Texas Hunting Forum

Early dog training

Posted By: Hooker

Early dog training - 10/14/22 04:44 PM

Have a young (6 mos 0ld) short haired Aussie, have trainer her by voice and treat to sit and stay, however she is starting to ignore those commands, don't really like the shock collars so thought a liquid bottle blaster might do it...She loves it,, is there something that would make her dislike the water blasts to the eyes ? or possibly another idea
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 04:50 PM

Aussies are super smart. Surprised she's becoming hard headed. Interested in what the dog guru's are going to suggest.

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 04:58 PM

Surprised she's becoming hard headed. Interested in what the dog guru's are going to suggest. [/quote]
Originally Posted by dkershen
Aussies are super smart. Surprised she's becoming hard headed. Interested in what the dog guru's are going to suggest.

r
This is my fourth Aussie and admit the absolutely the most stubborn I have ever handled, starting to remember the German Shorthair that had a kill attitude.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 05:22 PM

Not saying an e-collar is the answer but why would you think a blast of water to the face and eyes is better than light stim on the e-collar that can be adjusted from barely perceptible to whatever you need?

The Dogtra Arc can be set to where the stim is less perceptible than even vibrate.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 06:22 PM

Your trying to modify behavior in an animal. Some need heavier correction than others.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 06:36 PM

E collar worked great for my Weimaraner and my drunk buddy.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 06:44 PM

In training the e collar is not punishment , it is used to teach the dog to turn off pressure. It can be used to reinforce those commands. I highly recommend an e collar paired with a training system of some sort. Even if you aren't training you dog to retrieve alot of the retriever training programs available are very good and the basis of most of them is obedience training. I used Dokken's book retriever training.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 07:10 PM

Shock collar in the hand of the wise is a perfect training tool in the hands of most of you yowill mess up a really nice dog
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by kdub
In training the e collar is not punishment , it is used to teach the dog to turn off pressure. It can be used to reinforce those commands. I highly recommend an e collar paired with a training system of some sort. Even if you aren't training you dog to retrieve alot of the retriever training programs available are very good and the basis of most of them is obedience training. I used Dokken's book retriever training.

Yes. Chesapeakes are known for the hard headedness and mine tunes right up with me just putting the collar on. There is a time and place for electricity.

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 08:15 PM

Thanks Guys,

At my age I really disliked being called names, Cheapskates ? Am just trying to help me and a loving dog get the best individual training I can offer, actually I do have a electrical collar however have be reluctant to use as taking regular collar off and on seems excessive and, I am not wise regarding electrical training and don't want to ruin a
fine pup.

thanks again from I guess, a newbee
Posted By: kdub

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 08:25 PM

m
Originally Posted by topwater13
Originally Posted by kdub

Yes. Chesapeakes are known for the hard headedness and mine tunes right up with me just putting the collar on. There is a time and place for electricity.

Mine is a chessie too!! up
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hooker
Thanks Guys,

At my age I really disliked being called names, Cheapskates ? Am just trying to help me and a loving dog get the best individual training I can offer, actually I do have a electrical collar however have be reluctant to use as taking regular collar off and on seems excessive and, I am not wise regarding electrical training and don't want to ruin a
fine pup.

roflmao no one called you a cheapskate. I never took the regular collar off when I put the e collar on. Didn’t take but about a week for her to learn what I wanted.

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 09:15 PM

Sorry, Guys,,, I miss read the Chesepeaks thing, should I kick the dog ? grin
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hooker
Thanks Guys,

fine pup.

Chesapeakes ....not Cheapskates
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 09:32 PM

I'm a firm believer in the E-Collar but ONLY when working with a pro trainer. E Collars can be improperly used.

I would suggest contacting some trainers who SPECIALIZE in Aussie's. Used properly the Ecollar is a great tool. Pain is a GREAT teacher.

Mexican Restaurant: "be careful, hot plate" first thing we humans do is what?. OOPS, burned your finger, you don't do it again do you???

Unless you're a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Some TOUGH azzed pups !!!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 10:42 PM

It’s not a shock collar, it’s a training collar. Learn how to use it correctly and dog trading will get much, much easier.

I’ve trained a few.

Re: Early dog training - 10/14/22 11:48 PM

NOTE:

I have really raised and trained a lot of dogs in my 90+ years, after the farm animals, to mostly purebreds, naming them all would take a book,, I guess the most interesting is Sarge, a Boxer we had trained at Ft Bragg while assigned to the 77th SFG, we jumped mainly into Panama, the dog had a T7 parachute modified by the Bragg chute guys, He absolutely loved to jump into the aircraft, however in his 37 jumps he refused ever to go out in the dark, soo, no senior wings for him, he later had to be kept at Bragg after contacting a terrible skin condition in the jungle. A great dog. I think I'm probably on my last friend if this one lasts 15-20 yrs. Thanks all.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Early dog training - 10/15/22 01:41 AM

As stated - e collar.

Dog must know every single command you’re trying to reinforce. Pressure on pressure off. Not punishment.

Highly advise not to use negative reinforcement like a squirt bottle for simply not listening to basic obedience commands.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Early dog training - 10/15/22 02:10 AM

A shock collar is a nice tool to have. If all you are wanting your pup to do is sit and stay. Don’t waste your money. If the dog knows the commands and is not obeying grab an ear and repetitively force her to do it. Sometimes a hands on approach is better. Especially if it’s something that simple.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum