Texas Hunting Forum

Best socket set

Posted By: jetdad

Best socket set - 12/11/22 11:48 PM

Suggestions? Thinking about this one. It's a Dewalt $149.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Best socket set - 12/11/22 11:50 PM

I like Williams and Proto.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 12:00 AM

I’ve had a Sears Craftsman 120 piece set for the last 25 years. It has served me well.
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 12:01 AM

I lose too many, so I buy what I can afford to lose and not cry.
Posted By: HandyMan91

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 12:08 AM

I have that same DeWalt set. It's been great for me, just don't kick or drop the case while it's open.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 12:31 AM

A buddy has the DeWalt set. He likes it a lot, and so do I. I should have gone with that instead of the Craftsman. It hasn’t been the best.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 12:51 AM

Get the one that has two 10mm sockets.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Get the one that has two 10mm sockets.

Great advice!
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 02:58 AM

My kids got me this one. We were always getting up and down working on stuff. Now we plop down the box and hardly have to get up to fetch something.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-250-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-in-4-Drawer-Case/5001920933

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 07:25 AM

Kobalt makes some good stuff, that’s for sure.
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
Kobalt makes some good stuff, that’s for sure.

I've never been impressed by their products but I have broken a socket or ratchet yet unlike husky and craftsman.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chickenman
My kids got me this one. We were always getting up and down working on stuff. Now we plop down the box and hardly have to get up to fetch something.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-250-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-in-4-Drawer-Case/5001920933

[Linked Image]

I have that same set that I keep out at our place in the boonies, and other than finding a nest of brown recluses inside it bolt , the kit has come in very handy a time or two.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 01:04 PM

[Linked Image]

This is a great option. APEX Tool Group has Gearwrench, Crescent, and other hand tool brands distributed nationwide. Their 'bolt biter' line and impact set(s) I have and use as well.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 01:10 PM

Martin Sprocket and gear has a fine line of hand tools.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 01:13 PM

I've still got Craftsman sockets and combination wrenches from 27 years ago.

That said, when I need to add any tools, I get Husky from Home Depot. I like them better than Kobalt from Lowe's and there's Home Depots all over the place. Whole lot easier to find than walking into a Sears.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
Suggestions? Thinking about this one. It's a Dewalt $149.

[Linked Image]

Amazon 4.8 stars with 5,419 reviews can't be bad
Posted By: therock

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 01:47 PM

I have had the dewalt for years. Been very good for me.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 01:48 PM

Do any of these kit's tools all stay where they're supposed to bouncing around a rocky ranch? I bought a cheap, but large Black & Decker set. I start every fix-it project pissed off, which, as you can imagine, affects the odds of a successful outcome of said project. realmad
Posted By: Greg

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 01:55 PM

When I was dating my wife for about a year and away for school, the alternator went out on her car. Her dad wanted her to take it to the Oldsmobile house and I said, no… I got this. Went and got a rebuilt one for maybe $120… couple bolts, nothing to it. That Christmas there was a big set of craftsman sockets/ratchets/wrenches for me under their tree. Those things have served me well over the years. Her parents were both really great people.

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Do any of these kit's tools all stay where they're supposed to bouncing around a rocky ranch? I bought a cheap, but large Black & Decker set. I start every fix-it project pissed off, which, as you can imagine, affects the odds of a successful outcome of said project. realmad

My old Craftsman plastic set stays put in the box. But when I I accidentally dump it when it’s open, it takes 20-30 minutes to find all the pieces and get them back in the right spot.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 07:02 PM

What...no Snap-On fanboys? They are way over rated and over priced.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
I’ve had a Sears Craftsman 120 piece set for the last 25 years. It has served me well.

This
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 08:57 PM

I still have the socket wrench out of one of those sets roflmao

The rest who knows

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

The rest who knows

I’ve only lost 1 piece, a Phillips head screwdriver insert. I also keep larger sockets and wrenches in the kit.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by kry226
Originally Posted by Chickenman

[Linked Image]

I have that same set that I keep out at our place in the boonies, and other than finding a nest of brown recluses inside it bolt , the kit has come in very handy a time or two.

Nope......

I've been carrying a set of standard & metric sockets in my truck tool box forever. Grabbed my old standard set the other day and the box is empty. Looked all in my tool box and no sockets. Where the hell did they go? This makes no sense....
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

The rest who knows

I’ve only lost 1 piece, a Phillips head screwdriver insert. I also keep larger sockets and wrenches in the kit.

I have a feeling my tool organization might give you some anxiety. Lol

It does Barnywho
Posted By: Black Duck Dog

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 09:28 PM

I have had Snap On for over 40 years. They are for people who make a living turning wrenches day in and day out. To expensive for hobby and rookies. My 2 cents
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 10:08 PM

When I was 14 or 15 I got the 45(?) piece Craftsman Mechanic tool set with the toolbox for my birthday.
I'm 61 now and I still have most of the originals. A few walked off or got mixed in with friend's tools as we worked together.
I have also added a bunch of stuff over the years.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Best socket set - 12/12/22 11:15 PM

When I was looking not long ago I ended up with Tekton. I'm not a professional mechanic, just for home use on the motorcycle and random mechanical stuff, but like them. The biggest thing though is that they were the best set I could find in that they are very extensive sets as far as sockets go, but don't include any of the other BS that most sets include like 100 screwdriver bits or allen keys.

https://www.tekton.com/6-point-socket-and-ratchet-set-bundle-skt95302
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best socket set - 12/13/22 03:36 AM

Been pretty happy with the craftsman set my parents gave me when I turned 16… 20 years ago now. I pulled a little too hard on the 1/4 inch ratchet and now it only works one direction. The 1/2 inch got full of water and rusted up. The plastic case still holds it but when my kids step on it I. The bed of the truck the stuff all comes loose on the inside and falls when you open it. Been thinking about replacing with kobalt or husky.
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Best socket set - 12/13/22 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by z71dustin
When I was looking not long ago I ended up with Tekton. I'm not a professional mechanic, just for home use on the motorcycle and random mechanical stuff, but like them. The biggest thing though is that they were the best set I could find in that they are very extensive sets as far as sockets go, but don't include any of the other BS that most sets include like 100 screwdriver bits or allen keys.

https://www.tekton.com/6-point-socket-and-ratchet-set-bundle-skt95302

I have several Tekton sets including that exact 1/4” kit and have been very pleased with them. I’m not sure there’s a better value out there for shade tree mechanic work.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Best socket set - 12/13/22 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

for real
i never knew that
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Best socket set - 12/14/22 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by butch sanders

for real
i never knew that

They are legit. All of my large sockets and wrenches from 1-3/4” to 3” are all Martin. They banged away on Cat heavy equipment daily for years and never failed.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Best socket set - 12/14/22 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
Originally Posted by butch sanders

for real
i never knew that

They are legit. All of my large sockets and wrenches from 1-3/4” to 3” are all Martin. They banged away on Cat heavy equipment daily for years and never failed.

Glad to hear that!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum