Texas Hunting Forum

Spark plugs

Posted By: rickym

Spark plugs - 08/29/22 03:04 PM

Just found out my Ram with the Hemi in it, has 16 damn spark plugs! bang
Only replacing because I know it’s gotta be close to needing them.
Posted By: flashman252

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 03:12 PM

hopefully the come out nice and easy. Nothing can be worse than the spark plugs in a ford 4.6L 2006-2009 (I think, I can't honestly remember what year that ford was I had) model. Those plugs just shattered and never came out. The worst job I ever attempted and then found out they had recalls on them AFTER I tried replacing lol.

Take your time, get a good ratchet set with extensions and elbows, you got this.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 04:03 PM

You might want to watch a video on the ordeal before you jump into it. The ones back by the firewall can be a biatch to get at. Lots of u-joint extensions of various lengths come in handy.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by flashman252
hopefully the come out nice and easy. Nothing can be worse than the spark plugs in a ford 4.6L 2006-2009 (I think, I can't honestly remember what year that ford was I had) model. Those plugs just shattered and never came out. The worst job I ever attempted and then found out they had recalls on them AFTER I tried replacing lol.

Take your time, get a good ratchet set with extensions and elbows, you got this.

5.4, the 4.6 was pretty easy.

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen
You might want to watch a video on the ordeal before you jump into it. The ones back by the firewall can be a biatch to get at. Lots of u-joint extensions of various lengths come in handy.

I know, I’ve already watched videos. I’m pretty sure I can handle it and not have to pay $300-400 for someone else to do it. Just need a half day without rain when I don’t have to work!

Already at $180 in plugs alone!
Also doin air filter, cabin air filter, oil change ac pump at the same time. Should cost me around $1100 total doin it myself, and I’m not gonna spend at least another grand on labor and have the wife tell me I gotta cancel a hunt this year!

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

Old company truck 4.2 v6 was a pain to do the rear ones. At least those fords only have one per cylinder!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 05:15 PM

Yelp that rear passage side was some kind of demon from hell
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Yelp that rear passage side was some kind of demon from hell

fixing to find out what it's like on my 5.0.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 05:43 PM

Yep, I had 340,000 miles on my 2004 5.4. (the big issue years were 2004-2006). By the time I got to my 3rd plug change, I figured out how to get them out without breaking them.

I will say that the broken plug removal tool was pretty ingenious.

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 06:37 PM

I’ll change plugs on your ford if you change my plugs,( f150 owners)
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 06:40 PM

Bro it's not like changing swimming pool filters. Better take it somewhere trout

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by titan2232
Bro it's not like changing swimming pool filters. Better take it somewhere trout

Get out of here joker! You’ll be ghost for another 8 months!
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by rickym

Just wait till you find out about the lifter rollers/cam lobes! sick
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 10:30 PM

I forsee some skinned knuckles
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Spark plugs - 08/29/22 11:43 PM

How many miles on the plugs ?
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Spark plugs - 08/30/22 01:08 AM

roflmao

It’s not near of a hard job as they make it seem man, you’ll have it done in no time. 2hrs max.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Spark plugs - 08/30/22 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by oldoak2000

Just wait till you find out about the lifter rollers/cam lobes! sick

Have read those issues are caused by extended idling?
Posted By: TLew

Re: Spark plugs - 08/30/22 01:36 AM

I've changed plugs on a hemi before along with all the coil packs. It wasn't bad at all -- get after it!
Posted By: don k

Re: Spark plugs - 08/30/22 01:59 AM

[Linked Image]
It's easy once you get all the clutter out of the way.

Re: Spark plugs - 08/30/22 02:39 AM

Like I said prior, I’m doing it ahead of time. They were quality plugs 50k miles ago when the factory ones were changed. I’m just wanting to replace before it’s an issue.
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: Spark plugs - 08/30/22 01:04 PM

Trade it instead, much easier

Re: Spark plugs - 08/30/22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by huntingbig8
Trade it instead, much easier

More expensive as well.
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: Spark plugs - 08/30/22 01:58 PM

Last tune up on my 6.4 was 845.00. Being a work vehicle its a write off but still expensive

Re: Spark plugs - 08/31/22 02:01 PM

You're probably right. What did you do with Oxner?

Re: Spark plugs - 08/31/22 05:24 PM

You're probably right. What did you do with Oxner?

You’ll find out in due time. peep

Re: Spark plugs - 08/31/22 06:45 PM

Down for the count? Kicked the bucket? Out like a fat kid playing dodge ball?
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Spark plugs - 08/31/22 07:12 PM

Yep, 5.4 was the only truck I have owned that I did not replace the plugs myself. I watched my neighbor spend 8 hours on his and said no way. 4.6 was not bad at all. After the 5.4 spit number 6 I had enough.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum