Texas Hunting Forum

HVAC question

Posted By: ntxtrapper

HVAC question - 06/27/22 01:50 AM

Fairly new system and there was a slight change in sound while it was running but just for a second. Almost like a partial power outage and now it's running hot air. Outside fan runs, line set isn't frozen and a brand new filter. I turned it off for a few minutes and back on with no change. Any ideas?
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 01:57 AM

If I had to guess I'd say its a bad capacitor.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by TexasKC

Most likely
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbass357
Originally Posted by TexasKC

Most likely

If you know what you’re doing it’s handy to buy one online or Grainger just to have on hand.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 03:03 AM

If it is capacitor. Buy 2, one for next time.
Write date installed on the side of it with a marker.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
If it is capacitor. Buy 2, one for next time.
Write date installed on the side of it with a marker.

up

And make sure you know about handling capacitors. Good multi meter is also helpful.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 03:10 AM

You could have had a brown out or brief power outage. If so, there is a thermal overload deep inside compressor that probably tripped. It opens on high internal temperature of compressor. Compressor will not run untill the compressor cools a bit, almost to ambient temp. Thermal overload will reset and compressor will start and run.

Could 1 to 3 hours to reset.

This is common in extreme grid loads. Hope that was all that happened. Good luck
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 03:16 AM

When the capacitor failed on my outside unit the fan quit running.

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lazyjack
You could have had a brown out or brief power outage. If so, there is a thermal overload deep inside compressor that probably tripped. It opens on high internal temperature of compressor. Compressor will not run untill the compressor cools a bit, almost to ambient temp. Thermal overload will reset and compressor will start and run.

This is common in extreme grid loads. Hope that was all that happened. Good luck

And you are the winner! Thank you very much. I knew that brief power outage had something to do with it. It just needed to cool off and I'm blowing cold air again. Thanks again.
Posted By: nak

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 04:52 AM

Kill the breakers to the inside and outside units, then flip them back on.

Modern units have control boards in both the air handle and the compressor. Maybe cycling power will wake it up...

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by nak
Kill the breakers to the inside and outside units, then flip them back on.

Modern units have control boards in both the air handle and the compressor. Maybe cycling power will wake it up...

See above your post. Lazyjack nailed it.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

And you are the winner! Thank you very much. I knew that brief power outage had something to do with it. It just needed to cool off and I'm blowing cold air again. Thanks again.

Good deal
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 12:50 PM

Call the man.
Posted By: RayB

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 01:19 PM

If your going to play with a capacitor, after you turn the power off be sure and short across the terminals before touching them. They hold a charge. But do cycle the power before you do anything.

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Call the man.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Lotta newer units have a 5-min timeout timer in the control board. It helps protect the compressor from short-cycling.
If these power or cycle off for any reason, it waits 5 min before allowing compressor to restart. Maybe your power flickered and caused a timer cycle?
Posted By: Poppa

Re: HVAC question - 06/27/22 04:28 PM

it would still be a good idea to get a cap for the outdoor unit. its prolly a dual cap that serves the outdoor fan and compressor. it can and will fail on the fan side or comp side or both. unless you have an inverter driven unit which it dosent sound like you do.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum