Texas Hunting Forum

Could you live on an island?

Posted By: txtrophy85

Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 02:46 AM

Scenario:

500 acre island. Location can be either Tropical or Temperate. You can have as many guests as you would like, but cannot leave for 5 years. On the island you live in the same house you live in now.

There is one 4 legged animal ( goat/ sheep , pig, deer ) that is available for hunting ( keep in mind population is limited as your on an island, so you wouldn’t want to hunt every day ) fishing is an option along with whatever wild fowl comes across. Internet, TV and all that exists and you will have 3 hours access daily to be online, phones during this time and books at your disposal are whatever you currently have in your home. Food and dry goods are delivered bi-weekly, but you’re not lacking for modern items or having to catch/kill your dinner as your only means to eat. Hunting and fishing would be more recreational than survival.

Could you do it comfortably?
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 02:52 AM

Assuming I don't have to work to pay the bills, and I can fish, sign me up! Ive got a pretty good library and I assume I could download ebooks during my daily internet time. I lived in Alaska for about 3 1/2 years with no TV, so I'm sure I'd be fine.

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
Assuming I don't have to work to pay the bills, and I can fish, sign me up! Ive got a pretty good library and I assume I could download ebooks during my daily internet time. I lived in Alaska for about 3 1/2 years with no TV, so I'm sure I'd be fine.

No working for income, whatever labor you do is to improve the situation on the island. Tools at your disposal is whatever you currently own. Fishing is an option 100% of the time from the shore.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

No working for income, whatever labor you do is to improve the situation on the island. Tools at your disposal is whatever you currently own. Fishing is an option 100% of the time from the shore.

I would pay a significant sum.of.money for this arrangement.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 03:04 AM

Absolutely. You can keep the internet and tv too. And I’d prefer to enact a very strict limitation on guests.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 03:17 AM

Do I have to allow guests?
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 03:23 AM

I’ll go days without talking with anyone in person right now. I have found peace in the silence and solitude. I think I’d do just fine on the island.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 03:39 AM

Yes I could do it. I go weeks without seeing or talking to anybody other than the wife and we don't talk very often. The older I get the more I turn into a hermet.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 03:50 AM

Scenario:

500 acre island. Location can be either Tropical or Temperate. You can have as many guests as you would like, but cannot leave for 5 years. On the island you live in the same house you live in now.

There is one 4 legged animal ( goat/ sheep , pig, deer ) that is available for hunting ( keep in mind population is limited as your on an island, so you wouldn’t want to hunt every day ) fishing is an option along with whatever wild fowl comes across. Internet, TV and all that exists and you will have 3 hours access daily to be online, phones during this time and books at your disposal are whatever you currently have in your home. Food and dry goods are delivered bi-weekly, but you’re not lacking for modern items or having to catch/kill your dinner as your only means to eat. Hunting and fishing would be more recreational than survival.

This sounds a lot like retirement. We love to travel and eat out, so not doing that would probably get boring on occasion, but if I could have my house and family I would be pretty comfortable and plenty happy. I'm not saying I would want to do it, but I could if I had to.
Posted By: blkt2

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 03:59 AM

I could easliy do it and would not want phone or internet.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 04:03 AM

Your post sounds kind of like a prepper post, which fine. I would say no to the 500 acre part if I was the only one there. That is too much to guard.

I would be leery of the IT reliability.

I would rather be wherever ntxtrapper is, west TX ranch, etc. than on that island.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 04:14 AM

It's not very appealing to me. Many places I still want to go see and history to visit.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 05:31 AM

Why is this a question? Yes. All my Caribbean trips are baby step practice runs.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 08:58 AM

What's the catch?
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 09:01 AM

I'll call it Fantasy Island
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 10:57 AM

Include a mute Mary Ann who can cook and this scenario would be absolutely perfecto.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 11:17 AM

What's the catch?

Easy peasy
Posted By: Greg

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Include a mute Mary Ann who can cook and this scenario would be absolutely perfecto.

roflmao
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 12:14 PM

Scenario:

Can I stay longer than 5 years.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 12:17 PM

Is this a real question confused2 hammer Well heck yes up

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by DannyB
Your post sounds kind of like a prepper post, which fine. I would say no to the 500 acre part if I was the only one there. That is too much to guard.

I would rather be wherever ntxtrapper is, west TX ranch, etc. than on that island.

Lol how do you get that this is a prepper post?

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Superduty
What's the catch?

Easy peasy

There is no catch. It’s just to see how many people, given most of their modern comforts, would be content staying in more or less one spot for an extended stay. 500 acres isn’t a postage stamp but it isn’t sprawling either. There would be no change of scenery, can’t leave the island. Visitors are allowed, but they have to come to you and not vice versa. Travel would be on them to get to the island and on them to get off the island. So think of your current friends/family and who would actually make that venture?

Personally, I would have a harder time with it, after a certain amount of time I would start to feel claustrophobic I think. Might take 6 months but I like to travel around and see different things.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by DannyB

Lol how do you get that this is a prepper post?

This is the THF, expect the unexpected when you post

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 01:11 PM

What's the catch?

Easy peasy

There is no catch. It’s just to see how many people, given most of their modern comforts, would be content staying in more or less one spot for an extended stay. 500 acres isn’t a postage stamp but it isn’t sprawling either. There would be no change of scenery, can’t leave the island. Visitors are allowed, but they have to come to you and not vice versa. Travel would be on them to get to the island and on them to get off the island. So think of your current friends/family and who would actually make that venture?

Personally, I would have a harder time with it, after a certain amount of time I would start to feel claustrophobic I think. Might take 6 months but I like to travel around and see different things.

I try to stay inside 70 acres for four days straight.

And when it's time to leave, I don't want to.

Whole lot of old Police and old Firemen get a major distain for people in general.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 01:37 PM

wait i get to spend everyday with my wife and kids for five year, with out BS democrat brainwashing

hell ya Im in!!!!
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
wait i get to spend everyday with my wife and kids for five year, with out BS democrat brainwashing

hell ya Im in!!!!

Agreed, sounds like heaven on earth.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 01:48 PM

500 acres isn't a very big land mass. The term island fever comes to mind. Could probably do it for a year. Five years is a long time. Would Jerry Jones still be GM after five years?

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
Would Jerry Jones still be GM after five years?

Yes, and Keith Richards is still with us as well

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 01:54 PM

hell ya Im in!!!!

So would your wife and kids be ok with that arraignment as well? My kids would go nuts. My wife would be ok for awhile I think.
Posted By: MO

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 02:38 PM

A friend from high school was dodging a grand jury for participating in the " White Oil " scandal up in the panhandle, I believe this was in the
late 80's.
He lived on a island off Belize ( no facilities of any kind, he arranged for someone bring out drinking water and supplies) for almost a year. He said it was fun for a while .

There is a lighthouse about 30 miles off the Belize coast, I was on a fishing trip many years ago and we stopped at the lighthouse for lunch.

The island was maybe 2 acres with a 1/4 acre cleared and a small hut built at the base of the lighthouse. The old man whose was the light keeper
would build a fire from coconut leaves daily about lunchtime. Charter boats in the area would stop and cook a shore lunch. I struck up a conversation with
the old fellow . He had been doing this since WW2, He looked ancient , but said he would go to the mainland about once a month to visit his girlfriend. smile
the fishing and dive charter boats would bring him beer and other supplies. He seemed very happy. there was a dive boat there at the same time
we were. I overheard on of the divers say " it is beautiful , but how long could you be happy living here ? " About two weeks would be enough" was the answer.

MO
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 03:30 PM

Could.
But not for me.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by J.G.
Scenario:

Can I stay longer than 5 years.

X2

Sounds like retirement to me, at least I think something similar is what I’ve been working my life towards…

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 03:47 PM

What's the catch?

Easy peasy

Whole lot of old Police and old Firemen get a major distain for people in general.

I’ve stayed a week at my place once without leaving. It’s enjoyable but there is a big difference between 7 days and 1800 plus days

It’s not the people part that would necessarily bother me, it’s the labeling confined to a certain place.

That’s why I said 500 acres. Not tiny like a 5 acre island but not huge like one of the Channel Islands (50k acres plus)

May seem big at first but I’m sure it would shrink on you pretty quick
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 04:27 PM

Yes but in the scenario you provided we don’t worry about work income etc. either. I could easily stay at the ranch and occupy myself… if I have to have the wife and kids it might be a no go.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 05:08 PM

I could do it in a heartbeat. I used to think my wife wouldn't, but the longer we go into some things the more she might be willing to do that. It would need to be a warm beach for her, nice white sand.

My ideal would probably be a more temperate island, but I would do just fine on a tropical one with her as well. Plus we would get some visitors with a nice beach.

Yep, count me in.

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Yes but in the scenario you provided we don’t worry about work income etc. either. I could easily stay at the ranch and occupy myself… if I have to have the wife and kids it might be a no go.

no, you don't have to worry about work, income or anything else. For simplicity's sake, lets say you will continue to receive your current salary each year for every year you stay.

You can choose to have the wife and kids with you, but they are free to come and go ( or not go to the island at all ) but you cannot leave.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 05:15 PM

May work for some of you youngsters, but us olds need to regularly see Dr's.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 05:31 PM

Scenario:

that's how I live here at the lodge. roflmao I just have a lot more tech access. lol on my 9th yr. too. bolt

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 05:43 PM

What's the catch?

Easy peasy

I’ve stayed a week at my place once without leaving. It’s enjoyable but there is a big difference between 7 days and 1800 plus days

It’s not the people part that would necessarily bother me, it’s the labeling confined to a certain place.

That’s why I said 500 acres. Not tiny like a 5 acre island but not huge like one of the Channel Islands (50k acres plus)

May seem big at first but I’m sure it would shrink on you pretty quick

I really think I would be fine. Since I'd have all the tools and equipment I have now, I would never be bored. Cutting and hauling timber, making roads, hunting and fishing.

Wish I could test this theory and let you know 5 years later my thoughts on it.

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by MO
A friend from high school was dodging a grand jury for participating in the " White Oil " scandal up in the panhandle, I believe this was in the
late 80's.
He lived on a island off Belize ( no facilities of any kind, he arranged for someone bring out drinking water and supplies) for almost a year. He said it was fun for a while .

There is a lighthouse about 30 miles off the Belize coast, I was on a fishing trip many years ago and we stopped at the lighthouse for lunch.

The island was maybe 2 acres with a 1/4 acre cleared and a small hut built at the base of the lighthouse. The old man whose was the light keeper
would build a fire from coconut leaves daily about lunchtime. Charter boats in the area would stop and cook a shore lunch. I struck up a conversation with
the old fellow . He had been doing this since WW2, He looked ancient , but said he would go to the mainland about once a month to visit his girlfriend. smile
the fishing and dive charter boats would bring him beer and other supplies. He seemed very happy. there was a dive boat there at the same time
we were. I overheard on of the divers say " it is beautiful , but how long could you be happy living here ? " About two weeks would be enough" was the answer.

MO

Really cool story! Thank you for sharing!
Posted By: Jamoke

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 06:57 PM

What's the catch?

Easy peasy

Old Soldiers too! We just want to be left alone. I would absolutely love this! I hate my cell phone. I remember all those years I didn't have one. I search for solitude in most of what I do. I have lived on islands in the past So no problem there.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 07:33 PM

Yes

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Scenario:

that's how I live here at the lodge. roflmao I just have a lot more tech access. lol on my 9th yr. too. bolt

Whats the longest you have gone without leaving the property?
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 08:18 PM

Scenario:

This scenario simple sounds like me on vacation.

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 08:50 PM

hell ya Im in!!!!

So would your wife and kids be ok with that arraignment as well? My kids would go nuts. My wife would be ok for awhile I think.

yes in a heart beat. Both kids are young so its an easy transition. No post pandemic/biden work stress… When do we start

Im already looking for property in Montana. I thought about selling out ranch and everything and just getting out of this rat race.
Posted By: R83steve

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 08:52 PM

When do we leave?

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 08:59 PM

hell ya Im in!!!!

I thought about selling out ranch and everything and just getting out of this rat race.

I mention this to my wife just about every day. Having two high school age kids makes it tough

Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 09:56 PM

Curveball…..there is one other inhabitant of the island….Texas Dan grin
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 11:41 PM

Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/29/23 11:52 PM

Does ganja grow wild on said island popcorn

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/30/23 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by jeepercreeper

For about 5 minutes.
Posted By: helomech

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/30/23 12:24 AM

4 years and 9 months I will be living on one like this. Selling everything I own.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/30/23 12:54 AM

I have known 4 people that lived on various islands. They all eventually got island fever and couldn’t wait to get back to the mainland. Those islands were St Eustacious, St Croix, and Oahu.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/30/23 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by jeepercreeper

For about 5 minutes.

Ditto - guess I am weird but I enjoy being around friends family and people - I enjoy interacting with those around me - I could do an island for a vacation and love it but for 5 years?? Nope --Butt ............. to each his own - if you are into it then more power to you
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/30/23 01:28 AM

Sounds more like a vacation to me, Im in
Posted By: ralph

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/30/23 03:52 PM

I don't know...I remember that congressman who was concerned Guam could get overloaded and turn over. If Guam can turn over... I'd be very hesitant on a smaller island...grin grin grin
Posted By: freerange

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/30/23 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ralph
I don't know...I remember that congressman who was concerned Guam could get overloaded and turn over. If Guam can turn over... I'd be very hesitant on a smaller island...grin grin grin

That was classic. Wish someone would repost that. We all need a good laugh.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/30/23 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by ralph

That was classic. Wish someone would repost that. We all need a good laugh.

...nah, that's not really what I meant... y'all didn't understand me...

PS And he's still in office!

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/30/23 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by helomech
4 years and 9 months I will be living on one like this. Selling everything I own.

[Linked Image]

I did a deal with an agent about a year ago who sold their place in Del Rio ( nice live water property with some rental cabins ) bought a sailboat and now her and her husband are sailing around the world with their two young kids. I think they are around the French Polynesian islands currently.

Pretty wild stuff but imo those are people who are truly free.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/30/23 06:00 PM

Mickey, thanks so much for reposting that. I dont think I ever laugh at anything more than that. I dont know how that Admiral kept a straight face. Him struggling to try and describe the size and shape of the island was as bad as the tumping over part.
And TxTro, this is very pertinent to your thread. A 500 acre island is much smaller and the risk of capsizing much greater. roflmao
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/30/23 11:35 PM

I seriously think I could do it , I cherish the time alone . Totally quiet and no one else around. Of course after a few months that feeling may change but I’d love to give it a try
Posted By: blanked

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/31/23 03:00 AM

Island fever is real. Theres a refinery on kuai. They cant keep workers there longer than 2 years before they have to get off the island permanently. Its a revolving door .

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/31/23 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by blanked
Island fever is real. Theres a refinery on kuai. They cant keep workers there longer than 2 years before they have to get off the island permanently. Its a revolving door .

i think id be alright on wildhorse island
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/31/23 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
I seriously think I could do it , I cherish the time alone . Totally quiet and no one else around. Of course after a few months that feeling may change but I’d love to give it a try

Me too, my only alone time is Fri and Sat nights and I really look forward to them

I will stay up to 1-2 am reading...its the only time I get without my phone ringing or someone wanting

I am tellin ya, I could do it

Oklahoma rifle season is my only other time all year where I can turn the phone and people wants off, I love it

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/31/23 03:51 AM

That would be a cool place to go. It’s a bit bigger at 2100 acres, but with Mule Deer and sheep, the fall season would be fun.

Would spend my time trying to kill a slammer Muley with my recurve.

Re: Could you live on an island? - 03/31/23 03:54 AM

That would be a cool place to go. It’s a bit bigger at 2100 acres, but with Mule Deer and sheep, the fall season would be fun.

Would spend my time trying to kill a slammer Muley with my recurve.

the lake is beautiful also.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum