Texas Hunting Forum

Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least...

Posted By: PappawRock

Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 01:53 AM

A riveting read to me: https://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-wyattearp/
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 02:15 AM

Glad it is read and not watch. Love Cowboys books. cheers
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 02:19 AM

Fascinating time and people.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 01:15 PM

Did a lot of reading in the past on him. He was a crook and a con man. Folks wouldn't even know his name if he did promote himself in Hollywood.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy
Did a lot of reading in the past on him. He was a crook and a con man. Folks wouldn't even know his name if he did promote himself in Hollywood.

He was already famous long before he went to Hollywood. That little argument at the OK Corral cemented his place in history. But yes, he wasn't exactly a model citizen in any regard.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 02:02 PM

My take away about him was at times he had to go outside the lines a bit, to get things done. To call him a crook and a conman, I would never do such a thing.

The Clantons and Mclowries were real, and they were P.O.S. people. Some times good men have to do bad things to set things right.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 02:05 PM

Yep, I'd take his legacy.
Posted By: Sailor

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by PappawRock

Excellent ! cheers
Posted By: Sailor

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
My take away about him was at times he had to go outside the lines a bit, to get things done. To call him a crook and a conman, I would never do such a thing.

The Clantons and Mclowries were real, and they were P.O.S. people. Some times good men have to do bad things to set things right.

Yep. And we got a young man, on trial right now, for doing what had to be done.. rifle

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 02:11 PM

All you have to do is read up on him to find out what kind of person he was long before Tombstone and after. The OK corral incident was a mere footnote until he got to Hollywood and promoted it. Before you disagree with me why not read and educate yourself before forming an opinion on my opinion.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 02:17 PM

All you have to do is read up on him to find out what kind of person he was long before Tombstone and after. The OK corral incident was a mere footnote until he got to Hollywood and promoted it. Before you disagree with me why not read and educate yourself before forming an opinion on my opinion.

I have read about a 600 page bigraphy about him.

You should know as well as anyone, it just depends on your source of information.

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 02:26 PM

I have read about a 600 page bigraphy about him.

You should know as well as anyone, it just depends on your source of information.

True, what I've read about him all form a similar opinion of him. Wasn't there so I'm forming my opinion off of that, same as you. I don't really care about his legacy good or bad. The movies that everyone loves (including myself) makes him out to be something he wasn't, and that the fictional legacy he wanted to leave.

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 02:59 PM

Thomas Jefferson, George and others owned slaves. you can choose to relish the bad or the good, it's your choice. Nones is perfect.

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Thomas Jefferson, George and others owned slaves. you can choose to relish the bad or the good, it's your choice. Nones is perfect.

Apple's and Orange's, at that time slavery was legal. That's different from being a con and crook.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion of him, just stating mine. If he's your hero, then so be it.
Posted By: Streater

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 03:28 PM

Great read. Please post more.

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

Apple's and Orange's, at that time slavery was legal. That's different from being a con and crook.

Good point Stompy. His legacy does remain intact and there are many who would view it as that of being a hard nosed law man who stood up for others which is something we don't see often enough. His standing up for others may have only been because of selfish interests, but others certainly benefitted from his actions. Wonder if he did more harm than good? Sorry he wasn't perfect.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Wyatt Earp - a colorful legend to say the least... - 11/10/21 05:16 PM

Dig into any celebrity, and most likely the confines of any individual person and you will likely find at least something to judge them poorly on. Folks are not perfect, none of them, not me not you not nobody.

Men, or man, who coined the term and decides who is and who isnt a man by what set of rules lol. I find it funny to see "men" getting this caught up in what who thinks of what celebrity of the past that none of us have any real knowledge of.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum