late

2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 4-Door 4WD - $44,197

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Use...02#listing=357781945/NONE/STORE_TRANSFER

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:43 PM

nope …. I'm late

low miles. you are right!!!!!
roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Guy

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:49 PM

$100k for a truck is insane. My wife wants me to get a new truck, new boat too. You guessed it, I'm the finance person, not her.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 10:59 PM

I know you will enjoy it, congrats.
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 11:02 PM

I bought my 2017 F250 for 50k in 2017.

I want to buy a F150 for 70k.

My F250 is now worth 54k.

I will buy a new F150 for 70k, so 16k out of pocket.

The 16k is about what I pay for a new truck when I trade in my old one over the last 20 years.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 11:04 PM

nope …. I'm late

low miles. you are right!!!!!
roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 11:09 PM

I know you will enjoy it, congrats.

Thank you.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 11:15 PM

I paid $67k drive out for my 2017 F250 KR Ultimate brand new and sold it for $58k in November 2021 with 99k miles. I've been driving my 2000 7.3PS since then. I need to buy a truck this year for tax purposes but will probably get my wife something instead. Prices are silly and if I didn't need the tax break it wouldn't even be on the radar.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 11:46 PM

2023 F-150 King Ranch with all the options $76,xxx plus tt&l

2023 bronco Big Bend with all the options $60k. Didn’t get to any negotiation stage, I didn’t like it once I drove it.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 11:52 PM

Like me, some people need a truck and don't have many other options. Or a fella could buy used in this market and pay almost new prices. Nope. Not to mention, people don't take care of their rides these days like they did 30-40 years ago... or they've ghetto modded them so badly so as to almost permanently neuter the danged thing.

Should pick up my 2023 F350 around July 3.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169

2023 bronco Big Bend with all the options $60k. Didn’t get to any negotiation stage, I didn’t like it once I drove it.

Can you expound on what you didn't like about the Bronco?
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/25/23 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Bought mine brand spankin new in 2015. At this rate, it'll need to last me until 2030 or later.

Same. Just now hit 100k
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 12:29 AM

Have to have a truck. Could get by with a half ton but like the resale of the diesel, not to mention loaded half ton prices are not much different than well appointed diesel prices.

Use it for work so it’s a cost of doing business.

I do think the prices are ridiculous for a new truck though. Paid $52 for my 17’ and $72k for the same truck in 21’. An $20k increase in 4 years is pretty steep imo

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Indeed. It is exactly what it is supposed to be. An off road vehicle that is street able.

The engine is very loud inside the cabin, even at idle. The seats are slightly too small for my significantly over weight self. Road noise is right on up there with economy cars. This was the most optioned one available so it wasn’t the economy model.

Bottom line my round trip is over 100 miles per day and it didn’t have the creature comforts I wanted. It would be great for some, and even for me, but not as a daily driver.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 12:51 AM

Indeed. It is exactly what it is supposed to be. An off road vehicle that is street able.

The engine is very loud inside the cabin, even at idle. The seats are slightly too small for my significantly over weight self. Road noise is right on up there with economy cars. This was the most optioned one available so it wasn’t the economy model.

Bottom line my round trip is over 100 miles per day and it didn’t have the creature comforts I wanted. It would be great for some, and even for me, but not as a daily driver.

Thank you. Pretty much sounds like my wife's Jeep, love the looks...hate the ride!
Posted By: DukeCigars

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 01:00 AM

Thank you. Pretty much sounds like my wife's Jeep, love the looks...hate the ride!

Because Jeeps are like high school cheerleaders. Look great but [censored] useless

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 01:12 AM

My experience with the bronco was the same. Drove a loaded badlands and an outer banks.

Found both to be comfortable inside. Room isn’t an issue but I’m not a huge guy. Road noise is real especially at highway speeds. Power was adequate in both the 4 banger and 6 cyl model.

Would be a fun runabout but wouldn’t work for me as a daily driver and wouldn’t want it on long trips or even long stretches of highway. Really it’s almost identical to a 4 door Jeep in terms of usability and pros/cons.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 01:53 AM

I own a loaded out Bronco and also have a 4 door JK that my son drives. The Bronco is light years ahead of the Jeep in terms of ride and power.

Both are shaped like bricks and loud, but the Bronco starts getting obnoxious about 20 MPH after the Jeep does.

Agree I wouldn't use it as a daily driver if my daily drive involved interstate or toll-way. I bought it as a toy for around town. Top stays off and it stays in the garage.
Posted By: J.R.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 02:03 AM

Manufacturers are simply charging what enough of us are willing to pay. It’s simple…when enough consumers start fixing their trucks as opposed to buying new, manufacturers will be forced to come back down to earth. L

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 02:12 AM

Well they didn’t have any trucks to sell for over a year so it’ll be a while before the market correction comes.
Posted By: batman

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 03:04 AM

The 100k are the top of the line loaded trucks. They’re still expensive, but not all new trucks are that high.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 03:12 AM

Remember, if you don’t buy it someone else will! Fact!!!!
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 03:22 AM

Mine is an 04 been paid off for 18 years. F350 V10 SRW 9mpg

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be

wonder if big orn is still driving his.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 03:37 AM

He spoke highly about them I have 110k on mine it's been a great truck!
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 11:29 AM

We've sold almost a dozen $80K+ 2500s this week.

I made one ready yesterday that will sell before the weekend is over for over $100K. 2024 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate L5P diesel 10-speed.

I own five vehicles and the newest is the 2014 Equinox I just got this year. 177K miles and total invested is about $289.00. Yes, under three hundred. The oldest is the highest miler, 2003 Yukon Denali (MSRP $58K, owned since 2008) with 184-ish thousand. The lowest mile car ... 2004 Bonneville with 110K miles.

I will likely never buy another new car. Suits me. The complexity is getting really stupid.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 01:45 PM

My 2010 Tundra has 235,000 miles on it and is still going strong. I’m dreading the cost of a new one.

I buy new vehicles and keep them until the wrecking yard doesn’t want them.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 02:16 PM

I had that same thought and waited a few years for the prices to come down to reason. That stupid idea probably cost me $20,000. With inflation the spending power of the dollar is only going to go down and prices are only going to continue to go higher. This thread conversation about ridiculous prices was the same 10 years ago and will be the same 10 years from now.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper John

I had that same thought and waited a few years for the prices to come down to reason. That stupid idea probably cost me $20,000. With inflation the spending power of the dollar is only going to go down and prices are only going to continue to go higher. This thread conversation about ridiculous prices was the same 10 years ago and will be the same 10 years from now.

Except 10 years ago there wasn't a "shortage" and you could negotiate your price.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 02:20 PM

He spoke highly about them I have 110k on mine it's been a great truck!

last I remember he was at 250 and still going strong
Posted By: thegrouse

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 02:26 PM

My newest vehicle is a 2002 with 220k. Still going strong, every time I think of the price of a new one I cringe. My last new vehicle purchase for myself was a 2000. I think if this one ever dies I will buy new and wear it out.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by TexFlip
Originally Posted by Sniper John

Except 10 years ago there wasn't a "shortage" and you could negotiate your price.

I was able to get 10.5 % below msrp locked in early this year on a 2500. And could have done same the year before if I had known what high volume dealers were offering on orders. But yes DFW dealers were still over msrp and have been higher than they should be like forever.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 03:15 PM

I've got less than 50K miles on my 2017, so plan on keeping it at least 5 more years. Maybe 10 if it doesn't cause me any issues. Prices are just plain nuts right now.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 05:12 PM

They figured out that keeping inventory low means they can charge more. As long as people keep paying it, they will keep charging it.

I bought my '18 knowing it would rack up miles quickly, with a planned trade-in on a new one sometime last year at around 200k. Well, I'm still in the '18 with over 230k on it and refuse to pay what they want for a new one now. More expensive and less reliable, no thanks. I'll just keep feeding mine parts til it dies or some sanity returns to the market.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 07:51 PM

We just buy the bullet and bought the wife a 2023 GMC YUKON XL AT4, for tax purposes and because the Nissan was quickly becoming unreliable. $88k and change but no mark up, no dealer add on bs, and they gave us a much higher trade in value than anywhere in DFW would have for our 2018 Nissan Armada.

We haven’t had a payment in 3 years and cringed when making that $600 a month payment. Now it’s $1148 a month barf

My 2014 Ram is at 205,xxx miles and climbing. I’m afraid I’ll be buying a new truck in January for tax purposes.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 08:18 PM

Buying anything for tax purposes is dumb. At most if you 179 it a purchase saves you your marginal tax rate. The highest tax bracket is 37% for those making over 578k single or 693k married. This means if you were in that bracket and spend 100k on a truck it saves you 37k in taxes. If you truly needed the truck for your business it makes sense to buy one but if you didn't need it you would be much better off paying your 37k in taxes and keeping the 63k to invest or whatever.

I mean why spend 100k on something you don't need to avoid paying 37k in taxes especially when this thing you are buying is going to cost a ton to insure and probably won't be worth half what you paid for it in a few short years?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 08:28 PM

eeks333
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 09:31 PM

Ill be right behind you. Shooting for 310 smile

My last F150 went 340K. I bought a new one in 2017, and thought the prices were ridiculous then! I'm shooting for 340K again.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sewer rat
Buying anything for tax purposes is dumb. At most if you 179 it a purchase saves you your marginal tax rate. The highest tax bracket is 37% for those making over 578k single or 693k married. This means if you were in that bracket and spend 100k on a truck it saves you 37k in taxes. If you truly needed the truck for your business it makes sense to buy one but if you didn't need it you would be much better off paying your 37k in taxes and keeping the 63k to invest or whatever.

I mean why spend 100k on something you don't need to avoid paying 37k in taxes especially when this thing you are buying is going to cost a ton to insure and probably won't be worth half what you paid for it in a few short years?

Nothing says you have to pay cash. As far as I remember you only have to keep the vehicle for 2 years from date of purchase. So $1148 X 24 months is $27,552. Our savings should be $28,160. The fuel, insurance, and other expenses are a moot point because we had to pay that on the other vehicle.

So yeah it does help. But like I said, her Nissan was giving us issues I didn’t feel like spending money chasing.

Believe me, I would much rather continue with no payments, but I would also not like to pay Uncle Sam money that I don’t have to.

It’s all a wash

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 09:48 PM

Bought a new 2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 $28k out the door with a camper top, it's a great truck, all I need for my boat. Just hit 100,000 miles. I hope when I need a new truck in a couple years prices come down.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/26/23 11:06 PM

That reminds me that I need a boat more than a new truck. Have you seen boat prices?

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 12:29 AM

That reminds me that I need a boat more than a new truck. Have you seen boat prices?

About the same as a truck if that is your choice, especially for a nice bass boat, $100k.

Me, my boat there bought 2013, 2005 gatortrax paid $5k, $7k for a brand new 35hp Mudbuddy motor. The boat will last forever. I want to get a new motor, same thing not that much more probably $9k, but I want a better motor probably $12k. But I just put a new clutch in last year, it’s a great motor but I would like reverse and more HP.

But yeah, your are looking at $200k truck and boat for the 1 uppers, that’s probably too low. roflmao

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Guy

About the same as a truck if that is your choice, especially for a nice bass boat, $100k.

Me, my boat there bought 2013, 2005 gatortrax paid $5k, $7k for a brand new 35hp Mudbuddy motor. The boat will last forever. I want to get a new motor, same thing not that much more probably $9k, but I want a better motor probably $12k. But I just put a new clutch in last year, it’s a great motor but I would like reverse and more HP.

But yeah, your are looking at $200k truck and boat for the 1 uppers, that’s probably too low. roflmao

I have. Sky high! I can help you finance one, BTW. grin

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by Guy

Are they still doing 10-15 year terms? What interest?

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by Guy

Are they still doing 10-15 year terms? What interest?

15-20 depending on price. Lowest rates are around 7.5%

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 03:57 AM

Boat prices are outrageous. You can easily spend $150k for a bay boat.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 11:10 AM

The truth is the shortages (of vehicles, not some parts) are pretty much over and the prices will come back down. Some dealers are already having "sales" again. Us selling a bunch of 2500s all in a small time frame is because they were hard to come by specifically. Now that they're coming in (just like almost all other models), they sales will die back down.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sewer rat

+1
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
The truth is the shortages (of vehicles, not some parts) are pretty much over and the prices will come back down. Some dealers are already having "sales" again. Us selling a bunch of 2500s all in a small time frame is because they were hard to come by specifically. Now that they're coming in (just like almost all other models), they sales will die back down.

Hoping that to be the case.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by joebass2
[quote=Sewer rat]Buying anything for tax purposes is dumb. At most if you 179 it a purchase saves you your marginal tax rate. The highest tax bracket is 37% for those making over 578k single or 693k married. This means if you were in that bracket and spend 100k on a truck it saves you 37k in taxes. If you truly needed the truck for your business it makes sense to buy one but if you didn't need it you would be much better off paying your 37k in taxes and keeping the 63k to invest or whatever.

If you’re in business you have to replace your equipment and vehicles in most cases. They don’t last forever. It’s gonna happen eventually so it’s nice to be able to take the depreciation on the asset and save a little $$ going to taxes.

But I agree. Buying just to buy is like spending a dollar to save 28-37 cents.

I trade off every two or three years as that’s when my trucks are approaching the 200k mile mark. Glad to have that write off option.

Posted By: Western

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 02:34 PM

Seems "buying for tax reasons" holds more water now as long as the used market stays strong and at the new prices, I don't see the used market going anywhere quick.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Western
Seems "buying for tax reasons" holds more water now as long as the used market stays strong and at the new prices, I don't see the used market going anywhere quick.

Friends that are in the used business are predicting strong values for used cars and trucks continuing into the foreseeable future

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 06:06 PM

Btw with my pix, I’m trying to one down all the one uppers.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

Simmer down Guy…you ain’t one upping anyone with a wannabe truck. We’ve been thru this with Buzz’s Titan roflmao

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

Simmer down Guy…you ain’t one upping anyone with a wannabe truck. We’ve been thru this with Buzz’s Titan roflmao

That’s why I said I was one downing everyone, you big fat dummy.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/27/23 08:28 PM

I don't think you can one down a Titan. there is a reason only 15,000 of them were made last year.

Re: Trucks cost $$$ - 05/28/23 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Guy

That’s why I said I was one downing everyone, you big fat dummy.

SMH…
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum