Texas Hunting Forum

Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice?

Posted By: freerange

Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 04:46 PM

Im about to book a flight for May 6 from DFW to Denver and back two days later. Im trying to decide between Southwest, Frontier or United. The pricing and times arent that much different. I rarely fly so Im not sure what else I should factor in. I dont care about minor differences in small amenities. I just wanna get there and back.
My main concern would be if there is any inherent differences in the airlines. Im not a big city guy so not excited about parking and security issues, so is there a difference there? Im assuming Southwest is still outa Love Field and I havent flown outa there in decades. I understand its easier to make last minute changes to flight times on SW and that has me leaning that way.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 04:54 PM

Also look into flying into Colorado Springs. I's about an hour drive, and often much cheaper. When we go to CO, we fly in there. It saves a lot. We always fly American.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 04:58 PM

Are you actually going to Denver or somewhere close by? Might check JSX -- not sure their seasonal schedules based on where you trying to get to
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 04:59 PM

If you are using DFW airport, American should be the least expensive, and most on time.......historically.

Atlanta- Delta
Houston- United
Phoenix- Southwest.....etc.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 04:59 PM

I fly American and hate everything about SW...but based upon your three I'd fly SW because Dallas Love is a hub for SW and a huge presence (not sure they call Denver a hub, they might) in Denver.

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 05:06 PM

actually going to ft collins. Sons running a Marathon to qualify for Boston. Grandson likely in baseball playoffs the Sat I fly out so cutting it close.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by topwater13
If you are using DFW airport, American should be the least expensive, and most on time.......historically.

Atlanta- Delta
Houston- United
Phoenix- Southwest.....etc.

Exactly

AA is based at DFW
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 05:13 PM

Take into account baggage and other fees. I typically fly AA.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 05:40 PM

1 AA, 2 frontier early morning with kids with no connecting, and 3rd SW.
if flying out of dfw, we typically park in express north or south and also prepay the parking online. Heavily discounted. For 2 days, I’d prepay and park at the terminal for a few dollars more.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 05:43 PM

You do not want to drive from Co Springs to Ft Collins to see him run.
The drive from DIA to Ft Collins is bad enough, traffic and road construction.
Avoid rush hour on I-25 or you may be sitting at every construction area.
Ask about if you can use the Toll Way with your rental.
If so take E470 to I-25 North then up to FC.

Eat at Rio Grande if you have time, on Mountain downtown.
Liv Well is just North of there on 287 if you are so inclined.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 05:53 PM

Frontier is what I took before I quit traveling by air.

Frontier Airlines is a major ultra-low-cost U.S. airline headquartered in Denver, Colorado.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 06:02 PM

I'd walk to Denver barefoot on broken glass before I'd fly Southwest, and I put American about one small notch ahead of them. I'd still walk, but maybe not on broken glass.

SWA treats you like cattle at the slaughter house, so they're out.

Out of the others, and I fly quite a bit, they're all going to have issues right now. What I've found is that when you do have issues, United is by the far the easiest to work with. AA is almost impossible.

AA is fine if the flight actually leaves, but if they cancel it, change it, etc. you're in for a miserable time.

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 06:13 PM

As usual, there are lots of different opinions on here. My daughter flies a lot. She told me a lot of people dont seem to like SW but she flies them quite a lot and has no problem.
Im still wanting feedback but Im leaning towards SW. The pricing isnt enough difference to me. One plus is its my understanding they are easier to work with if changes in flights need to be made and that could happen. Also, a biggee for me is that I think Love Field will be a lot easier for me to deal with. DFW can be a little daunting to a guy thats not a regular of the big city.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 06:24 PM

Two of my daughters live in Colorado, one in Denver one in Idaho Springs. They fly to DFW often, one just last week. United, hands down. Service, the experience, dependability, etc........they have great things to say. I always fly American, but they way they rave about United I'd give them a hard look.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 06:47 PM

American, as stated above Will not fly southwest.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 06:58 PM

Try JSX. No security to speak of, out of love field, and a nice experience. You also get to skip Denver International Airport since they fly into Boulder
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 07:44 PM

Flying out of DFW, if you do, there are a couple of hotel/motels near the airport that give you free parking for a couple of days if you spend a night in the hotel. And they will shuttle you to your gate. That’s what we always did when going out of DFW. The shuttle will pick you up upon return.

We always used the Hilton Garden Inn. Nice bar and a decent breakfast. Get on the shuttle and low stress it to the gate. It’s not far, just down the road, from Grapevine.

It was absolutely the lowest stress approach to flying out of DFW. It almost eliminated my hate of flying out of there.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
As usual, there are lots of different opinions on here. My daughter flies a lot. She told me a lot of people dont seem to like SW but she flies them quite a lot and has no problem.
Im still wanting feedback but Im leaning towards SW. The pricing isnt enough difference to me. One plus is its my understanding they are easier to work with if changes in flights need to be made and that could happen. Also, a biggee for me is that I think Love Field will be a lot easier for me to deal with. DFW can be a little daunting to a guy thats not a regular of the big city.

If you fly SW then pay a bit more to be further towards the front in the boarding line. That way you get to pick your seat and hopefully not get stuck in the middle.

4,248,103 miles on AA as of today.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 10:08 PM

airport ease I’d go to DFW

United or American.

American is DFW major market holder
United is Denver’s major market holder

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 10:33 PM

Bobo, are you saying DFW is an easier airport to navigate than Love???? Thats the main reason im leaning to Love so somebody chime in on that.
I really appreciate all the feedback from so many. Im taking it all in.
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 11:06 PM

I fly to Denver once a month on American but for work.
Posted By: helomech

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/30/23 11:57 PM

I would drive. I so hate flying commercial.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 01:21 AM

Bobo, are you saying DFW is an easier airport to navigate than Love???? Thats the main reason im leaning to Love so somebody chime in on that.

As long as you know the alphabet, terminals are a,b,c,d.....Terminal A being north end..pretty simple.

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 02:23 AM

the airport for love is easier to navigate, but getting there is more complicated, so Its a toss up.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 03:35 AM

Neither airport is difficult. You don't like people and such you say... then DFW... valet, 1st class. Otherwise step up your game, like TLew said, and fly semi-private or go balls deep and fly private. The sky is the limit. Other end of the spectrum fly Southwest and pay the upgrade for early bird check-in and priority boarding whatever so you don't have to deal with the "cattle call" many like to cite (because they're cheap and didn't do upgrades).

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 03:51 AM

its all about what you are use too.

Im in and out of both airports a bunch but if I have to go to DownTown, Ill get a car service, Uber, etc. To much of a pain to drive and try to park, so i get the hesitation
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 01:11 PM

This is not that complicated. Assuming Southwest's fares are in line with American or United, use the airport that is closest to you. They are both very easy to fly out of. Small children fly alone every day on flights longer than 2 hours, you've got this.

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by helomech

I freaking love flying commercial

Upgrade, you get on plane they have champange and cold cuts waiting for you, along with slippers, toothbrush, sleep mask, you chair folds down 180 degree to make a bed, they come by and feed you a awesome meal or snack about every two hours.

Flying is great
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger

Upgrade, you get on plane they have champange and cold cuts waiting for you, along with slippers, toothbrush, sleep mask, you chair folds down 180 degree to make a bed, they come by and feed you a awesome meal or snack about every two hours.

Flying is great

Yeah, you're not going to get that on a flight to Denver.

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 03:03 PM

Ok guys, call off the dogs. I booked a flight with SW. The airport has GOT to be easier to navigate and I understand if I have to cancel or change flight they have better options. I will be shocked if I feel like I am being herded like cattle, but if I am I will let you know.
To Mickey Moose, I never ever said I "dont like people." I dont know where you got that. I do hate big city traffic. I lived in Dallas when younger and the traffic didnt bother me much. I dont know if its older age or Ive gotten used to lesser traffic but I dont do good in heavy traffic while watching a gps thingy.
Ive lived a pretty fast paced life until retiring, and now I have just turned down the speed on everything and dont do well when I occasionally try to turn it up for the big city pace.
I really do appreciate everyones comments.

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling

Flying is great

I usually only fly International
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling

Flying is great

I usually only fly International

JAL or Emirates...best customer service and commercial flying experience.

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 03:26 PM

Curious as to what time you arrive in Denver and what day ? Saturday in will be fine, not near as much traffic on I-25 up to Ft Collins.
Time your return trip after or before rush hour or make sure you leave enough time to navigate the traffic on I-25 again.

Looked at the race map.
Make sure you check the weather and your son needs to be prepared for cold and maybe snow up near the start.
Finish is near Rio Grande Restaurant, eat there if you can.
Beau Jo's Pizza is good too, mountain pies.
Quite a few distilleries and breweries in Ft Collins if you have the time and want to check them out.

High elevation race, hope he does well and you have a nice trip! Safe travels in May.

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Dude Abides

JAL or Emirates...best customer service and commercial flying experience.

Flown JAL many time, I had a cute hostess wake me up around 3 am asking me if would like some porridge in their whisper voice the females speak in Japan.

Flown Korean Air Prestige Class many time from DFW to Icheon/Seoul onto Manila, top notch as well.

Never done Emirate but heard they were top notch and had showers on the planes, they all have cute and sexy hostesses, but this is common once you fly international on a non US based carrier.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 03:46 PM

Southwest.
The airlines are all the same. Lovefield makes it worthwhile.

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex
Curious as to what time you arrive in Denver and what day ? Saturday in will be fine, not near as much traffic on I-25 up to Ft Collins.
Time your return trip after or before rush hour or make sure you leave enough time to navigate the traffic on I-25 again.

Looked at the race map.
Make sure you check the weather and your son needs to be prepared for cold and maybe snow up near the start.
Finish is near Rio Grande Restaurant, eat there if you can.
Beau Jo's Pizza is good too, mountain pies.
Quite a few distilleries and breweries in Ft Collins if you have the time and want to check them out.

High elevation race, hope he does well and you have a nice trip! Safe travels in May.

Wytex, I appreciate this and your earlier comment as well. Once we get closer I had considered giving you a shout since you seem to know the ropes.
I dont know much about various elevations but he does. I think he told me this one is LOWER than what hes used to. He trains everyday(90 miles a week) around Salida Colo and I think he says thats 7000 to 9000ish. All of his training and his previous 3 races have all been on mountain trails. This one is a "road race" and will be his first.

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Southwest.
The airlines are all the same. Lovefield makes it worthwhile.

Thanks Reeltexan. I can understand people that fly all the time are going to pick apart every little difference but I fly infrequently enough that as long as we dont crash Ill be ok.

Re: Fly DFW to Denver-Airline choice? - 03/31/23 04:30 PM

Cool, didn't realize he lived and ran at altitude.
I go down to Ft Collins frequently for shopping and we travel down through that area every year to Texas.
Know it pretty well from those trips over the last 35+ years.

Part of the race route is a nice windy, mountain highway along the Poudre River I think it is. Should be very high in May, might be before runoff starts though. Good fishing along it at the right times.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum