Texas Hunting Forum

Hay prices in north, north east Texas

Posted By: cm250

Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 05/31/22 05:54 PM

Rolled my hay yesterday. 95% coastal, 5% Johnson grass. Still rocking an old John Deere 530 baler. So string tied but the big bales, not the small ones lots of people are making. Have checked internet, but can’t get a good idea what a fair price per bale would be. Not fertilized this year thanks to Beijing Biden, and no weeds. What you say all mighty THF wise men…..
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 05/31/22 06:01 PM

Not sure so far about this year but last year was paying $50 a bale.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 05/31/22 06:12 PM

What do they weigh on average?

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 05/31/22 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen
What do they weigh on average?

Don’t know as didn’t take any to weigh. They are tight big 63”(baler width)x72” John Deere bales.

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 05/31/22 07:23 PM

I use a Kubota 4x4 M5700 to move and stack bales. Not weighted or fluid in rear tires. Can move them individually using FEL, but always works better picking up a bale on rear forks to move across pasture and stack.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 05/31/22 09:07 PM

Fertilizer is so high, hay has to go up.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 05/31/22 09:17 PM

Fertilizer and diesel are both up. I expect prices to be quite a bit higher unless we get some really good rains and it helps on the supply end.
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 05/31/22 09:18 PM

We make our own and buy some.
We just bought some 4x5 rolls for $50/.
I don’t know about the fertilizer, my son made the deal.
I put chicken litter on my hay patches, I usually use commercial fertilizer with it, but not this year
These crazy prices are manufactured by a bunch of lunatics running our country.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 05/31/22 09:27 PM

I have no idea how much they go for on the retail end, but we recently had our place cut. The guy that cut it paid $5 per bale. All we did was watch it grow. no fertilizer, no herbicide, no tractor work, and no hauling.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 05/31/22 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
I have no idea how much they go for on the retail end, but we recently had our place cut. The guy that cut it paid $5 per bale. All we did was watch it grow. no fertilizer, no herbicide, no tractor work, and no hauling.

The land owner has the right to 1/3 of the hay. Or the $$ value of 1/3 of the hay. (round bales)

Last year I got $40 a bale, which was market value. This year, I expect it to rise significantly.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 05/31/22 10:05 PM

With it not being fertilized I'd say $50 a roll. I personally wouldn't buy unfertilized hay, just not enough nutrition in it.

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 05/31/22 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy
With it not being fertilized I'd say $50 a roll. I personally wouldn't buy unfertilized hay, just not enough nutrition in it.

Understand, have religiously fertilized for last 20-25 years, thanks to Beijing Biden, and fertilizer at $1200 a ton, not going to happen. Have only seen one person in the area fertilize this year. Not sure where he got his fertilizer, or what he put out, but acre to acre, I baled more than he did.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 05/31/22 11:39 PM

You'll get $45-$50 per bale all day long. Sold some to neighbor last week for $45 no questions asked.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 06/01/22 12:23 AM

I’d wager that coastal or jiggs true 5x6 will bring $75 in the Van Zandt/Smith/Hopkins/Wood county area. Probably more and that’s not fertilized but good clean hay. That’s based on it being below average rainfall so far this year and expected fairly dry summer.

With high fertilize costs and low rainfall expect it to get stupid.
Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 06/01/22 01:00 AM

I rolled almost 2000 bales last year and my average price was $65.00 for 5x5 net wrapped. Some was sprayed and fertilized, some wasn’t. Sold every bale I had. This year I’ll have less bales based on first cutting and I’m starting at $80 a bale. Loading some in an hour as a matter of fact. Anyone that has hay in February will be naming their price.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 06/01/22 01:09 AM

Around here fertilized costal is going for $85.00 big bales(Vermeer bailer net wrapped) and gone when they hit the ground! Most of em are headed to the Hill Country,
Posted By: Giblett

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 06/01/22 02:26 AM

Dont know much about hay but thinking about cutting the pipeline and high lines on the deer lease this year. What is the going rate for having it cut? Probably 1and half miles of pipeline and at least that much highline . Just looking to pay deer lease money and corn money not trying to get rich. Just hate to see it wasted when the pipeline crew shreds it later this summer.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 06/01/22 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by cm250
Originally Posted by Stompy

Understand, have religiously fertilized for last 20-25 years, thanks to Beijing Biden, and fertilizer at $1200 a ton, not going to happen. Have only seen one person in the area fertilize this year. Not sure where he got his fertilizer, or what he put out, but acre to acre, I baled more than he did.

Same here. I did not fertilize this Spring. The math don’t work.
Posted By: 4x4willie

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 06/01/22 04:03 AM

Around Brady had a guy selling hay grazer $115 round bale, my brother sold a few hay grazer for $85 said he has to sleep at night, it’s DRY here
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 06/01/22 11:04 AM

I talked a friend that bails up near Greenville recently who said they were getting $90.00 for fertilized bails.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 06/01/22 12:43 PM

non fertilized good cow quality - $60 - $70 per bale.
non fertilized typical pasture grass / mix grass hay - $40 - $50.
fertilized good cow quality - $80+ per bale.
fertilized horse quality, tested - $95+ per bale.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 06/01/22 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

The land owner has the right to 1/3 of the hay. Or the $$ value of 1/3 of the hay. (round bales)

Last year I got $40 a bale, which was market value. This year, I expect it to rise significantly.

So, you are saying that we were under-paid?
Posted By: Stub

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 06/01/22 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

So, you are saying that we were under-paid?

Sounds like it.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 06/01/22 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

x2
I've seen this coming, so experimented with crimson clover this past fall/early spring.
Based on test results, I plan to drill in inoculated seed this coming fall. Done right & inoculated, crimson clover can add 200# nitrogen per acre to the soil per season, & reseed itself timed just right.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 06/02/22 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by oldoak2000
Originally Posted by reeltexan

x2
I've seen this coming, so experimented with crimson clover this past fall/early spring.
Based on test results, I plan to drill in inoculated seed this coming fall. Done right & inoculated, crimson clover can add 200# nitrogen per acre to the soil per season, & reseed itself timed just right.

We tried clover in our front field but the late freeze got most of it. Will try again this year.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Hay prices in north, north east Texas - 06/02/22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar
We tried clover in our front field but the late freeze got most of it. Will try again this year.

yeah- the half I planted early this spring seemed to also burn off from freeze. Never flowered.

But the other half I planted late last fall survived all the winter/spring freezes and flowered & seeded this spring,
so looks like it helps it to be well established - my guess is it needs time for the inoculation to establish & generate strong plants to flower/seed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum